• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Twilight Zone: Planet of the Apes Collective

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What kind of fanedit: True fan edit while bordering on special edition

What is this about: The website http://www.theforbidden-zone.com/media/tzone.shtml made a short fan edit (and taking the quote from Bright Eye's original posting)

"Planet of the Apes "re-imagined" as an episode of The Twilight Zone. Why? Both were written by Rod Serling!"

Theforbidden-zone site crew noticed that by using elements from various episodes of the Twilight Zone and greatly cutting down Planet of the Apes, that you could techincally make a Twilight Zone episode out of the film. This worked very well, despite some plot holes (which the authors acknowledged)

The problem with the website version was small picture size and not so nice quicktime quality. What we have done here is made a collaboration. You now get the following:

1. Restored original pan/scan website version in dvd quality (Tranzor)
2. Restored original 2:35:1 transfer down to 1:85:1, 16x9 aspect ratio edition (Bright Eyes)
3. Extended edition to fill in some of the minor plot holes that appear in the original (Tranzor)

Original film name: Planet of the Apes (1968), Twilight Zone: Planet of the Apes

New film name: The Twilight Zone: Planet of the Apes Collective

Editor names: Tranzor and Bright Eyes

original runtime: 25 mins

New Runtime: 25 - 34 mins

Fanedit details static menu, cover art as dvd rom extra, ntsc. NOTE: Bright Eye's also released his version on a disc as well. However his edition also features two very nice shorts he made in theme with the project. He also used Lpcm sound. On this disc I did not include the two shorts he made. This way it is not stealing any heat from his edition. I also had to convert the lpcm sound he used to an ac3 for disc space reasons. Bright Eyes did give permission for this.

Your intention for this fanedit: To give Forbidden-Zone's great edit a DVD quality presentation with a few extra suprises

Your way to achieve your intention:
Bright Eyes:I simply followed the edit notes on the site, and reproduced what I saw in the edit itself.
(note Bright Eyes used the dvd version for his edit)
Tranzor: To trace the footage used in the original. The only difference is I did not use the exact fonts and I had to remove the shadow from the credit listings. Still looks nice and in theme. I also used an original vhs tape which was the source for the original FZ edit. I added some very MINOR grain to match the quality of the Twilight Zone episodes

Time needed for the edition: about a month (on and off).

Persons involved: Two: Tranzor, Bright Eyes

quick tech rundown
dvd format, ntsc, single layer

Additional information links: http://www.theforbidden-zone.com/media/tzone.shtml
(Features download and streaming links to the original version of this edit.)

3d cover art
e1poh4bcco.jpg

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you! Really, credit should be given to stolen images from online, snapshots from video and adobe photoshop-

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great news! I am currently getting something else via Rapidshare, but this will be next. Thanks. :)

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I havnt seen this edit yet, but i wanted to comment on the run time
Twilight Zone had most of its episodes run in 30 minute time slots but they had 1 full season run in a 60 minute time slot.
Meaning this edit in my view doesnt need to be cut to an overly short length of 25-35 minutes ... it can equally be a twilight zone episode and be in the 50 min range.

I plan on checking this one out, very good concept!

-Jelio

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The primary goal was to replicate the version at theforbidden-zone.com in DVD quality. Hence the runtime. (on two of the three versions)

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I understand what you mean. After i watch the edit i will be able to give a more informed opinion of the run time.

In a similar vain i would be very interesting if this fanedit would inspire others of the same type.
For example any movie fantasy/scifi movie with a twilight zone feel could be edited into a TZ episode.

Like the 6th Sense or Signs by M Night Shyamalan they both seem to me to be in the same theme of a TZ episode, they both have the twist endings that most have.

Soylent Green i think would also make a great TZ episode.

Or how about 7 Days in May written by Rod Serling, or "The Man" by Serling (I havnt seen that one yet)

Anyways those are just a couple of ideas to show that maybe its possible to create more "NEW" episodes

-Jelio

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Great idea about Soylent Green! :)

As for the runtime of this edit, I wouldn't have minded it being fleshed out a bit, but overall, it was fine.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jelio said:
I understand what you mean. After i watch the edit i will be able to give a more informed opinion of the run time.

In a similar vain i would be very interesting if this fanedit would inspire others of the same type.
For example any movie fantasy/scifi movie with a twilight zone feel could be edited into a TZ episode.

Like the 6th Sense or Signs by M Night Shyamalan they both seem to me to be in the same theme of a TZ episode, they both have the twist endings that most have.

Soylent Green i think would also make a great TZ episode.

Or how about 7 Days in May written by Rod Serling, or "The Man" by Serling (I havnt seen that one yet)

Anyways those are just a couple of ideas to show that maybe its possible to create more "NEW" episodes

-Jelio

I have been thinking of things like this for a very, very, very long time. I have two ideas that I might use mainly because they would look amazing in my version of black and white (high contrast)

I was also curious if the forbbiden zone even knows this edit exist?

Top Bottom