• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Top Ten TV Shows

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Prime version looks identical to the poor 16:9 treatment of the DVDs to me.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...they are not exactly cops, spies or p.i.s... they are adventurers, crime fighters and action heroes...

My Top Ten FAVE ADVENTURE Shows:

10.  KNIGHT RIDER (1982-86)  Enter the shadowy world on a lone crusader and his talking super car!  It became a pop culture classic and Hollywood has repeatedly attempted to revive the concept, but has never been able to recapture the lightning in the bottle.

09.  MACGVYER (1985-92)  A hero who used his imagination and ingenuity rather than a gun.  A show so impactful, that to "MacGyver" something has become part of the modern lexicon lol.  There was later a "Young MacGyver" pilot starring future Winchester brother Jared Padalecki and currently there is a horrible soulless remake series on CBS.

08.  THE A-TEAM (1983-87)  Thousands of fired bullets, hundreds of explosions, and I think only 2 people ever died during it's five season run.  A crazy fun action comedy for 3 seasons, then a horrible fourth season caused the ratings juggernaut to crash, and not even an edgier retooled fifth season could save it.  Still one my fave opening credits/themes.  And the 2010 theatrical version was a great ride that wonderfully captured the spirit of the tv show.

07.  KUNG FU: THE LEGEND CONTINUES (1993-97)  Another show I love more than it deserves, but dang it, Carradine as the grandson of Kwai Chang Caine is absolutely magnetic!  It is a show that got better with each season, the relationship between Cain and Peter became richer and the show mythology became more fantastical.  

06.  TALES OF THE GOLD MONKEY (1982)  1938 in the South Pacific, ex-flying Tiger Jake Cutter and his one eyed dog Jack get into all sorts of adventure from battling Nazis, finding lost tribes or encountering giant man killing monkeys!  Created by Donald P. Bellisario, this was a grand tribute to 1930/40s cinematic escapism.  The series was successful, but rather than succumb to Network ordered changes, Belisario chose to allow the show be cancelled.   The series got a loving dvd release from Shout Factory.

05.  THE EQUALIZER (1985-89)  Odds against you?  Then call on Callan...oops, I mean Robert McCall.  A show that tapped into New York City's gritty dark period of rampant crime and violence, perfectly captured in the shows opening credits with an electric score by Stewart Copeland.  Forget the movies, this is the real Equalizer!!!

04.  PERSON OF INTEREST (2011-16)  An intelligent crime fighting show with a clever science fiction twist that made the viewer ask questions and ponder how much in one's life is truly in their control.   An underrated gem with a near perfect series final episode.

03.  AIRWOLF (1984-87)  Cold, ruthless loner Stringfellow Hawke, along with his only friend Dominic Santini, fly the the most powerful, deadliest aircraft in the world--a mach 1 plus supercopter!  No CGI here folks, just some truly amazing aerial stunt work.  It was the most expensive on the series on the air at the time.  Seasons one and two are damn fine good tv.  Season 3, network interference led to the show being toned down.  The show was cancelled and then brought back for a fourth season on the USA network with no budget and a new forgettable cast.   But for a brief shining moment, Airwolf was the most badass show on tv!!!

02.  THE LAST SHIP (2014-18)  A post apocalyptic adventure series built on foundation of Hope and Heroism.  Each season the adventure got bigger while the budget got smaller.  It is a series with plot holes that you happily forgive because the cast of characters and the action is just so darn good.  In my opinion, one of the best network adventure shows in the last 20 years.

01.  STINGRAY (1985-87)  A mysterious adventurer known only as Ray, who drives the greatest car ever -- a black 1965 Stringray covervette -- who will help anyone who asks for the price of a future, no questions asked, favour.  I LOVE this show!!!  A mystery man who is an expert hacker, martial artist, master of disguise.... tropes that are standard fare these days, but was very fresh and new when this series premiered.  On top of all that, it's MTV editing style and soundtrack, truly made this something unique.  A brilliant series that never found an audience it deserved.
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FNEvOIeAjY[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...war! What is it good for?  Nothing -- except really epic tv....

My Top Ten FAVE WAR Shows:

10.  HOGAN'S HEROES (1965-71)  A sitcom about Allied operatives in a Nazi prison camp, who each week undertook new zany missions to keep the Nazi War Machine from winning war.  Somehow this crazy concept wonderfully worked, balancing kooky humour and silly espionage, while never losing respect for the weight of war.

09.  THE RAT PATROL (1966-68)  Four allied soldiers with a jeep and a big ass machine gun kept the entire Rommel African Desert forces at bay for two action filled seasons.  Formulaic but intense adventure with some great editing and soundtrack.

08.  SHARPE (1993-2008)  He will forever be famous for playing Ned Stark, but to me, Sean Bean will always be first and foremost RICHARD SHARPE, a brave British soldier fighting in the Napoleonic Wars.  16 stories have thus far been made and I keep hoping for more!!!

07.  BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP aka BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON (1976-78) From super producers Stephen J Cannell and Donald P Bellesario, a rousing World War II aerial adventure series inspired by real events.  While it was popcorn entertainment, it was delivered by a solid ensemble cast, all of who would go on to become network tv staples in dozens of other shows for decades to come, making it a memorable weekly romp.

06.  SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND (1995)  World War II in space.  It was dark, bleak and somber.  It explored patriotism versus the reality of war; heroism and the nature of man... it was a show ahead of its time.  It took a while to find its footing and then was cancelled far too soon.  An often overlooked diamond in the rough.

5.  TOUR OF DUTY (1987-90)  Follow Bravo Company, 2nd Platoon, for three hellish tours in Vietnam.  Each season the Network forced changes on the show, but the producers continued to create a series  that did not shy away from controversial topics or tone down the shattering impact of war on soldiers and their families.  Lee Majors joined the show in season three and gave the best dramatic performance of his career.  And a rarity, the show had an actual finale that both broke your heart and filled you with pride.

4.  MASH  (1972-83) An eleven season show about a three year war.  It was break through television and deserves all the accolades and awards it received.   I personally prefer the earlier Colonel Blake years, but the show never ceased to be introspective and funny.  It had the largest viewing audience in television history for its finale.  It spawned two spin-offs, Trapper John MD and AfterMASH, along with a pilot about Radar, that can be found on Youtube.

3.  THE WINDS OF WAR/WAR AND REMEMBRANCE (1983, 1988)  This is why television exists.  To tell sweeping epic stories that a movie could never encapsulate.  Based on Herman Wouk's massive novels, the two mini-series cover the vast scope of the Second World War from the perspective of the Henry family.  I still remember how the concentration camp scenes left me disturbed for weeks afterward.   A powerful series that deserves more recognition.

2.  BAND OF BROTHERS  (2001)  There are not enough words to praise this HBO masterpiece, so I will not even bother.  Just watch it.  And then later, watch the follow-up, THE PACIFIC.

1.  NORTH AND SOUTH, BOOKS I & II (1985, 1986)  The perfect blend of sexy soapy southern bodice ripper and American Civil War historical events.  An incredible cast of Hollywood Golden Age Legends and young and upcoming superstars translated John Jakes sweeping epic onto the small screen with a magnetic, all encompassing passion that is inescapeble.   Truly deserving of it's moniker, the Gone With The Wind of network television.  My bride and I rewatch this about every two years, and it has never lost is appeal.   ABC later made Book III, it is was horrible and unwatchable.  Just pretend it never happened.

Just listen to this scoring..... 
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jS-95kOd0[/video]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I remember 'Space: Above and Beyond' fondly but have not seen it since it aired. 'Sharpe' would be my number 1, from that list. Oh that opening theme on the Electric Guitar but even better John Tams closing song (gets me misty eyed every time):

I reckon Sean Bean dying in everything afterwards was to balance out him being such an unkillable heroic b*stard in Sharpe.

They tried to recapture the same magic with the similarly Napoleonic 'Hornblower' TV movies. It wasn't anywhere near as good but still well worth a watch.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Question! On Amazon Prime, only the show of Babylon 5 is available without paying extra, and the pilot movie 8s not included. How important is it that I watch the Gathering first? Could I jump straight into the series, or should I give in and pay extra for the pilot?

EDIT
Upon further inspection, The Gathering is not included even under the movies, and the movies themselves say unavailable and aren't even able to be purchased on here. So now the question changes, should I try to track down the pilot through other means and possibly wait for it to be shipped if unavailable to be purchased digitally elsewhere, or should I just jump into the series?

EDIT AGAIN:
This whole post is now unneeded. APPARENTLY The Gathering is listed as a bonus episode at the end of Season 1.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
05.  ROBOTECH -- Discovered this one in high school, just when I thought I was "too cool" for cartoons... never seen anything quite like it before.... from it's unique animation style, adult themed drama and violence... it was quite an eye opener.  Though to be honest, I only enjoyed the Macross portion of this three generation saga.

I just finished watching the Macross Saga today, and I loved it. I'm going to miss these characters. I think this is the first show I've seen that BionicBob has talked about.
I'll start watching the Masters Saga tommorow.
At least I'll get to see this cast again later in when I get to the movies, novels, and comics.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I'll be honest, I never watched much Batman TAS. I've never had an interest in watching it. I'm interested in possibly going back and watching Superman, Batman Beyond, and Justice League, but something about Batman doesn't entice me as much as it should. This is coming from a Batman fan (at least I think I'm one of those?). I do like The Batman though, and it has possibly my favorite Joker design.

[filtered through my brain and translated to] "I have no interest in watching the best animated show of all time.  I'd much rather watch all of its inferior sequels!"  :p

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
jrWHAG42 said:
Check out the episode Heart of Ice, even if you see nothing else. Or watch the movie Mask of the Phantasm, it's not much more than an hour. Both will give you an idea of the show at its best and what people remember. 

But that entire universe almost made my list, it just would have been more than half the list
DC good:
  1. Batman The Animated Series
  2. Batman: Mask off the Phantasm (theatrical film)
  3. Batman: Sub-Zero (tv movie)
  4. Superman The Animated Series
  5. The New Batman Adventures
  6. Batman Beyond
  7. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (tv movie)
  8. Justice League
  9. Justice League Unlimited

Some other shows fit into the continuity and could potentially be number ten, like Static Shock and the Batman Beyond spin-off Project Zeta, but I never paid much attention to those, they were geared toward a younger audience. Teen Titans came out close after and some think it is part of the continuity but I never watched that either, again it was geared more toward a younger audience.

Addiesin, have you seen Young Justice?  It's only 2 (very different) seasons, but your list of 9 here is almost exactly the same order I would have, except I'd put Young Justice up there with Batman Beyond.  I was surprised at how good it became.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
Addiesin, have you seen Young Justice?  It's only 2 (very different) seasons, but your list of 9 here is almost exactly the same order I would have, except I'd put Young Justice up there with Batman Beyond.  I was surprised at how good it became.

Oh yeah, definitely. Different continuity from the DCAU/Timmverse, but very high quality. It's one of those gems like Firefly, a hit with the fans, but the company in charge didn't know what to do with it, and killed before it had its time to really shine. Apparently the DC streaming service resurrected it and produced a third season recently, but I don't have the service so I haven't seen any of their exclusives, so I don't know if the new season is any good. Probably my favorite depiction of Superboy and honestly most of the (former) DC sidekicks.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Book'em Danno, it time for my 

Top Ten Fave COPS shows....

10. STARSKY & HUTCH (1975-79)  This might be the best cop buddy show of all time imo.  And before you dismiss it as fluff 70s television, then you have to watch the episode, "The Fix" and see if your opinion changes.

09.  LAW & ORDER (1990-2010)  Ripped from the headlines mysteries.  It was gripping television, and it opened the floodgates to the return of procedural cop dramas and franchise spin-offs.....

08.  HAWAII FIVE-O (1968-1980)  Gritty, ruthless, cinematic... the original Five-O was intense cop action.  No one could match Jack Lord's focus and drive to solve a crime or protect the innocent.  It lasted 12 years, and the first 10 are all solid quality, and what is shocking, how relevant most the plots have remained.

07. BOSCHE  (2014- present)  Modern L.A. noir.  Crime and politics, and an unrelenting cop with an unbreakable code.

06.  COLUMBO (1971 - 2003)  The epitome of popcorn mystery television.  The 1970s tv movies are a must watch.  The later movies over the decades are a mixed bag, but through it all it is Peter Falk's masterful performance that keeps you glued.

05.  PRIME SUSPECT (1991 - 2006)  Helen Mirren.  Honestly, what more do you need to know.  It's Helen Mirren, watch it!  But don't watch the Americanized version... gawdawful.  This is a prequel series but I have yet to check it out.

04. WISEGUY (1987-90)  Stephen J. Cannell's best best creation imo, this show broke new ground with it's arc structure and Ken Wahl brought a magnetic strength and vulnerability to his role as undercover operative Vinnie Terranova.

03.  JUSTIFIED  (2010-15)  Amazing dialogue, incredible action sequences, rewarding arcs and a captivating dynamic between Raylan and Boyd... delicious television!

02.  HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET (1993-99)  NYPD Blue got all the buzz, but this was the better show.  It paved the way for The Wire and The Shield. 

01.  CRIME STORY (1986-88)  Michael Mann's Miami Vice may get all love, but Crime Story was Mann's master tv opus.  Season one is near perfect.  Season two, not so much... too much network interference.   But never mind, season one is brilliant television and all you will ever need.  Mann would go on and re-explore the show's concepts and themes in his crime thriller HEAT, going so far as lifting an entire scene from CS and putting it in the movie.
:D

Woooaaah... hard for me to believe The Shield doesn't make this list, much less sit at #1...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
bionicbob said:

02.  HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET (1993-99)  NYPD Blue got all the buzz, but this was the better show.  It paved the way for The Wire and The Shield. 

Woooaaah... hard for me to believe The Shield doesn't make this list, much less sit at #1...

It's a personal favourite list, not a BEST Of list.  :)
But as I said, Homicide Life On The Street paved the way for shows like The Shield.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do Stranger Things and The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance count? If so I'd need to adjust the below list. Also, I haven't yet watched the Tin-Tin series I bought for the young'ns. I'm sure it will enter the list after I do.

Based on my childhood and youth (I don't watch TV shows anymore)

10. 3rd Rock From The Sun
Good comedic fun for the most part that plays on the oddities of this human experience.

9. That 70's Show
Great characters and chemistry. A little over the top at times.

8. Darkwing Duck
A Disney batmanish comedy using the ducktales presentation. What's not to like?

7. EXO-Squad
The best sci-fi cartoon ever. Intense storyline and AWESOME toys :)

6. X-Files
Just great odd story telling.

5. Gargoyles
Great production value and it's basically the cast of TNG.

4. Ducktales
Speaks for itself

3. Babylon 5
The shadow wars was an amazing story.

2. Batman: The Animated Series
Easily one of the best shows ever on tv. Top notch in everyway.

1. Star Trek: The Next Generation
The best show ever. Period. Picard and Data forever.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
mnkykungfu said:
bionicbob said:

It's a personal favourite list, not a BEST Of list.  :)
But as I said, Homicide Life On The Street paved the way for shows like The Shield.

Fair enough.  Yeah, The Shield is another piece of media that's probably not for everyone.  I think there's definitely a trajectory there in shows dealing with crime and morality but in ways that get less and less acceptable for network TV and harder and harder to watch.  

Homicide->The Wire->The Shield->Breaking Bad->?? what's next, The Boys maybe?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
My favorite Japanese animated series that I have watched the entirety of:
1. Clannad [romance/comedy/drama] 
2. Rurouni Kenshin [action] 
3. Fullmetal Alchemist (original) [action/adventure] 
4. Death Note [drama?] 
5. Soul Eater [action/comedy] 
6. Baka and Test [comedy] 
7. Infini T Force [action] 
8. Black Butler [drama? action? a hint of horror?] 
9. Casshan (1973) [action] 
10. Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto! [comedy]

I have watched more anime since then. Entries 3, 5, 6, and 8 I don't remember super well, it's been years.
Rather than try to fit other series into the list, I shall make a separate list that runs parallel, specifically ranking the recent anime I've watched.

1. .hack//SIGN
2. My Hero Academia
3. K-On!
4. D Frag
5. Fruits Basket (2019)
6. No Game No Life
7. Amagi Brilliant Park
8. Cells at Work

Oh, that's it. The rankings may not be a completely accurate order, just based on my vague quick reflections.

And bonus, Robotech: an American bastardization of three different anime series. I'm currently obsessed with it.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad's Top 10 Shows

10. Friday Night Dinner
9. Drake And Josh
8. The Big Bang Theory
7. Gavin And Stacey
6. The Good Place
5. Parks and Recreation
4. Brooklyn Nine - Nine
3. The Walking Dead
2. Friends
1. Breaking Bad

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Some eclectic tastes!  TWD at #3, eh?  Are you up to date on it?  I quit watching after season 6.  Decided later "well, it hasn't been canceled yet and some fans say it's gotten much better."  Quit again halfway into season 8.  The wildly inconsistent writing was just too frustrating for me, as I'm most drawn to a show by writing.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used to follow The Walking Dead weekly as it aired, but now I binge it and Fear the Walking Dead in half-season binges every 6 months while I wander in and out of the room doing laundry and ironing.

EDIT: I do laundry more than once every six months.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
bionicbob said:

10. STARSKY & HUTCH (1975-79)  This might be the best cop buddy show of all time imo.  And before you dismiss it as fluff 70s television, then you have to watch the episode, "The Fix" and see if your opinion changes.

09.  LAW & ORDER (1990-2010)  Ripped from the headlines mysteries.  It was gripping television, and it opened the floodgates to the return of procedural cop dramas and franchise spin-offs.....

08.  HAWAII FIVE-O (1968-1980)  Gritty, ruthless, cinematic... the original Five-O was intense cop action.  No one could match Jack Lord's focus and drive to solve a crime or protect the innocent.  It lasted 12 years, and the first 10 are all solid quality, and what is shocking, how relevant most the plots have remained.

07. BOSCHE  (2014- present)  Modern L.A. noir.  Crime and politics, and an unrelenting cop with an unbreakable code.

06.  COLUMBO (1971 - 2003)  The epitome of popcorn mystery television.  The 1970s tv movies are a must watch.  The later movies over the decades are a mixed bag, but through it all it is Peter Falk's masterful performance that keeps you glued.

05.  PRIME SUSPECT (1991 - 2006)  Helen Mirren.  Honestly, what more do you need to know.  It's Helen Mirren, watch it!  But don't watch the Americanized version... gawdawful.  This is a prequel series but I have yet to check it out.

04. WISEGUY (1987-90)  Stephen J. Cannell's best best creation imo, this show broke new ground with it's arc structure and Ken Wahl brought a magnetic strength and vulnerability to his role as undercover operative Vinnie Terranova.

03.  JUSTIFIED  (2010-15)  Amazing dialogue, incredible action sequences, rewarding arcs and a captivating dynamic between Raylan and Boyd... delicious television!

01.  CRIME STORY (1986-88)  Michael Mann's Miami Vice may get all love, but Crime Story was Mann's master tv opus.  Season one is near perfect.  Season two, not so much... too much network interference.   But never mind, season one is brilliant television and all you will ever need.  Mann would go on and re-explore the show's concepts and themes in his crime thriller HEAT, going so far as lifting an entire scene from CS and putting it in the movie.

Right? Or The Wire? Or Cold Case? Or any of a plethora of European releases?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
mnkykungfu said:
bionicbob said:

Right? Or The Wire? Or Cold Case? Or any of a plethora of European releases?

AGAIN... these are PERSONAL favourites, NOT A CRITICS BEST LIST. :p

But as I also said... The Shield, The Wire, Cold Case, etc.... none of these shows probably would not exist if these other shows had not paved the way first.

If you don't like my list, please write your own and share.  We all have different tastes and preferences.  Plus, we are all different age demographics, thus have been exposed to more or less than some others.
;)

Top Bottom