• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Top Ten TV Shows

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bob's lists here are very fun and insightful to read.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
Had to give you a like just for liking Hong Kong Phooey. Wow! Been a minute since I saw that. You didn't mention Inspector Gadget or Wheelie and The Chopper Bunch on either list. And what about Grape Ape, Huckleberry Hound, and Speed Buggy? And didn't you just love that little chicken hawk in Looney Toons? Or Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Sylvester and Tweety or Foghorn and Leghorn?

Well, it is a Top TEN list, not top Twenty or Thirty or Hundred... LOL! :p 

But anything and everything from HANNA-BARBERA is a fundamental part of my childhood.

As for Inspector Gadget, a bit after my time but the little I did see, never really clicked with me.  By that age, I was more into GI JOE lol
But I must admit, I have a deep fondness for the 90s Disney animation explosion like Ducktales and Talespin,

As for Looney Toons, look again, my number one fave was and is THE BUGS BUNNY ROAD RUNNER HOUR. :D 
Also loved...LOVED... the 90s Warner Bros cartoon renaissance.... Tiny Toons, Animanicas, Duck Dodgers, Pinky and the Brain, etc

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
Foghorn and Leghorn?

tenor.gif

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...put on your fedora and grab your magnifying glass...

My Top Ten Fave PRIVATE EYE TV shows:

10.  CHARLIE'S ANGELS  (1976-1981) Easy to dismiss as beautiful popcorn mystery fun, but even in 76 an hour long series commanded by three strong intelligent women was sadly more of a rarity than the should be norm.  The show would go on to become a pop culture phenonmeon.

09.  HART TO HART (1979-84)  Millionaire married couple solve crimes just for the fun of it.  Silly popcorn fun that I like more than I should because it reminds me of the Thin Man movies that I love so much.

08.  SHERLOCK HOLMES (1984-94)  Jeremy Brett gave the definitive performance as the world's first consulting detective.  Forget Cumberbatch, this is the real deal.

07.  PHILIP MARLOWE, PRIVATE EYE (1983-86)   This early HBO series, now seemingly forgotten by most, was a fantastic adaptation of the works of Raymond Chandler.  Powers Boothe was born to play this role.

06.  SIMON & SIMON  (1981-89)  Two polar opposite brothers solve crimes together, sometimes with the help of their mom.  Great buddy chemisty keeps you tuning it.   Gerald McRaney was been a constant tv staple ever since.  There was reunion tv movie in the 90s.

05.  VERONICA MARS (2004-07)  Take the Scooby Gang concept from Buffy but make it about a high schooler solving mysteries with the appropriate amount of teen soap and angst... Obviously it worked, as there was crowd funded movie sequel and a continuation series now in the works.

04.  THE ROCKFORD FILES (1974-80)  The ever likeable everyman James Gardner shines as a gumshoe who gets the crap beat out of him on a regular basis, and is not always the smartest man in the room, but whose dogged determination sees him through to the end of the case.  Great television.  There would be a series of reunion movies on CBS in the 90s.

03.  REMINGTON STEELE (1982-87)  Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimbalist onscreen chemstry was electric, off screen they apparently hated each other.  Regardless, this grew into a smart fun mystery comedy with Brosnan channelling his inner Cary Grant, making this feel like a throw back show to the time of Hitchcock.

02.  SPENSER FOR HIRE  (1985-88)  A poetry spouting, philisophical tough as nails private cop for hire.  Based on the books by Robert B. Parker, this was easily the best role of Robert Urich's rich tv career.  Future Starfleet Captain Avery Brooks steals every scene as Spenser's frenemy, the mysterious Hawk.  There would later be four tv movie sequels, and then later A&E attempted a reboot which failed miserably.

01.  MAGNUM P.I.  (1980-88)  The first real tv series to feature Vietnam Vets in a positve light, while exploring the impact of war on the survivors and the brotherhood it creates.   The show did it all.... drama, action, comedy, heart break... while never forsaking character or story.  Eight seasons and it never jumped the shark.  

hhhmmmmm.... most of these shows seem to be from the 80s.   Much like the tv western, the tv Private Eye has seemingly become a rare breed, with Networks preferring the "eccentric/genius partnered with reluctant cop"  formula for the past 15-20 years....

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
No Moonlighting?

It was a tough call.  Yes it made Bruce Willis a star.  Yes it had some amazing and zany dialogue.  But I found it to be such an uneven and irratic series.  I tried to rewatch it a few years ago, but could not stick with it.  It was show that was at times too high concept for its own good, often exceeding it own grasp.

But yes, an important PI series.  I would put it at number 11.  As all the other shows I would argue were more consistent in weekly quaility and rewatchable entertainment value.  ;)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
No Moonlighting?

It was a tough call.  Yes it made Bruce Willis a star.  Yes it had some amazing and zany dialogue.  But I found it to be such an uneven and irratic series.  I tried to rewatch it a few years ago, but could not stick with it.  It was show that was at times too high concept for its own good, often exceeding it own grasp.

But yes, an important PI series.  I would put it at number 11.  As all the other shows I would argue were more consistent in weekly quaility and rewatchable entertainment value.  ;)
On your list I only watched Magnum, Remington Steele (and not religiously), and Charlei’s Angels. I watched them at original air and can’t imagine liking any of them now. It would be interesting to see the genre tackled in the modern prestige TV way.

Edit: just remembered True Detective. I’ve never seen it though. Is it a private eye show or are they police detectives?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Edit: just remembered True Detective. I’ve never seen it though. Is it a private eye show or are they police detectives?

Police detective show.

While I enjoyed season one, I thought it was overated.
Did not like season two.  So much so, I have no interest in season 3.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Police detective show.

I almost completely agree. I loved season one. Watched it several times. I barely made it through season two. What were they thinking? Season three is closer to season one on scope and is promising. You are missing out dude.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Police detective show.

This season has been fantastic, much more inline with Season 1.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well then, I guess I will have to check it out now.
PVR activate!  :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Book'em Danno, it time for my 

Top Ten Fave COPS shows....

I forgot this honorable mention....

THE JESSE STONE MYSTERIES (2006-present) starring Tom Selleck.
Not technically a tv series, but rather a series of tv movies.  Absolutlely LOVE THEM!
Thus far there has been 9 movies.  Based on the Robert B. Parker novels.
You watch these more for the characters and stylish dialogue, the actually mystery is almost an afterthought.

...and somehow I forgot the about the cop series....

HUNTER (1984-90)  This is a classic example that it is not just about the stars, but about the talent behind the camera, more specifically, the showrunner.  Season one was a forgettable action Dirty Harry rip off.  Season two enter new showrunner and vetern tv producer Roy Huggins, the show became a must watch for gritty, urban, violent action mysteries for the next 6 seasons.  In the final season, Stephanie Kramer had departed and the show underwent a retooling, turning it into a bland procedural.  Cancelled shortly after, but NBC attempted to resurrect the show multiple times as tv movies and a continuation series, but they could never recapture the lightning in the bottle again.  But for it original run, seasons 2 thru 6, it was one of the best cop action shows ever.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
..I see by the self destructing tape that it is spy time...

My Top Ten Fave SPY TV Shows:

10.  24 (2001-2014)  A show's whose very premise is both its strength and weakness.  Yo-yo seasons of varying quality, that push your suspension of disbelief into the ridiculous zone.  None the less, the force of nature intensity of Jack Baur keeps you coming back.

09.  SCARECROW AND MRS. KING (1983-87)  Secret agent Tron team ups with an Angel homemaker to protect America, it was a fun match made in heaven.

08.  GET SMART (1965-70)  Would you believe....hilarious? lol  Created by comedic genius Mel Brooks, it is one of the great spoof comedies of all time.  It spawned a theatrical movie, a tv movie reunion and a continuation series.  Plus the remake with Steve Carrell, which was pretty darn funny too.

07.  LA FEMME NIKITA (1997-2001)  A low budget but exceptional spy drama, inspired by the Luc Besson film.  A good woman drafted into a violent, amoral spy agency -- in many ways the progenitor to Alias.  When the series was cancelled, a write in campaign by fans conviniced the USA Network for a final abrievated season to resolve its plotlines.  

06.  JAKE 2.0 (2003) A short lived cool spy series that was heavily influenced by The Six Million Dollar Man, and bears some remarkable similarites to the later series Chuck; it was great escapist fun.  Lee Majors even guest starred.   Frustratingly, the long promised dvd release has yet to happen.

05.  THE BIONIC WOMAN (1976-78)  The Bionic Bride gets her own spin-off series!  Season one and two are wonderful, but then Kenny Johnson was fired, Harve Bennett stepped back from daily duties, the show was moved to another network so no more Bionic Man crossovers and everything fell apart in season three.  Well, almost.  Season three did introduce Max, the bionic dog!!! WOOF!

04.  ALIAS (2001-06)  JJ Abrams introduces the world to Red Matter and made Jennifer Gardner a star.  The first three seasons were fantastic, the last two not so much.  But it did have a solid series finale.

03. CHUCK (2007-12)  A wonderful fun and funny action adventure series, a geek Chuck inadvertantly becomes a super agent.  Lots of great guest stars and entertaining season arcs.

02.  THE AVENGERS (1961-77)  Steed and Mrs. Peel, the ultimate dynamatic spy duo.  While the show existed before Mrs. Peel and went on after her departure, it is this perfect period of flirtatous, smart and surreal twists, that made this show a timeless classic.   It would spawn a 70s tv  sequel The New Avengers and a studio butchered theatrical version that is worth watching solely for Uma Thurman. :)

01. MISSION:  IMPOSSIBLE  (1966-73)  Before Ethan Hunt was jumping on to buildings, planes and trains, the original IM Force was conducting brillaint conman chess moves to defeat their foes.   This is the greatest spy series period.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, Jake 2.0....deep cut.

(Never seen it but I vaguely recognized the name)

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
..I see by the self destructing tape that it is spy time...

My Top Ten Fave SPY TV Shows:

10.  24 (2001-2014)  A show's whose very premise is both its strength and weakness.  Yo-yo seasons of varying quality, that push your suspension of disbelief into the ridiculous zone.  None the less, the force of nature intensity of Jack Baur keeps you coming back.

09.  SCARECROW AND MRS. KING (1983-87)  Secret agent Tron team ups with an Angel homemaker to protect America, it was a fun match made in heaven.

08.  GET SMART (1965-70)  Would you believe....hilarious? lol  Created by comedic genius Mel Brooks, it is one of the great spoof comedies of all time.  It spawned a theatrical movie, a tv movie reunion and a continuation series.  Plus the remake with Steve Carrell, which was pretty darn funny too.

07.  LA FEMME NIKITA (1997-2001)  A low budget but exceptional spy drama, inspired by the Luc Besson film.  A good woman drafted into a violent, amoral spy agency -- in many ways the progenitor to Alias.  When the series was cancelled, a write in campaign by fans conviniced the USA Network for a final abrievated season to resolve its plotlines.  

06.  JAKE 2.0 (2003) A short lived cool spy series that was heavily influenced by The Six Million Dollar Man, and bears some remarkable similarites to the later series Chuck; it was great escapist fun.  Lee Majors even guest starred.   Frustratingly, the long promised dvd release has yet to happen.

05.  THE BIONIC WOMAN (1976-78)  The Bionic Bride gets her own spin-off series!  Season one and two are wonderful, but then Kenny Johnson was fired, Harve Bennett stepped back from daily duties, the show was moved to another network so no more Bionic Man crossovers and everything fell apart in season three.  Well, almost.  Season three did introduce Max, the bionic dog!!! WOOF!

04.  ALIAS (2001-06)  JJ Abrams introduces the world to Red Matter and made Jennifer Gardner a star.  The first three seasons were fantastic, the last two not so much.  But it did have a solid series finale.

03. CHUCK (2007-12)  A wonderful fun and funny action adventure series, a geek Chuck inadvertantly becomes a super agent.  Lots of great guest stars and entertaining season arcs.

02.  THE AVENGERS (1961-77)  Steed and Mrs. Peel, the ultimate dynamatic spy duo.  While the show existed before Mrs. Peel and went on after her departure, it is this perfect period of flirtatous, smart and surreal twists, that made this show a timeless classic.   It would spawn a 70s tv  sequel The New Avengers and a studio butchered theatrical version that is worth watching solely for Uma Thurman. :)

01. MISSION:  IMPOSSIBLE  (1966-73)  Before Ethan Hunt was jumping on to buildings, planes and trains, the original IM Force was conducting brillaint conman chess moves to defeat their foes.   This is the greatest spy series period.

At least I agree with Mission Impossible being at the top of your list and The Avengers being second. I may have reversed them. One has gotta have an ....err...for Ms. Emma Peel. She was hot before it was hot to be hot. Straight up yummy!

I would have included I SPY, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Blacklist, The Americans, Blindspot and Person of Interest. And left off a few that you chose.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I haven’t watched many spy shows.  The Americans would lead my list. The rest, in no particular order would be 24, MI, Alias, Homeland, and Archer  :p.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I guess I haven’t watched many spy shows.  The Americans would lead my list. The rest, in no particular order would be 24, MI, Alias, Homeland, and Archer  :p.

Do yourself a favor and check out The Blacklist and Person of Interest. Scorpion was good for the first couple of seasons.

You will thank me.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I absolutely agree, THE AMERICANS is excellent.  Definitely on my modern must watch list.
Also, KILLING EVE is equally excellent.

HOMELAND is one of those shows that has been on my list to see but never seem to get to...

I,SPY is certainly an important series in tv history, but the show itself never really kept me glued... maybe I was too young to appreciate it.
While I know MAN FROM UNCLE was a huge hit show in its time... many episodes re-edited into theatrical releases to cash in on its tv success... it is a show I just did not like....shrug....  :blush:

Love PERSON OF INTEREST.... it will be appearing on a different top 10 list.... ;)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bailed from Homeland pretty quickly. The first (and maybe second?) season(s) were great but it fell off pretty quickly.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I bailed from Homeland pretty quickly. The first (and maybe second?) season(s) were great but it fell off pretty quickly.

Concur. I barely even remember seasons 4 and 5, never bothered to watch it past that. But seasons 1 and 2 are dope.

Top Bottom