• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

TM2YC's 1001 Movies (Chronological up to page 25/post 481)

^I'm still halfway convinced this is Nolan's best film. I was lucky enough to see it in the theater and got on the Nolan hype train from the jump. There's probably no going back, but I'd love to see something more like this and less like Interstellar in the future, particularly in terms of tightness of plot and motivation.

I would like him to make so more low-key, low-budget stuff again, 'Tenet' has pushed the mind-bending-action-thriller-blockbuster thing about as far as it can go. With that said, since 'Interstellar' is one of my all-time favourite films, I'd like more films on that kind of epic scale too ;) .

51349498070_c820d490bd_o.jpg

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)
Director: Werner Herzog
Length: 94 minutes
Type: Historical, Drama

Werner Herzog's 'Aguirre, the Wrath of God' ('Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes') starts trudging along slowly and meanders around in the middle as if lost like the conquistadors (maybe that was deliberate). In the 2nd half where Klaus Kinski's maniacal Don Lope de Aguirre (loosely based on a real person) descends into insanity is where the power lies. The debt that Francis Ford Coppola's 'Apocalypse Now' owes to Herzog's film is obvious (although the latter is vastly superior in my opinion). It's got the same "the further down the river and deeper into the jungle they go, the closer they are too madness" structure and Popol Vuh's mysterious synth soundtrack feels a lot like Carmine Coppola's later score. The post-sync dubbing on the German and English versions is pretty bad, it's a little better in the English version but the German version has Kinski's actual crazy voice so that's the one to go for. The final elegant circling shot is mesmerising and poetic... later you start to think how the hell was it done? Herzog reveals on the commentary that it was achieved by approaching the raft with a camera mounted on a speed boat then cutting the engine at just the right time so it would smoothly decelerate and glide around Kinski without creating any wake visible in the shot, so the camera appears to just glide through the air. I liked 'Aguirre' much more on this 2nd watch but I still don't love all of it.

51351576559_fbdcc072b3_o.jpg

The Wild Bunch (1969)
Director: Sam Peckinpah
Length: 145 minutes
Type: Western

Sam Peckinpah's 'The Wild Bunch' is the only US made Western that I can think of that matched the disreputable cool and outrageous violence of the Spaghetti Westerns. But unlike the slow constructed operatic style of Sergio Leone, Peckinpah's action is all about rapid editing, controlled chaos and super-slow-motion bloodletting. When hundreds of people aren't being mowed down by machine guns and shotguns, the dialogue and character scenes are beautifully written and played. There are so many moments where characters exchange silent looks, with no need for speech to convey the meaning to the audience. There's the bit where Ben Johnson simply hands William Holden a bottle of whiskey, a gesture that in context means "I'm sorry I ever doubted you. You are still our leader. I respect you again. You'll get no more trouble from me" and in Holden drinking from it he's saying "All is forgiven". Then there is the scene where Holden is ruefully observing the women, money and booze that the heist has got him and we can see in his eyes that he's decided that he can't enjoy any of it if a friend is in danger. He walks over to the others and just growls "Let's go" and they immediately understand what these two words mean "Let's all walk into certain death because it's right". It's such a badass scene. It's the moment when the anti-heroes become straight-up, ten foot tall heroes. Peckinpah's use of freeze-frame credits for the characters has been copied a thousand times. I bet John Woo is a fan, it's got his type of furious action and his type of fatalistic protagonists, brothers in blood, operating by their own narrow code of honour. When I first saw 'The Wild Bunch' I thought it was a great Western, this time I think it's one the finest films ever made.

It's difficult to get your head around how controversial the levels of bloody violence were in 'The Wild Bunch' back in 1969. By the standards of the action and horror movies I watched as a kid in the 1980s, it's not all that extreme. Monty Python did a funny sketch satirising Peckinpah's violence 2-years after the film came out:

The Wild Bunch: An Album in Montage (1996)
The re-discovery of a stack of silent b&w 16mm footage of Sam Peckinpah directing 'The Wild Bunch' inspired Director/Producer/Editor Paul Seydor to cut it together into a 34-minute tribute to the film and the man. If you've seen any of Jamie Benning's "Filmumentaries" then you know the kind of thing. There are no interviews to camera, just voices and the behind-the-scenes material is intercut with the finished film to give the feeling of watching the scenes being created. Since Peckinpah died in 1984, Ed Harris provides his voice. I loved the story about them needing to quickly paint hundreds of henchman's uniforms (rather than replace them) to cover the stains from the blood squibs, so they could be shot again and again. The film was nominated for a 'Best Documentary Short' Academy Award.

Sam Peckinpah's West: Legacy of a Hollywood Renegade (2004)
A terrific feature-length documentary talking about and contrasting the eight Western movies Sam Peckinpah made across 13-years. Considering it was only focusing on the Western genre films (even including a modern take on the Western like 'Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia') it was odd that all the TV Westerns he directed and created were barely discussed, also the three Western movies he wrote screenplays for aren't mentioned at all. Still, the material that is here is fascinating. Despite the differing tones, levels of violence, settings, characters and stories, the doc makes the argument that Peckinpah was always trying to make the same stories, about tested male friendships and broken losers taking a chance to regain their self-respect.

51354141359_93df55ce05_o.jpg

Boyz n the Hood (1991)
Director: John Singleton
Length: 112 minutes
Type: Drama

'Boyz n the Hood' has lost none of it's relevance or power in 30-years, it hasn't aged a day since I first watched it (probably late night on Channel 4). Writer/Director John Singleton avoids having any white antagonist characters in this drama about racism, the kind of easy target villain for the audience's feelings that lesser films might include, distracting from an unflinching and deeper examination of the wider issues. Police helicopter noise, searchlights and gunshots are ever present in the sound-mix, even interrupting the love scene. It's styled in a familiar sexy soft-focus movie way, so you instantly feel how stylistically jarring that interruption is the world of a movie and therefore understand how it would be in real life. It seems like this was a movie talking about the LA riots but they were actually a year after 'Boyz n the Hood'. Singleton managed to perfectly dial into the anger that was building, well before it finally exploded and nobody could ignore it any more. The standout performances are Laurence Fishburne's formidable father 'Furious Styles' and Ice Cube's nuanced portrayal of 'Doughboy'. It's a shame Cube has appeared in many low-rent B-movies and comedy cameos since 1991 because he's such an impressive actor in a film of this quality.

^I'm still halfway convinced this is Nolan's best film. I was lucky enough to see it in the theater and got on the Nolan hype train from the jump. There's probably no going back, but I'd love to see something more like this and less like Interstellar in the future, particularly in terms of tightness of plot and motivation.

I would definitely say it's my favorite Nolan film.

51357432096_24481965ac_o.jpg

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
Director: Wes Anderson
Length: 109 minutes
Type: Comedy, Drama

I was fairly obsessed with 'The Royal Tenenbaums' when it came out. I rewatched it many times on DVD and went out and bought a load of the albums that feature tracks on the wonderful 60s/70s jukebox soundtrack like Nico's 'Chelsea Girl', 'John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' and Nick Drake's 'Bryter Layter', which continue to be some of my favourite ever albums. Wes Anderson's exquisite use of the Futura-Bold typeface appeals so much to my sensibility. Quite often I'm just enjoying the precise spacing of the letters and choice of contrasting colours. Futura and other clean fonts are everywhere in the film from letters on doors, company signage, book covers and of course the titles themselves, nothing is left to disappointing "real life" with it's illegible serif fonts and inconsistently spaced text. What places 'The Royal Tenenbaums' above some of Anderson's later overly quirky films is that the artifice is just a gorgeously composed veneer on top of a dark and deeply moving script about depression, suicide, loss, redemption and the renewed love of family... flaws and all. The most devastating moment is when Gene Hackman's pathological liar Royal casually tells his estranged and annoyed children that the time he's just spent with them is the best of his whole life, then a sad expression crosses his face and the voice-over says "Immediately after making this statement, Royal realized that it was true". Plus the movie is downright hilarious too. This was the third and last Anderson film co-written by Owen Wilson, I wish he'd write with him again. I feel Wilson's feel for comedy and tragedy tempers some of Anderson's more outré tendencies. It hadn't occurred to me before that there are parallels with Orson Welles' 'The Magnificent Ambersons', not least the title. I shouldn't leave it so long before watching this masterpiece again.

51358937132_061742752c_o.jpg

American Graffiti (1973)
Director: George Lucas
Type: Drama, Comedy

I'd tried watching 'American Graffiti' before but always got a bit bored with it. This time I ploughed on through and once you get past the seemingly directionless first half it becomes much clearer what all the different competing character arcs are about and I enjoyed it. The Richard Dreyfuss and Charles Martin Smith characters were the most interesting to me. The ram-packed jukebox soundtrack of 50s and 60s rock 'n' roll hits is to die for. You can feel George Lucas' glowing nostalgia for his teenage years radiating out, making you also want to cruise around in a hot-rod, grab a burger and a malt, watch a drive-in movie and listen to some early Beach Boys records (I'm only really familiar with doing the last one of those on a regular basis). The transfer I watched was very dark and wierdly lacking in contrast, so probably George has kindly "remastered" it in "sh*t-o-vision" like his other movies.

51362351355_03328aec0b_o.jpg

Blue Velvet (1986)
Director: David Lynch
Length: 120 minutes
Type: Noir, Mystery

'Blue Velvet' is like Alfred Hitchcock's 'Rear Window' except you aren't observing a mystery from a safe distance while flirting with Grace Kelly, you're trapped over in Raymond Burr's apartment being forced to watch him chopping up his wife. It's testament to Kyle MacLachlan's subtle skills as an actor that he magically appears much younger and more innocent than he did with the mature and commanding performance in 'Dune', although this was shot 2 or 3 years later. Several other 'Dune' cast members make an appearance. It's clearly very well made and daring, the opening montage of portentous images, Dennis Hopper's disturbingly unhinged performance and the Dean Stockwell lip-sync scene are all very memorable and intoxicating but overall I still don't love the movie, I just find it intriguing. The terrible old transfer I watched might not have helped (I should have sought out the newer Criterion release). Doubtless I'll give it another go sometime to see if it grabs me more on a third watch.

Mysteries of Love (2002)
I enjoyed this feature-length documentary about the making of David Lynch's 'Blue Velvet' as much as the actual film. The discussions of the meaning, the insights into Lynch's quirky method and many great anecdotes were fascinating. I loved the stories about Lynch holding his meetings with cast and crew over lunch at Bob's Big Boy burger joint in casual defiance of usual upmarket Hollywood schmoozing.

BlhPrSvIAAAPP6r.jpg

^ Lynch and John Waters :) .

51363182826_29d8cf071f_o.jpg

Dancer in the Dark (2000)
Director: Lars von Trier
Length: 140 minutes
Type: Drama, Musical

This was my second viewing of 'Dancer in the Dark', I saw it once on VHS back in 2000, when it's shot-on-consumer-grade-video nature was probably obscured by the medium and then today on an HD-ish stream. I like films to look well shot but unusually I didn't care with this, the super-low-fi documentary look gives it such a bleak realism, even as the musical dream sequences shift into oldskool Hollywood fantasy. It's specifically set in 1964 but it's quite timeless, it could easily be just a rust-belt, backwater town in the 90s, or set in the great depression. Fortunately I had no memory of exactly how it ended but I did remember it would not end well for Björk's character Selma. Lars von Trier's script sets up so many potential dangers surrounding the sweet and gentle Selma, so I felt always on edge. Not least because she is a machine-press operator who is secretly nearly blind. Hers is a story of extreme parental sacrifice, it's almost Christ like. I love the way the clink and clang of everyday objects is used as musical percussion. The supporting cast is high quality, including Catherine Deneuve, David Morse and Peter Stormare. Bjork's soundtrack is genius, I listened to the track 'New World' on endless repeat back when it came out, it still sounds sensational.

Dancer in the Dark (2000)
Director: Lars von Trier
This is one I've never been able to watch because I'm struggling to separate art from artist. Knowing that this film company routinely degraded and harassed women lends a different cast to this film in particular. It's hard for me to watch a film where our heroine is being trod upon knowing that it's not an act and she was dealing with the director literally subjugating her and harassing her daily. If I was dicey on Von Trier before, it just made it too easy to support other people's movies now instead.

51369143502_d9bf0337ce_o.jpg

A Touch of Zen (1971)
Director: King Hu
Length: 180 minutes
Type: Wuxia

Although it's widely known as 'A Touch of Zen', the proper Mandarin title is 'Xia Nu', literally meaning "Chivalrous woman", or a better translation might by "The Lady Knight". The female warrior of the title is the fugitive Yang, daughter of a noble father, pursued by the evil and corrupt officials who murdered her father, she's aided by a couple of loyal Generals. She's not actually the main character though, we experience the story through the eyes of a placid young calligrapher/painter/scholar who befriends the group of warriors. He goes on a kind of "Michael Corleone" arc, inexorably drawn deeper into their world of violence with a calculating detachment. Director King Hu has Ridley Scott's love of smoke-machines and rays of sunlight and J.J. Abrams' love of lens-flares. There must be a hundred shots in the film that are the most beautiful thing you'll ever see on the screen. The mystery and tension builds slowly in the first part like a wordless Sergio Leone opening. Then there are several fantastic sword fighting set-pieces in the middle. However, half of them are at night and were quite hard to follow due to how dark it was. I'm not sure if that's the fault of the film-makers, or the transfer I watched (it was the pin-sharp 4K scan of the negative on the Masters of Cinema blu-ray though?). There is a point half an hour from the end where it feels like the story has naturally concluded in a satisfying way and all the threads have been sewn up... then it just starts up again with a new threat, introduces new characters and largely forgets the main character. This section and a few other areas could do with a trim, as the 3-hour runtime felt excessive for the simple story and (mostly) simple characters. The effortlessly skilful, stern, unflappable monk character was great, I kept wondering where I'd seen him, then realised it was Roy Chiao who plays a similar character at the start of 'Enter the Dragon', plus he plays Lao Che in 'Temple of Doom'. From now on, I think I'm going to imagine that Bruce Lee is studying at the same temple as Yang and Chiao is playing the same immortal monk in the 1970s! ;)

A Touch of Zen (1971)
There is a point half an hour from the end where it feels like the story has naturally concluded in a satisfying way and all the threads have been sewn up... then it just starts up again with a new threat, introduces new characters and largely forgets the main character. This section and a few other areas could do with a trim, as the 3-hour runtime felt excessive for the simple story and (mostly) simple characters.
Glad you got to this! I would watch the hell out of a fanedit that did this.... "A Lighter Touch of Zen"? "A Whisper of Zen"? "Just the Fingertips of Zen"?

^ Yeah, a "A soupson of Zen", "A pinch of Zen" etc ;) .

51374901294_f0ae160440_o.jpg

The Sweet Hereafter (1997)
Director: Atom Egoyan
Type: Drama

I couldn't help but compare this to the Coen Brother's 'Fargo' from the year before. It's also dealing with small-town people with terrible secrets, death and tragedy and criminal investigations in a remote snow covered landscape... just without the humour. It was surprising to read that after a distinguished 30-year career, this was Ian Holm's first starring role. He plays an emotionally damaged lawyer, who is (over) enthusiastically trying to put together a class-action lawsuit after a town's children drown in a bus crash. It's a very complex performance that teeters between protagonist and antagonist. I really liked Sarah Polley since she starred in 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen' so it's always great to see her in more films. Director Atom Egoyan skilfully cuts back and forth in time and place to tell the story and explore the motivations of the characters. He lets tension between characters hang in the air and builds atmosphere to claustrophobic levels. I thought the 'Pied Piper' allegory got laid on a bit thick and the soundtrack sounds very dated to the 90s.

51377594206_e2c240dcb8_o.jpg

The Matrix (1999)
Director: The Wachowskis
Length: 136 minutes
Type: Sci-Fi, Action

The Wachowskis stir up a huge array of pop-culture influences including Alfred Hitchcock's 'Vertigo', 'Blade Runner', Hong Kong action, Kung Fu movies, Film-Noir, Japanese Sci-Fi and Anime, Jedis, Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali, Spaghetti Westerns, Goths, Punks, 'The Wizard of Oz', 'Sleeping Beauty', Dance culture and comic books into a new cohesive confection. I'd spent my 1990s teenage years getting into most of those things, so it was like a movie had come along with all my favourite things combined. Watching it for the millionth time, the first 45-minutes do perhaps drag the tiniest amount because it's explaining a concept that I know by heart (it's like the first Star Wars movie in that respect) but that stage is set with a lot of visual style and drama to keep you entertained. Then we finally get loaded into the Neo vs Morpheus dojo scene and the movie just flies from that incredible fight sequence onwards. I noticed that the heroes re-enter the Matrix at the exact mid point of the movie. It's that kind of precise narrative structure that the sequels lack. Plus since Keanu Reeves has his head shaved in half his scenes (we then see it grow) and is not wearing a wig in the Matrix scenes (I'm 99% sure?) it meant they would've had to shoot the film in a set order, with no possibility for reshoots, rethinks, or mistakes. I believe there are no deleted scenes as a consequence of that disciplined approach. The Trip-Hop/Big-Beat/Industrial/Metal soundtrack is such a big character in the film. I remember the "Music from the Motion Picture" CD (not the score CD) being so popular at the time it seemed to be in everybody's collection. The key scene being the lobby gun battle where the action is cut precisely to the rhythm of Propellerheads cool classic 'Spybreak!'. It's one of the greatest action scenes ever shot. The score by Don Davis is lovely too but it was a big mistake to only have his music in the sequels. Gloria Foster's performance as "The Oracle" is magnetic, she could've delivered 2-hours of exposition about Zion and the machines and it would still be more entertaining than most other movies.

The original trailer in open-matte 35mm glory:

Since I was revisiting the first one and with the 4th film on the way, I thought I might as well force myself to sit through the sequels one more time. Long rambling rant ahead...! ;)

The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
Apart from introducing new characters, expanding the world and endless exposition to explain those characters and world, what of consequence actually happens in 'The Matrix Reloaded'? Is Smith possessing Bane the only thing which has a direct bearing on the third film? (and even that redundantly leads to Neo being blinded, a merely symbolic act since he can see just fine anyway with his magic powers). It's so monumentally convoluted and howlingly boring that it's quite difficult to keep your attention on that plot, or lack there of. It's often said when a sequel is bad that "you can just ignore it" and "the original is still there" and most of the time that is true. But the Matrix sequels do tarnish the original. There were mysterious elements of the first film that when explained and shown, just don't add up. I'd never noticed these problems before because I was too busy enjoying the first movie but after the sequels you can't pretend that it's not without some nonsense. Plus the idea that Neo is functioning as another layer of machine control, in a line of stooges, takes away from the rebel spirit he had in 'The Matrix' (though of course that one can just be ignored).

The problems start right away with a dream fake-out, where the original had clever reality fake-outs, Neo would wake up relieved he was still in th familiarity of the Matrix. Then we cut to a board meeting featuring bland characters from a now obsolete video-game you hadn't played, talking about the events from an animated short which you hadn't seen (because it came out just after the movie) and you now don't remember. I really hate that and I hated it again when it was done with 'Blade Runner 2049'. One of those characters, Jada Pinkett Smith's Niobe is forgettable and she just pulls this one determined/cross face throughout. Then we get our first proper fight scene but it looks so slow, poorly shot and badly edited. It doesn't further the plot at all, most of the fight scenes don't further the plot. They just appear at regular intervals to try and wake the audience up. Then we arrive in Zion and everybody seems utterly miserable to be there... the place everybody was saying was worth saving in the first film. I don't know how I imagined Zion but it wasn't this ludicrously vast, depressing steampunk kingdom, populated by bickering bureaucrats with new-age beads and incense. Then we're into the marital problems of a minor character and meet Commander Lock, a character so pig headed, it verges on mental derangement. After that it's go here to get that but meet this person who instead sends them to another place to meet somebody else who explains something in exhausting detail then off to another place etc roll credits.

'The Matrix' had a lot of practical FX and stunts and plenty of great location shooting (remember that rainy film-noir street at night when Neo gets de-bugged?). 'Reloaded' feels like it's entirely on a soundstage, I might be wrong but it looked like there were only 2 or 3 establishing location shots in the entire film. For a story which needs to be partly set in a claustrophobic hovercraft and subterranean tunnels, the scenes inside the Matrix should have been the chance for the film to open it's lungs and spread it's arms in the "real" world. Instead we get what seems like an hour long punch-up with Smith(s) confined to a tenement set that is clearly not real from the flat lighting, with CGI body doubles that looked awful 18-years ago. This sequence concludes with an overdubbed comedy bowling pin sound, oh dear, oh dear. The one part that comes close to being called "a highlight" is the exhilarating speed of the free-way chase. Even that was filmed on a set and the concrete walls all around make it obvious, plus it goes on so long it begins to drag. Then The Wachowskis can't help themselves by having the camera fly under and around moving vehicles in impossible ways to show you clearly that they are not real cars, instantly destroying any sense of danger they'd managed to build up. In a way 'The Matrix Reloaded' is better than I remembered, in that the bad stuff isn't nearly as bad but in another way its worse because every single thing is sub-standard and poorly executed. Watching this movie is like trying to concentrate on a dull lecture on a warm afternoon.

The Matrix Revolutions (2003)
'The Matrix Revolutions'
is instantly better than 'Reloaded' simply because things happen in it, they aren't things I like but there is an actual story progressing toward a conclusion. Remember in 'The Matrix' when Tank said that EMP was "the only weapon we have against the machines"? Well he was obviously lying because the humans also have "Guns. Lots of guns" and lots and lots and lots more guns... and rocket launchers... and robot suits. I simply cannot care about the huge, dumb mech battle despite all the technical effort they must have gone to, it makes no sense tactically. It's half an hour of shell casings flying everywhere as characters scream "Yeeeeaaargggh!". I'm kind of glad Jet Li turned down the role of Seraph because the Li-alike they did get Collin Chou is really cool, he's the only thing in the sequels that is genuinely badass. The exciting scenes of Niobe piloting the hovercraft made me wonder what that character could have been. Like a hot-shot, cocky, charismatic pilot in the Han Solo/Maverick mould but Jada Pinkett Smith doesn't have that spark. The Bane guy they get to mimic Hugo Weaving is fantastic. You'd know it was Smith without the script having to tell you. Lambert Wilson as The Merovingian continues to do his best Officer Crabtree from ''Allo 'Allo' impression, giving Neo and Trinity "a quick curse in the French long-wodge". 25-year old Clayton Watson does his best to play a 14-16-year old "Kid" but he looks frankly ridiculous.

Gloria Foster who played the Oracle in the first two films is sorely missed here, Mary Alice doesn't have that same sense of mischievous fun that made the Oracle scenes so worth watching. She just delivers her required lines of exposition and not much more. I blame the disorganised sprawl of these back-to-back sequels for not completing her relatively short scenes in one go. With the sequels I imagine it was more "make it up as we go". The moment when the heroes blast back into Zion to save the day with the EMP does really work in a cathartic Lando blasting out of the Death Star and shouting "Yee haw!" type of way. There is almost an attempt to make Commander Lock reasonable and present his opposing views with more validity but he still acts like such a d*ck about it. Then we have the last 30-minutes where they hope you are too caught up in the story to think about how a hovercraft can now straight out fly. Neo and Trinity's romance gave me all the feels at the end of 'The Matrix' but by the finale of this combined 5-hour boring slog through the sequels I felt nothing. I'd like to think the forthcoming 4th film will be a triumphant return to form but I really have my doubts.

I love the first Matrix film as much as you, for all the reasons you note. I don't think I dislike the sequels as much as you, though they're so problematic for me that I just pretend they don't exist. No fan edit can fix the number of plot and story elements that don't come together or make sense, and that mostly happens in Revolutions, tbh.

I THINK what they were going for is a deconstruction of the fable they built up in the first film. They just got in over their heads and weren't as good at it. Questioning what it is to be "the one", or even what a "win" would mean for humanity is interesting and tough. They seem to have succumbed to sequel-itis on all levels though, both making the philosophy overly dense and unbalanced (they never achieved a simplified Blue Pill/Red Pill scene the average filmgoer could "get") and making the action scenes so overly-complicated and with so many characters that they stop being exciting at a certain point.

I actually like quite a bit about Reloaded though, it's just that (as you say) very little is sown up in the film and it really depends on Revolutions to feel like anything of substance happened in it. That said, I think the action is a real highlight. The teahouse fight is often overlooked because it's very quick and subtle, but Colin Chou is an HK legend even though the West doesn't know him like Jet Li. Don Davis' taiko drums perfectly punctuates the fight as Neo and Seraph perfectly demonstrate three distinct styles as they literally move up three levels. The highway chase scene was filmed on a real, physical piece of freeway they built, and they built those walls because that's what sound barriers along California freeways look like. The staircase fight scene featured Yuen Woo-Ping, Chad Staheleski, Tiger Chen, and many of the best in the industry... A lot of martial artists regard it as one of the best fight scenes of all time. And I'd be remiss not to mention the absolute treasure that is Monica Bellucci. I don't think the Wachowskis sold her subtle, immortal contest with the Merovingian very well, but there are rich performances and dialogue there to dig into, not to mention the stunning way those scenes were filmed.

I'm sure the pros for Reloaded won't turn anyone around who just had to sit through those films ;) but I do think we might have been totally happy with the sequels (and then all the tie-ins would've remained relevant!) if only the ideas first introduced there were paid off in Revolutions rather than just piled on more and more and even contradicted. (I still cannot think of any logical reason why Neo has abilities outside of the matrix...) Maybe Matrix 4 will just retcon Revolutions? After all, Neo shouldn't even exist...

The teahouse fight is often overlooked because it's very quick and subtle, but Colin Chou is an HK legend even though the West doesn't know him like Jet Li. Don Davis' taiko drums perfectly punctuates the fight as Neo and Seraph perfectly demonstrate three distinct styles as they literally move up three levels.

Yeah it is a good fight scene but it's fairly pointless plot wise. Checking Neo is the One is a paper thin excuse for it to happen, removing it from the film would change nothing. Plus the setting looks a little like the dojo scene from M1 which magnifies how small the set is in comparison and how much it fails to live up to that sequence on every level, editing, direction, style, fun and story.

The highway chase scene was filmed on a real, physical piece of freeway they built, and they built those walls because that's what sound barriers along California freeways look like.

Yes they built it but it's not a location. It feels like exactly what it is, an endless loop on the same piece of tarmac. I've not been to California or driven on the roads but I doubt they have barriers up for 10-miles of straight road (10-ish-minute sequence at average 60 miles an hour). I'll give it a pass on that one though because it was 2003. People could easily do a perfectly motion-tracked CG backdrop for the chase that changed as the chase went on using their home laptop nowadays. Not having those barriers would probably have doubled the budget in 2003... then again if they hadn't spent all their time, money and ingenuity on the stupid "burly brawl" they might have been able to focus more resources on that chase.

I've always had the idea that if I ever did a "Matrix 2" fanedit, I'd start it with the freeway chase (somehow). Drop the audience right into the action and let the plot catch up. I had this Soulwax remix of 'Gravity's Rainbow' in mind for the music, if only I could make an instrumental version:

The bit at about 4-minutes were the music slows and then kicks up a gear would time beautifully with Trinity doing the wheelspin and driving back into the traffic. I do unreservedly love that moment.

I still cannot think of any logical reason why Neo has abilities outside of the matrix...) Maybe Matrix 4 will just retcon Revolutions? After all, Neo shouldn't even exist...

I'm okay with that. To do what he does in the matrix he must be physically wired up differently to other humans, so why not have other abilities. He does die in the real world in the first movie, then come back to life like Sleeping Beauty Jesus.

Assuming Neo (and Trinity) returning isn't like Smith returning, where he is just back with no explanation because they couldn't be bothered to offer one... I'm very intrigued to find out how they are going explain it. Maybe their consciousnesses are still uploaded in Matrix "cloud" somewhere, they only exist there and get downloaded to help the current crop of heroes. I'm also interested to see if they do something with the gaming Avatar thing, so your Matrix body isn't just the same but cooler, better dressed and wearing shades, it could be a different gender, or whatever. IIRC they had that in mind for Switch but just went for a bit androgynous.

^You and I are just looking for different things from the films I guess. The freeway scene was totally immersive for me, the barriers helping to make it feel real rather than trying to have some generic building backdrops. Criticizing that scene because they didn't allow them to crash SUVs all over a real freeway seems like an unrealistically high ask to me.

It's a much bigger issue that a film so intent on fitting complex explanations together has no explanation for why someone stops playing a videogame and then has freaking superpowers IRL. We go from Neo being a Christ-like messianic symbol in the first film because he wants to lead people on an exodus to the next "kingdom", essentially the real world. There is an in-world explanation for him breaking reality. In the sequels, it's a whole other ball game. We're just supposed to believe he is now a literal messiah? How? Why?

As near as I can tell, despite the movie dropping reams of exposition on religion, history, philosophy, psychology, and technology, there is literally nothing to explain this. No effort even made. The films are so over-written that I keep thinking I must have missed something, but all I've seen are wildly differing fan theories, none of which build on things the film actually said or showed. Compare that to Smith directly explaining his return, which I have no problem with.

But anyway, yes, the sequels are very flawed for any number of reasons, and I too am highly skeptical of yet another sequel being made these days to a beloved original from way too long back. Has that EVER worked out well?

- Reloaded came out in the second half of my first year of boarding school. I remember me and all my geeky mates piling onto the bus for the Saturday evening multiplex run, and seeing X2 and Reloaded on two consecutive weeks, in that order. Of course, in retrospect X2 is the superior film by far, but we mostly loved both at the time, and it felt like a particular turning point moment of geek culture taking over the mainstream. I remember me and some buds imagining how epic the inevitable Neo vs. Architect fight would be in the third movie, with the latter repeatedly rewriting reality mid-brawl. I'm not crazy about a lot of shakily edited MCU punching scenes, and would appreciate more graceful choreography and camera work, but the series does do a pretty great job of stuffing the super-battles with lots of little gadget/magic/powers moments that remind me of what I imagined that Architect fight would be like.

- Neo having powers in the real world is indeed puzzling, but I eventually figured he was just tapping into some wireless hardware all Machine-made humans had, but only his brain was eventually able to interface with. It's a stretch, but it works.

- One baffling thing about the sequels is how undercrewed the Neb is. They lose Tank due to an actor dispute and replace him with the much less charismatic Link, but then add exactly zero crew to make up for all their losses in the first movie. Shouldn't the ship bearing The One be fully crewed with pumped-up true believers, the best Zion has to offer?!

- No, freeways in the Bay Area (where the freeway was built, and a few shots show the actual San Francisco skyline in the background) don't have large concrete sound barriers other than brief bits here or there, but I think the scene actually does do a pretty good job of showing backgrounds changing from an urban core to an industrial section to the edges of another downtown.

- Reloaded may not set up much that pays off in Revolutions but I do think its second half, with the multi-team mission to the heart of the City, tied together by Morpheus' big speech, and then the WTF-ery of the Architect scene, is pretty thrilling as a narrative swerve unlike any other that readily springs to mind. Apart from the eerily quiet first half-hour, though, which I also enjoy to a degree, the rest of Revolutions is mostly just boring as hell.

- Finally, it's rarely remarked upon, but The Matrix is all about heroes attempting to unplug from a fake digital reality... and then the Wachowskis built an actual fake digital reality to entrap actual humans with The Matrix Online, which is, like, totally bonkers, man.

I too am highly skeptical of yet another sequel being made these days to a beloved original from way too long back. Has that EVER worked out well?

I haven't seen The Color of Money, or BR2049 despite owning it on Blu, but, if one ignores The Motionless Picture (which, boy howdy, do I ever!), The Wrath of Khan was 11 years after TOS ended, and The Mandalorian is a pretty decent follow-up to RotJ so far. And then, of course, one can squint and call The Mask of Zorro a sequel to Zorro films from decades before. Hope springs eternal! ;)

the barriers helping to make it feel real rather than trying to have some generic building backdrops.

I don't know how having more verity in the backdrops could be more generic than less verity but okay.

Criticizing that scene because they didn't allow them to crash SUVs all over a real freeway seems like an unrealistically high ask to me.

IIRC they were offered a real (nearly finished) highway construction to shoot on but they decided it would involve more effort than faking their own. Plus real cars have been known to have crashed in movies before the CGI era. 'The French Connection' for example had real driving the wrong way down a real road but Friedkin was a lunatic. The freeway chase is an great sequence but it could've been even better in a number of ways IMO.

- One baffling thing about the sequels is how undercrewed the Neb is. They lose Tank due to an actor dispute and replace him with the much less charismatic Link, but then add exactly zero crew to make up for all their losses in the first movie. Shouldn't the ship bearing The One be fully crewed with pumped-up true believers, the best Zion has to offer?!

Oh yeah never noticed that before. I'm not really sure why Link doesn't work as well as Tank, he serves the same function. Maybe it's the more comedic tone, where as the Tank actor was deadly serious. He didn't lack humour but we weren't laughing at him.

I can't believe I got through a rant about all the thing I hated about 'Reloaded' without mentioning the techno cave orgy wtf-ery.

A spirited discussion, gentlemen!
I don't know how having more verity in the backdrops could be more generic than less verity but okay.
(Gaith)- No, freeways in the Bay Area (where the freeway was built, and a few shots show the actual San Francisco skyline in the background) don't have large concrete sound barriers other than brief bits here or there,
I would imagine that they would've shown buildings, but very generic ones. The chase is IN the matrix, so it doesn't need to be in some recognizable location, like the Bay Area specifically, and I don't imagine they'd show the Transamerica Pyramid or whatever. Even the Mission Impossible movies film their scenes with massive destruction on decommissioned or purpose-built roads. You blow up a few SUVs on a road, you have to rebuild the whole stretch of road. I don't know the details of what real road the crew was offered, but it's boggling to me that anyone would blame them for choosing to film it the way they did. It's such a standout scene. Can you tell I have great appreciation for stunt teams? lol

- Neo having powers in the real world is indeed puzzling, but I eventually figured he was just tapping into some wireless hardware all Machine-made humans had, but only his brain was eventually able to interface with. It's a stretch, but it works.

That is one of the many explanations I saw bandied about online. Except that I didn't see any closeups in the film alluding to him having some wireless network control, and of course no dialogue to the effect. Then there's the fact that we've seen so much of how a physical connection to hardware is how this world works... I mean, if that's what people want to believe in order to enjoy the film, they can have it. It's just not enough for me.

- One baffling thing about the sequels is how undercrewed the Neb is.
This also bothered me. It's another case of sequel-itis, where no matter how great a victory the hero achieved in the first film, the sequel now shows that it didn't accomplish nearly as much as we were lead to believe. They still have to build up from being an underdog. I think the Wachowskis were leaning hard on the Jesus parallels here, trying to show Neo as having performed miracles and traveled all over "saving" people, but still not accepted by the broader populace.

I haven't seen The Color of Money, or BR2049 despite owning it on Blu, but, if one ignores The Motionless Picture (which, boy howdy, do I ever!), The Wrath of Khan was 11 years after TOS ended, and The Mandalorian is a pretty decent follow-up to RotJ so far. And then, of course, one can squint and call The Mask of Zorro a sequel to Zorro films from decades before. Hope springs eternal! ;)

I'm referring to when there was a single, much-loved film, then a long break without any follow-up before finally getting a sequel. The Color of Money fits, and I found it pretty underwhelming compared to The Hustler. The other examples don't fit except maybe Blade Runner 2049... which personally I really liked (especially TM2YC's edit) but I think has been widely regarded as a failure for everyone except critics, no? Other similar examples are Coming 2 America, Tron: Legacy, Finding Dory, Dumb and Dumber To, Basic Instinct 2, Wall Street- Money Never Sleeps, Independence Day: Resurgence.... you get the idea. Seems like in the past ten years or so, studios suddenly decided there was no expiration date on making a sequel. But lightning doesn't strike twice, especially not so much later.

Back
Top Bottom