• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

tranzor's Dawn of the Dead (2004) version

Sooo.....ahhhhh.....Zombie baby is gone...right?

Just need to be sure ;)

yep. Thank Boon for really coming through with that one when I ran into a little snag

this sounds cool

i'm about to watch all the originals to prepare :)

99.99 percent done. I saw two audio glitches I have to fix. I might recore something else and I might remove one more scene. But for all intent purposes it is done

done--enjoy

FILM NAME: Dawn of the Dead (2004 version)
NEW FILM NAME: Tranzor's Dawn of the dead 2004

ORIGINAL RUNTIME: 110 mins (unrated version)
NEW RUNTIME: 101 mins

PURPOSE OF EDIT: Underneath some of the dumb dialog lies a pretty dark and serious movie. I removed most of the stupid lines and reconstructed a few things to help bring this out.

EDITS MADE: 9 mins removed
I strongly recommend you view the film first before seeing this list. However I will say NO MORE ZOMBIE BABY
[spoiler:2p208hfs]1. Slightly altered film title screen
2. Cut out Bart saying ?they trashed Metropolis?. And cut Andre?s ?look dumb ass?
reaction.
3. Cut out CJ telling them to clean up Metropolis
4. Cut out some dialogue when Bart is watching TV and some of Terry?s lines
5. Cut out Bart calling Terry a fag.
6. Cut out some of the dialogue on the rooftop when they see the truck drive into the mall
7. Cut out most of the Steve?s dialog
8. Cut out Kenneth ?fuck y?all? line
9. Cut out and altered When Ana check?s the dead woman?s pulse. You can see she is dead and Ana already knows what happens to them at this point. I do not think she would
then risk getting that close. I also extended the view of dead woman on bed
10. Cut out part of dialog on ?bites? that follows the scene above. I did this because Ana
mentions how she took the woman?s pulse. Since I cut that scene I had to cut this dialog too.
11. Cut down ?time passing? montage and rescored it
12. Cut out pointless talk of the security guards in the holding cell after montage
13. Completely removed the zombie sniper scene with Andy. Although a great scene, the
dead do not act in character the way they do for the rest of the film
14. I had to cut out Kenneth?s sign of ?good shooting see you later? to Andy since I cut the zombie sniper scene. However I altered the audio to still fit the scene
15. Cut out one scene of the zombie shootout in the garage. It shows one zombie literally jumping like nine feet in the air and onto a fence. If they could do this they could scale the truck parked by the mall and get in through the roof
16. NO MORE ZOMBIE BABY
17. Slightly cut down scene that follows zombie baby so it has more flow than before
18. Cut out more of Steve?s dumb comments after building up the mall busses montage
19. Cut out Andy?s reply on the radio after his escape plan fails. It quickens the pace and adds more suspense since you still are unsure if he is ok or not
20. Cut out Steve whining right before they go into the sewers
21. Re-arranged getting out of the sewer scene so zombies do not react to the manhole cover being closed
22. Cut out Cj?s comment in elevator to keep the tension going
23. Reconstructed and re-scored the ending
24. Might be a few more edits that I forgot to list[/spoiler:2p208hfs]

NUMBER INVOLVED FOR EDIT: 2 Tranzor and special help from Boon with the baby scene

TIME IT TOOK: a few months of on and off editing

uploaded to Rapidshare

and here is a cover art for this fanedit:
dotd_by_boon23_preview.png

I am looking forward to this edit - I thought Dawn of the Dead was quite good apart from the damn zombie baby.

yes the baby was a total disaster but im gutted the sniper practice was cut i absolutely love that scene and Cheese's version of down with the sickness is reason enough to leave it in.

i understand why it was cut, i just love the black humour of it even if it doesn't fit in with the behaviour of the zombies through the rest of the movie.

other than that it sounds fantastic!

ohh I loved the scene too. But again I was going for a more serious and darker version of the film. The scene could not stay in, nor could the lounge version of sickness. I had to rescore it

dawn04_1.jpg

This review has been along time coming. I was compelled immediately to write a review the very night I viewed this fanedit, but something stayed my hands from the keyboard. I felt I needed to think about it a day or so. By then, just when I was ready to write it I suddenly thought "How can you write a review and not see the original Romero version?" So I put in Romero's version....all 3 of them! Then, obviously not being satisfied with leaving it at that, I watched Romero's DAY OF THE DEAD. It was during the viewing of DAY that I suddenly realized that Tranzor's edit of DAWN OF THE DEAD 2004 had unleashed something in me that was making me rethink these films all over again. I'm gonna spare you the list of the other subsequent movies I went through, but they were indeed horror films.

Remakes are a thin line between love and hate, and by all accounts this remake should've never happened NOR have worked as well as it managed. The original hit a nerve and for the fans brave enough to see it and look beyond the gore you are rewarded with a look deep into ourselves and the society we allow to define us each and every day. That's not always an easy look. Nor is it what film viewers of the newer generation seem to want from their films. The original cut of DOTD 2004 is evident of that. Although entertaining and better than a typical remake normally is, it was still riddled with flaws. Of course, the biggest flaw for me (and a certain number of others out there) are running, limber zombies who suddenly seem to be able to compete in the Olympics. Unless Tranzor has another wallet lost somewhere in the laundry basket with a cool million for reshoots, there's just no way to truly fix that. He did, however, relieve us of their ability to jump so high and to be born as babies (thank God on the removal of the latter!). He also tightened the reigns in on a few other areas and, by a greater grace, made the ending have the impact it SHOULD have given in the theaters the first time around.

It's odd to think that some faneditors can almost outhink their Hollywood counterparts, but then again there are too many who do this sort of work because it most importantly provides them with a paycheck first rather than because they simply love film. I think it's the love of something that can make it have a lasting impression, and I can tell with each fanedit of Tranzor's I've ever seen that no matter how drastic his changes are or how subtle the rearranging...he's got a love for these films that just won't die. And they are able to burn brighter with his edits and in turn relight the candles of the original cuts. I was not prepared for the ability of this edit to not only do all of that, but also rekindle the lights of so many of the other horror films that for many years I'd taken for granted as merely something to pass the time while I had some popcorn or drank some sodas late into the night and early before the dawn. And dammit, I LOVED that feeling. Thanks for this edit, Tranzor. Whether you meant to or not, you finally gave this remake enough strength that instead of running around in circles near films like 28 DAYS LATER, RESIDENT EVIL, or countless other "new wave zombies" it's now lumbering directly behind the original it derives from....slowly following some kind of instinct. Memory, of what films like the original used to do. This was an important part in their audiences' lives.

When there's no more room for remakes, the fanedits will walk the earth....
dawn_of_the_dead_05.jpg

Thank you once again for an absolutely wonderful review! Although mentioned on the edit, it should be noted here that Boon did considerable work with the help and removal of crappy zombie baby.

A really eloquent and perceptive review and if I might quote from it....

"When there's no more room for remakes, the fanedits will walk the earth...."

NickMollocopy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom