• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Transformers: Attack of the Score - May the force be with the Autobots!

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is still under review, but the edit will not be posted on FE at this time.

As far as discussion about the project being a Fanedit or not, I will leave it up to blueyoda to decide what happens in his thread.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rescores are harder than anything else ive ever done in editing.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the much older days of this site an edit that just changed the music regardless of how different it made the overall mood and/or tone of a film was not enough to be considered a true fan edit (I seem to recall postings in the ideas forum and firstlings forum when such things were asked).

However since it is a newer staff and things are moving in newer directions this may fly now and not be a problem. Either way glad I snagged it before it was taken down (temporarily?) . Looking forward to watching this

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
rescores are harder than anything else ive ever done in editing.

Absolutely. No one is doubting the value and intensive work done to create this.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yoda, perhaps you should add an intermission?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
voice from the peanut gallery:

yoda's new shiny sounds like a fanedit. the old FE definitions could be fairly arbitrary. . . e.g., the 15-minute qualification.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Everyone,

Thanks for your input and thoughts. Rest assured the team is giving this a lot of thought. It also isn't just about blueyoda's edit, but what allowing it would mean for other edits. The team has been trying to move toward a less arbitrary rule set, and "significant" is hard to quantify.

There is no doubt that blueyoda put a significant amount of work into this. Audio editing is some of the hardest to pull off. There also is no question that this is a fanedited movie. We also want to get away from calling things "fanedit" or not based on the number of cuts. Also, calling this a "custom DVD," as it sort of would under old rules is somewhat insulting. Hence we would like to move toward a better review and classification system.

The concern for some of the staff is that we would be providing an unaltered video. While I'm sure blueyoda appreciates all your input, we do not need a public vote. It is up to the staff, and I am sure they will make what they feel is the best decision. Please feel free to discuss the edit, but I would suggest less discussion of "my vote is ____"

thanks.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
The concern for some of the staff is that we would be providing an unaltered video. While I'm sure blueyoda appreciates all your input, we do not need a public vote. It is up to the staff, and I am sure they will make what they feel is the best decision. Please feel free to discuss the edit, but I would suggest less discussion of "my vote is ____"

That was my concern as well. I meant no disrespect to blueyoda by calling it a "custom DVD". I certainly understand how much work can go into editing just the audio. I was merely looking at it from a legal standpoint, because as you said, FE would be providing unaltered video.

Dethryl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have watched this edit. My memory of the original is a bit fuzzy, but I think a few scenes have been cut down (Starscream's coronation specifically). Probably not enough to be significant.

As to the new score, I'm iffy. Some scenes worked well, others not so much. Part of the problem with using Duel for the Megatron/Optimus fight is that it's over too quickly. For good or ill, I hear that music and expect a long and exciting battle. I expected new music during the battle for Autobot City, so to have the original was jarring. I didn't mind that you kept Dare, but it is out of place, being the only section where the real music is left in place. To not have The Touch threw me for a loop since we'd kept Dare, and those are the two Stan Bush songs. I loved the podrace music in place of Instruments of Destruction.

I still have my BetaMax tape of this movie. There were places where I could tell that lines were missing. I could half hear some of them due to the rebuilt sound. Other times the audio cuts seemed hard, and there were a few places where the sound just stopped at the end of a scene before the sound far the next picked up.

This was an interesting experience. Based on the trailer, I thought I would enjoy it more than I did. I will show it to a friend, as Transformers and Star Wars are two of his favorite properties, but I don't think I'll burn a disc of it. I know an incredible amount of work went into this, but the end product just wasn't satisfying enough.

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! That's really effective. How did you remove the original music? The Williams score works fantastically.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review Infamous TC. A few comments though: no dialog was altered in my version of the movie. Your memory played tricks on you!

As for some of the original music being kept in my version (and this will answer Toonloon's question as well): the center track for the old UK Version of the movie was clean, so I could simply use that and replace the music as I saw fit... Except for those two chapters where the music is inexplicably in the center channel. Couldn't do anything about that so I just left it in. I realize it's a bit jarring but it was either that or no fanedit at all.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched the "Duel of the Fates" clip. Great work, Blueyoda!

Syncing up the music sure can be difficult. I'm working on a Star Wars edit where I'm using music from other Star Wars films. But every track has something tricky and unexpected in it. A quiet piece will suddenly flare up with loud music at an inappropriate point, or a quiet track will suddenly get loud and suspenseful. As I said, I'm just doing Star Wars to Star Wars. I can't imagine what Star Wars to Transformers is like! :)

Incidentally, what's Megatron holding in his hand at that one point? It looks like a lightsaber! I know that was from the original movie, but I can't remember much more about it. The "lightsaber" just makes the music work all the better!

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
blueyoda said:
Thanks for the review Infamous TC. A few comments though: no dialog was altered in my version of the movie. Your memory played tricks on you!

As for some of the original music being kept in my version (and this will answer Toonloon's question as well): the center track for the old UK Version of the movie was clean, so I could simply use that and replace the music as I saw fit... Except for those two chapters where the music is inexplicably in the center channel. Couldn't do anything about that so I just left it in. I realize it's a bit jarring but it was either that or no fanedit at all.

curious, did the new Sony one have a 5.1 track? You should check that in case it was a different mix and could fix the two points you had an issue with

Dethryl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would it be possible to subtract the music? The anniversary soundtrack had the instrumental stuff. I'm not trying to give you grief (even though it sounds like it). I'm just throwing ideas out. I have yet to seriously attempt audio, so I have no idea if that would even work. Plenty of laser sounds could be harvested from the show. It might be possible to reconstruct the sound mix for these.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Incidentally, what's Megatron holding in his hand at that one point? It looks like a lightsaber! I know that was from the original movie, but I can't remember much more about it. The "lightsaber" just makes the music work all the better!

It is a lightsaber!

tranzor said:
curious, did the new Sony one have a 5.1 track? You should check that in case it was a different mix and could fix the two points you had an issue with

The new Sony one has a 5.1 track but the music bleeds into the center channel. The only DVD that has a "clean" center track is the UK released "Reconstructed" DVD. Except for two scenes, unfortunately.

Infamous TC said:
Would it be possible to subtract the music? The anniversary soundtrack had the instrumental stuff. I'm not trying to give you grief (even though it sounds like it). I'm just throwing ideas out. I have yet to seriously attempt audio, so I have no idea if that would even work. Plenty of laser sounds could be harvested from the show. It might be possible to reconstruct the sound mix for these.

I wouldn't mind reconstructing sounds but I can't reconstruct dialog, and these two scenes are dialog-heavy.

I've tried substracting the music but have failed - I'm not sure it's even possible. Perhaps I did it wrong. I might do a HD version with some help from Reave; he might have a few ideas about how to remove the music in those scenes.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
blueyoda said:
I might do a HD version with some help from Reave...

So we can expect to see it soon then, right? Reave's known for pumping them out.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Substracting music needs the exact same audio, with the same frequencies, same volume, ect.
Finding an instrumental version of the movie does not means that you can substrac it to the original audio. Even if your hearing tells you that it's the same music, it sure ain't at the same volume, ain't going to start exactly at the same moments and the whole thing was sure not encoded with the exact same compression. Meaning it won't work.
You can try. But prepare yourself for a letdown.

Dethryl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:

This movie has so much SW imagery. Megatron's lightsabre , the planet-destroying menace, the confrontation in the dark at the end, the death of the old hero and the rise of the new, and on and on. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

Blueyoda, the one instance I can recall right now is on the Junkion ship. "Or your money back!" seemed very faint. By the way, was the coronation scene cut down? I remember Astrotrain trying to place the crown on his head several times, not just the twice. Now I want to pull out the original and watch it again.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
blueyoda said:
I might do a HD version with some help from Reave; he might have a few ideas about how to remove the music in those scenes.

There is no "might" about it.

Neglify said:
So we can expect to see it soon then, right? Reave's known for pumping them out.

Work has already began on it. Should be semi-easy as most of the work is already done.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:

1 out of 1 TV's Frinks like this post.

Top Bottom