• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Teresa Banks and the Last Seven Days of Laura Palmer

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tiqpgjn.jpg

Original Title: Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me
Original Release Date: Aug. 1992
Original Run Time: 135 min.

Fanedit Release Date: Aug. 2014
Fanedit Run Time: 209 min.

Brief Synopsis: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is the prequel film to the cult favorite television show Twin Peaks. It chronicles the last seven days of Laura Palmers life leading up to her death. When originally released nearly an hour and a half of deleted and extended footage had been cut, and for over twenty years fans have been clamoring to for this footage.

Intention: To produce a version of the film that was as close to the shooting script as possible.

Additional Notes: I’d like to thank theslime, addiesin, and Neglify for their recommendations, support and feedback. Extra special thanks to jlyon1515 who supplied the legends for this edit as well as the cover art.

Release Information: Blu-Ray (coming soon), 1080p MP4

Special Features: (BD ver. only) Cooper & Diane Deleted Scene, trailers

Changes: Re-incorporate most of the deleted scenes, re-organized some scenes, added originally scripted legends, minor editing to existing scenes that overlapped with alternate shots in extended scenes. Three scenes that didn't make the cut: Cooper talking to Diane, Bobby giving Laura $10k, and Bobby testing drugs in the woods. These were left out because there was no good way to make them adjacent scenes.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
NICE! I'm rewatching the series now, and I'm debating whether I should wait until I'm done or not. First world problems. ;)

I actually really enjoyed Bobby's two scenes (more than the Cooper/Diane scene), shame they couldn't be reinstated. But I trust your judgment 100 percent on this, and the scenes are on the box if I ever want to watch them again. (And they're completely unnecessary story-wise, since Bobby explains it all later.)

Great cover, btw. I hate those usual Laura montages. This looks so much better.

mysteryman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love the cover art, it looks absolutely stunning! I am sure this is gonna be a treat to watch. One question though: When and where will this be available to download?

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
not done yet, but maybe ill get to start watching this on my lunch break.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mysteryman said:
Love the cover art, it looks absolutely stunning! I am sure this is gonna be a treat to watch. One question though: When and where will this be available to download?

Jlyon1515 did a great job with the cover art. He will be tweaking it this week but he was kind enough to send me his WOP so that I submit it.

As for where it can be found see if it's up on info.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
im curious, did you include the deleted Dale scene in the bathroom or end the movie with Laura and the Angel, like in the original film.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I included it.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok someone help me understand things, by adding the deleted Dale Cooper bathroom scene/Annie in the hospital,
where did the events of the series take place?

sonnybaker

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The edit is good but some things would be improved if you simply read the script or the script-to-screen analysis. Like you would've figured out where to put Laura and Bobby at the locker and Bobby and the fake drugs (hint: it's not after the heartbreaking school montage, which you also could've figured out by the outfit she's wearing). The ending feels awkward. It makes sense to end with the angel scene because time in the lodge is non-linear but having the shot of Laura's corpse after the "some months later" scenes does not work because time in the real world is, of course, linear -- even as an artistic choice it came off as a bit sloppy. Coop's last scene in The Black Lodge in The Missing Pieces is actually supposed to be the last scene before Laura's Angel. If you look at the crossfade between Laura's corpse in the theatrical cut and Coop's face in The Missing Pieces, they both lead into the same shot.

The crossfade between Buenos Aires and the shot of the security cameras felt unnecessary, as with the fading in and out of the trucker scene (which could have just cut to on the last beat of Norwegian music).

The several different subtitle fonts could've been corrected if you'd just used the MK2 bluray as your source for the Partyland and Black Lodge scenes, as that release doesn't have any subtitles. That way, you could just add them using the Missing Pieces font which appears to be a variation of Century Gothic. I'm sure you could have later color-corrected the scenes to match the recent blu-ray but I guess that's what happens when you pump out a fan edit in a week.

Nice job on everything else though! Bloody good regardless of the short amount of time you did it in!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fuck! I did an edit and not a reply. I seriously did not mean to do that. Can you send me what you wrote again and I'll correct it? So sorry about that!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going from memory on what [MENTION=17342]sonnybaker[/MENTION] said. (Sorry again, dude. Feel terrible about that.)

RE: Bobby/Laura scene. You mentioned if I'd read through the script I would know that where it is in the theatrical cut isn't where it belonged. I did read through the script, but my goal wasn't to do a full-on re-edit adhering to the script.

RE: Subtitles and using the MK2 Blu-Ray. I did use the Blu-Ray that came with the boxset. If you're referring to another version that was released I wasn't going to double dip yet again. I've bought the complete series and movie on VHS, DVD, and now the Blu-Ray.

RE: Fades of Buenos Aires. I disagree. A straight cut felt awkward to me which is why I went with fades. I generally don't like fades myself, but Lynch pulls them off well, and it didn't feel out of place to me which is why I went with it.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sonnybaker said:
The edit is good but some things would be improved if you simply read the script or the script-to-screen analysis. Like you would've figured out where to put Laura and Bobby at the locker and Bobby and the fake drugs (hint: it's not after the heartbreaking school montage, which you also could've figured out by the outfit she's wearing). The ending feels awkward. It makes sense to end with the angel scene because time in the lodge is non-linear but having the shot of Laura's corpse after the "some months later" scenes does not work because time in the real world is, of course, linear -- even as an artistic choice it came off as a bit sloppy. Coop's last scene in The Black Lodge in The Missing Pieces is actually supposed to be the last scene before Laura's Angel. If you look at the crossfade between Laura's corpse in the theatrical cut and Coop's face in The Missing Pieces, they both lead into the same shot.

I did read through the script, but my goal wasn't to do a full-on re-edit adhering to it but to re-incorporate the deleted/extended scenes as they fell into the cut as Lynch presented it.

The crossfade between Buenos Aires and the shot of the security cameras felt unnecessary, as with the fading in and out of the trucker scene (which could have just cut to on the last beat of Norwegian music).

I disagree. A straight cut felt awkward to me which is why I went with fades. I generally don't like fades myself, but Lynch pulls them off well, and it didn't feel out of place to me which is why I went with it.

The several different subtitle fonts could've been corrected if you'd just used the MK2 bluray as your source for the Partyland and Black Lodge scenes, as that release doesn't have any subtitles. That way, you could just add them using the Missing Pieces font which appears to be a variation of Century Gothic. I'm sure you could have later color-corrected the scenes to match the recent blu-ray but I guess that's what happens when you pump out a fan edit in a week.

I did use the Blu-Ray that came with the boxset. If you're referring to another version that was released I wasn't going to double dip yet again. I've bought the complete series and movie on VHS, DVD, and now the Blu-Ray.

Nice job on everything else though! Bloody good regardless of the short amount of time you did it in!

Thank you for the comments. When you have a chance please consider posting this on IFDB, too.

mysteryman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched the whole thing and wow, I am amazed at how well this was edited together. Some scenes were placed in different places than in the script (like the Laura and James scene in front of the Palmer house) but it still works, and I would have liked to see the three missing deleted scenes in there but I can fully understand that they would possibly interefere with the flow of the film.

My only real issue was that the captions with the days were all wrong up until "Tuesday - Two Days Before". It starts on a Thursday (not a Friday), and the day Laura sees her Dad coming out of the house is a Friday and not a Saturday (later in the film Leland says to Laura in the car, "Oh...I did stop home on Friday come to think of it" when confronted). The Partyland scene therefore takes place on Saturday and not a Sunday (it doesn't really make sense anyone would go out partying on a Sunday...). When Leland picks up Laura at Donna's the next day it is therefore Sunday as they are meeting Sarah for breakfast (explains why no one is in school that day). There are actually no scenes taking place on the Monday so the days are all correct from Tuesday on.

Other than that this was a fantastic fanedit beginning to end. The scenes glided very easily together and had you never seen this movie before you could never tell it was edited.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mysteryman said:
Just watched the whole thing and wow, I am amazed at how well this was edited together. Some scenes were placed in different places than in the script (like the Laura and James scene in front of the Palmer house) but it still works, and I would have liked to see the three missing deleted scenes in there but I can fully understand that they would possibly interefere with the flow of the film.

When I get back from my trip I'll do a comparison so people can see why the Cooper/Diane scene didn't work. Several people have made comments about this and I should probably show why it was a necessary cut.

My only real issue was that the captions with the days were all wrong up until "Tuesday - Two Days Before". It starts on a Thursday (not a Friday), and the day Laura sees her Dad coming out of the house is a Friday and not a Saturday (later in the film Leland says to Laura in the car, "Oh...I did stop home on Friday come to think of it" when confronted). The Partyland scene therefore takes place on Saturday and not a Sunday (it doesn't really make sense anyone would go out partying on a Sunday...). When Leland picks up Laura at Donna's the next day it is therefore Sunday as they are meeting Sarah for breakfast (explains why no one is in school that day). There are actually no scenes taking place on the Monday so the days are all correct from Tuesday on.

I could go into a long-winded explanation of why I did this but the short answer is the positioning of scenes. If I kept the Double 'R' labeled Fri., and then didn't shift other scenes around, it would jump to Sun. then to Tues. I was trying to adhere to the theatrical cut, not the script.

As for the Party Land scene, why wouldn't a homecoming queen who probably feels she's losing her mind, strung out on coke, and prostitutes herself go out on a Sun.? :)

(But dammit... you make a valid point.)

When I get back in a week I'll see if I can shift scenes around to more closely follow the script for the BD version.

Other than that this was a fantastic fanedit beginning to end. The scenes glided very easily together and had you never seen this movie before you could never tell it was edited.

Happy you enjoyed it, and thank you for the comments.

sonnybaker

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I was trying to adhere to the theatrical cut, not the script.
The problem is that the only way for some of the scenes to work is by following the script unless The Missing Pieces footage suggests otherwise (like the last scene of Coop in the Black Lodge suggests it directly proceeds Laura and her angel). If not, then we have plotholes/continuity errors, such as Jeferies saying "February 1989" and Laura's ceiling fan scene showing up twice, or not all the scenes fitting into the film, like the three scenes you had to cut. Lynch probably didn't reorder or switch around sequences until he had to cut it down to 2hrs, so everything should just be restored to their original place, for example: the scenes of Laura with James/the ceiling fan going right before Leo and Shelly instead of after Laura and Bobby in the woods and all the Philadelphia scenes being "one year later" instead of apart of 1988.

With all the new Philadelphia scenes, it works better as its own 1989 sequence, as originally intended, instead of among all the Teresa Banks/Chester Desmond stuff. Everything thrown in there as 1988 the way it was in the edit made things a little overwhelming and confusing to me. The pacing is all off.

One thing that personally bothers me - probably not others - are the added fades to black. For example: the last shot of Harold and the last shot of Leland while thinking about Teresa's murder do not need to be faded to black - they weren't there in the first place and it flows fine without it. If Lynch wanted fades, he would've added fades. Too many fades makes it all feel sort of lazy and doesn't feel right.

Also, wouldn't it make sense to just have no monday and jump right to tuesday instead of beginning the film six days before her death even though the title - and film - promises seven?

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If moving the Jeffries action back to 1989 is so easy, I suggest you do it yourself. Just sayin'. Since the scripted line of Cole saying Desmond is GONE LIKE THE WIND IN DEER MEADOW was either never shot or just not restored for the Missing Pieces, you're left with either keeping the whole sequence in 1988 or a weird sequence of events where Cooper just goes to see Sam Stanley without being told that Desmond is gone. I prefer the first solution. The fact that Cole's line is gone is also what makes the Diane scene impossible to reinstate (if you want an enjoyable movie, that is), there's just no place to put it anymore.

rewak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's only a few things i'd change in the edit:
Remove the apostrophe from the title so it's as it appears on the cover art (just being pedantic here, it feels wrong with the apostrophe)
Re-insert the scene with Bobby giving Laura 10k (it plays into important events in the series unlike the other two scenes left out)
Fix the days as others have mentioned
Move Laura being uncovered before the "Few months later" title card, again as others have mentioned

The rest, well done!

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to make a blanket statement that relates to some of the criticism brought up on this thread. First off I should say it's always great on here when there is honest feedback (as long as it is done in a constructive and respectful way). That being said, when it comes to fanedits that are extended editions, just because there are a ton of deleted scenes doesn't mean they should all be included. A faneditor has to make choices about which should be included, which can be incorporated successfully etc.

I'm sure Q2 doesn't want or need my help defending himself (nor is that my objective with this post). But it's easy as a viewer to say: "well i would have done this, that, and this" without actually doing any of the editing. Editing is not magic. It's very easy to imagine in your head how an edit should be and it's another thing entirely to actually carry out the editing and attempt to achieve that vision.

Anyway, before I thoroughly derail this thread, I'd just like to say if you think certain scenes could still have been incorporated etc, give it a try yourself. 1) You'll get your feet wet with editing (and we could always use new faneditors on here) and 2) You'll get first hand feedback on whether some of your criticisms are legitimate.

sonnybaker

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
a weird sequence of events where Cooper just goes to see Sam Stanley without being told that Desmond is gone. I prefer the first solution.
Conformation of his disappearance is the fact that Coop is looking for him. The insinuation would be that Cooper was assigned to follow up on the Desmond disappearance, so after Desmond disappears then we go to Philadelphia for the Diane scene, then Coop at Stanley's then Fat Trout. Simple. We get it. He's investigating. We don't need to be spoon fed exposition to make this any more clear. Then, we go one year later for the Jeferies return.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got this last night. Will give a watch and a review soon.

Top Bottom