• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

tutorial requests

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Making special editions and preservations is primarily about 2 things: collecting and authoring a nice DVD. Use this space to request tutorials for specific guides you would like to see. Anyone able to create a tutorial for a request, please start a new topic. When making a tutorial, please be as specific as possible with the instructions, and use screenshots where applicable. thanks!

I'll start with one request: Replacing audio or video on a DVD. This can be a very useful tool for those creating custom DVDs, or upgrading audio or video on an existing DVD preservation. Anyone able to provide a tutorial for this?

el_silloneb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello there,

one thing that I often struggle with is restoring / re-grading / improving / cleaning up (whatever you call it) video picture quality.
This could be because the video source is low-res or from a VHS transfer or analogue source and although I've had some limited success using a variety of programs / techniques I was wondering if anyone could help by providing a more in depth guide or tutorial in how to accomplish the best possible results.
Obviously I'm not expecting perfection but anything that could help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, video restoration is a very hard thing. Very often its a lost cause, or limited improvements. As the saying goes: "Crap In -> Crap Out"

There are a variety of things you can try. AvP was right on with suggesting Virtualdub. This should be a first step. Other techniques / software you can try include:

• Adobe Photoshop (output the video as an image sequence using Virtualdub, and work on actions to automate enhancement. put image sequence back together using Virtualdub)
  • Video Enhancer (utilizes virtualdub filters: website)
  • Neat Video (plugin for Sony Vegas, After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro: website)
  • Magic Bullet Plugin Suite (plugins for Vegas, After Effects, Premiere, & Final Cut Pro: website)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I'll start with one request: Replacing audio or video on a DVD. This can be a very useful tool for those creating custom DVDs, or upgrading audio or video on an existing DVD preservation. Anyone able to provide a tutorial for this?

Are you asking because you don't know how to do it or because you want somebody to post it for others?

el_silloneb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you both,

I've already got VirtualDubMod and the package that goes with it. What I would really appreciate is more instruction in how to use these tools to best effect.
For example; I've used filters to create some reasonable results but unless I render them as uncompressed video (which means stupid o file sizes, sometimes 70GB+) then the filters don't seem to be applied?
I'm clearly blundering around in the dark using trial and error which is a very slow way of going about things and I get very little spare time to work on these projects as it is. For example; I've been plodding away at the same two discs (with numerous video files) for over 8 months now and although I will finish them eventually I desperately need advice to see that I do it before grey hair and dementia set in.
A noob's guide for how to go about working with such software without wasting vast amounts of time (which can be very disheartening) would be ideal but if that's too much to ask then any hints or tips that anyone can provide would be fantastic.

Help me preserv.co.cc, you're my only hope...

el_silloneb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To reply to Frantic Canadian;

for myself primarily but it may well prove useful for others...

A

AvP

you could framserve to a encoder like Cinema Craft Encoder or TMPGEnc then you can adjust to what ever bitrate (file size) you want it to be.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

Are you asking because you don't know how to do it or because you want somebody to post it for others?

both. i can see this as a very useful tool for this website and forum, so anyone who can make a good guide should go for it.

el_silloneb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
AvP said:
you could framserve to a encoder like Cinema Craft Encoder or TMPGEnc then you can adjust to what ever bitrate (file size) you want it to be.

Another example of the kind of help that I (and maybe other beginners) need would be a glossary of terminology.
For example what does 'frameserve' mean and how do you do it?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bump

ThrowgnCpr said:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
one of the methods just requires you to have Sony Vegas. For that, basically, this is what you do:

• start a new project
  • change project settings to audio: 5.1 surround
  • add your audio track to the project (it will put the audio, centered in all channels)
  • render as ac3 (5.1 will be the default). Sony will create a fake 5.1 for you

There are more complicated ways (not necessarily better), but this is the method that a lot of faneditors (CBB included) and others use. You will get dialogue in all channels no matter what method you use (real 5.1 will only have dialogue in front), however some methods can create a tinny-echo sound. Vegas produces a somewhat natural sound, which isnt real true surround, but many have said is better than their 5.1 systems upmixing a stereo track.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the help Throw. Now for someone who doesn't have Vegas, my computer won't even let me install the trial version for some reason, what are the other, more complicated ways.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
AvP said:
MPEG Video Wizard DVD can also create a fake 5.1.

Thanks. I just checked and it comes with a 30-day trial period. If you're using the trial version will it leave a watermark on your videos and does it give you access to all its functions?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know what? It's okay. I just realized that I already have the full version of MPEG Video Wizard. I had forgotten that I had it but I got it a while back when it was available for free on some free deal of the day site that was mentioned on FE. Good to know that I can use it to make a fake 5.1 audio track though.

Top Bottom