• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

title replacment in premiere (prometheus/covenant)

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would like to change the Alien: Covenant title to just say Covenant. Also, I would like to remove the title scene of Prometheus and add the title to a different scene. I'm using premiere pro and so far have figured out how to mask out the letters. For the shots with david, the background shifts subtly up and down so I copied the frame before the letters fade in and shifted it up and down in photoshop to match the masked shots and used it as a background layer (I believe this is what you call a "clean plate"). For the space shots, I think I'll see what photoshop's content aware fill comes up with to create a clean plate.

Any advice for doing this better/easier?

The next step will be adding the new title "Covenant". I suppose I could just copy/paste the existing covenant fade in and center align it, but the letters feel too small. Maybe scale them up? or should I figure out how to recreate the effect myself and find the same/similar font? I've seen tutorials on how to cross dissolve text to get a fade in or color shift so I think I could work it out.

This seems like something other editors have probably done though so I'm hoping for some advice.

Here's a clip of how far I currently am with masking out the original title: [pw: fanedit]

Last edited:

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More info: I told my wife about it and while she doesn't have much premiere experience she is a photoshop expert and showed me better ways of masking out objects and using keyframes. So removing the title should be easier now.

As for creating a new title, I can either find a matching font or create one in illustrator and use keyframes to recreate the fade in/color shift.

I'll post again as I make progress in case it's of interest to anyone or someone has any other suggestions

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer Photoshop over Illustrator myself but my method to make the new title would be very similar to yours in concept. Try whatthefont.com if you haven't yet to identify the font, it may help.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More info: I told my wife about it and while she doesn't have much premiere experience she is a photoshop expert and showed me better ways of masking out objects and using keyframes.
Napoleon Dynamite GIF by Ben L

Take note young bachelor and bachelorette faneditors. The couple that fanedits together, stays together.....with more harmony anyway ;)

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Off topic " when you have been with your better half for as long as i have, you edit a lot...cut out and disregard the things you don't want to see or hear...its why we have been together so long." ..back on topic

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
new problem: as you can see in the clip above, the shot of space fades in then slowly zooms in while a ship crosses left to right in the distance. I took the first space image after the fade in and removed the letters and filling them in. Using keyframes I was able to replicate the zoom in and figured I could mask in the ship. However, the original shot has parallax, so the star field in the original footage becomes less aligned with my still image over time. Also, zooming on a still creates lower resolution. At this point I don't know if trying to replicate the original is worth the trouble. I think I'll just try to find a similar shot of space somewhere and use that instead. If anyone has a suitable shot they could share, I'd appreciate it!

Edit: found one! There's an almost identical shot near the beginning of Prometheus that is perfect. Next up, create the title.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's my title-less segment [pw: fanedit]

the ship flying across looks a little jittery in a few spots due to stretching the clip using time interpolation so I may try to smooth that out but I don't think it's too noticeable.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, turns out making small, very precise masks in premiere is either very difficult or an easy method eludes me. I think my attempt with the title turned okay considering. But I decided to redo the whole thing working mostly in photoshop. I started with the full title then erased parts of letters a bit at a time and exported the images as I went along. Then, I added the images to my timeline in premiere in succession with a slight overlap and added a fade in using keyframes. Turned out a little better I think and was much easier to accomplish. Also, I changed my mind about where I wanted to place the title.

pw: fanedit

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic...i'm looking to do my own Prometheus/Covenant edit in the future, so a tutorial would be helpful. If not i'll get you to do the title for me :ROFLMAO:

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pretty rough but here's a step-by-step of how I made my title for Prometheus. I'm quite new at all this, so I keep learning new tricks and simpler methods every time. I'm sure some of you could do this better and in fewer steps, but hopefully this is helpful to someone.

Top Bottom