• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Trouble converting a DVD rip to AVI for editing

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is possible that there are still copy protection issues on your disc. How did you get the DVD folders on your computer? DVDFab usually works for most of my discs, but occasionally I have problems and resort to AnyDVD

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used DVD decrypter should I try another fresh rip perhaps?

Im now trying out DVDfab HD Decrypter now and it rips to MP4s in individual chapter files. It allowed me to set the quality of the MP4s and the frame rate, so I selected high quality and 23.976 (as that was the original and how it is stored on the disk). If this works well it will make editing a lot easier.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update DVDfab HD Decrypter is putting their logos all over the newly decrypted video files so this software is out!

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjjw said:
Im now trying out DVDfab HD Decrypter now and it rips to MP4s in individual chapter files. It allowed me to set the quality of the MP4s and the frame rate, so I selected high quality and 23.976 (as that was the original and how it is stored on the disk). If this works well it will make editing a lot easier.

You need to rip the disc, not re-encode it. Copy the whole disc. Then follow my guide to decoding. The insertion of a watermark over the video is only possible with re-encoding, so ripping the whole disc should eliminate that problem too.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK I have followed your guide http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showth...ideo-and-Audio and I have a video file with a .M2V extension, 2 d2v files, 6 mono WAV files and some other stuff I dont quite understand that didnt seem to lead anywhere.
What I really want now is an AVI file and for the video to be in true 23.976fps which it is stored in but it has a flag on it to interlace to 29.97.
I dont think I will be able to edit in 5.1 so downmixing to a 2 channel mix possibly in a prologic type format or at the very least a good old fashioned 2 channel surround mix at the least.

OK I worked out eac3to will downmix to prologic so Im happy with that, I kind of wish I could edit in 5.1 but what Im doing is hard enough as a first time faneditor.

I still need my video to be pure 23.976 with no pulldown flag though.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjjw said:
OK I have followed your guide http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showth...ideo-and-Audio and I have a video file with a .M2V extension, 2 d2v files, 6 mono WAV files and some other stuff I dont quite understand that didnt seem to lead anywhere.

Please explain exactly what you mean. You should have one .d2v.

What I really want now is an AVI file and for the video to be in true 23.976fps which it is stored in but it has a flag on it to interlace to 29.97.

The FAQ of my HCenc guide shows you how to perform an inverse telecine and create an AVI. The AVI that you create will not have RFF flags: you add those when you encode back to MPEG-2 after editing.

I dont think I will be able to edit in 5.1 so downmixing to a 2 channel mix possibly in a prologic type format or at the very least a good old fashioned 2 channel surround mix at the least.

The FAQ also shows you how to use eac3to. Use what is given there as a general guide to show you how to structure a command-line input. As you are not slowing down PAL audio, your command-line input will look a little different. It should go like the following.

Code:
eac3to input output -downDpl -normalize

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Please explain exactly what you mean. You should have one .d2v.
OK sorry I will explain more there is also a MyScript.avs file which I did according to your guide, but you didnt explain in the first guide what to actually do with it. The contents of the file are as follows:
Avisource("D:\dvdbluray rips\Mists of Avalon file\Mists of Avalon.avi")

As far as the extra .d2v file is concerned it seemed to be created at the same time as the other one, I dont know why.

Captain Khajiit said:
The FAQ of my HCenc guide shows you how to perform an inverse telecine and create an AVI. The AVI that you create will not have RFF flags: you add those when you encode back to MPEG-2 after editing.

OK so thats a step further on from the first guide I presume?

Captain Khajiit said:
The FAQ also shows you how to use eac3to. Use what is given there as a general guide to show you how to structure a command-line input. As you are not slowing down PAL audio, your command-line input will look a little different. It should go like the following.

Code:
eac3to input output -downDpl -normalize
OK I got that, being an IT person I do know my way round command-line interfaces a little, so that made this easier. I didnt realize I needed the -normalize flag though, what does that do?

I find it hard to believe no one has made a freeware or opensource application that combines these processes into one operation! eg convert a PAL or NTSC incoded video from a DVD and output an AVI that allows for options to select frame rate & scaling and for audio a 5.1 track or 2.0 track that is either basic stereo or prologic. Never mind we live and learn!

Oh and Im glad that eac3to can reverse PAL speedup that will be useful later as I have PAL encoded films I will want to fan edit at some point.

BTW if I was able to later have my edits on fanedit.org database (which I hope to one day) is it better they are in NTSC format for SD films?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjjw said:
OK sorry I will explain more there is also a MyScript.avs file which I did according to your guide, but you didnt explain in the first guide what to actually do with it.

That's because it's a guide to decoding – nothing more. One can open AviSynth scrips in all sorts of applications, but that's beyond the scope of the guide. Moreover, basic instructions for making a lossless AVi are given in the FAQ of that guide (not just in the HCenc guide).

As far as the extra .d2v file is concerned it seemed to be created at the same time as the other one, I dont know why.

Did DGIndex display a message/warning?

OK so thats a step further on from the first guide I presume?

Yes, because it's just a guide to decoding.

I didnt realize I needed the -normalize flag though, what does that do?

Look up audio normalization. It's advisable to apply it after downmixing.

BTW if I was able to later have my edits on fanedit.org database (which I hope to one day) is it better they are in NTSC format for SD films?

Yes.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK its not downmixing my audio properly?? I checked where there should be vocals and there isnt any.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
That's because it's a guide to decoding – nothing more. One can open AviSynth scrips in all sorts of applications, but that's beyond the scope of the guide. Moreover, basic instructions for making a lossless AVi are given in the FAQ of that guide (not just in the HCenc guide).

Captain Khajiit said:
Did DGIndex display a message/warning?
I dont remember. Im not even sure what this does in the process, as I presume I only need the M2V file for making an AVI?

Captain Khajiit said:
Yes, because it's just a guide to decoding.
OK Thanks

Captain Khajiit said:
Look up audio normalization. It's advisable to apply it after downmixing.
OK Thanks

Captain Khajiit said:
Thanks

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I listened to the WAV file using a standard audio player. Strangely the 6 individual WAVs turned out as they should is there a way to use them to create a combined 2.0 prologic downmix?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Im not even sure what this does in the process, as I presume I only need the M2V file for making an AVI?

DGIndex decodes the m2v.

Strangely the 6 individual WAVs turned out as they should is there a way to use them to create a combined 2.0 prologic downmix?

Yes, but let's try other solutions first.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah Im with you on the DGIndex now so is the D2v file needed in the future or is the M2v now fully decoded on its own?

Im with you on trying to get the AC3 file to downmix properly first, I can imagine that using the 6 individual WAVs could be a long process!

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah Im with you on the DGIndex now so is the D2v file needed in the future or is the M2v now fully decoded on its own?

DGIndex decodes the .m2v and makes an index: the .d2v. AviSynth is a frameserver that reads that index and passes the frames to VirtualDub (or another program), thereby allowing you to render a lossless AVI (or whatever).

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah ok so will VirtualDub read it by itself or is AviSynth the way it needs to be done?

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok I will do, but my mix down wav file still isn't right. I have even tried deleting it and doing the eac3to process again and it still isn't working

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK I have a working WAV file a d2v of my m2v video file and an avs script that I dont know what to do with.

What I want to know is how I can use virtualdub to create the AVI how does it detelecline and how do I join that up with the WAV? I have read the guides and dont understand them in the context of using AviSynth.

Top Bottom