• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Fan Edit Of The Year (FEOTY) 2021: and the WINNERS are...! here Congratulations!

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Teresa Banks and the Last Seven Days of Laura Palmer

thejaff

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
Not really the minimal problem you might think it is. For example, I would be more inclined to be doing it myself if it weren't a legal issue as I'm sure others are. Many others have been stopped as well, and for the work they put into it, I bet they wouldn't describe it as minimal. I didn't broach any subject that wasn't mentioned so far in this thread, and no one else seems to have been singled out for doing so. I discussed nothing that was regard to sharing sites, or how to share the files. I mentioned no sites, no methods of doing so by circumventing anything, nor do I mention anything to do with piracy. I suggested a possible legal way the rightful owners might choose to offer such material a venue that if done legally would be no different than any other legal distribution of bonus material, akin to being on the discs themselves, or having a link on the disc that leads rightful owners to a repository of edited works. The logistics wouldn't be a nightmare.. not being lazy about changing the way we all think about these things would be the difficult part. Again, I wish to thank Q2 for his hard work, and that's the reason I posted the above, and felt compelled to explain myself more clearly. The work he put into this edit DOES make it a big deal in my opinion. I really don't feel I'm off topic discussing the work that went into this edit, as well as other on and off this site. If that's a problem, and I'm not being threatening here, I mean this in a heartfelt way.. if that's a problem, then this might not be the right place for me. I'm sorry, and I mean no offense by that. It would be due to my views... Its a sad prospect is all... When a fellow TP fans does something like this.. I feel almost proud of the work.. and yes its akin to loving a football team that you aren't on... but I would love to be here discussing its value to fans. If I'm not welcome, let me know.
 

addiesin

Well-known member
Messages
5,349
Reaction score
795
Trophy Points
163
thejaff said:
Not really the minimal problem you might think it is. For example, I would be more inclined to be doing it myself if it weren't a legal issue as I'm sure others are. Many others have been stopped as well, and for the work they put into it, I bet they wouldn't describe it as minimal. I didn't broach any subject that wasn't mentioned so far in this thread, and no one else seems to have been singled out for doing so. I discussed nothing that was regard to sharing sites, or how to share the files. I mentioned no sites, no methods of doing so by circumventing anything, nor do I mention anything to do with piracy. I suggested a possible legal way the rightful owners might choose to offer such material a venue that if done legally would be no different than any other legal distribution of bonus material, akin to being on the discs themselves, or having a link on the disc that leads rightful owners to a repository of edited works. The logistics wouldn't be a nightmare.. not being lazy about changing the way we all think about these things would be the difficult part. Again, I wish to thank Q2 for his hard work, and that's the reason I posted the above, and felt compelled to explain myself more clearly. The work he put into this edit DOES make it a big deal in my opinion. I really don't feel I'm off topic discussing the work that went into this edit, as well as other on and off this site. If that's a problem, and I'm not being threatening here, I mean this in a heartfelt way.. if that's a problem, then this might not be the right place for me. I'm sorry, and I mean no offense by that. It would be due to my views... Its a sad prospect is all... When a fellow TP fans does something like this.. I feel almost proud of the work.. and yes its akin to loving a football team that you aren't on... but I would love to be here discussing its value to fans. If I'm not welcome, let me know.

I stopped reading about half-way through because the font on this site isn't conducive to reading long paragraphs and it felt like it was getting into ramble territory; you're wordy, man. Anyway, I'm not a mod or anything but only one page back was this:

TV's Frink said:
Please keep discussion focused on the edit itself, rather than distribution or lack thereof.

You're likely not going to change copyright law yourself and definitely not from this thread. Tread carefully.
 

saturn5

Member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
thejaff said:
Not really the minimal problem you might think it is. For example, I would be more inclined to be doing it myself if it weren't a legal issue as I'm sure others are. Many others have been stopped as well, and for the work they put into it, I bet they wouldn't describe it as minimal. I didn't broach any subject that wasn't mentioned so far in this thread, and no one else seems to have been singled out for doing so. I discussed nothing that was regard to sharing sites, or how to share the files. I mentioned no sites, no methods of doing so by circumventing anything, nor do I mention anything to do with piracy. I suggested a possible legal way the rightful owners might choose to offer such material a venue that if done legally would be no different than any other legal distribution of bonus material, akin to being on the discs themselves, or having a link on the disc that leads rightful owners to a repository of edited works. The logistics wouldn't be a nightmare.. not being lazy about changing the way we all think about these things would be the difficult part. Again, I wish to thank Q2 for his hard work, and that's the reason I posted the above, and felt compelled to explain myself more clearly. The work he put into this edit DOES make it a big deal in my opinion. I really don't feel I'm off topic discussing the work that went into this edit, as well as other on and off this site. If that's a problem, and I'm not being threatening here, I mean this in a heartfelt way.. if that's a problem, then this might not be the right place for me. I'm sorry, and I mean no offense by that. It would be due to my views... Its a sad prospect is all... When a fellow TP fans does something like this.. I feel almost proud of the work.. and yes its akin to loving a football team that you aren't on... but I would love to be here discussing its value to fans. If I'm not welcome, let me know.

I suggest you make a new topic about this idea you have, I seriously don't think it belongs in this topic.
A moderator asked us earlier in the topic to (Quote) "Please keep discussion focused on the edit itself, rather than distribution or lack thereof."

I'd rather read about your love for this edit and Twin peaks.
For example, write a review like I did =)


 

thejaff

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
If I don't respond as you intended and flame away at you, I won't have to "tread carefully". You might not be a mod, but I will honor your request and not mention distribution. I will respond to your post however. Your post does appear to be a shortcut to thinking... change copyright laws? Really? Where on earth did you get that? I'm not sure if you are familiar with the movie Amadeus.. but you are really painting yourself into the corner of being "that guy"... Too many notes ;-). How can you honestly say I didn't read it. but I'll respond to it, without laughing yourself out of your chair? Don't worry though.. I will do your logistical thinking for you. I didn't feel my suggestion applied to the idea of distribution, any more than you saying the word distribution in your post. I was suggesting something new. Something hasn't been discussed, and it was in reference to Q2s edit specifically, though it applies to all. It was coupled to a comment about the edit, and was no more a waste of time than signatures. Anyway, you seem to want a standoff, so I'll give it to you. I will mention no more, if you can refrain from it as well. I feel I've said all I need to, unless you add to it once again. If you comment back, you can be sure I will as well. If you can hold your tongue, I will as well. Deal?
 

thejaff

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
saturn5 said:
I suggest you make a new topic about this idea you have, I seriously don't think it belongs in this topic.
A moderator asked us earlier in the topic to (Quote) "Please keep discussion focused on the edit itself, rather than distribution or lack thereof."

A much better idea.. I apologize, and if a mod would like to remove my above post (please without removing my thanks to Q2) I would be very happy with that... I agree it has outgrown the intent of this thread and again.. my apologies. I take at least half the responsibility for that. ;-)
 

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
23,633
Reaction score
295
Trophy Points
193
Move along please.
 

Neglify

Well-known member
Messages
13,969
Reaction score
24
Trophy Points
123
Q2 was boss enough to send me a BD for v2.1 and I can gladly say this is the closest we'd get to what Lynch would have put out, had he decided to release it like this. I have revised my review on IFDB.


A/V Quality – 10/10. Very nice!


Editing – 9/10.
Version 1 was a little bumpy and felt rushed. Q2 has gone back and fixed the issues and the result is a smoother experience, allowing one to get fully immersed in the world of Twin Peaks. There were still a couple small things that I think could have been done better, but I'm in the minority and to most they'd be tiny nitpicks.


Narrative/Improvement – 9/10.
In terms of the-(almost-)longest-version-you-could-watch, this was excellent. The pacing was great and the editor chose well for what goes where.


Enjoyment – 10/10
Hells to the yes this extended version was awesome!
 

LatheOfHeaven

Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
I haven't watched it yet (like another mentioned earlier here, I think I will watch the series again first) but I think it is outstanding and very AWESOME that someone has taken the time and effort to create this FanEdit, reinserting and blending (which likely represents MOST of the work :) ) the deleted footage. I truly cannot wait to see it and see how it impacts the overall story, etc.

I have just one thing that makes me REALLY curious. And, I promise that in NO way do I mean any lack of appreciation for this fine work; not at all.

BUT... I just kind of wonder, why was the audio done in the AC3 @320...??? I mean, to go to ALL this work and time and trouble and effort, and with the original source in HD audio, INCLUDING the 'Missing pieces', I just cannot understand why after doing all this beautiful work in 1080 with the full LOVELY restored uncompressed HD footage, why would a person only use an AC3 @320 audio track...???!! I am honestly completely baffled by this. I mean, it is not even at full DVD resolution (448)

Like I said, I REALLY do NOT mean any disrespect or criticism, but I am at a TOTAL loss as to why the sound was done at such a low quality compared to the original HD audio? Was there some reason for the editing or somehow to enable the 'blending' of the two sources and that was the ONLY way it could be done?

I'm just tremendously curious about this, because I'm thinking that if the full already available HD audio was used 'as is', then this would be an unquestioned Masterpiece in it's best form. Otherwise, if this fan edit was with the full HD elements, including the audio, I wouldn't even bother to watch the theatrical print included in the new set, but I would go directly to this edit as likely the preferred version of the film. BUT... with the audio so hugely diminished, it honestly makes me want to watch the theatrical first so that I can enjoy the full HD audio, and THEN go back to this edit to enjoy the story but not have to miss the full HD audio. You know what I mean...?

Thanks in advance for your understanding of my intent in this post (my very first one :) ) I truly am deathly curious as to why the sound was done this way.

Cheers!
 

saturn5

Member
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
LatheOfHeaven said:
I haven't watched it yet (like another mentioned earlier here, I think I will watch the series again first) but I think it is outstanding and very AWESOME that someone has taken the time and effort to create this FanEdit, reinserting and blending (which likely represents MOST of the work :) ) the deleted footage. I truly cannot wait to see it and see how it impacts the overall story, etc.

I have just one thing that makes me REALLY curious. And, I promise that in NO way do I mean any lack of appreciation for this fine work; not at all.

BUT... I just kind of wonder, why was the audio done in the AC3 @320...??? I mean, to go to ALL this work and time and trouble and effort, and with the original source in HD audio, INCLUDING the 'Missing pieces', I just cannot understand why after doing all this beautiful work in 1080 with the full LOVELY restored uncompressed HD footage, why would a person only use an AC3 @320 audio track...???!! I am honestly completely baffled by this. I mean, it is not even at full DVD resolution (448)

Like I said, I REALLY do NOT mean any disrespect or criticism, but I am at a TOTAL loss as to why the sound was done at such a low quality compared to the original HD audio? Was there some reason for the editing or somehow to enable the 'blending' of the two sources and that was the ONLY way it could be done?

Hi LatheOfHeaven!

I've already asked Q2 about this, this was his answer:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by saturn5
Well anyway, to the point. Just got a hold of a copy of your BD25 of Fire walk with me, to my surprise, you've stuck with 320kbps AC3 for this version also, any special reason for that? I can see why on 720p Mp4...but a Full HD 1080p Bluray, it feels a bit odd to me, anyway, I'm curious so let me know!



It's a crapshoot in rendering stuff out to make it all fit within the 25GB limit. Between the video bitrate, the audio bitrate, menus, extras, etc. it takes several tries get everything to fit properly. Since it was BR I elected to up the video bitrate and leave the AC3 the same to ensure I didn't have to render everything out again (which takes 8-10 hours).


Hope that this answers your question =)
 

reave

Well-known member
Staff member
Messages
4,339
Reaction score
52
Trophy Points
53
BDRebuilder makes BD rendering issues obsolete. Q2 could render the BD with the lossless audio, and then correct the size with BDRebuilder.
 

LatheOfHeaven

Member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
reave said:
BDRebuilder makes BD rendering issues obsolete. Q2 could render the BD with the lossless audio, and then correct the size with BDRebuilder.

First, a sincere 'Thank you!' to Saturn5 above which DOES indeed explain at least why he chose to do so. I hadn't thought of that, since as our fearless Admin here states, I too am quite conversant with BDRB, so it didn't occur to me that he may have limited himself due to the BD-25 size.

However, the main point was that I was REALLY curious as to why and now I know, thank you! And, again not to diminish any heartfelt appreciation for Q2's wonderful effort, but our Admin's comment above is a VERY good point to keep in mind perhaps for future reference...

I really appreciate the excellent answers!

Cheers!
 

rickytan

New member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
After having heard about it numerous times, I finally got into Twin Peaks after the new box set released. I watched through the TV series through August and as soon as I realised that there were 1.5 hours of deleted scenes for Fire Walk With Me, I scoured the internet to find if anybody had mashed them together. Looks like I'm too late :-(

I'd love to see this some day but it looks like I'll have to just keep watching them separately for now. Good effort, though!
 

Q2

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
7,904
Reaction score
1,133
Trophy Points
163
rickytan said:
After having heard about it numerous times, I finally got into Twin Peaks after the new box set released. I watched through the TV series through August and as soon as I realised that there were 1.5 hours of deleted scenes for Fire Walk With Me, I scoured the internet to find if anybody had mashed them together. Looks like I'm too late :-(

I'd love to see this some day but it looks like I'll have to just keep watching them separately for now. Good effort, though!

Someone is seeding it on one of the more popular sites. I won't say where, but it shouldn't be too hard to track down.
 

Vultural

Well-known member
Donor
Messages
3,073
Reaction score
3
Trophy Points
43
I'm currently rewatching S01, after 20+ years (caught it when it initially aired).
I have viewed your edit, Q2, and I will scribble a review, but I do want to refresh myself again ...
... without getting too infuriated with Lynch.
I understand the proper chronology for viewing is S01 - S02 - FWWM.
That said, having just watched FWWM (which I would NOT recommend to the uninitiated), I grasped a whole pile of references in S01 from FWWM.
Dense - challenging - and definitely not a binge experience. You risk a thinkache.
 

xassenn

Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
Hi. I'd like to thank Q2 for his GREAT JOB.
I loved it! Thank you very, very much!

I'm working on italian subtitles for this fanedit, if someone is interested in.
It's not a simple job, because I found out that original subs from the movie are not always right. I found that many sentences were translated very approximately, and not always properly. Too many simplifications. I am trying to made the subs as perfect as possibile.

Yes, but... In the "pink room" scene, what the hell does is mean "DON'T EXPECT A TURKEY DOG HERE"??? It is slang?? Can anyone help me about this?
 

Q2

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
7,904
Reaction score
1,133
Trophy Points
163
xassenn said:
Yes, but... In the "pink room" scene, what the hell does is mean "DON'T EXPECT A TURKEY DOG HERE"??? It is slang?? Can anyone help me about this?

Not slang. Turkey dog is like a hot dog but made of turkey. I suspect what is meant by this phrase is that you shouldn't expect your average bar food here.
 

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
23,633
Reaction score
295
Trophy Points
193
I get it, but I've never heard that before. Seems a little odd because nobody truly knows what a hot dog is made of.
 

Q2

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
7,904
Reaction score
1,133
Trophy Points
163
TV's Frink said:
I get it, but I've never heard that before. Seems a little odd because nobody truly knows what a hot dog is made of.

It's made of children, Frink? Have you never seen The Wall?
 
Top Bottom