• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Thundercats Exodus

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This fanedit restores the VHS version of Thundercats Exodus. Comprising the first four episodes of the original animated series, Thundercats Exodus features footage not contained on the DVD release. The retail DVD collects the episodes in their broadcast form, as a result of being edited for TV their runtime was shortened, particularly the first episode. This footage has now been restored. Several alternate music cues are used throughout, these have also been restored.
Several scenes from the broadcast version were also removed, mainly from the third episode "Berbils". Also, the double take on the cliffhangers, created by removal of the commercials, are no longer present.

film name: Thundercats Exodus
film studio name : Rankin/ Bass Warner Bros
Date Original Film Was Released : 1985
Date Edit Was Released : Nov 2011
Original Runtime : 89 mins
New Runtime : 80 mins

Cuts removed/added/extended :

• Thundercats "Lost Intro" (restored).
  • Thundercats talk on the space ship before fetching Lion-o (restored).
  • Tygra's line about the Eye of Thundera being a myth (restored).
  • Cheetara identifies the mutants by their ship insignias (restored).
  • The mutants talk before boarding the Thunderctas space ship (restored).
  • Jaga confronts some reptilian mutants (restored).
  • Slithe threatens Lion-o in the sword chamber (restored).
  • Panthro talks about looking for a new planet to live on (extended).
  • Jaga piloting the ship to third earth (extended).
  • Loin-O trying to remember the contents of the suspension capsules before confronting the mutants (restored).
  • Wily Kit and Wily Kat fight the mutants before they transport back to their ship (restored).
  • Scene with the mutants exploring third earth in their ship prior to meeting Mumm-Ra (removed).
  • Sub-plot about the Gigantors and the Trollogs from "Berbils" (removed).
  • Mid episode cliffhangers (removed).
  • Unecessary start and end credits (removed).
  • Footage of Panthro using his nun-chucks (restored). Edited out of the UK episodes but present on the DVD, 99% of the removed "violence" has been edited back in.
  • 2 instances of misframing have been corrected.
  • "The Film Collection" ident added before the movie to match the VHS version.

Fanedit details :

* 4:3 NTSC
* English Mono Soundtrack
* Simple static DVD menu

Your intention for this edit:

* To restore the VHS version of Thundercats Exodus I grew up watching in the best quality available to me.

Time needed for the edition: 6 months on and off.

Persons involved: Booshman

DVD cover:
Code:
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/2976268455/Exodus_dvd_cover.rar

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amazing :) Is this available already?

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's finished, but I wanted to see if there was an interest in the project before uploading it. I get on sorting that out now I know at least one person wants if. I'll PM you the links when they're up. Probably gonna take a while though, so be patient.

Also I want to mention, that as I don't have a VHS player or my copy of Exodus on VHS with me in China, so I've used other sources for the deleted footage I've added back in. I've cleaned it up and recoloured it so it looks quite good. Unofrtunately the footage was interlaced and saved as progressive, so I have no way of de-interlacing the footage. This isn't a particularly noticeable and I don't think it will ruin anyone's viewing experience, but I thought I'd let you know.

felipemeyer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm interested on that project too :)

But... What are these sources you mention? You didn't use a comercial source owned by you, but you own a similar source stored in another place, is that it?

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I own the VHS, but its back in England. I managed to get a full VHS rip via torrent some time ago, so I used the audio from that as it was good quality, and discarded the video as the resolution was low. I got the deleted scenes from a Thundercats website quite a while ago, which were better in picture quality, but the audio wasn't very good. So the unreleased footage is a combination of theses sources and the rest is from the DVD release.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You'll have to get a hold of your VHS tape and use that. The rule is you have to use your own commercially-released source, not merely own the source.

felipemeyer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If this VHS-rip is derived from the same commercial release you own, i guess you could bend the rules a little (but since i'm a newbie, it's very probable that i'm wrong :p), but those deleted scenes would really be a problem. There's no one who could get a hold of your copy and rip it for you?

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe go on Amazon and order another copy of the tape? Shouldn't go for much, I think.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Presev works a bit different than FE, so I'm not exactly sure what the answer is here. If you need more information on the rules, please send a PM to AvP.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't want to discuss this further than Frink did, but boosh does own the source. It's just in England, and he isn't.
Furthermore, Mark, several edits exist that use non-commercially available sources.
I'm pretty sure AvP will greenlight this.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would have been interested but after watching a few of the episodes I gave up while Lion-o was undertaking the trials and traded in my box sets about 2 months ago.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
You'll have to get a hold of your VHS tape and use that. The rule is you have to use your own commercially-released source, not merely own the source.

The rules state "Fanedit.org supports the rights of the copyright holders, therefore it is FE policy that when commercially available sources are available, Faneditors must own a commercially available source for that material at equal or greater resolution in order for the edit to be listed on www.fanedit.org. Viewers who download fanedits should likewise own the source material listed when commercially available." As I mentioned in my previous post, own a commercially available source for all of the material in the edit.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
I would have been interested but after watching a few of the episodes I gave up while Lion-o was undertaking the trials and traded in my box sets about 2 months ago.

That was the highlight of the series for me, and ended the arc Loin-O being the boy in a mans body, to becoming a true leader. If the show had ended there, which it pretty much did in the UK, then it would have gone out on a high note. Anything after Thundercats Ho The Movie is pretty skippable for me. There are some decent episodes though. Ones without the Lunatacs!

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seems how this exists in VHS form, it's moved to here.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
booshman said:
That was the highlight of the series for me

The highlight for me was Tygra getting hooked on addictive hallucinogenic fruit. Best episode ever!

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
The highlight for me was Tygra getting hooked on addictive hallucinogenic fruit. Best episode ever!

"What in the cats eyed cosmos?!"

My favourite episodes are "Excalibur" and "Sword in a Hole". Mumm-Ra is awesome in Excalibur pretendidng to be King Arthur, and Sword in a Hole has my favourite Thundercats character in it, Captain Shiner.

"Fond Memories" is great too, where Lion-O fights his evil doppelganger.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've noticed an error with the video. It's only one frame, but it's going to require a new encode nad then a rebuild of the DVD. As a result the upload is going to be delayed, I'll update when it's done.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I finally got this uploaded to RS. Check the usual places for it, or PM if you have trouble locating the links.

Top Bottom