• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

TRANZOR's The thing (late night tv edit!) Completed

bigrob

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
I will send one in to the site as usual (my previous edit: the last dawn is just awaiting for boon to return from vacation), and the limited free in the mail copies I send out to some of those who ask.

Can i put myslef down for a copy. I've asked my buddy to adjust that cover art for The warriors for you. Just send me any more requests you have for adjustments

InvisibleWolfMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor,

Will you put me down for a copy as well? I will do a PiF to three other members if you'll send to me.

Kind Regards,

InvisibleWolfMan
new_asthanos.gif

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
About sending copies: not a problem.

I was working on the menu last night. Making something look like ligthning (like a room lighting up after lightning strikes) is one of the hardest things I had to deal with. However I found a cheap, clever way this can still be achieved and you do not need a super app to do it. More info on this in the how to forum (later)

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok the edit is done. I am just finishing up some cover art for the disc and then a burn of the master copy. If it plays well, burns will be going out this week to those that want them--

PS: I have the sound as a 384 ac3. Keeping it as lpcm was giving too high bitrate errors when remuxing

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
first batch of dvds already packed and out in the mail by this Saturday

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
here is the breakdown of this edit so you do not have to read all 90 post on this topic. This edit will be available via this site soon :)

PURPOSE OF THE EDIT: I wanted to make an edit similar in style to how
television stations (US) would present horror/sci-fi movies back in the 1970's to early 80's. This is mainly for the older crowd who can recall the days of Chiller Theater and other tv horror movie hosted shows that have truly disappeared off the airwaves.

FILM NAME: John Carpenter's The thing

NEW NAME: Tranzor's The Thing - late night tv edit

RUNNING TIME: 109mins

NEW RUNNING TIME: 82 mins (72 mins film, 10 mins commercials and tv logos)

WHAT WAS DONE:
1.edited JC"s the thing down to 72 mins and made it black and white
(altered the film a bit as well)
2. Zoomed in on the widescreen picture to make a new pan/scan image
3. added lots of film grain and other such noise to give it that old shitty
print look.
4. added "old scratchy record" effects to the sound to give it that feeling of a rotting 16mm film
5. Added Channel 7 ABC's Saturday night movie intro (early 80's)
6. added in four 1-3 min commercial sets from 1981
7. added in WOR-TV chan 9 "fright night" cut aways before and after
each commercial break
8. Borrowed RKO logo and minor music from the 1933 King kong for
help wih my titles
9. Edited the movie for gore/cursing, or anything else that would not
fly on tv back then

IMPORTANT INFO:
What some of you may not understand is that back in those days (70's-early 80's), television stations would show really crappy print quality horror and sci-fi films. You did not have dvd transfers for TV or anything else (vcrs were NOT COMMON). Also TV stations would REALLY BUTCHER most of these prints down due to content or running time or both. Sometimes characters in movies would disappear for no reason or you would get things hacked or see frames missing ,etc. Like grindhouse but on TV instead. You have to keep this in mind when viewing my edit (and again this is why it is aimed more towards the older crowd who will remember those days). I made this to look and feel as if you really were watching this on TV back then late at night. This is how it actually would have been presented. TV changed towards the mid 80's and on and became a bit more liberal and also restored some of the films they would show (and a lot of the other films we used to see have never aired again since those days).

MENU: live

NUMBER INVOLVED: 1

TIME IT TOOK: 3 days

InvisibleWolfMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asf_The_Thing_From_Another_World.jpg

Forget what you know about John Carpenter's THE THING. It has no place here.

Tranzor has succeeded in taking a modern classic and almost, almost making it his very own, and I don't use those words lightly. You see, I'm a guy that 9 times out of 10 likes the original version of whatever I see, hear or read. It's a cancerous growth that sometimes just sucks the living fun out of EVERYTHING. :? Yes...I know Carpenter's THE THING is basically a remake of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, though it went back to the original source material rather than the B-film from the 50's. Carpenter succeeded so well in the storytelling because he loved what he was doing and had a clear vision of how to make it fresh again.

To his credit, Tranzor's THE THING - LATE NIGHT TV EDIT is like a breath mint on a -40 degree winter night. :-?

He, like myself and at least several others out there, grew up watching many old horror films late night on the weekends. You know the ones WAY past bedtime and beyond permission granted by over-bearing parents. On those occasions the popcorn would be all ready in a bowl, the sodas chilled to perfection and TV's would be on as loud as the room would keep it from drifting too far into parental ears. Anticiapation of a creepy fun time (and future nightmares) would build while the intro to the movie would begin. And Tranzor manages to recapture this feeling all with a simple but effective menu.

Let me assure you, once PLAY has been pressed you won't want to move a muscle. As I've said earlier, forget what you know about John Carpenter's THE THING. It has no place here. A sense of mystery taken away from years of mulitple viewings has been immediately restored. More engrossing is the fact you are looking at a "local tv station" transfer of already misused and degraded film material, just like they found it on the last shelf near the garbage bin. And, God bless you for this Tranzor, just when the going gets good.....

COMMERCIAL BREAK!
THESEIMPORTANTMESSAGES.JPG

Promises of clean hair, the newest LP from your favorite band, not to mention some very hungry hippos only make you want to be terrified even more! :???: Once it comes back, you are exactly where you left off; wondering who will survive and what will be left of them?!? :twisted: I could be a "Harry Knowles" and spoil all the fun, but that's like pissing in the wind...

To "borrow" a quote from a famous author;

I have seen the future of true fanedits, and his name is Tranzor.

**HURRY! ONLY ONE MORE free "pay it forward" copy of Tranzor's THE THING - Late Night TV Edit left! :???: Get yours TODAY!**

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for this absolutely wonderful review!! As we speak Boon is is getting ready to put it up on the site.

bigrob

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotta admit Tranzor, you did it again! I haven't had time to watch all of it yet but what i have seen is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

You have managed to take one of my alll time favourite films and give it a new life!

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if its ok with the site, post a link

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was a really cool edit. Definately has the old school TV movie presentation down pat. My ONLY complaint, and ya it's a minor one, is I thought there was a little too much film wear (pops, scratches, grain, etc.) present. I personally found it a bit distracting at times. I know what you were going for with that effect, I just found it looked a little TOO crappy a print (ha ha). Kind of the opposite of the Vintage Kong edit, which I thought didn't have enough wear, I guess a happy medium would be somewhere in the middle of the two edits. Still, great job!!! Which program adds all those films scratches and such? I'd love to do that to some homemade fan films I did with a buddy of mine.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for the mini review. My test version (when I found out the movie was encoded wrong) actually had more film effects. Upon viewing, it was even a bit too much for me so I toned it down. I could have toned down the dust a bit more though. The slight blurr was added in from the zooming and cropping process. This worked towards the films benefit (at
least I think so)

I used Sony vegas for the film effects. It lets you set the level for each effect you add (dust, hair, etc). It also has a color control to let you decide what color these "damages" are. In my case I selected grayscale since my film was in black and white. Glad you liked the edit.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just downloaded, and quickly checked it out. Looks nice, but I have two things to say:
1. a little bit of over usage of the old grain film effects. It's a bit too much, like jamiemark has already above.
2. aaarrrrghhhh,.... commercials. I hate them during a movie. I understand what you were trying to achieve, but they take away my focus of the movie. And I'm already having trouble to keep my focus on a movie when it's black/white (and the commercials appear in color)

Those two points were just things I came along whlie just skipping through to check if it was correctly converted.

Still a nice thouch, reminds me of the old movie "Thing from another world."

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked the commercials, but again at least you do understand my point of the edit. Naturally it is very common to have films in black and white and commercials in color on the tv. If I was trying to make my edit closer to how things were in the 50's-60's I would have went totally black and white, but since I am shooting for the late 70's to early 80's color commercials were the way to go.

The film itself did not work as well in color with my edit, which is also another reason why I went with black and white.

still glad you enjoyed it to some degree

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This comment is way over do, but I an glad you enjoyed my edit. Thanks again!

PS Keep me posted with the tv version for Jc's the thing

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
so far yes. I do not have enough time to seed it via a torrent which is why I did not go that route.

I still have your addy handy and can easily get one out in the mail to you if you want

Top Bottom