• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

TVF's Prequel Cutlist Summary Spreadsheet Project - Done!

Ok, I'll go first. Here's an example:

31:18 Jar-Jar steps in "goo"

good idea, i think for now we should just throw out general ideas and then get specific. you'll get a lot more participation that way, too.

so:

virgin birth
midichlorians
redubbed alien language
jar jar ?
autopilot

etc.

Generalization may require some interpretation, but for now, sure, let's go that route.

So far just you and me joe. Oh well.

Thank you Ghostcut. Nice to see another person chime in.

But here's the problem with doing this in general terms - what do you do with something like the podrace? No one is cutting the whole thing out. And the changes are so varied throughout the whole thing that there is no real way to categorize what has been removed between different edits without getting a lot more specific. And once you do that, you're kind of back to the specific manner of listing items I originally suggested.

The problem here, as I see it, is how specific do you get? Generalization won't take us very far, I fear. And the more specific we are, the more useful the spreadsheet will be (I think), but the longer it will get, to the point where you might as well just use the cutlist script.

I'm not sure I see a way to crack this nut.

how about something like:

podrace:
reduced commentary/removed commentary

to start with.

whoa whoa whoa... who is this TVF and WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH BLICK?!?

j/k

i think we should start off with a linear list of generalities and then go deeper. doing it the other way is a daunting project.

joebshmoe said:
whoa whoa whoa... who is this TVF and WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH BLICK?!?
:lol:

So here's what we've got so far:

virgin birth
midichlorians
redubbed alien language
autopilot
podrace: reduced commentary
podrace: removed commentary

And I'll add - underwater sub scenes (part I and II)

I left out jar jar for now 'cause it's too general.

Current list:

autopilot
Boss Nass: Tics/Blubbers
midichlorians
podrace: reduced commentary
podrace: removed commentary
redubbed alien language
underwater sub scene I
underwater sub scene II
virgin birth

I'm abandoning this for the time being, due to time constraints (as well as possible lack of interest). If someone else would like to take this idea and run with it, please be my guest :)

Ah screw it, I keep getting an itch to work on this a little. I understand the reasons for doing general items, but I want to see "Exqueeze Me" in a spreadsheet :p So I'm going the specific route, and if someone else wants to do a similar but more general spreadsheet, by all means go for it. I'll even let you borrow my spreadsheet :wink:

EDIT:

So here's the spreadsheet:

http://rapidshare.com/files/257066656/ep1cutsummary.xls

Obviously I'm just getting started. This is just meant to give you a taste of how this could end up looking. For now I'm concentrating on quotes, but should eventually include actions as well. And some quotes will probably not stay on the spreadsheet - if no one removed "I spake," then there's no reason to list it.

I make no promises on how long this will take to complete. And I can't promise that I won't abandon this when I get too frustrated with it.

Questions and comments are very much encouraged and appreciated. Please feel free to let me know if you think this is a useful excercise or a waste of my time.

Thanks to L8wrtr, I've decided to pick this back up again (for a while, anyway). I've reuploaded the spreadsheet here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/382064224/ep1cutsummary.xls

I did this as a proof of concept, so you will see that I haven't gotten very far yet. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Another update:
http://rapidshare.com/files/382335761/ep1cutsummary.xls

This one is complete as far as listing lines and events. I've added a column for time which I will fill out next, and the edit columns have been alphabetized. The reason I decided to go ahead and do a time column is that it will allow you to sort by time rather than by character.

Keep in mind the lines and events are things that bothered me personally. If I've missed something you want included in the list, let me know. And if I find something that no one removed, I'll get rid of it.

Updated again:
http://rapidshare.com/files/382702091/ep1cutsummary.xls

All times have been filled in. Keep in mind that they may be off by as much as 60-90 seconds, because my copy of PowerDVD seems to constantly lose track of time for some reason.

Next will be filling in the specific edit information. If anyone sees something missing from the list of cuts, please let me know.

So here's a question for anyone who is good with xcel.

I've reordered the spreadsheet again based on alphabetical order for the character names (the ones in blue). It's easy enough to sort the spreadsheet by time, but does anyone know how to re-sort again by those character names and keep all the data in the right place?

Thanks.

Never mind, figured it out myself.

:oops:

Back
Top Bottom