• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ThrowgnCpr's guide to prepping a HD edit in Vegas (ripping & converting from Blu-ray)

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like an utter clown even asking this, but I'm stumped again.

How exactly do you run eac3to? Opening the application just gives me a flash of a black progress box before it disappears again.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No worries. eac3to isn't the most straightforward thing if you haven't used it before. By itself is just a command line tool. You need to download and use the GUI for it. Scroll down to More information and other downloads:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/eac3to

and grab the "Eac3to and More GUI"

IIRC, you have to place the GUI in the same folder as your eac3to installation, and then set the program paths on the front page of the GUI

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And it's moving again. Thanks man. That talking pony you ate made a noble sacrifice.

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dammit, it's me again. I'm trying to extract audio using BeSweet (2-track AC3 cause they're deleted scenes) but I've done something wrong clearly. I've set the input and output, but the interface below (where I'm supposed to select stereo wav) is nowhere to be seen. I expect I'm missing something. I did download the software from a different soure as the op links no longer work. Sorry to trouble you again mate, but I need advice if possible.

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks as always for the help man. I cannot get BeSweet to work for me though. I've managed to get a few .wavs out of it but never multiple channels. Curious to see your other method when you get a chance, but I'll keep playing with this in the mean time.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
henzINNIT said:
Thanks as always for the help man. I cannot get BeSweet to work for me though. I've managed to get a few .wavs out of it but never multiple channels. Curious to see your other method when you get a chance, but I'll keep playing with this in the mean time.

see the eac3to section of my DTS instructions in the first post. Just do that for the AC3. I don't have access to my editing machine at the moment, but I can supply screenshots soon if you're having trouble.

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
henzINNIT said:

see the eac3to section of my DTS instructions in the first post. Just do that for the AC3. I don't have access to my editing machine at the moment, but I can supply screenshots soon if you're having trouble.

I still am having trouble I'm afraid. I'm not sure how to apply the same steps as the DTS for the AC3 files, extracting the core doesn't work. I've tried a few different things. I'm guessing you should set the file type to wavs and run the command line without ticking any of other options. I'm getting mixed results. The audio for one of them came out as L and R tracks (though seemingly identical) okay, then another one I tried appears to have created wavs that are about 5 times too long and are super slowed down. Not even sure how that one happened.

I do also have a question about the audio tracks in general. I have successfully gathered FR, FL, C, LFE, SR, SL wavs for the full films I've ripped, but I have not worked with this many tracks before. Do you have any advice for a novice on how to order/layer these correctly in Movie Studio, especially in regards to mixing those sections with the footage I have that only seems to come in stereo? I'm using a small piece of trailer footage that is in 5.1, but apparently all the deleted scenes I'm using are a simple 2 track affair (unless I use the dutch language version... which is not helpful lol).

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Extracting the core is no longer necessary.  The dcadec decoder now comes with eac3to; it decodes all kinds of DTS well, including DTS-HD MA.  For maximum quality, decode the whole stream.  (I finally got round to updating my own guide today.)

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I originally posted in the fanediting software forum but since I ended up using ThrowgnCpr's guide (After giving up with trying to do this on a mac), I figured it's better I post this here. (Not trying to be that a-hole newb who bumps every thread. Just trying to post where things belong.) Anyhoo, started following the guide, but like fishing while drunk, it wasn't long before I hit a snag.

Using the first step, I used DVDfab to copy the BD to disc. Problem? I didn't seem to get all those pretty little m2ts files. Instead, when I went to add the files in TSMuxer in the next step, in the BDMV>PLAYLIST folder I have only a single .mpls file. At the same time, in the BDMV>STREAM folder, I have a single .m2ts file that appears to be the entire movie. At first I thought it was because I'm using DVDFab in free mode, but people in the thread says the method works just fine with the free version...

Thoughts, anyone?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
chances are, the blu-ray folder contains a bunch of short m2ts files that are linked via a playlist.  We are going to get these into one file.

Since you already have one file, just skip ahead to the next step.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Since you already have one file, just skip ahead to the next step.

::Starkiller Base-sized face-palm::

Heh. Thanks Frink, and +1. 

So, okay, unless I'm missing something (And I usually am) that means it's on to converting it to MKV using MKVmerge, or I could live dangerously and just skip that part, leaving it as an .m2ts and going straight to it to .avi in virtualdub...?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I fixed the broken images (moved everything from photobucket to the fanedit server). I will try to update the guide over the holidays, since I need to prep some more files for the consecution project.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a very helpful thread. For my Batman Forever edit, I’m hoping to get the blu-ray of the film so I can release my edit in the best quality. Just one thing, what is required to get Blu-rays to work with your laptop? I have a Hewlett-Packard 64-bit laptop that I use to do my projects.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You will need a Blu-ray optical drive to read the disc. I don't know the specs on your laptop, but a Blu-ray drive is not standard on most laptops.  So, you will probably need to get an external Blu-ray disc drive that connects via USB.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just looked up “external blu-ray disc drive for laptop” and I found a few interesting results. Thanks! :D

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[quote="Motley']
Just looked up “external blu-ray disc drive for laptop” and I found a few interesting results. Thanks! :D
[/quote]

Craigslist, OfferUp and LetGo are great places to find external blu ray drives for pretty cheap.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ that, and with the holidays, you'll probably find a pretty good deal at newegg, tigerdirect, or amazon.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
[quote="Motley']

Craigslist, OfferUp and LetGo are great places to find external blu ray drives for pretty cheap.
[/quote]

I'm also thinking of getting an external blu-ray drive at somepoint. Out of curiosity, what would you say is a good price to keep an eye out for, or "cheap"? And are there any particular advantages or disadvantages with certain types or makes?

Cheers.

Top Bottom