• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

True Lies: Straight Faced Edition

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
True_Lies_Ameray_FINAL_B-2.jpg

what kind of fanedit: true fanedit
original film name: True Lies
new film name : True Lies: Straight Faced Edition
film studio name : Lightstorm/Fox
edit crew name : Elbarto1
Date Original Film Was Released : June 1994
Date Edit Was Released : Jan 2010
Original Runtime : 141min
New Runtime : 121min
Amount of time Cut/Added : 20 min cut

Cuts Removed: SPOILERS BELOW
Fiezel peeing outside van
Gib (Tom Arnold) dialog cut throughout
Harry entering chateau through kitchen
Harry/Juno tango scene
Harry escapes chateau: snowmobile removed, backflip removed
Removed "total pooch screw" discussion w/ Spencer Trilby
Various lines removed throughout from all characters
Man on toilet in bathroom fight removed
Aziz shooting at Gib behind lightpole in street
Horse/Motorcycle chase sequence shortened and restructured
Harry arriving home late for birthday party
Harry sad w/ Gib after learning Helen is cheating
Harry breaks binoculars
Harry plays dumb with Aziz about what the warhead is
Terrorist camera battery dies
Harry/Helen escape sequence shortened
Helen gets a gun
Helen drops gun down steps
Aziz cheers after he shoots bazooka
Terrorist truck falls over bridge
Helen hits Juno w/ Champagne
Harry's awkward Harrier take off
Aziz shoots at Dana
Janitor in office building
Aziz cringe after nut shot
Arnolds silly face during dinner

Fanedit details:
Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
5.1 surround upmix

DVD9 features:
Deleted Scenes Montage w/ optional commentary
Scene Reconstruction w/ optional commentarys
Music Video
About This Edit
Easter Egg

Your intention for this fanedit:
to create a more action based film with less silly humor reminiscent of other Cameron/Schwarzenegger films.

Your way to achieve your intention:
Cut the pieces that bothered me

Hardware and software information (what did you use to create your fanedit):
DVDfab
PGCdemux
Virtual Dub MPEG2
BeeSweet
Sony Vegas Pro 8
TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress
Sony DVD Architect 4.5
Adobe Photoshop CS3

Time needed for the edition: 10 Months

persons involved:
Elbarto1, Blueyoda. With additional help from Boon23 and ThrowgnCpr

1500MB AVI available

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
congrats on getting this out there. looking forward to watching it :)

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alrighty then!
Congrats on finishing.
I've been looking forward to it :D

Backward too! :-D

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1500MB AVI available now :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It will appear there within a few hours.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Should it say "An Elbarto1 FanEdit" rather than "A Elbarto1 FanEdit"?

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The angle of the gun and ring are funky too, but that is one sweeeeet cover! (Jealous)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mollo said:
Should it say "An Elbarto1 FanEdit" rather than "A Elbarto1 FanEdit"?

at first thats what I thought (cause it sounds right but that would be like "An Mollo Fanedit". No?

Uncanny Antman said:
The angle of the gun and ring are funky too, but that is one sweeeeet cover! (Jealous)

Yes you are correct, I couldnt find a proper image for the ring and eventually just gave up. *shrug*
glad you like the cover despite its flaws.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
at first thats what I thought (cause it sounds right but that would be like "An Mollo Fanedit". No?
No. It has to do with whether or not the name starts with a vowel. An ElBarto edit, A Mollo edit, An Uncanny Antman edit, et cetera.

glad you like the cover despite its flaws.
I don't like it.

I love it. :D

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
elbarto1 said:
No. It has to do with whether or not the name starts with a vowel. An ElBarto edit, A Mollo edit, An Uncanny Antman edit, et cetera.

Damn, are my english/grammar skills really that weak... oh well. *double shrugs*

I don't like it.

I love it. :D
[/quote]

Thank you kindly :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
True Lies: Straight Faced Edition by Elbarto1

review by boon23

Prologue:
I enjoyed Elbarto1's previous edits and I was looking really forward to his tackling of TRUE LIES, because he takes a lot of care for a working plot, has a great eye for detail and still manages with interesting editing choices to make scenes work that did not it the original.
Now when it comes to TRUE LIES he picked a major turd IMO. His first 2 efforts RUNNING SCARED and DIE HARD 2 were already really good fixes, but for me the original TRUE LIES is a terribly flawed movie that managed to annoy me big time and almost made me a disbeliever in the qualities of James Cameron.
I followed the IN THE WORKS thread with excitement and discovered soon that my assumption that this one could not be truly fixed was true, yet I kept the hope that maybe the fanedit could at least be watchable. I have watched the original exactly one time and bought the DVD just because I am a collector, but never bothered to even unwrap it. It still sits on my shelf in its plastic wrapping. So my memory is from almost 16 years ago, when i watched it in the cinema. Unfortunately (or maybe this is a proof of James Cameron's talent) the memory was still a lot intact.

As for all my reviews: this is just my personal opinion of this fanedit. I cannot tell anybody else, if he or she will experience it in the same way or the opposite. So my review is not objective and does not reflect the opinion of fanedit.org.

!!!!This review contains heavy spoilers!!!

The edit:
Right from the very start of the DVD, I knew this was going to be nice, just because the menus were awesome. The movie starts with beautiful mostly self created credits (except for the title) and sets the mood just right that this is not an action movie that gets interrupted with cheesy jokes all the time. In fact the first hour of the movie is a pretty great watch, much more in the style of a good James Bond movie than the ridiculous original. Elbarto1 took a lot of care to remove all the stupid distractions and kept me very entertained. I even laughed at some of the remaining jokes and found myself wondering how this could have happened, but it was just good.
The new bathroom scenes is one of the highlights of this fanedit. It works perfectly and keeps a great deal of tension.
When the 2nd half of the movie starts and Helen gets more involved the movie suddenly loses that tension, everything becomes more obvious and my mood changed from very entertained to slightly amused. It was not bad what I watched, but it was also not great anymore. I do not blame the faneditor for this, because the source material is much much worse and he tried his very best to keep to the previous style. Unfortunately there are just not enough great moments in the second half to let that happen.
Elbarto1 delivers what he said he wanted to: not a great movie, but a true improvement over the original. If I ever have to watch it again, it will be THIS version of course, because it is so much better. And this makes it a very worthy and good fanedit for at least all Schwarzenegger and James Cameron fans.

editing: 10 of 10 (great editing decisions, very precise. A lot of work went into this and it shows)
entertainment: 8 of 10 (the first half was really cool, the 2nd half was ok - the original got a 4 of 10 from me on imdb - I rate this with an 8 because of the huge improvement)

Image and video quality:
The video quality was in most scenes really good. During the movie a few scenes had a little stutter or the movement scenes were a bit blurry. The final tango scene stutters heavily.
Video quality: 7 of 10

Audio editing and audio quality:
audio quality was perfect.
audio editing: 10 of 10
sound quality: 10 of 10
resulting in a 10 of 10 for overall audio

presentation:
This fanedit comes with all the great goodies one can hope for. Great cover art that outmatches the original easily, awesome animated menus with sound, a lot of extras and special features (realyl nice commentaries by Elbarto1 and Blueyoda)
To sum it up:
Perfect!
10 of 10 for overall presentation

Final result: 9 of 10
It's not a great movie now, but an incredible improvement over the original and as that and for the whole package a true work of art. I can truly recommend this fanedit. Thank you, Elbarto1, for making it, for the guts to release it (even though you could not save it entirely) and for letting me enjoy this movie for the very first time and as that get rid of my bad memories. Now if can fix LAST ACTION HERO as well, you will be my all-time hero. :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, thank you for such a kind, thoughtful review.

I apologize for the (minor, in comparison to some of the issues I was dealing with) video issues but this was truly as good as I could get it to look after literally weeks of different attempts.

the fault lies in the (ignorant) choice I made to edit at 29.XXX fps rather than 23.XXX fps and it shows about 1/4 of the time but I can say - this version still looks better than the R1 letterbox release that is available here in the states. The moral of the story is - I now know what I did wrong and it wont happen again on my future edits.

I am so very pleased that you liked this labor of love and I couldnt have saved it without your help, so you have justly earned your in-credit thanks!

now, I need to find something REALLY EASY for my next effort :smile:

Thanks again!

xeno_alpha_07

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched this last night myself and enjoyed it a lot, well worth the wait indeed! Can't really say anything Boon hasn't already said.

Brilliant main menu/sub menus and cover art. Thought the commentary tracks were a great idea! although one of the blueyoda commentary tracks has some audio glitches (the technical commentary i think it was) Real nice to see those small snippets of scenes that were cencored from the UK R2 DVD :smile:

Their was one or two places where you could tell a scene had been cut, but nothing extreme. Also theres two places you can see Arnie miming due to dialogue removal. But these didn't spoil the film for me at all.

[spoiler:1amtxjui]The opening sequences worked brilliantly with what was cut, the removal of the Tango scene was a real smart move. Also footgae removed from the end sequences worked out well IMO to The re-working of the bathroom fight sequence was great and the nod to Terminator was a real good idea and i enjoyed listening to the commentaries![/spoiler:1amtxjui]

This isn't much of a review i'm affraid as Boon pretty muched coverd it. I really enjoyed watching this and i was entertained, a job well done. Thanks man :-D

9/10

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
awesome! thanks for the review xeno, I am glad you enjoyed it :)

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched it too. A hundred percent better than the theatrical version. I loved it. I can't come up with anything that hasn't already been said. 10/10

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you spence! you are too kind.
glad you enjoyed it :)

Top Bottom