- Reaction score
- Trophy Points
There's a lot going on in The Way of the Gun that I love, especially the core relationship of "Parker" and "Longbaugh" and the chemistry they've clearly picked up over the years. Their ability to communicate with the subtlest glance is only surpassed by Del Toro's ability to convey it. The gunplay is exquisite and the plot is interesting, but to me it's all hampered by some plodding family dynamic stuff down the middle. I aim to streamline it.
- Remove the opening scene. Why: It's homophobic, serves very little purpose, was based on a story McQuarrie heard about an altercation at a dog park, and was basically shoe-horned in. Its only value is the closing shot that foreshadows the end of the movie.
- Remove the Jeffers/Francesca sub-sub-plot. Why: There are just two many layers to the plot, and they all keep us away from P/L/R at the motel. By removing this one specifically, we move the story along faster. Also, this way I don't have to hear Francesca eating shrimp.
- Remove Francesca listening in on all the conversations. Why? It goes nowhere. Just a distraction, best I can tell.
- Remove the closing shot of Francesca announcing she's pregnant. Why? As a layers-within-layers thing it's interesting, but for me it just ilicits a groan. I'd rather close out the story with P&L.
- Just generally get things moving a bit faster. Why? It's a two hour movie that feels like it's two hours.
- Removed opening "raving bitch" scene at the bar.
- Moved the beginning of Parker's monologue...
- Shortened opening credits substantially (removed costume designer, etc.)
- Removed interview scene at the sperm bank.
- Removed Chidduck telling Robin what women want in life.
- Subtle score enhancement while Robin talks about the baby.
- Shortened early scene with Chidduck on the phone, in the hallway, to hide Francesca.
- Different music as P/L/R drive to Mexico.
- Removed scene with Jeffers and Franscesca (secret affair stuff).
- Removed Francesca from the scene were Jeffers and Obecks are discussing their plan in the kitchen.
- Removed scene with Painter and Sarno in the hallway. The scenes with Painter and Chidduck tell us what we need.
- Removed scene with truck being loaded with money; instead we stay with P/L/R at the motel.
- Removed scene with Robin stumbling through the hall and getting dragged back to her room.
- Shortened Abner's death scene slightly (Note: If I make it shorter the joke doesn't work, and if I cut entirely we miss critical information, so I went for balance).
- Removed L slapping the woman's ass.
- Subtle score enhancement when Robin is in distress (placental abruption).
- During the c-section scene, after Jeffers is killed, substantially shortened the exquisitely long shot of Del Toro thinking in the chair.
- Removed the final scene with Francesca saying she's pregnant.
- Changed music for closing credits.
Note: Color balance has been shifted in a way that might offend some viewers.