• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - The Real Effing Deal.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is going to be my alternate fan edit for this film. This will be virtually identical to my other edit, "Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen - The Kitten Calendar Edition," with one difference. Due to the large number of people who have a completely different view on certain characters (The Twins) I'm taking to the time make this second version. This version will remove bits and pieces of the Twins where possible, which in some cases will actually cause a little more footage to be removed as well. I estimate this will end up 3-4 minutes shorter than the Kitten Calendar Edition.

I do not plan to do as much work on the menus for this version, so be prepared for something fairly basic in that area. I'm only doing this edit because of the mixed popularity of these characters. The Kitten Calendar Edition is my preferred version, but I wanted to allow those in the fanedit community to have some options.

You can follow the thread for the Kitten Calendar Edition to see how things have been progressing, and what I've been working on, as things are pretty much identical, except there will be cuts made to the twins.

http://faneditforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6943

I've basically finished the editing phase for The Kitten Calendar Edition, and don't anticipate the extra editing to take very long at all for this version. I may end up releasing both together as a package, but I haven't decided yet how I'm going to handle all of that. I'm still need cover art, now probably for 2 editions, and any other art to use for menus as well.

what kind of fanedit: True Fanedit
original film name: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
new film name : Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - The Real Effing Deal
film studio name : Paramount
edit crew name : Kevinicus
Date Original Film Was Released : 6/24/09
Date Edit Was Released : 12/16/09
Original Runtime : 150 minutes
New Runtime : 127 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : 23.5 minutes cut

Cuts removed/added/extended :

*The entire introduction with The Fallen and prehistoric man.
*All of Optimus' voice over during the Shanghai scene.
*Moved the title sequence to the end of the Shanghai scene.
*Trimmed Sam & Parents at the beginning somewhat (and dogs humping).
*Trimmed Bumblebee in the garage (crying).
*Trimmed the last line from the Nest hanger.
*Trimmed Leo's roommates some as well as some of Sam's parents.
*Trimmed Sam/Alice at party and part of the car scene.
*Trimmed Megatron/Starscream on Nemesis and trimmed middle and end of scene.
*Trimmed classroom flirtation bit.
*Trimmed Sam in his room and w/Alice.
*Trimmed talk in the library.
*Cut repeated footage of Soundwave.
*Cut Sam's parents with the mime.
*Trim news bits after Decepticons arrival.
*Cut Galloway shutting down NEST.
*Trimmed meat shop (no more talk about teeth).
*Cut Simmon's ass.
*Cut Leo shocking himself.
*Trim Jetfire talking about his family being there for "centuries".
*Leo/Mikeala land in desert
*Image of Autobots being loaded onto plane and Lennox comments about it being a mistake
*Removal of Lennox and Epps discussing the phone call and location of coordinates
*Removal of Checkpoint scene
*Remove Galloway parachute scene
*Change footage and trim end of Petra scene to remove Simmons viewing troops parachuting from so far away, and to add time lapse.
*Remove Simmons pointing at flare right after Sam does.
*Heavily trim parts of military scenes (mostly parts without robots).
*Remove Galloway in desert scene
*Remove repeat shot from first movie of Drone
*Trim Simmons conversation with Captain of Aircraft Carrier
*Crop shot of Simmons on walkie talkie to remove wrong pyramid from the background
* Remove Devastator's balls (the flagrant scene anyway).
*Trimmed Sam's meeting with the Primes (I refuse to call this robot heaven since that's not what it is). I don't care a lot for this scene, but I feel it is necessary. I removed the part about Sam's destiny though, that isn't necessary.
*Removed a couple of repeated shots during The Fallen's retrieving of the Matrix.
*Removed the audio for "Give me your face!"
*And I went back and cut out the 6 bogeys coming up from the water for those that feel it's a continuity error.
*various other small edits

New Edits for this version:

*Removed Twins from Shanghai sequence as well as a few second here.
*Removed Twins upgrading
*Removed some of Twins interaction with Leo after Decepticon's arrival
*Removed Police Chase sequence and Sam & company hiding
*Trimmed approach to the Pyramids
*Trimmed small bits of Twins during Devastator fight

Fanedit details (please add here details about DVD contents as well as video and audio information): NTSC SL DVD, original aspect ratio, ac-3 5.1 audio.

Your intention for this fanedit: The intention of this edit is to somewhat appease those who do not appreciate the comic genius that is The Twins. I don't get it, and never will, but I realize there is a significant audience out there that despises them. So, for the most part this is an identical fanedit to the Kitten Calendar Edition, with significant cuts made to those characters. My intention outside of The Twins was to trim down the excess fat to speed up the pacing and hopefully increase the sense of urgency, and help the film not drag so much. I also wanted to remove the aspects that limited the scope to such a seemingly small period of time (relative to the Transformers lifespan). There were other various poor jokes, continuity errors, geographical mistakes that I tried to correct as much as possible.

Your way to achieve your intention: Basically looked closely and tried to cut anything I could of the Twins that wasn't essential to the story. Some small lines aren't essential, but I wasn't able to remove them. For the most part just find what didn't work and wasn't necessary or was repetetive and remove it. Sometimes this required rearrangement of audio or video, and some fixes required cropping of scenes as well.
Hardware and software information (what did you use to create your fanedit): Axus quad-core processor with blu-ray drive. Original retail blu-ray (Big Screen Edition, i.e. IMAX version) was used as a source. DVDFab was used for capture. NeroVision was used to make a new file of the movie with less timestamp errors. Nerovision was primarily used for the first half of editing. Sony Vegas Pro 9 was used later to finish and fix problems with Nero's output. NeroVision was used for menus.

Additional Comment: This IS the edit for those who hated the Twins, this is NOT for those who liked the Twins. If you liked The Twins (really, how can you not??) then The Kitten Calendar Edition is for you. This edit is 3.5 minutes shorter than the Kitten Calendar Edition.

Time needed for the edition: About a month (plus a couple hours).
persons involved: Kevinicus

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, that's very considerate of you, Chldsplay. :) I'm sure people will appreciate it.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, well, I figure most of the editing should be pretty easy, so why not try to please everyone?

I figure if anyone is interested, they could make a disc image with this:

tred_bg.png

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even If I hate Twins, in this case I am more interested in faneditor's own vision (besides, I've cut out Twins in my own edit) than something which was created to "please everyone". So I am interested in Kitten Calendar Ed. more.

I've also had some thoughts about "pleasing everyone" by adding alternate audio without Stan Bush's songs to my edit of ROTF but ultimately decided not to. And thats because they were important part of the edit for me.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yea - I'd be interested in seeing this cut, given that you put alot of time into correcting the other inconsistencies in the film. Good call! :-D

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
Even If I hate Twins, in this case I am more interested in faneditor's own vision (besides, I've cut out Twins in my own edit) than something which was created to "please everyone". So I am interested in Kitten Calendar Ed. more.

I've also had some thoughts about "pleasing everyone" by adding alternate audio without Stan Bush's songs to my edit of ROTF but ultimately decided not to. And thats because they were important part of the edit for me.

I thought about changing a song at the end with "The Touch" because my wife wanted it somewhere if I could, but it just doesn't really fit the movie, so I decided against it. I probably still should have put something in place of the last song, simply because I don't like Prime's voice over. Oh well, it's the end of the movie and someone can just stop it right there if they want.

I would be working on stuff today, but for some reason Vegas is taking like 30 hours to render this when it usually takes about 12. I didn't change any settings, and there are only about 5 cuts (using previously rendered video with all the other cuts already). It's actually a little shorter than before too...I hope I didn't leave anything like 2 hours down on the timeline.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll be starting on the extra edits needed for this edit either tonight or tomorrow. I don't imagine it will take more than a few days. I'll upload both a SL and DL DVD, and a blu-ray as I am for the Kitten Calendar Edition.

Once all that is complete, I think I'll be releasing a combined set: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - The Reformatted Collection. This will be available as a single dual layer DVD or blu-ray and will contain BOTH versions of the film complete with their own menus.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Editing is now complete. Final Runtime is 2 hrs 7 minutes (127 minutes). Total cut is 23.5 minutes.

It is rendering now, and there should be something available within a few days.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The SL DVD of this version is now available.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent Kevinicus. I'll give this a try - as I was impressed that you were trying to address the geographical issues at the end of the film.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got this last night, using the awesome Megaupload. I wish more people would use it instead of Rapidshare. Anyway, I'll watch it soon. :)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripplin said:
I got this last night, using the awesome Megaupload. I wish more people would use it instead of Rapidshare. Anyway, I'll watch it soon. :)

Why? RS is fine for me.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since I've done fanedit of this movie myself, there is no reason to say what I would do differently (what shpould be cut, what should be left in) cause my version speaks for itself. We both know you cut out some things that I would left in, and left in some things that I would definitely cut out, so It will be mainly about technical aspects of the cuts and movie itself (or - list of issues I had with it during watching ;))

I tried DVD-5 version just after watching my finished version of this movie.

First of all - There is nice menu here. Much better than the one with kitten on the other edition.

Picture looks kinda soft compared to retail DVD release (I was watching it on DVD player and 32" LCD screen), and its soft even after I turned Resolution+ to max on my TV and add some sharpness. When I was watching original DVD I had tu turn down sharpness and contrast, so there is a difference. I think that something must have gone wrong during converting from HD to DVD, and there is one more video problem with...well..."stairs", (I dont know how to name it in english, but it looks similar to some interleaving issues, or something which appeared when I forgot turn on "bilinear" when changing AVI resolution in virtual dub once) and it is really annoying.

And now something about cuts:

- it looks like there is no real opening in this version. We go from Paramount logo straight to Pentagon/Nest, then, after Shanghai battle we have Transformers logo slammed in and Sam's mom just after it. I dont like it.
- somewhere around 1:05 there is strange music transition, ljust like it starts and ends in 3 seconds.
- Shanghai - cutting out twins - Lennox line is edited well but seems little out of place when is said offscreen, maybe it should be deleted
- cutting Dad's talking about girls - that was well done :)
- garage scene - cut after "I'm safe now" to "You always be my first car" doesnt work very well imo
- Diego Garcia - in the point when Twins were edited out there is some weird and noticeable audio transition. It's not like hard cut, but just sounds like made up transition which is suppose to cover the cut and is not from original movie.
- during Sam & Leo first conversation some shots were trimmed too short, and because of they're rather obvious cuts. Besides Leo says that he already chose "that side" and there is no reaction from Sam, they just go to the other room.
- lecture scene - well done
- room scene with Sam, Alice and Leo - well done, definitely better cut than the one from my version, I wish I've done it this way :)
- deleting repeated Soundwave footage - that's a good thing to do which I have not done in my edit just because I wanted to have every single Soundwave line in (cause I was changing his voice). But without it removed there is continuity error cause Soundwae isnt attached to satellite in this repetaed footage, and a moment later he is. So it is surely good change.

To Be Continued...

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it always seems to me to be "bad sport" commenting negatively on a fanedit of the same movie oneself has just created.
Seriously, gieferg, others should state their opinions who appear to be less biased than you, because of course you prefer your version, otherwise you would not have created it.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seriously, gieferg, others should state their opinions

Certainly they should, but somehow, since first version of Kevinicus ROTF edit have been released there was no single review written.

it always seems to me to be "bad sport" commenting negatively on a fanedit of the same movie oneself has just created

Let me put it this way:

1) I am commenting on edits in which I am interested, and I am interested in any TF:ROTF edit, especially because I've spent many hours on this movie.

2) I am giving mainly facts here (and some opinions about how specific cuts were handled), no opinions about what should/shouldnt be cut, if there are some quality issues (like video quality for example), why not mention them? My edit isnt flawless also either in video quality or editing, there is some artifacting here and there, and I messed up audio in 2 or 3 scenes cause I dont have 5.1 equipment to check it out, so even if it is 5.1 it surely wont sound like 5.1. If there are some issues with my edit (and there are) I am not afraid that they will be pointed out by somebody, moreover, I hope that anyone who find them will tell me about them, and he may do it on this board.

3) it looks like there is not many people interested enough to write detailed review of it. I am.

4) if something is just ok, there is no point to mention it (and there is plenty of ok cuts in this edit), if something is really well done, and in this particualr edit I've found some things that were done BETTER than I did, I surely won't forget to mention them. If something is wrong - maybe editor will fix it, If he wishes to.

5) I would be HAPPY to read detailed review of my edit from Kevinicus (or anyone else) even if it was in 90% just pointing out flaws in it.

But I understand that someone could have see it in different way, so, if Kevinicus himself thinks that my review is "bad sport" and he is offended by it somehow, I will remove it. No problem. This review is written FOR the editor not against him. I hope that my point of view, and my intentions are clear now.

Kevinicus :arrow: just let me know if I should write down the rest of my thoughts about second half of the movie or just STFU and delete what I've already written :) Either way I will do exactly what you want.

PS. video quality issue which I've mentioned could be fixed (since there is BR version from which it the DVD was done), but it needs proper encoding tool.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just rated and reviewed this edit. I appreciate your efforts, Kevinicus. :)

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripplin in review said:
Video and audio quality are top notch

How big is your screen? Just curious.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
Ripplin in review said:
Video and audio quality are top notch
How big is your screen? Just curious.
Well, it's a 32" CRT, so I'm sure no one cares about that, but I mean that the quality of the video and audio is comparable to a disc right off the shelf. :)

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
Since I've done fanedit of this movie myself, there is no reason to say what I would do differently (what shpould be cut, what should be left in) cause my version speaks for itself. We both know you cut out some things that I would left in, and left in some things that I would definitely cut out, so It will be mainly about technical aspects of the cuts and movie itself (or - list of issues I had with it during watching ;))

I tried DVD-5 version just after watching my finished version of this movie.

First of all - There is nice menu here. Much better than the one with kitten on the other edition.

Picture looks kinda soft compared to retail DVD release (I was watching it on DVD player and 32" LCD screen), and its soft even after I turned Resolution+ to max on my TV and add some sharpness. When I was watching original DVD I had tu turn down sharpness and contrast, so there is a difference. I think that something must have gone wrong during converting from HD to DVD, and there is one more video problem with...well..."stairs", (I dont know how to name it in english, but it looks similar to some interleaving issues, or something which appeared when I forgot turn on "bilinear" when changing AVI resolution in virtual dub once) and it is really annoying.

And now something about cuts:

- it looks like there is no real opening in this version. We go from Paramount logo straight to Pentagon/Nest, then, after Shanghai battle we have Transformers logo slammed in and Sam's mom just after it. I dont like it.
- somewhere around 1:05 there is strange music transition, ljust like it starts and ends in 3 seconds.
- Shanghai - cutting out twins - Lennox line is edited well but seems little out of place when is said offscreen, maybe it should be deleted
- cutting Dad's talking about girls - that was well done :)
- garage scene - cut after "I'm safe now" to "You always be my first car" doesnt work very well imo
- Diego Garcia - in the point when Twins were edited out there is some weird and noticeable audio transition. It's not like hard cut, but just sounds like made up transition which is suppose to cover the cut and is not from original movie.
- during Sam & Leo first conversation some shots were trimmed too short, and because of they're rather obvious cuts. Besides Leo says that he already chose "that side" and there is no reaction from Sam, they just go to the other room.
- lecture scene - well done
- room scene with Sam, Alice and Leo - well done, definitely better cut than the one from my version, I wish I've done it this way :)
- deleting repeated Soundwave footage - that's a good thing to do which I have not done in my edit just because I wanted to have every single Soundwave line in (cause I was changing his voice). But without it removed there is continuity error cause Soundwae isnt attached to satellite in this repetaed footage, and a moment later he is. So it is surely good change.

To Be Continued...

The menu believe it or not took about 1/15th the amount of time as the Kitten Calendar one did, and that includes editing that video on the main menu.

I'm not sure about the technical issues you're having. As for the softness I didn't notice it (on my 23" monitor), but my eye is very spoiled by BR so, pretty much everything else looks like crap, so it's difficult for me to judge to be honest. I didn't notice any of the "stairs" you mention.

The opening is somewhat abrupt, but I didn't feel there was a need to dawdle too much. I could have left in the opening shot of Shanghai and all the people being escorted out, but I really think the short bit with the people being escorted out comes across as amateurish. The audio with that scene is just weak. So I didn't feel good about going straight from the establishing shot with the text, to the NEST command with text. This is why the Twins should stay :) I like the title sequence much better than Bay's jump shot to the dogs, and didn't really want to title right at the beginning. I also considered throwing in some Paramount/Dreamworks & Hasbro credits from the first movie to drag it out a bit, but figured it didn't matter much.

The audio at 1:05 I'm not sure why it sounds strange, it seems pretty smooth and flows into the audio fine to me.

As for Lennox's voice, I was mixed about that. It sounded a little better when I played it back on Vegas, more like it was coming from off screen and not directly at you. I did it just because I don't think Arcee's name is referenced again until the end of the movie, and I couldn't leave the full line in there.

Only thing I don't like about how I cut around Sam's dad talking about the girls is the continuity error of her not having the phone in her ear the first scene, though I guess one can just assume she put it in when Sam calls her (she doesn't have to be the one calling).

I don't think much about the garage scene works that well really, edited, or unedited. The dialogue is just poor.

Diego Garcia: There is actually a very small transition there. It's mostly just audio fade. I thought it blended well.

Sam/Leo: I know what you're speaking of about the quick cuts, but that is Bay, not me. As for Sam not reacting, I thought his momentary blank, but somewhat "wtf?" stare was enough.

I don't have any issues with you commenting. I have specific reasons for everything I did, so I'm ok with explaining them. The technical issues though I haven't noticed myself.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As for the softness I didn't notice it (on my 23" monitor), but my eye is very spoiled by BR so, pretty much everything else looks like crap

And that could be the reason :)
But let's just wait for opinions of others.

I could have left in the opening shot of Shanghai and all the people being escorted out

I think that would be the right thing to do.

I like the title sequence much better than Bay's jump shot to the dogs

Well, this jump to the dogs was weak. In fact I'm not very happy with it, and I am also not very happy with transition which I have done too.

Diego Garcia: There is actually a very small transition there. It's mostly just audio fade. I thought it blended well.

Maybe there's just too much of the fade (I feel like music has too low volume level at some point but maybe that's just me).

I know what you're speaking of about the quick cuts, but that is Bay, not me.

Well, I've just checked and it looks like you're right, maybe just the fact that there is part of dialogue missing makes me think that something's wrong with it.

Top Bottom