• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ThrowgnCpr's guide to prepping a HD edit in Vegas (ripping & converting from Blu-ray)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't scoured Craigslist for these, but a new external at newegg is ~$100 USD. You can find new offbrand external drives on eBay new $30-$50, and many used decent name brands for less than that. Internal drives for a desktop are much cheaper.

If looking for an external, and used, I'd probably keep a $50 USD cap.

All that said, I have no experience with the performance on external BD drives.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use externals exclusively as my internal bd-w/r drive doesn't seem to work right on windows 10.
I live in a suburb of a pretty large metro area and I see externals for as cheap as $20. Like throw said, planning for around $50 is a good way to get one without hunting too hard.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
windows 10

xhss9.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like windows 10. It's more an issue with having a computer that is 3-4 years old with a drive that the company hasn't updated a driver for.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cheers, guys! Good to know (though I have to translate that to UK currency ;))

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I like windows 10. It's more an issue with having a computer that is 3-4 years old with a drive that the company hasn't updated a driver for.

yeah, driver issues are a pain. I personally hate Win10. I have had terrible experiences with it on multiple machines. But I say go with whatever works for your hardware + OS.

Anyway, I should note that this tutorial is very outdated. It's still quite functional, but my methods have evolved slightly in the last couple years. I will update this soon.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're using Craigslist, I'm sure you could trade certain services for an external drive.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow... great guide... but having a problem...

The avisynth script opens fine, but when I start saving it fails and says

"FFMpeg dll error reading frame = Error Unknown"  

I have the k-lite codec installed btw.  

Any ideas?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sorry for the slow reply. Please post your complete script

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got VegasPro 14 and I'm working on a movie with 'DTS-HD MA 24bit 7.1'. I've got it all extracted and have 8x wav files. As far as I can see Vegas only supports Stereo and 5.1 projects. So what do I do?

(Also I assume SR is "side right" and BR is "back right"??)

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't you do 5.1 project and pan side/back channels accordingly?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I've got VegasPro 14 and I'm working on a movie with 'DTS-HD MA 24bit 7.1'. I've got it all extracted and have 8x wav files. As far as I can see Vegas only supports Stereo and 5.1 projects. So what do I do?

Demux the disc again with eac3to.  Use this post as a guide to using the HD DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor GUI.  In the +Options box, add the -down6 switch; eac3to will downmix the 7.1 to 5.1 and output six mono WAVs.  From there, you can set up a 5.1 project as normal.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm assuming TM2YC is wanting to preserve the 7.1 mix? Those methods would down mix it.

Can you output 8 individual wav files and combine/mux them in post production?

My two gripes with Vegas are its video input incompatibilities and output restrictions.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Demux the disc again with eac3to.  Use this post as a guide to using the HD DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor GUI.  In the +Options box, add the -down6 switch; eac3to will downmix the 7.1 to 5.1 and output six mono WAVs.  From there, you can set up a 5.1 project as normal.

Awesome, thanks once again Captain :) . I wasn't sure if it was:

Code:
-down6

or

-down6 switch

but the former did the trick (the other sounded a loud klaxon :D ). I've got my 6 wavs now. I'm curious how that function operates. Does it mix all 8 together, into 6 new channels, or just downmix the four rear/center channels, or something else?

DigModiFicaTion said:
I'm assuming TM2YC is wanting to preserve the 7.1 mix? Those methods would down mix it.

Sorry, I should have been clear. I wanted to downmix them, although being able to import 7.1 into Vegas somehow would have been another option.

By the way, would adding...

Code:
-down2

...output a stereo downmix? If not is there some other 'Options' command that would?

EDIT: I tried and it does appear to produce two L and R wavs but is that method correct?

Plissken1138 said:
Can't you do 5.1 project and pan side/back channels accordingly?

Hmm not sure. So pan the side channels to the sides of the little box (pictured below) and when I output to 5.1 they should get mixed 50-50 into the front and rear? Sorry if I'm making no sense ;) .

surroundpannerwindow-track.gif

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
when I output to 5.1 they should get mixed 50-50 into the front and rear?

Yep, that's what I had in mind. It should mix 50-50 if you pan it exactly in the middle of the sides. Captain's method works too, and it's less hassle, but I'm not sure how it downmixes or which channels into which, never tried it, but I'm guessing it mixes evenly throughout. Now, when I think of it,  with the box you have more control how it mixes into left, right and surrounds, in case you want to experiment with it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I'm curious how that function operates. Does it mix all 8 together, into 6 new channels, or just downmix the four rear/center channels, or something else?

It remixes only the surround channels.  The others remain the same.

EDIT:  Sorry. I missed the edited part of your post.

TM2YC said:
By the way, would adding...

Code:
-down2

...output a stereo downmix? If not is there some other 'Options' command that would?

EDIT: I tried and it does appear to produce two L and R wavs but is that method correct?

Yes, it's correct, but -down2 still functions only for legacy reasons.  Nowadays, one can choose between -downStereo and -downDpl.  The latter is a DPL2-compatible downmix.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey all! New to ripping and editing blu rays and having a bit of trouble. I've ripped the blu using DVDFab and am now trying to use VirtualDub. It will say it's opening the .avs file and then it says (I had to try a few times because it would almost immediately shut down) "AVI: Avisynth detected. Extended error handling enabled." Here's the code:
Code:
DirectShowSource ("D:\OCEANS_ELEVEN\Source\OCEANS_ELEVEN.ts", fps=23.976)

I've been searching all over to get some kind of a fix. I also tried converting the .ts file to .mkv using MKVToolNix, same story. I've also installed K-Lite Codec Pack (I didn't futz with the installation settings, so maybe I did something wrong there?). I saw that one person tried installing VirtualDub 1.9.11 instead of 1.10.4, which I initially tried, so I tried switching to that, still no dice. I am on Windows 10, and my perusing here has led me to think that might have its own bugaboos to contend with. Any ideas? Thanks!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"FluxCapacitorFluxing" are you just trying to make a base source file? What NLE are you trying to use? If you're looking to make an mkv file I'd suggest using makemkv. It's free and will get you what you need without multiple steps. Also, I thought dvdfab could make an mkv file?

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"DigModiFicaTion" Yes, going by the tutorial I used tsMuxeR to get the .ts file, and then I made the .avs file to open with VirtualDub so I could get an AVI. I got the impression that that would give me a better file in the end. If I won't lose any video quality then I'd certainly be up to try makemkv--it seemed like that was becoming more in vogue for blu ripping. And I'll be using Vegas Pro 13.

Thanks!

Top Bottom