• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

True Romance - Quentin Tarantino Cut

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a4d57267da5c6fbb992d15ea07a2a8f2c462fdbc.png

As a big fan of the out of order structure of Tarantino's scripts I always wanted to give this a try. But some deleted scenes play a big part in his original vision of this and they were only available in pretty low quality. The special edition Arrow released recently brought the scenes still in SD but upscaled to 1080i, so the blend with the official HD footage doesn't look too jarring. And of course, Tarantino's original ending was reinstated, which I always preferred anyway.

The edit is pretty much done, I just need to export it and give it a final look.

For those not familiar with Tarantino's script of this film, here's the list of changes:
  • No voice over of Alabama during the opening credits.
  • Drexl killing his buddies for the drug in the hotel room moved to right after opening credits (inclusion of extended scene where they discuss 'eating pussy').
  • Cliff arriving in his trailer and finding Clarence and Alabama waiting for him moved to right after the Drexl scene, first time we see the characters.
  • Dick Ritchie's audition for TJ Hooker moved to right after Clarence says to Cliff that he needs his help.
  • Cliff pissed off at Clarence after hearing his story moved to after Dick's audition.
  • Deleted scene of Alabama telling Dick the story of her name added to the scene the trio is driving to the Safari Inn.
  • After they arrive at the hotel and Dick asks Clarence what he's doing in LA, insertion of "A Few Weeks Ago" title card and we go back to when Clarence and Alabama meet at the movie theater. (note: no such card in Tarantino's script, but the conversation between them happens differently and it's made obvious the next scene will take us back in time).
  • Deleted scene of Alabama cheering after the movie is over added after Clarence fills her in on what's going in the film (Jack Black's cameo was kept obviously).
  • Deleted scene of Clarence showing Alabama how Spider Man #1 looks like added after he asks if she would like to see it.
  • Deleted scene of Clarence asking Alabama to marry him and she accepting added after she promises she'll never lie to him again.
  • Deleted scene of Clarence and Alabama in the bathtub talking about Janis Joplin added right after they get married. "Piece of My Heart" is now playing in the background as they are clearly listening to her music during the scene, and Tarantino's script lists that particular song. (note: in Tarantino's script that scene was supposed to happen during their first night together, only they're dancing in Clarence's room during the talk not in a bubble bath. I thought the bubble bath seemed like something they'd do in their honeymoon rather than in their first night together, so I moved the scene to later in the film).
  • Right after they find out Clarence took the wrong suitcase and Alabama says "these are not my clothes" we go back to the Safari Inn where Dick sees the drug and Clarence asks for his help to sell it.
  • Small deleted scene where we see Dick is appalled at how cool Clarence is with the whole situation he's in added right after they choose the rollercoaster as the meeting spot.
  • Moved the scene of Virgil appearing at Dick's house and talking to Floyd to play between the scene post rollercoaster ride where Elliott is sick and Elliott and Clarence talking to Lee Donowitz on the phone.
  • Deleted scene of Vincent Coccotti in the elevator with his gang intrigued at Virgil's disappearance and telling them to go find out what's going on and fix the problem added right after Dimes and Nicholson tell their boss about Elliott's bust and the drug deal with Lee Donowitz. (note: in Tarantino's script both scenes are intertwined, playing back and forth. I tried to edit them like that but didn't like the result so they play separately).
  • Insertion of the title card "The Big Day" after Clarence assures Alabama everything will work out for them and before Floyd gives them directions to get to the Beverly Ambassador. (note: in Tarantino's script the tile card appeared before the Clarence and Alabama scene where he tells her he hates airports while he takes care of all the damage Virgil's done to her. I preferred the title card a little bit later, before they're ready to leave to the hotel).
  • Deleted scene of Dimes and Nicholson giving more shit to Elliott added to the scene they're testing the wire in the hotel room.
  • Deleted scene where Clarence changes his mind about selling the drug and decides to leave fearing they might get caught and then changes his mind again and decides to do it added right after Dick sees he brought a gun and asks him about it.
  • Deleted scene of Elliott in the hotel lobby stretching as a way to calm down and concentrate added before the trio enter the lobby and spot him.
  • Original ending reinstated.

Last edited:

Movies Remastered

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hasn't this edit already been done? https://ifdb.fanedit.org/true-romance-the-quentin-tarantino-cut/

I actually did a similar cut at the start of the year after finding out about the alternative ending but I'd be interested to see what you've done though as the deleted 1080p footage really doesn't sit well with the released scenes due to dot crawl, Did you manage to remove that? I've been working on my own cut since and it's tricky knowing which shots to use between the theatrical cut and the directors version. I've never known a movie to include completely different takes for each release but it's one of my all time favorites so making it as long as possible makes sense to me.

Great Trailer BTW, Out of all the F Bombs you've included why does Drexal say "MotherLoving Charlie Bronson"? The censorship caught me off guard :)

Last edited:

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hasn't this edit already been done? https://ifdb.fanedit.org/true-romance-the-quentin-tarantino-cut/

I actually did a similar cut at the start of the year after finding out about the alternative ending but I'd be interested to see what you've done though as the deleted 1080p footage really doesn't sit well with the released scenes due to dot crawl, Did you manage to remove that? I've been working on my own cut since and it's tricky knowing which shots to use between the theatrical cut and the directors version. I've never known a movie to include completely different takes for each release but it's one of my all time favorites so making it as long as possible makes sense to me.

Great Trailer BTW, Out of all the F Bombs you've included why does Drexal say "MotherLoving Charlie Bronson"? The censorship caught me off guard :)
I was aware of the blueyoda edit and I'm sure there are others out there. I saw his edit a long time ago and really liked it.
The deleted footage is not in HD, it's in SD and hasn't been cleaned up, just upscaled to 1080p. You can definitely notice the drop in quality, but it's not jarring and doesn't take you out of the film, IMO anyway. I know others have different standards. You can see a few shots of the deleted footage in the trailer I did (Clarence asking Alabama to marry him and Drexl shooting the dog).

Drexl's censored line came from one of the trailers. It was easier to line that up with the background music I was using than the actual line from the film (the same song is playing in the background at full blast in that scene, and that was causing an overlap I couldn't get rid of).

Last edited:

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Knock yourselves out, you can use my cut as a blueprint if you wish. It was assembled strictly following the screenplay, scene for scene. I also studied Sally Menke's editing style and favorite transitions to give it that extra Tarantino oompf.
I saw your edit a long long time ago and loved it. Great job.

Movies Remastered

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good to know you're facing the same issues I am. It's been so frustrating to find a way of removing the dot crawl but like you, I'm gonna go with the best quality available. I'll look forward to seeing your cut.

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
K, I'm done. Exported two versions, higher bitrate (12 GB - x264) and lower (5 GB - HEVC), both mp4, AAC 5.1.
Waiting for the kind admin I contacted to add it to the database.

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you have any plans on doing a version with the Tony Scott happy ending instead? A lot of people complained on the SD edit that they really don't like Tarantino's downer ending but like the rest of it.

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you have any plans on doing a version with the Tony Scott happy ending instead? A lot of people complained on the SD edit that they really don't like Tarantino's downer ending but like the rest of it.
Not at this time. I was never a fan of the happy ending, I think the original one plays a big part on what makes TR such a terrific film.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unfortunately, this is yet another example of a fully approved edit from an experienced editor (discussed here) that presents a 5.1 audio track that does nothing but replicate a 2.0 mix across 5 channels. Disappointing, becuase this looks great.

Top Bottom