• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Top Ten TV Shows

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
True.

Though sometimes you don't realize how bad a show has gotten until it is too late LOL.
Or you keep watching out of loyalty, hoping it will improve.... and it doesn't.... :p

...some things you just can not unsee....
Or sometimes you watch a show and the decline in quality is so fast and so drastic that you figure it must be a fluke, and commit to watching all of it as the quality just drops exponentially. And you never realize that no, the few good parts at the beginning were the flukes and awful is the baseline.

NBC's Heroes. Never forget. Never again.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The TV Western.... it is American mythology, the rough and tumble pioneer spirit battling for independence, justice and the dream of a better future.  Love them!  In the 1959 television season, there were over 30 Western tv series spread over the 3 US Networks!  I suppose it was only a matter of time the genre imploded from over saturation.  Now Westerns are a rarity.  But let's now return to those simpler days of yesteryear......

MY TOP TEN FAVE WESTERNS:
10. THE LONE RANGER (1949-1957) simplistic and straight forward, good versus bad, heroism and justice... corny and dated to some, but I think the world could use more of it.

09.  THE WILD, WILD WEST (1965-1968) The 60s spy craze comes to the Old West, it a show that borders on steampunk and sci-fi.  A fun romp.  There were two sequel tv movies and an atrocious big screen movie that is only worth watching for Salma Hayek. ;)

08.  THE BIG VALLEY  (1965-69) Screen legend Barbara Stanwyck as the family matriarch in this much edgier Bonanza style show.  Plus, future bionic man Lee Majors as the bastard son Heath!!

07.  THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1998-2000)  A great cast and reimagining.  A series with so much potential but was cancelled too soon.

06.  ZORRO (1957-1961) Walt Disney brought cinematic production values and serialized storytelling to this fantastic series.  Ahead of its time and still a joy to watch.

05.  LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE (1974-1983)  Grew up with this show.  Own the entire series on dvd.  Introduced my daughter to this show at age 5, she loves it.  Maybe she will introduce her family to it one day.  Timeless.  Perfect.

04.  DEADWOOD (2004-2006)  An amazing short lived HBO series that is currently filming a sequel!

03. MAVERICK (1957-1962)  James Gardner, a movie star who did tv.  Always likeable and endearing.  He could play the scoundrel like no one else.  The series spawned a couple of sequel series and an excellent big screen version with Mel Gibson.

02.  GUNSMOKE (1955-1975)  There is a reason this was the longest running tv western, it was simply excellent.  It was told stories most other tv shows viewed as taboo.  It could be ruthless at times.  It was always earnest.  And Justice was always paramount.  It later spawned a few reunion tv movies.

01.  KUNG FU (1972-75) this show challenged every Western trope and cliche.  It was philosophical, it was trippy, it was COOL!!!  Carradine rocks the role of Caine, an on the run Shaolin monk searching the West for his half brother, and helping all those he encountered with compassion and powerful slo-mo martial arts.  The series spawned a reunion movie and a modern day sequel series.  It is da BEST! 

This list would incomplete if I did not mention the GREATEST TV WESTERN EVER produced, except it was not a regular series, but an epic Mini-Series....

LONESOME DOVE (1989)  an adaption of the amazing novel by Larry McMurty, it starred Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall.  It is television at its finest.  It spawned multiple spin-off tv movies, some good, some bad, and a syndicated tv series.

Hi-yo Silver, away!!!! :D

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been thinking about my favourite TV shows recently, and I've decided to compose the list. It's been pretty hard to do so, since almost all shows go down-hill at some point, so I am only going to be counting the good seasons to make it easier:

1: The X-Files (seasons 1-8)
2: The Prisoner (1960's version)
3: Farscape
4: Blake's 7 (series 1-3)
5: Thunderbirds
6: Doctor Who (completely random periods)
7: The Sopranos 
8: Game Of Thrones (except season 5)
9: Firefly
10: American Gods

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
The TV Western.... it is American mythology, the rough and tumble pioneer spirit battling for independence, justice and the dream of a better future.  Love them!  In the 1959 television season, there were over 30 Western tv series spread over the 3 US Networks!  I suppose it was only a matter of time the genre imploded from over saturation.  Now Westerns are a rarity.  But let's now return to those simpler days of yesteryear......

MY TOP TEN FAVE WESTERNS:
10. THE LONE RANGER (1949-1957) simplistic and straight forward, good versus bad, heroism and justice... corny and dated to some, but I think the world could use more of it.

09.  THE WILD, WILD WEST (1965-1968) The 60s spy craze comes to the Old West, it a show that borders on steampunk and sci-fi.  A fun romp.  There were two sequel tv movies and an atrocious big screen movie that is only worth watching for Salma Hayek. ;)

08.  THE BIG VALLEY  (1965-69) Screen legend Barbara Stanwyck as the family matriarch in this much edgier Bonanza style show.  Plus, future bionic man Lee Majors as the bastard son Heath!!

07.  THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1998-2000)  A great cast and reimagining.  A series with so much potential but was cancelled too soon.

06.  ZORRO (1957-1961) Walt Disney brought cinematic production values and serialized storytelling to this fantastic series.  Ahead of its time and still a joy to watch.

05.  LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE (1974-1983)  Grew up with this show.  Own the entire series on dvd.  Introduced my daughter to this show at age 5, she loves it.  Maybe she will introduce her family to it one day.  Timeless.  Perfect.

04.  DEADWOOD (2004-2006)  An amazing short lived HBO series that is currently filming a sequel!

03. MAVERICK (1957-1962)  James Gardner, a movie star who did tv.  Always likeable and endearing.  He could play the scoundrel like no one else.  The series spawned a couple of sequel series and an excellent big screen version with Mel Gibson.

02.  GUNSMOKE (1955-1975)  There is a reason this was the longest running tv western, it was simply excellent.  It was told stories most other tv shows viewed as taboo.  It could be ruthless at times.  It was always earnest.  And Justice was always paramount.  It later spawned a few reunion tv movies.

01.  KUNG FU (1972-75) this show challenged every Western trope and cliche.  It was philosophical, it was trippy, it was COOL!!!  Carradine rocks the role of Caine, an on the run Shaolin monk searching the West for his half brother, and helping all those he encountered with compassion and powerful slo-mo martial arts.  The series spawned a reunion movie and a modern day sequel series.  It is da BEST! 

This list would incomplete if I did not mention the GREATEST TV WESTERN EVER produced, except it was not a regular series, but an epic Mini-Series....

LONESOME DOVE (1989)  an adaption of the amazing novel by Larry McMurty, it starred Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall.  It is television at its finest.  It spawned multiple spin-off tv movies, some good, some bad, and a syndicated tv series.

Hi-yo Silver, away!!!! :D

Wait, wait... where's Star Trek!?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, wait... for some reason I didn't catch that was a top ten westerns list... :shy:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Top Ten Fave SCI-FI Shows....
(clarification, my definition of Sci-Fi are shows that are in space/future and/or feature aliens or robots; sci-fi does NOT include shows that feature magic or supernatural, completely different category for me lol)

10.  THE X-FILES (1993-2001, 2016, 2018) Seasons 1-5, plus the first movie are amazeballs. Seasons 6 & 7, the show hits the shark ramp.  Season 8 and 9, the shark eats the show.  Season 10 and 11, the shark shits out the show onto the fans.  

09.  STARGATE ATLANTIS (2004-2009) Great cast, great action and a wonderful balance of drama and fun.  Damn you MGM for letting it end on a cliffhanger!

08.  STARGATE SG-1  (1997-2007) I literally watch this show everyday!!!  Seasons 1-8 epic goodness.  Season 9-10, still good but too villain centric.  If only MGM hadn't collapsed, we might still be watching Stargate to this very day, along with the planned big screen spin off movies.

07.  THE EXPANSE (2015 - present) Hard science fiction mixed with war and politics, aptly dubbed the Game of Thrones of sci-fi.  This show is incredible and anyone who is remotely a sci-fi fan needs to be watching this!!!

06.  TERMINATOR:  THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES (2008-09)  Better than all the movie sequels combined.  

05. BABYLON 5  (1994-1998)  Lord of the Rings done space pulp style, an amazing accomplishment.

04.  STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE (1993-1999)  Boldly taking Trek where it never went before.  Everything Discovery attempted to do in their season one, DS9 already did it and did it better.

03.  STAR TREK (1966-69)  Kirk. Spock. McCoy.  The Holy Trinity of Sci-Fi.

02.  BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (1978)  I have praised this show multiple times in other threads, sufficient to say, this is my Star Wars!  Still rewatch regularly, still holds up... a great cosmic space opera.

01.  THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN (1973-78) What did you think I would say?  My user name is BIONIC!!! lol.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your descriptions of The Expanse and Babylon 5 make me want to watch them.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Your descriptions of The Expanse and Babylon 5 make me want to watch them.

You definitely should.

B5 may feel a bit dated, particularly in the CGI department, and creator's JMS's pulp stylings and dialogue take a bit getting used to, plus it takes almost the first full season to get the story rolling... but once it does, look out!!!  Seasons 2, 3 and 4 spectacular.  Season 5 is still good, and the show has one of the best written series finales in television history.

THE EXPANSE is utterly incredible.  It is gorgeous in the FX department.  It is rich in characters, and has very intricate world building.  The first half of season one is a slow burn, but then the fuse ignites fully and it is a rocket racing to the stars!   In my opinion, it may be the best science fiction television series in the last 20 years.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've heard of B5 before, but I've never looked into it. I assumed it was just a 70s Star Trek ripoff, but obviously I am very wrong. I will most certainly look further into it.

I must add, I've never watched any kind of sci-fi television series.

The Expanse, I've never heard of. I suppose I should add, I've never watched a proper fantasy series either, so when you compare it to Game of Thrones, I am only familiar with what I've heard of it, not the series itself. That being said, I do get the gist of what you're saying.
I will definitely look into this further as well. 

Thank you again for your insight, I really appreciate it.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I must add, I've never watched any kind of sci-fi television series.

I'd point and laugh, but I've never gone to the movies, so ...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Magic swords!  Dragons! Demons!  And a Shakespeare quoting lion man! 
It must be time for...

My Top Ten Fave FANTASY TV Shows....

10.  GAME OF THRONES  (2011 to present) It's my bride's favourite show of all time, therefore it is my fave show lol.

09.  XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS (1995-2001)  It is hard to believe this show was a spin-off from the much campier Hercules,  while the story telling was still often tongue in cheek, this show was not afraid to go some very dark places and explore very serious cultural subject matter.  

08.  BEAUTY AND THE BEAST  (1987-90)  Before George RR Martin created Game of Thrones, he created the modern fairy tale romance of Vincent and Catherine and the lyrical, magical world that existed underneath the city streets of New York City.  Perhaps Ron Perlman's best role of his career, he should have won an Emmy for his performance.

07.  LEGEND OF THE SEEKER (2008-2010)  Loosely based on the Terry Goodkind fantasy book series The Sword of Truth, this is a wonderful magical adventure series that never got a chance in the dying syndication market.  Watch this series and tell me that Bridget Regan wouldn't have made the perfect Wonder Woman!

06.  HIGHLANDER  (1992-1997)  The first and last seasons are bad, but in between are four amazing seasons that pushed the boundaries of its strict action formula by posing questions about the nature of good and evil and exploring the greys of morality.

05.  STRANGER THINGS  (2016- present)  Steve Spielberg blended with Stephen King, with a dash of Lovecraft.  Don't be fooled by the use of "science" in this show, this is good old classic 80s supernatural horror.

04.  BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER  (1996-2003)  Growing up is Hell, literally in this show's case.  A game changer show that almost every tv show since has tried to emulate in terms of the Whedon Season Arc Playbook.

03.  PENNY DREADFUL (2014-2016)  Hammer Horror meets Universal Monsters.  A brilliant horror series that was cancelled far too soon.

02.  SUPERNATURAL (2005 - present)  Every time I think I am done with this show, it does something amazing to pull me back in.  I will never be able to listen to "Wayward Son" without thinking of the Winchester Brothers.

01. ANGEL (1999-2004)  A vampire with a soul seeking redemption.  That in it's self should be enough, but the final message that it is not about winning the war, it is about never giving up the fight, is a powerful one.

:D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Book'em Danno, it time for my 

Top Ten Fave COPS shows....

10. STARSKY & HUTCH (1975-79)  This might be the best cop buddy show of all time imo.  And before you dismiss it as fluff 70s television, then you have to watch the episode, "The Fix" and see if your opinion changes.

09.  LAW & ORDER (1990-2010)  Ripped from the headlines mysteries.  It was gripping television, and it opened the floodgates to the return of procedural cop dramas and franchise spin-offs.....

08.  HAWAII FIVE-O (1968-1980)  Gritty, ruthless, cinematic... the original Five-O was intense cop action.  No one could match Jack Lord's focus and drive to solve a crime or protect the innocent.  It lasted 12 years, and the first 10 are all solid quality, and what is shocking, how relevant most the plots have remained.

07. BOSCHE  (2014- present)  Modern L.A. noir.  Crime and politics, and an unrelenting cop with an unbreakable code.

06.  COLUMBO (1971 - 2003)  The epitome of popcorn mystery television.  The 1970s tv movies are a must watch.  The later movies over the decades are a mixed bag, but through it all it is Peter Falk's masterful performance that keeps you glued.

05.  PRIME SUSPECT (1991 - 2006)  Helen Mirren.  Honestly, what more do you need to know.  It's Helen Mirren, watch it!  But don't watch the Americanized version... gawdawful.  This is a prequel series but I have yet to check it out.

04. WISEGUY (1987-90)  Stephen J. Cannell's best best creation imo, this show broke new ground with it's arc structure and Ken Wahl brought a magnetic strength and vulnerability to his role as undercover operative Vinnie Terranova.

03.  JUSTIFIED  (2010-15)  Amazing dialogue, incredible action sequences, rewarding arcs and a captivating dynamic between Raylan and Boyd... delicious television!

02.  HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET (1993-99)  NYPD Blue got all the buzz, but this was the better show.  It paved the way for The Wire and The Shield. 

01.  CRIME STORY (1986-88)  Michael Mann's Miami Vice may get all love, but Crime Story was Mann's master tv opus.  Season one is near perfect.  Season two, not so much... too much network interference.   But never mind, season one is brilliant television and all you will ever need.  Mann would go on and re-explore the show's concepts and themes in his crime thriller HEAT, going so far as lifting an entire scene from CS and putting it in the movie.
:D

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Top 6 Ex-Favourite TV Shows (can't think up a full ten)

1. The Simpsons

Discounting Seasons 10+, it remains a great show and my top favourite of all time. Counting Seasons 10+, it's devolved into mean-spirited, vapid, zombified dreck.

2. Stargate SG-1

Absolutely loved it when I was in my tweens/teens, but grew out of it as I got older. I never did like the lack of continuity with the movie, I grew sick and tired of all the Ancients/Ascension/Ori stuff, and after watching Star Trek and Babylon 5, I came to view it as a 2nd rate knockoff of the pair. I can still derive enjoyment from Seasons 1-5, warts and all, but Seasons 6-10 do nothing for me.

3. That '70s Show

I still like the earlier seasons, but after Season 5, it started to meander and all the characters (except Red) became progressively unlikable. Once Donna went blond, I knew the show had lost its soul.

4. Mutant X

My teenage crush on Lauren Lee Smith probably made me like this show more than I would've otherwise. After she left, I stopped liking the show at all, and in hindsight, the seasons with her are just as bad.

5. Andromeda

Only a young, stupid kid can watch Seasons 3-5 of this show and not recognize it as absolute abomination.

6. Smallville

The Luthors + the Kents + Chloe = everything that's good about Smallville. Tom Welling is the worst Clark Kent I've ever seen, and the rest is pedestrian WB/CW Millennial soap opera crap.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Denizen said:
Anyway...I loved all of those shows. I guess I liked Three"s Company best. John Ritter as Jack Tripper is comic legend.

Love, love, LOVE Three's Company.  John Ritter was a physical comedic genius!

This thread caused me to consider how much I have missed John Ritter. Wasn't he fabulous in Sling Blade? And need I mention the glow in the dark scene from Skin Deep? Laughed so hard I cried the first couple of times I saw that. To this day, I have not heard an entire movie theatre erupt into hysterical laughter like that. Not even the hair gel scene from There's Something About Mary. Hilarious stuff that.

The late great Don Knotts said before he died that John Ritter was the greatest physical comedian who ever lived. I remembered you saying that in this thread so I was moved to consider what the two of you meant.

I put in season one of Three's Company and as soon as the opening credits ran and Jack fell off of his bicycle I remembered.

I have the entire series boxed set. I have been binge watching it ever since. I'm at the end of season two. They really don't make good sitcoms like this any more. 

My next project is to either find and buy the entire Happy Days catalogue or borrow my friends taped catalogue. VHS...yeah!!!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Top 6 Ex-Favourite TV Shows (can't think up a full ten)

I completely disagree with you about STARGATE, and I can totally feel your frustration with SMALLVILLE, but I still really enjoy it.

MUTANT X--- Victoria Pratt was my jam!  lol   But yeah, a terrible show after season one.

ANDROMEDA -- a guilty pleasure show to be sure.  It had so much potential, but as with all Tribune tv shows (Mutant X, Earth Final Conflict, Beastmaster) the suits kept sending notes and interfering (the original show runners were all fired from each series, and each new season would get a massive revamp), dumbing them down as much as possible until the audiences walked away in disgust.

Top Ex-favourites that immediately jump to mind...

THE WALKING DEAD... started out so strong, a show about trying to keep one's humanity in a fallen world... it became whose death can we tease and torture the audience with next?  Long, boring story arcs on a continuous rinse/repeat cycle.

HEROES.... a superhero show afraid to be a superhero show.... every season let's hit the magic reset button and move our character backwards instead of forwards.... 

NuBATTLESTAR GALACTICA... a great first two seasons.... season three the cracks in the story begin to appear.... and then season four.... I abhor every moment of season four.... the final five...wtf!  And the series finale makes no sense... abandon all technology and go off on foot with only backpacks into the wilderness... sounds like a death march to me!  And they arrive so far back in Earth's past, it has no impact on the birth of civilization.   The last episode renders the whole journey quest pointless.  It is essentially mass suicide imo.  Getting angry just writing this....  :mad: :p   Even creator Ronald Moore has gone on the record that there was 'No Plan" for the series and that the biggest regret he had was giving a definite number of cylon models in the pilot movie, as it painted them into a corner very quickly.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What would everyone recommend as the stopping point on The Walking Dead?  I enjoyed S1, that's all I've watched so far.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Series four mid season finale is my personal opinion, a lot of people rate season 5 buit I wasn't keen at all. I even thought about doing an edit to do an epilogue episode that could tie things up after S04E08.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
What would everyone recommend as the stopping point on The Walking Dead?  I enjoyed S1, that's all I've watched so far.

Season one is by the best.  After Frank Darabont left/fired, the show never had the same level of depth.

But I would agree with @"Sinbad" season 4 or 5....

Top Bottom