• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

TRANZOR's The thing (late night tv edit!) Completed

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just now read that review.... wonderful review wolfman,..... really fantastic :) we need more reviews from you my friend.... keep it up :)

InvisibleWolfMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lewis886,

Thanks for the compliment! I'm willing to do reviews for anyone if they are willing to send me a disc. My wife's hogging the computer with her graduate work for the next several months, so no torrents for me until she's done. :-(

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm giving this 4/5. Brilliant idea, and greatly executed. The pacing was "perfect" in the sense that Tranzor near perfectly captured the mood that he wanted to catch. Why 4 instead of a 5? well, the DVD was kinda lackluster, I mean for me atleast english subtitles are really helpful to understand the movie, but there's also one thing that bugged me about the edit itself: The audio. I don't know if you've noticed this, but in most of the old movies, all the dialogue is rather high pitched. I would've wanted that from this aswell in order to entirely recreate the mood of the old tv programming. But this is definately the best fanedit I've seen (and it's also the third I've watched!)

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOW Thank you for that nice review! I will be honest in that I hate dealing or doing subtitles at all, it is a real hassle. Perhaps i might do something with them for my next edit however.

I did add scratchy noise to the audio. At least here in the US, you can hear this in older tv shows where it was filmed and not shot on video (happy days comes to mind). Glad you enjoyed the edit--

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been meaning to watch this for probably close to a year. Watched it just now. I LOVED it!! The new opening is a great way to get the story going. The new ending was also a great way to get to the conclusion faster. The commercials are what did it for me. It was definitely cool seeing commercials for stores based in NYC since that's where I'm from.

My only dislike was presenting this in black and white. I was really looking forward to see the grainy-ness and color deterioration. Now, I understand that since the original is in black and white, maybe that's what you were going for. Then again, I was born in 1984, so I obviously can't connect with what you're aiming for from a nostalgic viewpoint. However, what attracted me to this fan edit is my obsession for nostalgia. I loved Grindhouse. I can still remember the commercials and tv station logos for movies I watched as a kid that my mom taped off of tv. Also because this is one of my favorite movies of course.

Anyway, overall this was a great edit. 9/10.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tylerdurden389 said:
Been meaning to watch this for probably close to a year. Watched it just now. I LOVED it!! The new opening is a great way to get the story going. The new ending was also a great way to get to the conclusion faster. The commercials are what did it for me. It was definitely cool seeing commercials for stores based in NYC since that's where I'm from.

My only dislike was presenting this in black and white. I was really looking forward to see the grainy-ness and color deterioration. Now, I understand that since the original is in black and white, maybe that's what you were going for. Then again, I was born in 1984, so I obviously can't connect with what you're aiming for from a nostalgic viewpoint. However, what attracted me to this fan edit is my obsession for nostalgia. I loved Grindhouse. I can still remember the commercials and tv station logos for movies I watched as a kid that my mom taped off of tv. Also because this is one of my favorite movies of course.

Anyway, overall this was a great edit. 9/10.

thank you for the comment, this edit's main page

http://fanedit.org/323/

loves (and needs) more reviews and ratings-- please cast a vote, in the meantime I am going to copy/paste your review there

PS: I went with black and white because I wanted the 1982 version to look more like a 1950's sci-fi film (or at least something a bit older than 1982)

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow!! Thanks for the speedy reply. I felt I was shooting in the dark bringing an old thread back from the dead lol. Anyway, I gave you a 10 star rating after all because I thought about how there really should be more fan edits like this. I really love seeing these old nostalgic things. I think other editors should do something similar to this with more movies from the late 70's and early 80's.

Watching something like this only give me more reason to hate being born in 1984. Why couldn't I have been born somewhere between 1964-1976? lol.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am in the workings of making a sort of companion piece to this in the same style. Pretend it was double feature night on WPIX, though with this new edit it is going to jump from roughly the end of the 50's to the early 80's and might be a bit more liberal in what I let fly on the screen and because of sources used might be 16x9 (well 1:85:1, though the film is matted)

MacReady

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is this still floating around somewhere?

Obviously I'm a HUGE fan of THE THING, so I'd love to add this gem to my collection...

NewDeli

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
I am in the workings of making a sort of companion piece to this in the same style.
You mean as an alternate version ?
Well, if you ever plan to do a straight update, I might have some suggestions (some were already stated by other members, I'll rephrase them if you don't mind) :
  • Less grain and noise, I don't mind some speckles here and there, but I didn't like the vertical lines every other second*
  • All kids games / toys / venues advert removed as well as the knitting machine one, other ads gathered as an intermission
  • Get rid of the Fright Night still; Instead, insert an animated logo such as youtube.com/watch?v=vl_SAxsx_5s (ignore the hanging rope frames) right before and after the intermission

* HPLHS Studios did just that with their first film the Call Of Cthulhu (2005), and I found it equally distracting

Your TV edit is brilliant just as it is, there are merely ideas that crossed my mind while watching it. This said, they should be easy to implement and faithful to your initial vision, I believe. Lastly, I didn't mention switching everything to black and white, as the viewer has a lot of options to do it by himself, dunno may be you could give it some (more) thoughts:decision:.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewDeli said:
You mean as an alternate version ?
Well, if you ever plan to do a straight update, I might have some suggestions (some were already stated by other members, I'll rephrase them if you don't mind) :
  • Less grain and noise, I don't mind some speckles here and there, but I didn't like the vertical lines every other second*
  • All kids games / toys / venues advert removed as well as the knitting machine one, other ads gathered as an intermission
  • Get rid of the Fright Night still; Instead, insert an animated logo such as youtube.com/watch?v=vl_SAxsx_5s (ignore the hanging rope frames) right before and after the intermission

* HPLHS Studios did just that with their first film the Call Of Cthulhu (2005), and I found it equally distracting

Your TV edit is brilliant just as it is, there are merely ideas that crossed my mind while watching it. This said, they should be easy to implement and faithful to your initial vision, I believe. Lastly, I didn't mention switching everything to black and white, as the viewer has a lot of options to do it by himself, dunno may be you could give it some (more) thoughts:decision:.

Wow, necropost! Tranzor was referring to WTTV Channel 1 New York Presents The Prowler. I don't think a v2 of The Thing is among his plans.

NewDeli

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It would be more of a v1.1 actually, changes I proposed only scratch the surface as they concern the presentation.
Since the film is dense story-wise and quite dramatic, inserting ads to let us digest the sequences was a brilliant idea. All righty, nothing more to say about this edit for now.

Top Bottom