• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

TomH1138's Short Projects

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems that RL continues to get in the way of my editing a full-scale project. But I do little things from time to time, like swapping out the music or clips on a TV theme, or coming up with a fake trailer. It seems like I should have a thread for that; putting them in my "Fanedit Ideas" thread just as a catch-all doesn't make sense, as these are pretty much one-and-done projects.

So, here we go!

Stephen Byrne has done some really amazing animated intros, including this mashup of Doctor Who and Gravity Falls that you should go and watch right now. While I understand the reasoning behind picking the Gravity Falls music for the clip, I've wondered what it would sound like with the Doctor Who music instead. As it turns out, it syncs up pretty much perfectly!

Here's what I came up with:

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hokey smoke, it's been two years since I posted in this thread! But I have a good reason to do so again.

This doesn't count as a trailer or a TV theme, but it's definitely a very short project.

On the TV show Quantum Leap, there's an episode called "Piano Man" where series star Scott Bakula sings a beautiful song written specifically for the episode called "Somewhere in the Night." He's joined in the second half by episode guest star Marietta DePrima. The song was later re-recorded for the soundtrack album without DePrima and with a needless backing choir and overdone instrumentation. 

People have posted the song on YouTube, but for some reason they only do the first verse with Scott, inexplicably never including the duet in the second half. They also miss the instrumental version that played over the end credits. 

This is my attempt to create the first ever full TV version of the song. I took all three different clips and mixed them together to create what feels like the most logical, musically satisfying possible version.

There's a little bit of chatter in the beginning (the scene takes place in a diner), but I can't really work around that. I'm pretty happy with everything else, but I think the transition from Scott's singing to the piano interlude around 1:50-ish might need a little fixing up. Can someone with a better knowledge of music than me help me know how to smooth that out? Or am I overthinking it, and it sounds fine on its own? 

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not a bad edit, though at 3:54 there is a bit of a hiccup

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's very cool. I watched this show in the summertime a lot with my brother, and I remember that episode. Thanks for making this and letting me walk down memory lane!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just updated the title of this thread. Originally it was "TomH1138's Trailers and TV Themes," because that's what I thought I would post here the most. Looking back over two years, I posted one TV theme, one reworked song from a TV show...and that's it. So calling this thread "TomH1138's Short Projects" seems more all-encompassing.

A few years ago, I talked about how much fun it is to re-dub Monkees episodes with new songs in the musical "romps" (more information about that can be found here). Recently, I dubbed over the episode "Wild Monkees" (where the group ends up in a race with a motorcycle gang). The original episode had the song "Star Collector"; in its place, I put "Regional Girl" from their '90s reunion album Justus. The grungy tune seemed to fit well there. 

Hope you enjoy!

Top Bottom