• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote NOW for January FEOTM!

Transformers - Revenge of The Fallen - Gieferg's Cut

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
Looks like there will be many edits of ROTF, but it's no surprise - this movie needs editing badly.

I'm honestly quite surprised it only took you 10 hours.

This first version (which is now available) took only 10 hours but I've spent another 5 or so, fixing errors which I've found and adding some things for DVD release, and maybe I'll spend even more time on it, if only someone tell me what should be done/fixed.

[quote:1eai16xl] find it pretty amazing sometimes watching other people's edits how several people can come up with the exact same cuts

For example?

this is a matter of taste as I love the Twins

I generally hate them, but I didnt want to cut too much of the transformers from this movie, so most of their scenes are still in. Just two of them were cut. One of my first ideas for this edit was to kill Mudflap by cutting all of his scenes after being swallowed by Devastator, but I assume, he can be in the sequel, and I dont want this kind of discontinuity, so, eventually had to let him live.

and find the parents humorous in small doses

I like them in first movie but not in this one.

EDIT:

- next little change for DVD release -> there is shot of Optimus used twice, but the second time it's mirrored and plays backwards: 1 - when Optimus awakens (just after Jetfire's "a living prime, I cant believe it") 2 - when Jetfire offers him his parts - the first one was easier to remove so It has been cut.

There is similar situation with BBB in garage scene, but I think It will stay, cause it is not as obvious as shot with Optimus.[/quote:1eai16xl]

I didn't watch the movie as a whole, just skimmed through to check out some bits. Still 10 hours for as much as you did without a lot of jarringly bad cuts is pretty good. As for an example of the same things, I was more referring to the edits of the original movie, where I've noticed the same cuts a few times in several versions. But in reference to your version, an example is the trimming of Leo's roommates. Now you and I don't have the exact same edit there, but it's very close (I believe your version just adds in the, "the video doesn't lie" line). I liked the parents more in the first as well I think, but there was once small bit I wanted to keep of Sam's mom telling the girls he popped his cherry and that he dressed up as Boy Spice. In order for that to make sense I had to keep the first part with the brownie. I tried to trim it so many different ways because there was more in that part of the movie I wanted to trim as well, but it just wasn't working. I was able to cut off the entire frisbee bit though.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
but there was once small bit I wanted to keep of Sam's mom telling the girls he popped his cherry

That's the scene I've cut out first (I mean whole stoned Mom sequence) :)

Still 10 hours for as much as you did without a lot of jarringly bad cuts is pretty good.

"Without a lot" probably means that there is a few bad cuts :) I would appreciate if you can mention any of them, so i can fix it for DVD release.

(bad cut at 8:54 is already fixed for that matter)

PS. Covers for upcoming DVD version:

version 1: http://rapidshare.com/files/303119128/R ... _cover.rar
version 2: http://rapidshare.com/files/303225775/ROTF_GC_ver2.jpg

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
but there was once small bit I wanted to keep of Sam's mom telling the girls he popped his cherry

That's the scene I've cut out first (I mean whole stoned Mom sequence) :)

[quote:3zvb52n5] Still 10 hours for as much as you did without a lot of jarringly bad cuts is pretty good.

"Without a lot" probably means that there is a few bad cuts :) I would appreciate if you can mention any of them, so i can fix it for DVD release.

(bad cut at 8:54 is already fixed for that matter)

[/quote:3zvb52n5]

Well actually I didn't notice any really bad cuts on a technical/audio level. There were a few that I would say weren't perfectly seamless or felt awkward for some reasons. Again I haven't watched the entire thing, so there are some I haven't seen.

Examples though, the opening shot of Sam's Mom crying. I completely understand what you were going for, as I've trimmed up that scene as well, but this particular bit just feels like something was missed since she says she's crying again. If you're going to jump straight to that part of the scene, I think it might work better just starting with Sam and his Dad.

The Fuel the Jet part. I definitely wanted to cut this out of mine as well and tried about 100 times and never could get it so that I was satisfied with it. I don't think your cut here is bad, but it does have a little bit of a jumpy feel to it, and I think is a somewhat obvious cut.

And the other lame aspect of this scene (which Bay & company didn't cut very well either) the part where Leo talks about all the women in the dorm and we see Alice for the first time. I tried to remove this scene entirely, but again kept it because I couldn't do what I really wanted without it. It's hard to criticize you for doing basically the exact same thing Bay does but it does feel a little off. It might work better if you go cut Sam asking if he can switch rooms and go from Sam walking away to the next scene of Leo apologizing.

And the bit in Sam's room when he's freaking out. The small clip in there of him just standing in the middle of the room when he was just in the corner is slightly awkward for me.

One last thing which, technically, and continuity wise isn't really a problem, but just seemed weird to me was during the class scene where you used a shot from the end of the film with Sam with a huge grin on his face. Was just a little creepy in that context.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're going to jump straight to that part of the scene, I think it might work better just starting with Sam and his Dad.
Yes, I know what you mean, but the point is that this sequence should introduce whole Witwicky family, and to achieve it, mom can't be cut entirely, especially when they'are talikng about her.

The Fuel the Jet part.

True. I'm not happy with that cut (cause it's visible) and it is possible that I will restore "Fuel the jet" for final version, or maybe try to cut this scene differently.

And the bit in Sam's room when he's freaking out. The small clip in there of him just standing in the middle of the room when he was just in the corner is slightly awkward for me.

Also true. But in fact this is not as awkward as the original scene from the first movie, at the final city battle when we see Sam with BBB, then with Mikaela, then again sitting with the allspark :) Just not perfect cut but in Bayish fashion ;) I will try to figure out better solution, but if nothing comes to my mind, this will probably stay as it is.

but just seemed weird to me was during the class scene where you used a shot from the end of the film with Sam with a huge grin on his face

But I have not done that :shock: The only thing that I've done to end credits scenes was cutting them out completely. Maybe there is another example of re-using shots by Bay himself?

I'm not sure if I should try and improve cut where the "Enemy scrotum" originally was. I mean - audio transition may be better.

Thanks for comments, they will be useful.
When you finish your ROTF edit I'll surely watch it and comment on it. I'm not really interested in first movie edits as it was always fine for me as it is, or there were just too few moments which I would like to cut to even bother doing that, or trying someone's else edits. This is another story with ROTF :)

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
If you're going to jump straight to that part of the scene, I think it might work better just starting with Sam and his Dad.
Yes, I know what you mean, but the point is that this sequence should introduce whole Witwicky family, and to achieve it, mom can't be cut entirely, especially when they'are talikng about her.

[quote:1vx0pswx]The Fuel the Jet part.

True. I'm not happy with that cut (cause it's visible) and it is possible that I will restore "Fuel the jet" for final version, or maybe try to cut this scene differently.

Also true. But in fact this is not as awkward as the original scene from the first movie, at the final city battle when we see Sam with BBB, then with Mikaela, then again sitting with the allspark :) Just not perfect cut but in Bayish fashion ;) I will try to figure out better solution, but if nothing comes to my mind, this will probably stay as it is.

but just seemed weird to me was during the class scene where you used a shot from the end of the film with Sam with a huge grin on his face

But I have not done that :shock: The only thing that I've done to end credits scenes was cutting them out completely. Maybe there is another example of re-using shots by Bay himself?

I'm not sure if I should try and improve cut where the "Enemy scrotum" originally was. I mean - audio transition may be better.

Thanks for comments, they will be useful.
When you finish your ROTF edit I'll surely watch it and comment on it. I'm not really interested in first movie edits as it was always fine for me as it is, or there were just too few moments which I would like to cut to even bother doing that, or trying someone's else edits. This is another story with ROTF :)[/quote:1vx0pswx]

That is true about having all the Witwickys, though as far as them referencing her, you could start after that and where the Dad starts talking about them being proud. I chose to start the scene with her first instance of crying and ended it with Sam's dad doing his "chop chop, let's go." I also got rid of the whole spiel his dad was giving him about girls at college, the only way it seemed to work well for me was if I kept the initiation of that conversation which was as we all know the dogs humping, and that absolutely had to go.

I know about that final battle scene too. I tried to cut that out in my edit of the original. I almost had it but in the end I had to keep it. I'm probably a little too strict sometimes about keeping something because removing it causes one tiny little flaw, but that's how I am.

I guess I was mistaken as to where that shot came from. I could have swore it was from the extra bit at the end when he goes back to class and everyone knows who he is and they're all smiles, and so on. I guess it could have been from the first scene, I don't have the movie memorized quite yet (I'm not yet that far in my edit - almost).

Editing this movie would be a lot easier if Bay didn't insist on some sort of background music for almost every single second.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also got rid of the whole spiel his dad was giving him about girls at college

I thought of this too.

But there were some problems with that song in the background, and I finally decided, that I'll keep that conversation even without humping dogs. Maybe it seems incomplete, but we can assume that they started talking about it offscreen. I dont have problem with this :)

Besides this conversation is serving as Mikaela introduction, so there is a reason to keep it.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally got around to editing the classroom scene and you're right, that was part of that scene. I wasn't fully paying attention the first time I guess. But I think it still felt a little awkward for me though where you did cut it, because there is very little between his smiling like that and the bewildered starting to freak out look he has a few seconds later, and there is a somewhat noticeable audio inconsistancy with the Teacher's voice in the background (this may be the biggest issue).

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didnt even notice that something's wrong with the audio here, but i probably try to smooth the transition for DVD release. The cut hovewer stays where it is, as I really hate the scene which was cut.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
I didnt even notice that something's wrong with the audio here, but i probably try to smooth the transition for DVD release. The cut hovewer stays where it is, as I really hate the scene which was cut.

Believe me, so do I. The apple bit with the girl anyway, I don't hate his speech he starts quite as much. I cut to the shot of all the girls in the front row listening to him as he starts to talk and went from there. Slightly longer than yours, but his talking is complete and the apple girl is still gone.

I'm cutting up the Alice/Sam bedroom scene now trying to get rid of the line, "They're generally amazing...in bed." I think I've got it now, just need to adjust the audio slightly and I'll be good.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anyone's wondering what the hell happened to RS avi release, just wait couple of days, the DVD version (2x Single Layer NTSC) is on it's way.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
If anyone's wondering what the hell happened to RS avi release, just wait couple of days, the DVD version (2x Single Layer NTSC) is on it's way.

I'm still not even to Jetfire yet :-(

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD version has been already completed.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
- Leo's "So Hot" in the car removed

Thanks for reminding me about that. I had made note to do that when I got to that section a few days ago, but last night when working on it I completely skipped over it.

CasmirRadon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:

So it is two entire DVD's, and the first one will simply end in the middle of the movie, then I'll have to put the other one in and it will pick up where I left off?

If that's true it sounds really really awkward. Is there no way to get a good looking encode out of a single disk? Even if you had to make it a DL DVD that would be far better. Understand that this is just my opinion, but it seems to me that probably very few will feel like downloading two separate SL DVDs, especially for a firstling that will probably get a revision in the future (as per your own words).

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChldsPlay said:
Is there no way to get a good looking encode out of a single disk? Even if you had to make it a DL DVD that would be far better.
Well, it should, since the retail DVD is just one disc for the movie :)

I'd suggest to just finish it off first, make it final, then release the DVD.
Espcially since there is a slow upload speed involved, why waste the time and bandwidth on 2 separate DVDs that nobody will likely download?

Better off to just upload an up to date avi at this point.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like software which is available is'nt able to create 1xSL 131 minutes long and looking good.

So we start whining again?

Avi version has been already available...

Almost no one seemed to be interested in it. Just one person here said anything about it

And by the way - this is FINAL VERSION

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg, is it just me or did you also find the 2nd half (Jetfire onward) of the movie more difficult to cut how you'd like? There also seems to be longer gaps in between areas to cut, I suppose that is since there is so much of the exposition during this part. I know there are some good size chunks I'll be cutting out once I get there (Galloway, military, etc.) and I just hope those don't give me as much problems of some of the cuts I've been working on (Currently the whole Jetfire bit, can't find a way to be perfectly smooth and seamless with the parachute part, and wanting to remove his mentioning that the Fallen hates humans. I don't want to limit how long ago the Fallen was on Earth originally.).

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jetfire scene with parachute (and humping Wheelie by the way) was rather difficult to cut out and this is one of few moments which I am not quite happy with.

Probably you're right. First part is easier to cut.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
So we start whining again?
uh... You mistake trying to help somebody that does stuff asswards for whining.
I too, like yourself, don't care all that much.
Gieferg said:
Avi version has been already available...

Almost no one seemed to be interested in it. Just one person here said anything about it
uh... Wasn't that deleted almost immediately?
Plus, I'm sure it wasn't the latest version. You had a couple of posts that said "will be fixed for the DVD" yada yada yada... Therefore, not many would download a version that is not finished.
Gieferg said:
And by the way - this is FINAL VERSION
Super. So why not upload an avi of this final version? Like I said above, people were probably waiting for a fixed version.

I am curious as to why the DVD release is so huge.
What are the specs?
It's not PCM audio I hope. That's just a waste of gigabytes when it would sound equally as good in a compressed format like AC3.

Top Bottom