• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Top Ten TV Shows

bionicbob said:
these are PERSONAL favourites, NOT A CRITICS BEST LIST. :p

Totally fair.  Given your personal faves, I was surprised The Shield wasn't also in the top 10.  It's actually older than Justified and shares some of the same actors and sensibilities.  If you haven't watched it, I really think you'd like it.

I don't watch nearly as much TV as movies, but for top cop shows, I'd say:
1. The Shield
2. The Wire
3. Dexter S1
4. True Detective S1
5. Reno 911
6. Miami Vice
7. 21 Jump St.
(Honestly those last two are kind of nostalgia picks for me... they admittedly fall apart in the final seasons.)

There are several other series that'd probably make my list, but I haven't seen all the episodes yet.  Justified, The Killing, Southland... plus there are all the ones that focus more on the crime than the cops!  Anyway, there's my personal list.  :)

Moe_Syzlak said:
I can’t keep my lists to just 10. And a lot of these are on my list for specific periods of time, with weaker seasons being more or less ignored. 

(Npo)

Dramas

Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones 
Sopranos
Twin Peaks
Six Feet Under
Peaky Blinders
Better Call Saul
Fargo
Mad Men
Lost
Hannibal
The Americans
24 (first half of the first season is what earns it a spot on my list)
Narcos

Comedies

Simpsons
Seinfeld
Arrested Development 
30 Rock
Monty Python’s Flying Circus
MASH
All in the Family
Cheers
Curb Your Enthusiasm 
Taxi
The Office (both)
WKRP in Cincinnati 
Always Sunny In Philadelphia 
South Park

I’d add Deadwood and Dark to my dramas list now.

Not in any particular order:
  • Community
  • The Office (US)
  • Breaking Bad
  • Better Call Saul
  • How I Met Your Mother
  • Parks & Rec
  • Seinfeld
  • Diff'rent Strokes
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
  • The Mandalorian

Modern Family has Ty Burrell, so I'm sure it's amazing. Haven't watched it though.

1. True Detective season one
2. Deadwood
3. Breaking Bad
4. Chernobyl
5. Mad Men
6. Succession
7. Mindhunter
8. The Wire (blasphemy I know but I haven't finished it yet, only saw a few episodes so far)
9. Dahmer
10. Euphoria
11. Fargo season 1 and 2

All of these shows are what I deem to be objectively good. Subjectively they can be not someone's taste ofcourse, but if you try to pull it apart you'll find there is barely anything to actually criticise beyond 'I just don't like it'.

In no particular order...
  • Red Dwarf
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
  • Parks and Recreation
  • Daredevil
  • Loki
  • Stargate SG-1
  • Blackadder
  • Will and Grace
  • Top Gear/The Grand Tour
Honourable mentions to The Mandalorian, Chernobyl, Firefly, Andor, and Star Treks Voyager, Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds, and one third of Picard.

Oh yeah, definitely. Different continuity from the DCAU/Timmverse, but very high quality. It's one of those gems like Firefly, a hit with the fans, but the company in charge didn't know what to do with it, and killed before it had its time to really shine. Apparently the DC streaming service resurrected it and produced a third season recently, but I don't have the service so I haven't seen any of their exclusives, so I don't know if the new season is any good. Probably my favorite depiction of Superboy and honestly most of the (former) DC sidekicks.
DCEU has since gone on to make a 3rd and 4th season of Young Justice! For me, each season is a little frustrating in terms of them skipping ahead in time, past events that I would have liked to have seen followed up on. Season 4 does refreshingly re-center on many of the S1 characters, but it has the cheapest animation and the worst-paced writing. Highs and lows there. Still, very worth watching!

I've gone on to dig up shows that Greig Weisman previously ran... I had watched Gargoyles back in the day obviously, but I've rewatched it now and it still holds up! Also caught up with his Spectacular Spider-Man, which really comes to stand head-and-shoulders above the litany of other Spider-Man cartoons within about the first 6-7 episodes. I find it really refreshing that they spend so much time focusing on his romances too, a real staple of the old Lee/Ditko comics but something that cartoons usually treat superficially.

Also, not by Weisman but similarly a really great tribute to old skool comics was the Avengers series: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. They adapt the first 100-ish issues of Avengers comics into a kind of modernized version, but still very loyal in both character design and spirit to that old Lee/Kirby stuff!

This is all some shockingly good writing for kids cartoons that doesn't write down to kids, but instead brings in depth and mature issues and multi-layered plotting in Pixar-ish ways: i.e.- suitable for kids but with levels adults can appreciate. I'm currently checking out the Netflix reboot series of Voltron and Transformers: Cybertron too, and they're genuinely stronger than the original classics!

Back
Top Bottom