• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ThrowgnCpr's guide to prepping a HD edit in Vegas (ripping & converting from Blu-ray)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is a brief rundown of my steps for editing HD.  I will expand and add screenshots for everything soon.  Please note, this requires a lot of hard drive space.  You may want a dedicated drive for your edit.  Additionally, because I am working with lossless HD video, you will need a relatively powerful computer.  This may affect your decision to edit in 720p vs. 1080p.  Instructions for resizing are included below.

Tools you will need for this tutorial:

Ripping the Movie:

• Rip the Blu-ray disc to my HDD with DVDFab
ThrowGuide_HD_edit_01Fab.jpg

Things to note with DVDFab.  Make sure you are using the "Copy" section, NOT "Ripper." We want to get the disc folders on our HDD, not some shitty compressed file. In the example above, I am just extracting the main movie.  If you want multiple videos off the disc, use the "Full Disc" option. Set the Target to a folder on your computer, otherwise it will expect you to insert a blank BD when ready. In the example above, I removed all subtitles, and chose the main DTS-HD audio.  We will need an extra step later to get the core file out of the audio, but I have found DTS to contain cleaner channels than AC3, so I usually go with that option.  The next step is demuxing/muxing the movie from the Bluray folders to an *.m2ts file

• Get the movie file from the Blu-ray folders on my HDD using TSmuxer.  output the file to a *.m2ts.

chances are, the blu-ray folder contains a bunch of short m2ts files that are linked via a playlist.  We are going to get these into one file.  On the Input tab of TS-Muxer, click the "Add" button, and navigate to the playlist folder on in the BD directory: yourdisc -> BDMV -> PLAYLIST -> select the file.  This will append all the small files in the disc structure so that you can output a movie.  Even though you didn't copy some audio/subtitle streams, they may show, so unclick all the tracks you dont want/need (note, you only need the video file, here VC-1, for this step.  We will get the audio later).  Set a file name & location in the output section (keeping the TS muxing selection), and click "Start Muxing." You now have an uncompressed video file from your Blu-ray disc with the video stream.

ThrowGuide_HD_edit_02tsmuxer.jpg

the next step may not be necessary.  Essentially, it just puts the audio and video streams (unchanged) into a different container (mkv).  Feel free to skip it and in the next step alter your avisynth script to have the extension *.m2ts instead of *.mkv.  If it doesn't work, use the next step to change into an *.mkv container.  You've been warned :scared:

• Change the container to an *.mkv.  I think I used MKVmerge for this (will confirm when I can check at home and fill in more details)
* for all of the above steps, there is no re-encoding, its just demuxing  the streams and remuxing back into different containers * Next steps  are to convert it to a lossless (lagarith codec) AVI for editing *

Getting the video ready (converting to lossless AVI) for editing:

• Write an avisynth script to open the MKV in virtualdub.  Your script should look something like this:
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("C:\YourDirectory\YourVideo.mkv", fps=23.976)
  • Write that script in Notepad, and save as type "All Files" and put .avs extension on your filename
  • Open that *.avs file in virtualdub.  The video should open nicely.
  • Tell virtualdub you don't want to include audio (we will handle that later). click on Audio -> NO AUDIO
  • Set the compression to lagarith.  click Video -> Compression, and choose lagarith. Click on configure, to set some options for the lagarith codec.  Since this tutorial is for Sony Vegas editing, and Vegas requires an RGB colorspace, under "Mode" select RGB. Leave all other options here unchecked.
  • If you are doing a 1080p edit, there is nothing else you need to do in virtualdub.  If you want to work in 720p, add a filter to resize.  Click on Filters.  Choose resize filter.  under settings, resize to 1280 x 720
  • Export *.avi file.  Click on File -> Save as AVI... this will be a big file.

Extracting the original audio:

Here we will extract audio from our Blu-Ray folder using tsMuxer.  open tsMuxer, and open the movie file using the same steps as we did for the video: click the "Add" button, and navigate to the playlist folder on in the BD directory: yourdisc -> BDMV -> PLAYLIST -> select the file. Again, uncheck all the streams except the audio file you are interested in. However, this time, instead of using the "TS muxing" option, we are going to select "Demux." Note in this example, I have both DTS-HD and AC3 checked so that I can explain working with either scenario.  You only need to extract one of the streams and use the appropriate section under converting audio below.

ThrowGuide_ExtractOriginalAudio.jpg

When it completes, you will have either an AC3 or DTS file on your hard drive.  I am assuming this is a 5.1 (or greater) surround sound file.  If it is a stereo (2.0) AC3, skip to the last option under converting the audio.

Getting the audio ready (converting to individual mono WAV files) for editing:

I am experimenting with streamling this step. All formats and steps might be able to be handled by the method proposed by reave here. Until properly tested proceed with the steps below - which depend on the source format (AC3 surround vs. DTS surround vs. AC3 stereo). EDIT NOTE: The Audiomuxer method proposed by reave produces some weird changes in bit depth and bit rate.  This may be acceptable, but I suggest sticking with the methods I propose below, for unaltered quality.

if -> 5.1 AC3 Source file

If your extracted audio file is a 5.1 AC3 file, we will split into 6 mono WAV files with one step using BeSweet.  Open BeSweet, and if prompted choose the GUI interface (not the wizard). The first time you open BeSweet, you may have to tell it where BeSweet.exe is - the first line on the interface.  If you installed BeSweet as I instructed at the beginning, it should be in the same program files directory. For input, choose your AC3 file.  For output, enter a file name, and choose wav as the output.  On the interface, choose "Six Waves" as your Output Type, then click on the green "AC3 to WAV" button when you are ready.  It will create 6 mono wav files, and label them with the appropriate channel. Identifying them will be important when we load each WAV file into our Vegas timeline.

ThrowGuide_BeSweet_51AC3_to_6MonoWAV.jpg

when complete, your directory should look like this:

ThrowGuide_BeSweet_6monoOutput.jpg

You are now ready to edit in Vegas!!  Skip the other 2 audio input options and proceed to the step entitled "Loading the project in Sony Vegas"

if -> 5.1 DTS Source file

If your extracted audio file is a 5.1 DTS file, we will split into 6 mono WAV files using Tranzcode. First though, we need to extract the core file.  To do that we will use eac3to.  My least favorite piece of software for this whole process, but if you follow these steps, you should have no problems...

Open eac3to.  The first time you open it, you may have to set the Program Paths.  The only important one for this process is the eac3to.exe path.  Now to add the file: On the Paths/Sources tab, click on "Add Source File(s)" and choose your *.DTS file:

ThrowGuide_eac3to_step01.jpg

Next, click on the "Eac3to Audio" tab. Under "Input File(s) or Folder" choose your DTS file from the drop-down.  Enter a filename, and choose the .dts output extension. Under the "Misc" section, check "Extract the Core Of A DTS-HD Or 7.1 Track."  You will notice that a bit of code is added to the command line box at the bottom each time you do one of these steps.  This is all you need to do. Now click on "Run Command Line (Tab Specific)."

ThrowGuide_eac3to_step02.jpg

The program will run, and output a *.dts file with just the core.  Now we can separate this into 6-mono wav files using Tranzcode (super easy!!). Open Tranzcode, select your input file, and choose the option under "Output Channels" for "6 Mono Wav."  Click Run to execute.

ThrowGuide_tranzcode.jpg

when complete, your directory should look like this:

ThrowGuide_tranzcode_6monoOutput.jpg

You may notice that the filesizes for the mono WAV files produced with tranzcode are almost twice the size as those produced by BeSweet.  Very good observation!!  Actually, the software doesn't have anything to do with it, as each creates a lossless mono PCM WAV file for each channel. However some of the specifications from the input file are copied over, most importantly bit depth.  In this case, the DTS for Terminator 2 was a much higher quality file than the AC3 file.  Bit depth was 32bit on the DTS, while it was 16bit on the AC3.  Many people won't notice this difference, but it is an improvement in quality.  Also, just a side note, I have noticed that DTS tracks have better channel separation than AC3.  This may have just been for specific films I have tested, but it is something to note. If it means anything to you, I always try to work with a DTS track over an AC3 sourced file.

Anyway, you are now ready to edit in Vegas!! Skip the other audio input options and proceed to the step entitled "Loading the project in Sony Vegas"

if -> 2.0 AC3 Source file

If your extracted audio file is a 2.0 AC3 file, we will convert to a stereo WAV file with one step using BeSweet. This is an easy one, and really you should only be working with the 2.0 AC3 for 2 reasons:

1. You don't want to hassle with surround editing. A single stereo track is good enough for you. OR
  2. You are editing a film that ONLY has a stereo track.  This may be an older release or something obscure, and your stuck with this option.

At any rate, the process is similar to the 5.1 AC3, in that we are going to use BeSweet, except we will change the output option from "Six Waves" to "Wave-Stereo" See above for more details if the image below is self-explanatory enough.

ThrowGuide_BeSweet_StereoOutput.jpg

You are now ready to edit in Vegas!! Proceed to the step entitled "Loading the project in Sony Vegas"

Loading the project in Sony Vegas:

Believe it or not, Sony Vegas does have a smart rendering system (it doesnt need to reencode untouched frames) and it works quite well with lagarith encoded AVI files, the trick is the properties of your input file, project settings, and render settings ALL HAVE TO BE THE SAME. It is good to set them correctly anyway, so you don't get any weird frame blending issues or other problems, so for this tutorial I am going to show settings for 1080p.  If you were editing in 720p, everything would be the same, except your project settings for dimensions would be 1280 wide by 720 high.

Important information that you need to know for your files includes:

• video dimensions (width and height)
  • video video frame rate
  • video pixel aspect ratio (aka PAR)
  • video field order
  • audio - number of channels
  • audio sampling rate
  • audio bit depth

You can get all this information by using MediaInfo.  If installed properly, you should be able to right click on your file, in windows folder and select MediaInfo.  This will display all the properties for the file.  Do for your lagarith AVI video. Either jot this information down somewhere, or leave the MediaInfo window open as you open Sony Vegas.  

Open Sony Vegas!!!!

Click on the Project Properties button on your toolbar:

ThrowGuide_VegasPropertiesButton.jpg

On the Video tab choose the appropriate template (don't worry, we can customize if needed).  Since I am working in 1080p, the template name I want to choose is: "HD 1080p-24p (1920x1080, 23.976 fps).  This screen is where you want to match the video settings to your video clip. All the default settings are appropriate for this example edit.  Frame rate is 23.976, typical for film (some of you in the UK may have a 25 fps video), field order is "progressive," hence the "p" part of 1080p, and the pixel aspect ratio is 1.0000 (square) - none of that weird anamorphic crap that DVD formats require for widescreen.

ThrowGuide_VegasPropertiesVideoDetails.jpg

Now click on the audio tab. This is where you need to worry less about input files and smart rendering, and more about what your output format is going to be. The important thing here is to change "Master bus mode" to 5.1 Surround (unless you want to edit and export stereo).  I am keeping the sampling rate at 48,000 and bitdepth at 16 bit - so I can use this track for DVD as well as AVCHD. If you can handle higher quality files, go for it

ThrowGuide_VegasPropertiesAudioDetails.jpg

Click OK to accept all changes and close the project properties window.  Now to add the video and audio tracks to our timeline...

more details coming soon. stay tuned...

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This guide is very incomplete and roughed out for now. I will fill it out and add screenshots and details this weekend when I can get in front of my editing machine. Stay tuned.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome idea Throw! Might want to fix the "please not" at the beginning, however :p

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol, fixed. That's what I get for multi-tasking. Anyway, will add to it tomorrow :)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please don't let this thread end like other guides have.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
awesome ! this is a link i'm holding onto. and eventually ScreenGrabbing.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should be able to use AnyDVDHD for step 1 as well, and I don't think it's always necessary to have the pro version of DVDFab. Pretty sure I got my ROTF on my HDD using DVDFab, but I've never had the pro version.

And, in cases where the movie is already one file, there shouldn't be a need to mux it I wouldn't think.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevinicus said:
And, in cases where the movie is already one file, there shouldn't be a need to mux it I wouldn't think.

For some reason, avisynth script was not working with m2ts file, however when I changed the container it worked fine. I was going to add a note that that step may not be necessary. At anyrate, you will still need to demux and mux from Blu-ray folders.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes :)

EDIT: added info on DVDfab & TS-muxer. more info coming soon

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
w00t! to dvdfab. it's all i use for ripping. tried using AnyDvd one time a long while back. couldn't figure it oot.
+1 to the update too. i'm following this thing like people standing behind you in the checkoot lane at walmart . . . . very closely.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol at "checkoot." I guess that's a Canadian Walmart :p

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bump.

eagerly anticipating the audio section. i decided to go ahead and redo my Lebowski edit in HD. i watched through it the other day with a couple HUGE Lebowski fan buddies of mine and i noticed a coupe little clippings i need to fix. so i figured, why not just start over in HD. i've edited this movie so many times that it shouldn't take long (because this is the movie i'ved learned everything with, from the guides here to youtube Vegas tutorials).

a friend and i started saying "oot" and "aboot" all the time after watching the South Park movie. years later i learned Canadians actually do stay that. it blew my mind.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
will try to get audio stuff up this weekend. Sorry, I've not been too active on the forum. Life & work have been far too busy lately :-/

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
life gets in the way for everyone.
my own project list (edits and other stuff) can attest to that.
aboot the only thing i seem to accomplish with any consistency is making sure the couch doesn't suddenly hit the ceiling.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I get very jittery .avi files when doing this. Note: I did not change the file to a mkv before plugging it into virtualdub.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
as I mentioned in first post, losless HD files take a lot of processing power. 1080p lagarith will probably play back choppy on your system. You can try downsizing to 720p.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I'm going to stick to previous methods. I know it's not ideal, but it's worked pretty well. Lossless avi seems pretty useless unless you have an absolutely monster computer or you are downgrading the resolution which I don't want to do. And separating the audio out and doing it separately has never given me anything that syncs up properly.

I may see if there are any other suggestions for the audio, but otherwise Ill go with what has worked for me.

Top Bottom