• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Toast 9 Titanium

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Toast 9 Titanium by roxio

Toast9.jpg

First, it should be said that Roxio, the company that makes Toast, has the reputation for poor customer service and I found that to be very true. I eMailed for specific information before my purchase and received an automated reply to a different question. I eMailed again and have had no reply at all. The price is stated as $79.00 but in fact is $99.00 because of some rebate scheme that has been a fiasco with many people not receiving their $19.00 discount.

I purchased Toast 9 Titanium to see if I could burn better quality DVDs than with iDVD and also as a tool to burn video_ts folders directly to a blank DVD.

iDVD has 2 automatic settings for image quality and the sound file is PCM format as standard, which uses a lot of the DVDs capacity compared with an AC-3 audio track.

With Toast I began by dragging my Quicktime Master Movie into the DVD author panel. The display and choice of the few DVD themes is very poor. In fact, it feels like a DVD author program for people who do not really care how their DVDs are presented as long as they play. There are hardly any options for personification. The themes all look very cheap and domestic.

My hope was that I could convert the PCM audio to AC-3 and increase the bit-rate of the movie for better image quality but it seems that this is not possible with Toast 9 Titanium.

I made a DVD (disc image) of two short films using one of the themes. The DVD plays well and the image is good but the presentation with the DVD menu is awful. I am not sure how to test the DVD to see if the audio has indeed been converted to another format or see what the bit-rate of the video is.

So Toast 9 feels like a good tool to burn video_ts folders, back up data and video but as a tool in creating FanEdits it is pretty useless. I will update this as I am sure I will get to know this software better in the future.

Here is a link to the official site

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast ... QgodXwqIkg

Here is the best review of Toast 9 that I can find

http://news.worldofapple.com/archives/2 ... -titanium/

I've never had any problems with Toast. It is very user-friendly. And like all things that are very user friendly, it is equally simplistic. I hardly ever use it anymore, except to make mp3 compilation discs for the car. Otherwise I use DVD Studio. Much higher learning curve, but completely open to tailoring.

Back
Top Bottom