• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Transformers: two edits, one review

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am writing this review while comparing two edits for the following reason, both take the same film but now present it from totally different views.

Transformers: resparked by Reave
Transformers: Action! By Spelldaren

Both edits take Michael Bay's transformers and give us a new look.

Resparked
removes most of the dumb scenes while still retaining a little to give use a faster and tighter edit.
Action!
removes literally all of the dumb lines as well as most of everything else and kept the very best of the film. This edit tried to focus more on the robots and the government response

VIDEO:

Both give us excellent quality (dvd versions) and more or less looks like nothing was re-encoded. If it was, it is not noticeable. No bad frames or anything of the like. For this reason they both get 4

Edit of video:

No rough cuts and all scenes appear to go over smoothly.

Content of video:

Here is where we have a world of difference.
Resparked is a very coherent edit and makes a lot of sense.
Action! Is not coherent in the slightest, though it does present a very simple premise for its story that you can still follow despite the flaws.

Just from my own viewing experience I actually preferred the Action edit to resparked. Resparked removed most of the dumber scenes while keeping some and used tighter edits to make the film move along a little faster. However by removing most of the dumber scenes and making smaller edits, this makes you really focus on what is left. This is what killed it for me. It showed you just how bad and overall cheesy most of the acting and scenes really are. Michael Bay was genius in the fact that he mixed it so well by not making the film too much of one or the other. He found the right balance. Resparked looses this balance and ruined the overall mood for the film. As I was watching this edit, I just could not help but notice how bad Transformers really was.

Action! removed 90% of the film and made this feature only 55mins. However this edit kept literally everything that made the transformers a good movie to begin with. It does have some major plot issues, but as I said enough to keep you following what is going on. It kind of reminded me of a live version from a comic book and if Roger Corman had a hand in making the film. Sam's character is almost eliminated entirely and that was one major focus point for the edit. It did work to some extent and other times it horribly failed. One example of this was Bumblebee's fight with Barricade. They are shown fighting only to have the fight cut in the middle and then to see that Barricade is "gone" However like a bad 80's action movie you did not seem to mind and kept rolling with the edit.

AUDIO:

Firstly let me give you my view of jarring audio. If the audio from one scene does not match the audio of the next scene making you cringe as you hear it, that is jarring audio. If however the audio does not match between two scenes but volume and edit wise it goes over without you making a face, I do not consider that jarring audio. I will call it a bad audio edit but not jarring.

Resparked was technically perfect with no abrupt cuts or jarring edits. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars
Action! (dvd version) had a few fades and some music be in once scene, cut off (not jarring) and then music come back a scene later. Nothing seemed abrupt or hurt my ears to hear but a lot of work could have been made on it. I give it a 2 ½

Overall.

Resparked worked very well for what the edits intentions were. I personally just did not care for it as much as I would have liked to. Since not everyone shares my view, I would recommend seeing it.

Action! did not work exactly as the editor may have wanted it to. It barely passes in that respect, but since it left just the really good scenes from this film it crossed the margin (ever so slightly). Despite the major technical flaws it was still enough for me to follow what was going on and enjoy the edit overall. Though if this were released in the theater as is, many of us would see it as the following
"it seems like there is a lot of potential in this haphazard film and perhaps an edit might bring it out". That's right, a fan edit for a fan edit.

Final scores:

Resparked despite my personal view easily gets a 4 ½
Action! gets a 3 at the lowest level a three can go

I'll take that. You'll probably be more of a fan of Resparked 2.0, the "hard cut". I'll be trimming down much more of the dumb acting, but still really focusing on keeping the plot coherent, and the transitions very smooth. Thanks for the honest review!

I know you wanted to do three edits for this film. I do look forward to your next hard edit. It would be interesting to compare it with this one

mmm it might be a good idea to somehow relabel your hard cut of "resparked 2.0" because what happens if you edit your v1? it couldn't be v2! ...just a thought

Hey, that's actually fair praise for Action! Thanks for that. As much praise as it could get I expect :p

It is possible that the plot can not be saved at all, while still removing the glasses.
In that case I think it will have to stay as it is, a somewhat entertaining idea, but not working enough to be a TF.

And Reave, I'm waiting for 2.0 before I see it your way. :)

tranzor said:
One example of this was Bumblebee's fight with Barricade. They are shown fighting only to have the fight cut in the middle and then to see that Barricade is "gone" However like a bad 80's action movie you did not seem to mind and kept rolling with the edit.

Actually, I have not cut any fighting scenes with Bumblebee and Barricade after they roll around. The only thing cut in those shots are the parts where Frenzy chases the humans.

There is one shot of Barricade lying and moaning that I have not included.

And yeah, this edit just keeps on rolling :p

There is one shot of Barricade lying and moaning that I have not included.

And yeah, this edit just keeps on rolling :p

that is the part I was getting at. He just disappears. You have no idea what happens after the fight starts. You just see that it was over.

tranzor said:
Michael Bay was genius....

Tranzor, I think this is taking things a little too far! Still a good review.

Back
Top Bottom