• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

TM2YC's 1001 Movies (Chronological up to page 25/post 481)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
TM2YC said:
High Noon (1952)

LOVE this film.  I have watched it dozens of times and it has never grown old or tired.

By Bionic Hero did a tv sequel in 1980 written by none other than Elmore Leonard...
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnefPSD1SBM[/video]

...and Tom Skerritt did a remake in 2000....
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-NCDV1NNk[/video]

:D

How does a sequel work? I noticed there were a few remakes listed including the excellent Sean Connery Sci-Fi semi-rework 'Outland':

...and I finally get this reference from Red Dwarf:

^ I've laughed at that since I was kid but didn't know it was a specific reference to anything. I just thought that was the kind of song you played when a ship's computer must face a battle to the death with his backup computer :D .

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
How does a sequel work? 

It has been years since I seen it but my recollection is Kane (Lee Majors) returns to town a few years after the original movie to find the town is in the iron grip of an evil Sheriff.  Kane of course tries to ignore it and live his life, but bad things keep happening, including the death of his friend.  Finally he has to put the badge back on to save the town.   It is a fairly standard reluctant hero plot.  Mostly I just remember being excited to see BOTH Lee Majors AND David Carradine together onscreen. ;)  I see amazon has the dvd pretty cheap, it may be time to revisit this dusty gem. lol

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, i definitely wasn't expecting to see Pink Flamingos on the list. has anyone seen it? is it a well known picture out there?

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I grew up near Baltimore where they play Waters' movies all the time. While they're not really my cup of tea, I've seen them all and can appreciate most of them. You've got to put one of those anarchic movies on the list, and Pink Flamingos is a good choice. If you're walking through film history, you've got to see what the anti-everything punk rock reaction to the times was. Waters' films usually fascinate me because he's a very talented visual artist, and he takes that skill and applies it to gonzo, gross out, transgressive, madness. I usually admire it more than I enjoy it, but it's undeniably interesting.

Pink Flamingos is the one that blew up, has the most infamous Waters scene ever, is probably the most disgusting, least meaningful and the least accessible of all his movies. So, probably the best choice, really.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*googles* Oh, that movie. Someone on the telly just timely said "I think I'm going to be sick".

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
66 years ago...

32473829777_86662102ac_o.jpg

Umberto D. (1952)
Director: Vittorio De Sica
Length: 89 minutes
Type: Drama

Incredibly, the title character of Mr. Umberto was retired academic Carlo Battisti's only role. His aged puppy-dog eyes made me want to cry. Umberto is a poor yet proud, kindly old gentleman, who is facing eviction by his callous landlady. His only real friends are his beloved little dog Flike and a free-spirited teenage housemaid who he has a sort of grandfather/granddaughter relationship with.  We see him taken to the brink of suicide but it's caring for his dog that keeps him living. Vittorio De Sica often artfully conveys the old man's deepest feelings without words, through a camera move, a change in music, or a well timed cut.  'Umberto D' is one of the most beautifully sad films I've yet seen.

Another Jean Renoir film next (in colour).

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Umberto D. is one of the most schockingly sad movies I have ever seen, and one of the most beautiful.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Umberto D. is one of the most schockingly sad movies I have ever seen, and one of the most beautiful.

Indeed, yet it left me feeling somehow uplifted.

66 years ago...

32473829827_2917ac8fbd_o.jpg

The Golden Coach (1952)
Director: Jean Renoir
Length: 103 minutes
Type: Farce

A band of Italian Commedia dell'arte players rock up in a Spanish 18th-century Peruvian colony. Camilla (Anna Magnani) their hot-tempered leading lady soon attracts three ardent competing suitors, a dangerous champion bull-fighter, a grave young soldier and the charmingly unconventional Viceroy of the province (who has purchased the fabulous titular coach). Jean Renoir blurs the line between the play being performed and the film we are watching in a vibrant Technicolor farce. Magnani delivers so many laugh-out-loud moments with her mock-outrage and I really enjoyed Duncan Lamont's irreverent performance as the Viceroy. The music of Vivaldi adds an extra romantic sheen. I'd like to see a modern 4K digital restoration done because I imagine the current 2004 DVD transfer doesn't do it full justice.

A film by a trailblazing female Director next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

40450376203_8cdf288ae7_o.jpg

The Bigamist (1953)
Director: Ida Lupino
Length: 80 minutes

'The Bigamist' was Directed by co-star Ida Lupino, which was a first for a female actor and very rare in 1950s Hollywood. So I was a little surprised to find it had arguably sexist elements. The film shows through flashback how a traveling salesman came to be married to two women, in two cities. The music and Direction work to milk our sympathies for the poor schlub as he tries to do right by both of his wives but never really points the finger at him. He cheats on his first wife, which is somehow excused because she can't have children and he feels she has emasculated him by being much better at business and even able to change the tire of their car (the scandal of it! :D ). The dinner party scene where she is offering "wild and dangerous opinions of her own" as he looks at her "with utter contempt" was laughably close to this classic 90s comedy sketch:

In the end he doesn't even have the backbone to confess to either woman face-to-face, which is played as a sort of nobility. It's all very well acted and Directed and even enjoyable but I just couldn't feel sorry for the main character like the film wanted me to. By the way, one of the wives works as a waitress in a Chinese restaurant, which would be a somewhat progressive setting on the surface but it only demonstrates the insidious subtlety of 1950s Hollywood racism. She calls her Chinese-American boss "Sam" but the script still requires him to call his employee "Miss Martin".

Fred Astaire makes a return in Technicolor next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

47571419522_5248a16b7f_o.jpg

The Band Wagon (1953)
Director: Vincente Minnelli
Length: 111 minutes
Type: Musical

'The Band Wagon' has the entertainment business sending itself up, as more and more demanding creatives join a new musical production and transform it into something unrecognisable and awful. Jack Buchanan is a scream as the pretentious and outrageous Producer of the show, the scene where he his (over)acting out the plot for investors is hilarious. Fred Astaire is at his debonair best playing a fading old-fashioned star, paired with a hot, much younger ballet dancer, played by Cyd Charisse (Wowser, how about that red dress!). The two are like fire and ice, in the story and on the screen. There are too many numbers with only a loose connection to the plot for my taste but the dancing talent, incredible choreography and inventive visual style are undeniable. The finale is a condensed Film-Noir movie set to dance, which was famously copied very closely for the 'Smooth Criminal' music video.

My favourite sequence was 'Shine on Your Shoes', featuring Leroy Daniels. The imagination and footwork in this one scene is eye-popping:

Another Max Ophüls film next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

46708910805_15bbb69c77_o.jpg

Madame de... (1953)
Director: Max Ophüls
Length: 105 minutes
Type: Romance, Drama

'Madame de...' (aka 'The Earrings of Madame de…') is another tale of star-crossed Romance from Max Ophüls. His waltzing camera work and the exquisite production design, filling every inch of the frame with, ball gowns, dress uniforms, candelabras and ornate mirrors create a dreamlike atmosphere. We follow a pair of earrings as they change hands multiple times between three people in a love triangle, symbolic of their shifting emotions. Famed Italian Neo-Realist Director Vittorio De Sica (I just watched his 'Umberto D.') plays one third of the triangle with powerful nobility. I can't say which he is better at, Directing, or Acting?

Another Fred Zinnemann film next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

47624401251_b24a747acc_o.jpg

From Here to Eternity (1953)
Director: Fred Zinnemann
Length: 118 minutes

All I knew of 'From Here to Eternity' was the famous and much imitated beach scene and the movie's well-deserved reputation. The all-round classiness of the production makes it easy to see why it won 8 Oscars, including Best Picture. The sharp script only takes 15-minutes to fully setup the plot, develop the main characters and layout the world they inhabit. We follow the lives and loves of three soldiers, a stern Sergeant (Burt Lancaster), a resolute young Private (Montgomery Clift) and his rambunctious sidekick (Frank Sinatra) stationed in Hawaii leading up to the Pearl Harbor attack. The whole cast including Donna Reed, Deborah Kerr and Ernest Borgnine are all A-list. Although some of the peculiar limits of 1950s Hollywood censorship still apply, the sexuality is a good deal more overt than in earlier films of this period.

Next up, the first of several films in the book by Yasujiro Ozu.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

47571629482_e39287eb48_o.jpg

Tokyo Story (1953)
Director: Yasujiro Ozu
Length: 136 minutes

I tried watching 'Tokyo Story' in 2012, when it was newly voted "the best film of all time" in a poll of notable film Directors by 'Sight & Sound' magazine. I got about half an hour in and was too bored to continue, so it's time to see if my tastes have changed, or my attention span has increased ;) . Yasujiro Ozu's film is a very loose reworking of Leo McCarey's 'Make Way for Tomorrow' (1937) with another quiet old couple being ill-treated by their grown-up children, who are too busy with their own lives. Only the widow of their late son treats them with respect, love and kindness, putting herself out to spend time with them. This creates a fascinating paradox because through her deference to them and reverence of her dead husband. she has neglected herself and is secretly sad and lonely behind her warm smile.

If I recall correctly, the camera only moves once, otherwise it never changes position by so much as a millimeter, never zooms and never pans, making the film in-tune with the stillness of the old couple and accentuating the activity of their children. The peculiarities of Japanese interior design are used to make layered compositions in the foreground, mid-ground and background. The cast are uniformly brilliant, Chishu Ryu and Setsuko Hara in particular (the father and step-daughter respectively). Even though I think that anybody who says something as minimal as 'Tokyo Story' is the highest achievement of the cinematic arts, is getting high off of their own pretensions... it is very, very good.

Audrey Hepburn's first big role next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

33747137268_c07c47a035_o.jpg

Roman Holiday (1953)
Director: William Wyler
Length: 118 minutes
Type: Romance

'Roman Holiday' was secretly written by the blacklisted Dalton Trumbo, working under another name but the restored version I watched had his credit put back into the opening titles. Audrey Hepburn plays a closeted young Princess of an unnamed European Monarchy (but I'm sure we are supposed to infer that she is one of the two British Princesses) who is utterly exhausted by her suffocating official schedule and so escapes her bedroom in the Embassy to see Rome for herself. Gregory Peck plays a mildly disreputable Rome-based US Newspaper man who doesn't initially realise who this girl is but when he does, he smells a profitable scoop. Naturally they begin to fall in love over 24-hours spent exploring Rome (filmed on location). The humour comes from us knowing that both characters are being less than honest with other, the fish-out-of-water angle with the Princess and the scheming of Peck's Reporter. It's a practically perfect Fairy-tale Romance with a witty script and a beautifully acted, tear-enduing ending.

The first film in the book by Henri-Georges Clouzot next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

46900125904_4193e1916e_o.jpg

The Wages of Fear (1953)
Director: Henri-Georges Clouzot
Length: 153 minutes

I'd already seen the remake 'Sorceror', so I was familiar with the premise of this Henri-Georges Clouzot original. A group of desperate men take a lucrative but deadly job from a South America based US oil company to drive volatile nitroglycerine across miles of bumpy road to put out a burning oil derrick. Clouzot really takes his time setting up the characters before he puts them in danger, it's a half hour before the mission is even mentioned and an hour before they set off. Unbearable levels of tension are ratcheted up though masterful direction, precise editing and great sound-design. After the dangerous quest, the final irony is that fear of death may be the only thing keeping you alive. Yves Montand is like a French Humphrey Bogart as the central "hero", Charles Vanel is terrific as a faded old gangster and William Tubbs is so damned cynical and callous as the US oil chief that you kinda love him (sadly his last role).  I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of Clouzot's films in the near future.

Next is another Western collaboration between Jimmy Stewart and Anthony Mann.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
66 years ago...

46708910635_1ea03db6c3_o.jpg

The Naked Spur (1953)
Director: Anthony Mann
Length: 91 minutes
Type: Western

It's almost as if 'The Naked Spur' begins halfway through the plot of a standard Western and you have to catch up. James Stewart is already hot on the heels of a man wanted for murder (and his girl), when a cranky old prospector and a dubious Army Lieutenant get mixed up in the deal. I noticed similarities to Quentin Tarantino's 'The Hateful Eight', in that this is another Western where you think you have a firm grasp of who the heroes and villains are at the outset but dark revelations from their past and the promise of money soon begin to unravel the character's motivations.

Next up is the first film in the book by Samuel Fuller.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

32768746857_07335b8aff_o.jpg

Pickup on South Street (1953)
Director: Samuel Fuller
Length: 80 minutes
Type: Film-Noir, Spy-Thriller

A New York subway pickpocket unwittingly pinches a top-secret film from the purse of a random lady and so becomes mixed up with Soviet spies and the US Government agents on their tail. Richard Widmark is a lot of fun as the outrageously insolent thief. This Noir has a harder edge than most with several scenes of wince-inducing violence directed at Jean Peters' character Candy.  Thelma Ritter (from 'Rear Window') steals the show from the two leads as an amiable old girl who informs for the Police, she has easily the most powerful scene. The central message is pretty much "You can be a two-bit cut-purse, a sneaky stool-pigeon, or a cheap harlot but they're all saints next to a dirty Commie!" which comes across as faintly silly and jingoistic to modern ears. However, when you consider that New York couple Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were arrested for passing secrets to the Soviets a year or so before this film was written and they were executed by Electric-Chair the very same week 'Pickup on South Street' hit theaters, it must have seemed like a drama ripped from the headlines.

A Marilyn Monroe classic next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

32768746887_827879f8ff_o.jpg

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
Director: Howard Hawks
Length: 91 minutes
Type: Comedy, Musical, Romance

I wasn't expecting a fifties film starring two voluptuous sex bombs (Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell) to be such a strong feminist statement. Monroe's character Lorelei is a lovably blatant gold-digger and Russell as Dorothy is her fiercely loyal and more practical best friend. Cleverly the antagonist is also the love interest for Dorothy, a Private-Eye (Elliott Reid) shadowing Lorelei. It's made very clear that Dorothy will not put her love for him before her friendship with Lorelei, after-all the film's most famous song 'Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend' is about achieving financial independence from the unreliability of men.

The dialogue is so snappy and fun that I sometimes felt the songs interrupted my enjoyment but that probably depends on your feelings about musicals. Russell has most of the best lines, dripping with sarcasm and Monroe plays her part with a potent mix of faux naivety and outrageous flirting. Almost all the male characters are helpless against Lorelei's powers of persuasion and she knows it! The Technicolor images are crazily vibrant in glorious HD.

6448_6.jpg

6448_14.jpg

6448_1.jpg

Another Fritz Lang Noir next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
65 years ago...

32768746987_e6b0a45664_o.jpg

The Big Heat (1953)
Director: Fritz Lang
Length: 90 minutes
Type: Film-Noir

Fritz Lang once again resets the standard for Film-Noir with this story of a lone incorruptible Police Sergeant against the mob and his own department. Glen Ford is sensational as the ultimate Noir Cop, spitting out hard-boiled dialogue with venom at his adversaries but still a decent man at heart. I was reminded quite a bit of Eliot Ness in 1987's 'The Untouchables' (one of my all-time favourites) in the way he must weigh his duty and the threat to his family. 'The Big Heat' is probably also the key influence on 1997's masterpiece 'L.A. Confidential' with the same sort of police force rotting from within. Much of the worst violence is directed at the female characters, most infamously when Lee Marvin's gangster throws boiling coffee in his girlfriend's face out of spite. This is a grim and dark, edge-of-the-seat drama.

The first film in the book by Jacques Tati next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
66 years ago...

32768746827_6d05e7a2ec_o.jpg

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953)
Director: Jacques Tati
Length: 114 minutes
Type: Comedy

'Monsieur Hulot's Holiday' ('Les Vacances de M. Hulot') is a throwback to the Silent Comedies of Chaplin, Lloyd and Keaton. It does feature a soundtrack, in fact a lot of the humour is derived from the soundFX and nonsensical radio broadcasts we hear but conversational dialogue is almost nil. Jacques Tati plays the physically awkward title-character, vacationing at a busy beach-side Hotel. Hulot is a bumbling good-natured man, ludicrously polite and generally unaware of the utter chaos he generates by his mere presence in a room. The visual comedy is precise and subtle and will no-doubt reward repeated re-viewing to see what little details you missed. Some of Tati's routines are impressive, like a one-shot take involving a floating paint can, or him nearly being run over by a truck. I didn't have many big laughs but had plenty of gentle amusement.

Next is another Ingrid Bergman film.

Top Bottom