• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

TM Productions Presents: FRIDAY THE 13th

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
friday_the_13h___official_fanedit_poster_by_thetmproductions-d4rm5bl.png

TM PRODUCTIONS presents to you one of the most horrifying films to hit Fanedit.org...

"YOU'RE ALL DOOMED!"

Original film name: Friday The 13th
New film name: FRIDAY THE 13TH
Film studio name: Paramount Pictures
Edit crew name: TM Productions
Date Original Film Was Released: May 9, 1980
Date Edit Was Released: March 2012
Original Runtime: 1hr 35min
New Runtime: 1hr 16min

Your intention for this fan edit: To create my own version of the film Friday The 13th. I wanted to show that the first film wasn't just a hockey mask because Jason WASNT THE KILLER. So I decided I would make it more of a mystery of what has been happening over the years at Camp Crystal Lake. And who is responsible for it. Ultimately leading up to the grand finale where the killer is revealed.

Your way to achieve your intention: New directions of scenes. edited dialogue. Less comedy. Color Correction. New Music. New credits sequences.

Cuts removed/added/extended:
-removed the entire opening with the boy and girl because it was just unnecessary.
-at the beginning I made Annie's character the first/opening kill. By fading in on her walking to the diner.
-moved the teens entering camp crystal lake to after Annie is killed
-added new after effects title after Annie's death and a new opening credits sequence
-added the song 'Paint It Black' by Rolling Stones over the opening credits
-removed Alice and Steve awkward flirting scene
-removed Ned and Brenda's arrow scene
-removed the swimming scenes
-removed the snake scene
-remove the police officer scene
-trimmed down Marcie's bathroom scene A LOT
-removed Tom Savini's AWFUL stunt double of Brenda
-reworked the ending scene a little
-added new end credits + 'Paint It Black'

Fan edit details: 16:9 Widescreen, 5.1 audio.

Hardware and software information: Sony Vegas Pro 10, Dvd Architect Pro, HCenc, DGIndex PgcDemux, Virtual Dub, Avisynth, Windows 7

Time needed for the edition: 1 Month

Persons involved: One.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moved the thread to the "Firstlings and Further Approval" section, as this edit hasn't been approved yet.

But I'm glad you started a new thread for it. :)

And anybody who wants to see this edit before it's up on the site would be wise to send a private message to TM Productions. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to hook you up.

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Moved the thread to the "Firstlings and Further Approval" section, as this edit hasn't been approved yet.

But I'm glad you started a new thread for it. :)

And anybody who wants to see this edit before it's up on the site would be wise to send a private message to TM Productions. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to hook you up.

Thanks for moving it. I meant to put it in that section haha:D

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on completing your first edit TM.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's my review:

Audio and Video: Audio and video are on par with the source material. The 5.1 English audio track was used. No complaints. 5/5

Audio Editing: The only complaint I have is that the song "Paint It Black" that was used for the opening credit sequence seems to just cut out. You can hear it start to fade out for about a second, but then it's gone. It's not a big issue, but slowly fading the song out until you can't hear it anymore would have been better. 4.5/5

Video Editing: No complaints here. I do have a question though. At the very end of the movie, when the camera is slowly panning on the lake, we get a quick flash of Jason with his arm around Alice as he's about to pull her under just before fading into the end credits. I'm assuming this was intentional and not an error because it looks like you used an effect like you did when you hit the PLAY button on the menu. What was that about? 5/5

Entertainment Factor: I liked that you removed the flashback beginning, and the fact that you don't miss the other cuts that you made, but overall I found it on par with the original. 3/5

Presentation: The menus were nice, and I liked that you included little transition videos. The video boxes and title cards for the chapters in the Chapters menus could have been bigger though. I couldn't even read what the chapters were called, or really make out what images were in the boxes to give me a general idea of where the chapter would start. I also don't think that a SETUP page was necessary since there was only one audio track. Minor issues though. The only thing I really had a problem with is that you can't skip past the trailers that start when you pop the disc in. I tried hitting the menu button and the next chapter button, but that didn't work. I even tried the fast forward button but no luck either. 3.5/5

Overall Score: 21/25

https://images.fanedit.org/images/approved.png

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Here's my review:

Audio and Video: Audio and video are on par with the source material. The 5.1 English audio track was used. No complaints. 5/5

Audio Editing: The only complaint I have is that the song "Paint It Black" that was used for the opening credit sequence seems to just cut out. You can hear it start to fade out for about a second, but then it's gone. It's not a big issue, but slowly fading the song out until you can't hear it anymore would have been better. 4.5/5

Video Editing: No complaints here. I do have a question though. At the very end of the movie, when the camera is slowly panning on the lake, we get a quick flash of Jason with his arm around Alice as he's about to pull her under just before fading into the end credits. I'm assuming this was intentional and not an error because it looks like you used an effect like you did when you hit the PLAY button on the menu. What was that about? 5/5

Entertainment Factor: I liked that you removed the flashback beginning, and the fact that you don't miss the other cuts that you made, but overall I found it on par with the original. 3/5

Presentation: The menus were nice, and I liked that you included little transition videos. The video boxes and title cards for the chapters in the Chapters menus could have been bigger though. I couldn't even read what the chapters were called, or really make out what images were in the boxes to give me a general idea of where the chapter would start. I also don't think that a SETUP page was necessary since there was only one audio track. Minor issues though. The only thing I really had a problem with is that you can't skip past the trailers that start when you pop the disc in. I tried hitting the menu button and the next chapter button, but that didn't work. I even tried the fast forward button but no luck either. 3.5/5

Overall Score: 21/25

https://images.fanedit.org/images/approved.png

WOW! Thanks so much for that review!

With Paint it Black, I just could not find a natural way to fade it, so I do agree that that wasn't the best move.

The little ending thing was supposed to be an "added jump scare" because we all know of the scare with Jason coming out of the water, so I was trying to surprise people. It was based off of the shot of Ghostface at the end of Scream.

The DVD was one of the HARDEST PARTS for me. It was my first time using DVD Architect, so it was very confusing to use. I'm not sure what happened with not being able to fast forward through the intro, lol, I'll have to look at that.

Thanks so much for the approval, I really appreciate that :party:

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, and thread moved to True Fanedits.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM Productions said:
The little ending thing was supposed to be an "added jump scare" because we all know of the scare with Jason coming out of the water, so I was trying to surprise people. It was based off of the shot of Ghostface at the end of Scream.

Thanks for explaining that. It just seemed a little too noticeable to not be intentional. :lol:

TM Productions said:
The DVD was one of the HARDEST PARTS for me. It was my first time using DVD Architect, so it was very confusing to use. I'm not sure what happened with not being able to fast forward through the intro, lol, I'll have to look at that.

You did a great with the authoring otherwise so don't take it too hard. :)

TM Productions said:
Thanks so much for the approval, I really appreciate that :party:

No problem. Always happy to help. :)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking forward to this one TM... big fan of the F13th series, so I've now downloaded this and will let you know my thoughts as soon as I've had time to watch it :)

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Looking forward to this one TM... big fan of the F13th series, so I've now downloaded this and will let you know my thoughts as soon as I've had time to watch it :)

Great! Can't wait to see what you think.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched it tonight. Here's my review:

Video/Audio Quality - Top-notch.

Editing Quality - Well executed. Frantic Canadian mentioned one minor audio flaw but that didn't bother me. All the video cuts were well done also.

Entertainment Value - I personally think that the original Friday the 13th is as perfect as it could be. The film is still pretty much intact but the overall pacing does seem off to me now. This edit isn't all that different from the original film so it's a little difficult for me to rate it. While the editing was well done it doesn't really (in my eyes) create a whole new version of this classic film.

Fanedit rating of 7/10.
(Fanedit rating focuses on technical and creative criteria that pertain specifically to the scope and depth of changes made from the source material by the faneditor.)
Not much has really changed from the original film.

Movie rating of 9/10. (Original is 10/10.)
(Movie rating judges on traditional criteria of quality/enjoyment as if this were an original theatrical release being seen for the first time... or the millionth time...)

OVERALL RATING… 8/10

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gave this a watch last night....
I’ve been a big fan of the Friday the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] films ever since I saw the original film back when I was around 16 years old. Up until this point however, I had not seen a fanedit on any entry in the series. So I was pretty intrigued to watch TM’s cut of Sean S. Cunningham’s original classic.

I went into the edit knowing that it wasn’t an attempt to make “big” changes to the film. Indeed, TM’s version feels very much like a fine tuning exercise and for the most part the changes are very welcome ones.

By starting the film with Annie coming into town, thereby removing the whole sequence from 1958 where two promiscuous teenagers are brutally murdered, it actually benefits the film in creating more mystique around the Camp Crystal Lake legacy. Thus, Annie’s little part in the Friday the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] history now becomes a very fitting pre-credits scene.

Then we’re straight into the credits and to my surprise the use of the classic Rolling Stones track, “Paint it Black” works very effectively and seems to fit the mood of the film like a glove. Very good job on the added credits too, with a great looking font. Only downside would be the abrupt way the song is cut as the credits come to an end. A slow fade would have been far better I’m afraid.

As the film moves on after this, some of TM’s cuts actually improve the film more than I could have imagined. Scenes such as Steve Christy’s rather strange little chat with Alice which hints at some romantic relationship of sorts between them and the snake in the cabin are not missed at all. The trimming of Marcie’s scene in the bathroom just before she’s attacked also works a treat and is nicely edited. Only towards the end does TM take one step too far for my liking, which is when Brenda’s body is thrown through the window – I understand why TM trimmed the scene, but for me the edit feels unnatural and as if a frame of film is missing.

Picture and audio quality is excellent throughout and seemed to me to be on a par with the commercially available DVD version. 10/10

As far as the editing goes, I would give this 9/10. Nearly all the edits bar the couple I mentioned were very well executed, and for the most part are well judged decisions in relation to enhancing the pace and the purpose of the story.

Entertainment value – much like Neglify, I love the original movie and would probably score it a 9/10. I certainly had my doubts as to whether TM’s edit would be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with Cunningham’s original version, and whilst I suppose there’s an argument that not much has actually been changed here, I think there are enough substantial alterations on show to make the experience more than worth the trip. So, a well deserved 9/10 on this front.

Overall, I would congratulate TM on a very solid edit which turns out to be a respectful and fitting tribute to one of the all time classic slasher films. Final score 9/10

One final thing TM… I think the end credits were way too slow… maybe it would have been worth adding some more film credits, just to make it seem more professional?

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks so much for the review.

LastSurvivor said:
One final thing TM… I think the end credits were way too slow… maybe it would have been worth adding some more film credits, just to make it seem more professional?

I've realized after making my second edit, DREAM MANIAC, that I am absolutely horrible with end credits. I make them extremely slow for some reason haha! I'll need to work on that.

Top Bottom