• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Top Ten Movies

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TinyBreadMouse said:
Nightmare on Elm Street Best-to-Worst:

1. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors (Thank you Dokken)
  2. Nightmare on Elm Street
  3. Freddy vs. Jason
  4. Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
  5. Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
  6. Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
  7. Nightmare on Elm Street (Remake)
  8. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
  2. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
  3. New Nightmare
  4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

It's been some time since I watched the post-Dream Warriors sequels, so I can't honestly rate them, but I hated each and every one of them and placed them all beneath Freddy's Revenge.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have 3,2, and 1 ant the top, in that order, then maybe 5 and 4, haven't seen 6, don't remember enough about FvJ, and New Nightmare I don't know where I'd place. I haven't seen the remake either, nor do I have an interest.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. What an awesome idea! I love the lists and stories behind the choices. I guess my list will be familiar and odd at the same time.

I will leave out The Star Wars, The Hobbit, and The Lord of The Rings movies as they would dominate the list.

1. Apocalypse Now: This movie will always haunt me in a strange way. I am a huge Doors fan and the use of The End in the beginning literally segues us into the insanity that is to follow. The whole feel of the movie. I never get tired of watching it.

2. Scarface: I admit that there are several films in this genre that come close but this one mesmerized me. The gritty realism. The savage way that Tony clawed his way to the top. You can almost envision yourself in his shoes. Many gangsters have cited this film as inspiration. And who can forget, "Say Hello to my little friend." And "The world is yours."?

3. Goodfellas: I liked this movie for many of the same reasons that I like Scarface. An excellent movie from beginning to end.

4. A Bronx Tale: I don't know how to explain my affinity for this movie. The juxtaposition of a bad guy being a good guy and a good guy being a bad guy. The school of hard knocks.

5. Something Wicked This Way Comes: This movie is very chilling in a sublime way. As a kid it chilled me to the bone. I learned to see Autumn and carnivals differently.

6. The House on Green Apple Road: I will admit that the movie has its flaws. It was made for tv and the whole affair is subpar. However, the plot is undeniable. We surmise that we know who has been killed and who the killer is for the duration of the movie. Only at the very end, are we astonished to find out that it is exactly the opposite. I will always remember the peppercorns. I would love to find a decent quality copy of this. I went from watching cartoons to watching and reading mysterys because of this movie.

7. Unforgiven: Arguably the best western ever made. All of the events seem time period realistic. William Munny could have been ripped right out of history books. The way the story plays out is incredible. I went to see this movie several times in the theatre and have watched it nearly one hundred times since. The retired gunslinger sheriff is also a nice spin. The ending...wow! You just don't see that coming.

8. A Clockwork Orange: Another very haunting movie. Loaded with so many "What if's" this movie was an apocalyptic prediction of a future yet to be written. I watch it every few months. Its that good.

9. Blade Runner: The epic science fiction movie. Truly excellent in every way. Movies like this set the standard for all others to follow. The dark brooding theme tells us that we really have no idea what is really going on throughout the movie. What is even real?

Tied for number 10. Tried but could not choose my favorite horror movie.

The Shining: The whole atmosphere of the movie. The flashback sequences. The insanity. Jack Nicholson's finest work. This movie gave me many nightmares. I still consider it to be the bar by which I consider all others.

Silence of The Lambs: There are a lot of creepy serial killer movies and many are quite good but this one will always be the one by which all others are considered. Genuinely creepy and ghoulish with very little gore. And Sir Anthony Hopkins is outstanding in his most unforgettable role.

Blue Velvet: I love David Lynch and everything that he creates. I actually understood Naked Lunch's underlying message. He is truly the master of the surreal macabre mystery. Blue Velvet is his true masterpiece. Creepy in a very psychotic way. Dennis Hopper gives his master performance as a possessive psychopath who is disturbing and likeable at the same time. Dean Stockwell is also creepy in a smiling killer clown sort of way. A true masterpiece.

All in all, these movies all could have almost tied for the top spot.

The most honorable mention outside the top ten (or twelve as it were):

Tombstone: I know that its not the best western movie made. I know the acting wasn't exactly great. I know that it didn't even portray the real life events that it depicted accurately, but everything else about the movie was top notch. The pacing was incredible. Not a single dull moment. Not one. The cinematography was excellent. It was Kurt Russell's and Val Kilmer's finest hour. Who will forget, "...you tell 'em I'm coming and all hell's coming with me" or "I'm your huckleberry. Play for blood? That is just my kind of game" or "Why Johnny ringo! You ain't no daisy! You ain't no daisy at all."

Other honorable mentions: in no real order:

The Godfather Saga
Alien/Aliens
Stargate
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Natural Born Killers
Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
Trainspotting
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Halloween (original)
Donnie Darko
The Outsiders
American Graffiti
Hellraiser/Hellbound
Amadeus

I don't typically consider comedies in my top lists but these comedies deserve notice.

O Brother, Where Art Though?: a comedy masterpiece!

There's Something About Mary: Who didn't laugh until they cried at the hair gel?

The Waterboy: The hands down best Sandler movie but its Henry Winkler who steals the show.

Shallow Hal: "You think so? You want to pet the little fella?" Packed with an excellent underlying message to boot? And Tony Robbins?

Pure Luck: When Martin Short gets stung by the bees the only time I laughed so hard I peed myself.

Plains, Trains and Automobiles: Steve Martin may be the star but John Candy owns the movie from beginning to end. His best role.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: Michael Cain is quite good but Steve Martin owns it. Especially as Ruprect. Another that had me laughing until I cried.

History of The World Part 1: Mel Brooks classic is hilarious as he spoofs history. "The Romans are coming! The Romans are coming!"  "F$#k the Romans..."

There's even more of these....

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
How could you forget Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece?

I got the chance to meet Tommy once and it was exactly what you would expect it to be.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
  1. Breaking Bad
  1. Game of Thrones 
  2. Sopranos
  3. Twin Peaks
  4. Six Feet Under
  5. Peaky Blinders
  6. Better Call Saul
  7. Fargo
  8. Mad Men
  9. Lost (just a really fun ride)
Honorable mentions:

Hannibal
The Americans
24 (first half of the first season is what earns it a spot on my list)

Edit: I don’t know why the numbering got screwed up when I pasted this in, but it’s not letting me easily fix it. This board has some wonkiness, especially on a mobile device.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And since numbering didn’t work I’m putting this in no particular order (with honorable mentions mixed in as well).

Comedies

Simpsons
Seinfeld
Arrested Development 
30 Rock
Monty Python’s Flying Circus
MASH
All in the Family
Cheers
Curb Your Enthusiasm 
Taxi
The Office (both)
WKRP in Cincinnati

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most of these are not movies so if we could get back to topic please, thank you.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Top "Ten" Movies:

10. Jason X (2001)
9. Star Trek X - Nemesis (2002)
8. The Ten (2007)
7. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
6. 10 (1979)
5. Hitler: The Last Ten Days (1973)
4. Ten Little Indians (1974)
3. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
2. 3:10 To Yuma (2007)
1. The Ten Commandments (1956)

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Top "Ten" Movies:

10. Jason X (2001)
9. Star Trek X - Nemesis (2002)
8. The Ten (2007)
7. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
6. 10 (1979)
5. Hitler: The Last Ten Days (1973)
4. Ten Little Indians (1974)
3. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
2. 3:10 To Yuma (2007)
1. The Ten Commandments (1956)

Hilarious! Did you have to look for a few of those?

And...Did you not like Force 10 From Navarone, 10, How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 8 Out of 10 Does Count or 10 Years?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Most of these are not movies so if we could get back to topic please, thank you.

Are we being that pedantic? People are posting their top tens for all kinds of things beyond the scope of the OP. And I, for one, was enjoying it.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perhaps, there is or should be a thread for top 10 television series of all time?

I am certain that many the above mentioned shows (sans the ones with x, 10 or ten in the title) would be on my list.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
TVs Frink said:

Are we being that pedantic?

Yes we are.

If it makes you feel better, it was directed at everyone, you just happened to be the last to post before I said something.

And since Dom is the OP, he can move this to Off Topic and open up the subject if he likes.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Denizen said:
Perhaps, there is or should be a thread for top 10 television series of all time?

Once could certainly be made in the TV Show subforum.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Denizen said:
Did you have to look for a few of those?

And...Did you not like Force 10 From Navarone, 10, How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 8 Out of 10 Does Count or 10 Years?

All that I've listed I've seen and logged on Letterbox'd, so just did a simple search for 10 and Ten. The ones you mention I haven't seen, except 10 by Blake Edwards, which is on my list.

TVs Frink said:

1. Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

7/7 balls?

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Denizen said:
Did you have to look for a few of those?

All that I've listed I've seen and logged on Letterbox'd, so just did a simple search for 10 and Ten. The ones you mention I haven't seen, except 10 by Blake Edwards, which is on my list.

TVs Frink said:

1. Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

7/7 balls?

My bad. I did see that you have 10 listed. Also, I was trying to throw a little humour into things. Your timing was spot on.

7/7 balls? I'm even more confused than you.

Top Bottom