• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Time for a Bond edit - Moonraker

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep, Madonna's Die Another Day is bad, no doubt. I still think Jack White and Alicia Key's "Another Way to Die" was even worse though. Man, I hate that song.

As for Moonraker though, I for one am very glad you're keeping the Shirley Bassey title song. I was listening to the soundtrack today and it is indeed used quite a few times by Barry during the excellent score.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My only real gripe with the score is during the cable car fight and the speed boat chase.

The cable car fight just had very plain music.

The speed boat chase used recycled music from Thunderball and slowed it down! I messed around with using music from Tomorrow Never Dies (the track White Knight) and it seemed to fit pretty well with the boat chase. David Arnold has a few tracks on the Brosnan soundtracks that feel like they would fit well with some of the older Bond movies.

Both parts of the film are supposed to be exciting, yet the music just kind of detracted me from feeling that way. I'll look into posting an unfinished version of the speed boat chase using the White Knight track and you guys can tell me what you think. I've been dragging my heels a little on getting all of the sound effects in order for that part.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a very unfinished version of the speed boat chase with new music:

Still need to do sound effects work, but you get a general idea of where I was going with it. The music doesn't feel too modern in my opinion for this, but some outside eyes would certainly help.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't watch. It says the video is private.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the new music! It doesn't sound too modern at all, it seems to fit the era perfectly. :)

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
1:21 explosion and trumpets would be better if they lined up. Same thing at 2"06, it is so close.

That must be the Tomorrow Never Dies soundtrack. I watched your clip twice, and for the first time I noticed parts of it it reminds me of "Por una Cabeza/Scent of A Woman tango"

Overall it worked great, very impressive.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
I watched your clip twice, and for the first time I noticed parts of it it reminds me of "Por una Cabeza/Scent of A Woman tango"

LOL, you're right! The part from 1:41 to 2:04. :)

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yea, the more I listen to it, the more I think it resembled some other title I cant think of.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was thinking the same thing about the explosion at 2'06. I can definitely work on lining that up a little better. Thanks for the input Dwight and wabid!

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent synchronization of music and action generally. On my system the music level was a little too loud and drowned the effects a little, but that's a personal decision and probably varies from system to system.

I hate cheesy back projection effects so much, they instantly take me out of a movie. I wish they could be cut and replaced with more long shots of the hang glider sailing over the jungle. Oh well. Nice work!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
Excellent synchronization of music and action generally. On my system the music level was a little too loud and drowned the effects a little, but that's a personal decision and probably varies from system to system.

Not your setup, I noticed it too, but since he stated this was an unfinished WIP I didn't pay much attention to that, just concentrated in the general feel of the music with the images.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:

I hate cheesy back projection effects so much, they instantly take me out of a movie. I wish they could be cut and replaced with more long shots of the hang glider sailing over the jungle. Oh well. Nice work!

Thank you for watching! The clip I posted is still a work in progress, so I haven't done anything with the sound effects yet. Fortunately the first part of the chase does not have music in the background, so I can steal some of the sound effects for later and don't have to worry about too many issues other than volume level. I had the music gradually get louder to drown out the original music for later on. I'm glad you guys think the music works with the scene. I didn't want to dive in to the tedious sound effects work if in the end the music didn't fit.

After I iron out this scene, I will start working on the cable car fight with Jaws and post that work-in-progress some time within the next week!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey musiced.... thanks for letting us see the clip.. all looked and sounded very good to me. The music works perfectly (which isn't surprising, as Tomorrow Never Dies is Arnold's best and most classic sounding Bond score imho) and once you completed all the sound effects work I'm sure all the levels will be fine.

This has certainly made me very excited about the edit - well, I was anyway, as I'm a huge Bond fan, but having seen the good work already, this is quickly looking to be one of my most anticipated edits of the moment.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
The speed boat chase used recycled music from Thunderball and slowed it down!

Not to nit-pick, but that music is actually the 007 theme, composed by Barry for From Russia With Love, and used also in Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, and Diamonds Are Forever as well as its final appearance in Moonraker. While I like the piece, I never thought it fit the scene as well as it should so its interesting to see it replaced.

You did a good job fitting the music to the scene, and while it directly quotes the Surrender theme of TND, it won't be a problem for those that aren't too familiar with Bond. Personally, I think the music is just too loud at the end and I don't really think it sounds enough like the rest of Barry's score for the film. Obviously its your edit so its your decision, and you did do a good job at synching it to the action.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
Not to nit-pick, but that music is actually the 007 theme, composed by Barry for From Russia With Love, and used also in Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, and Diamonds Are Forever as well as its final appearance in Moonraker. While I like the piece, I never thought it fit the scene as well as it should so its interesting to see it replaced.

You did a good job fitting the music to the scene, and while it directly quotes the Surrender theme of TND, it won't be a problem for those that aren't too familiar with Bond. Personally, I think the music is just too loud at the end and I don't really think it sounds enough like the rest of Barry's score for the film. Obviously its your edit so its your decision, and you did do a good job at synching it to the action.

You're right! It is the other 007 theme. The volume levels will be adjusted once I start sound effects work. The clip was just a really rough unfinished look at what I'm shaping the sequence to look and sound like. It's been a while since I really listened to the whole TND soundtrack as a whole. On my way home from work I was thinking about starting the boat chase off with a different part of the score and then jumping back into where I had it synched before. Basically I've still got a few more ideas up my sleeve with it.

Thanks for giving it a look and listen and for your comments!

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Hey musiced.... thanks for letting us see the clip.. all looked and sounded very good to me. The music works perfectly (which isn't surprising, as Tomorrow Never Dies is Arnold's best and most classic sounding Bond score imho) and once you completed all the sound effects work I'm sure all the levels will be fine.

This has certainly made me very excited about the edit - well, I was anyway, as I'm a huge Bond fan, but having seen the good work already, this is quickly looking to be one of my most anticipated edits of the moment.

Thanks for checking it out! I hope when the edit is done that it will please you Bond fans out there.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with Die Another Day. Give Pierce a better send off, please!!!!

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, here's what I've done with the speed boat chase with sound effects and attempting to sync up the music differently:

Let me know what you think!

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
1.39-1.50 or even 2.00 still sounds out of place to me, it sounds like a love theme and screams TND. However, your timings are now great. Any chance you can get the trumpets to match the boat jump better at 2.20? It works the way it is now anyway, so if not don't put too much effort into it.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great work, every second of it. Sounds like it was the original soundtrack all along, and the stylistic segue to the more romantic hang glider flying theme is perfect.

Top Bottom