• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Transformers: Darkest Hour

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Both the now defunct DreamWave and IDW comic companies publish/ed TRANSFORMERS Generation One comics, I am sure you could find a cool image to use for your cover/poster art. :)

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Those are just shrunken versions of the front covers. I didn't make those. I have no image skills whatsoever. The most that I contributed was that image of Relena Peacecraft (which looks pixelated when viewing the full-sized cover art), the Pamela/Scott image, an idea for the basic layout of the "Office Space" front cover, and a hi-res scan of my Captain N DVD.

I asked OnlyOneKenobi for help and am awaiting a response.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Both the now defunct DreamWave and IDW comic companies publish/ed TRANSFORMERS Generation One comics, I am sure you could find a cool image to use for your cover/poster art. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. (I'd rather not revisit the debacle that was the Dreamwave comics nor its superstar artist.) I'm unfamiliar with the IDW comics. I imagine the cover art having images of the main players, such as Optimus, Galvatron, Jessica Morgan, her dad, and Gregory Swofford. Those latter three existed in only the cartoon series.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Might be tricky finding an image with those specific supporting characters.

How about something more traditional like this....

hz5u.png

Though I guess Megatron would not work in this instance.... :-(

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Though I guess Megatron would not work in this instance.... :-(

Megatron's in there for all of a few seconds. Though it's a flashback, it technically marks his final G1 appearance.

And "supporting characters" vs. "main characters" is a bit convoluted in this particular edit. The different episodes each focus on different characters. "Dark Awakening" itself runs through a ton of characters. Humans such as Spike and Daniel, who feature prominently in the beginning, eventually shut up and fall into the background, replaced by other characters. Mark Morgan and Gregory Swofford feature heavily in "The Return of Optimus Prime" Part 1 but get only a few lines in Part 2. Galvatron is in only a few minutes of "Dark Awakening" before disappearing (along with the rest of the Decepticons, to be replaced by the Quintessons as the villains for the rest of the episode) but has decent-sized roles in TRoOP1&2. Jessica features heavily in both parts of TRoOP (though less so in Part 2, since she disappears around ten minutes before the end only to re-emerge at the very end).

While creating the credits, I had counted the words of each character in my edit in order to determine the order in which the actors' names were listed. While I ultimately went by actors' total contribution as opposed to primary character's prominence, here are the top ten characters in order of total number of words spoken:

Optimus Prime
Rodimus Prime
Jessica Morgan
Galvatron
Sky Lynx (most of this is due to Sky Lynx recapping TRoOP1 - instead of Jessica, because that would make too much damn sense)
Gregory Swofford
Mark Morgan
Kup
Ultra Magnus
Blurr (primarily due to Blurr's shortcut method of sounding fast: repeating a lot of words)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's an early review. Thanks Mark for letting me view it

I am very impressed with the visual rendering, and the comparison video you packaged with the edit proved educational and were reminscent of the TF Movie DVDs I picked up in 2007 which boasted similar features.

On a narrative level, the story is very clear and both Optimus revival episodes compliment each other well, I quite like how you synched up Optimus's suicide mission with his rescue. Being an editor I have often wondered if one could skirt around showing the crisp and clean looking Optimus the whole time the rescue mission was underway, but watching it with it fresh again in the memory I can now say that would prove monumentally difficult. Obviously the continuity gaffs can't be avoided, but the storyline still works.

There were instances where I feel the traditional Autobot/Decepticon logo flips would have provided better transistions than some abrupt cutaways and transistion fade-ins, the sequence following Prime being revived for example is quite sudden, as is a scene from earlier which switches from a sun to the moon (visually that's great, it's just the audio cut that sticks out)

Also, did we need to have a recap of the story so far half-way through the movie? I know Optimus needs to be brought up to speed, but we as the viewing audience certaingly don't. I think this could have been easily skipped.

There is plenty to enjoy in this omnibus, and it was good to revisit some of these really solid run of storylines and characters, combined with a firm restructuring of the visual specifications, I would still recommend viewing this edit even if I have a feeling it's only a few steps away from being truly refined

Hope this helps.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

Lookin' good! :) I submitted the edit last night. All that needs to be done is for the cover art to be added.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've already taken care of it. Should be released on the front page sometime today. :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on finally releasing it Mark. I'll be sure to leave a review as soon as it's up.:)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
True to my word, just left a review. It's almost identical to the one I left on this thread.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit has been released, congrats on finishing! Thread has been moved. Rock on.

tyke

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am a huge G1 fan and am very much looking forward to seeing this! Even more excited after reading the reviews :)

Top Bottom