• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Turning day to night

Licadnium

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a particular scene in my edit which feels a bit rushed, and it could be improved by intersecting a few seconds of another action scene in the middle. The problem is that the lighting doesn't match. Those seconds I'm thinking of adding, take place in broad daylight. So I'm considering turning them into night time.

In your experience, does this ever give a convincing result? What's the best way to achieve it? Many thanks in advance!

The easiest way would be to try some day-to-night LUTs to adjust the colors

n your experience, does this ever give a convincing result?

It was done in many movies, but if it's sunny day then it usually doesn't look convinving because of the light and shadows.
Even darkened it still has this sunny day vibe.

It depends.
Yes, if the footage is in full sun and you have sharp shadows it's not going to work very well. If it is overcast though, it could look convincing. Generally speaking, at nighttime, our eyes don't perceive colour so well, so you need to desaturated it, and also you need to bring the brightness levels down. It's something you really need to get a feel for so I think you should just give it a go and then ask for feedback from the forums.

Last edited:
It was done in many movies, but if it's sunny day then it usually doesn't look convinving because of the light and shadows.
Even darkened it still has this sunny day vibe.
Few things take me out of a movie faster than an obvious day-for-night shot. While it was a stylistic choice, Mad Max: Fury Road's nighttime scenes are borderline unwatchable to me in colour because they look exactly what they are – overexposed scenes shot on a bright, sunny day with a blue filter applied.

Those same scenes, however, look phenomenal on the Black and Chrome version.

Few things take me out of a movie faster than an obvious day-for-night shot. While it was a stylistic choice, Mad Max: Fury Road's nighttime scenes are borderline unwatchable to me in colour because they look exactly what they are – overexposed scenes shot on a bright, sunny day with a blue filter applied.

Those same scenes, however, look phenomenal on the Black and Chrome version.

I love the look of the day4nite in Fury Road, specifically because it's stylised that way. It's a visual treat of a film.

CROW-FISHERS-FURY-ROAD.png

I love the look of the day4nite in Fury Road, specifically because it's stylised that way. It's a visual treat of a film.
I think the concept is great but every time I see it my brain is going "That was filmed in the day. That was filmed in the day. And that!" and I just can't turn it off.

I just hate these fake blue Fury Road "night" scenes.

I tried your suggestion, and it worked quite well. Indeed it requires some very fine tuning with saturation, contrast and other settings. And it can't be overdone, I think I'll leave it in twilight, as if it's close to night time. The surrounding scenes are partly lit so it matches well enough.

If big movie studios can't make scenes look like completely dark night time, surely we can't either

Back
Top Bottom