• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Thor: The Dark World - Converged Edition

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
In other news, I finally got access to Movies Anywhere though an American contact, so I was able to buy the film again and capture the exclusive deleted scenes such as this one, with a fun new action scene with Thor and Loki.

How is it possible to download the Movies Anywhere bonus features? I've looked for a download option on Movies Anywhere, but (unlike Vudu, iTunes, etc), it doesn't seem to offer one.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:
In other news, I finally got access to Movies Anywhere though an American contact, so I was able to buy the film again and capture the exclusive deleted scenes such as this one, with a fun new action scene with Thor and Loki.

How is it possible to download the Movies Anywhere bonus features? I've looked for a download option on Movies Anywhere, but (unlike Vudu, iTunes, etc), it doesn't seem to offer one.

I simply recorded the screen playing the video a few times, capturing it and merging the best parts to create this. 
DigModiFicaTion said:
For anyone who may be wondering how this fits in with the OTS rule, we have discussed as a staff and agree that as long as the following conditions are met, an editor may use these means to obtain bonus features.
  1. An editor must own the digital version of the film
  2. The bonus feature(s) must be digital exclusive features and not available on any official release
Again, this adjustment ONLY applies to bonus features. Screen captures of whole movies are not permitted. Please PM a staff member with any questions regarding the OTS rule. Thanks everyone!

Also, here's some fun stuff not included from the trailers, TV spots and B-Roll. Most notable bit seems to be Algrim/Kurse in Vanahiem it seems.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
I simply recorded the screen playing the video a few times, capturing it and merging the best parts to create this. 

What software did you use?

Also, do the deleted scenes have 5.1 audio, and if so, does the software record it in 5.1 or only stereo?

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you going to use the Loki's Coronation scene? I always thought it was usable up to the point fright speaks and would be good as a sort of day dream or fantasy when he’s lying in the dungeon tossing the object up in the air- a way to sort of represent his thinking about what he believes should have been

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:

What software did you use?

Also, do the deleted scenes have 5.1 audio, and if so, does the software record it in 5.1 or only stereo?

It's only 2.0 as far as I'm aware, same as any of the deleted scenes released. And I don't think I can even record in 5.1 to test it.

stferguson78 said:
Are you going to use the Loki's Coronation scene? I always thought it was usable up to the point fright speaks and would be good as a sort of day dream or fantasy when he’s lying in the dungeon tossing the object up in the air- a way to sort of represent his thinking about what he believes should have been

I can try and slot it in, but with the new sequence of events, I thought the timeline might be a little more fuddled putting it in, as well as it does have some unfinished stuff. I can try and cut the Frigga stuff though and see how it looks.

Also, here's another go at using the Jane in Asgard footage from Endgame and Movies Anywhere to try and slot the scene back into the film. Still needs some general colour stuff and some sharpening to get it up to full HD, but I think this is how I'd do it

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
It's only 2.0 as far as I'm aware, same as any of the deleted scenes released. And I don't think I can even record in 5.1 to test it.

Which software did you use, though?

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:

Which software did you use, though?

Just the Xbox Game Recorder, comes with Windows 10 as a default screen recorder

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a go at putting Loki’s Corenation back in the film. I've replaced the unfinished shots of Asgard with some from the first Thor, as well as redoing the soundtrack and crowd work to try and transition back into the film. There was some placeholder footage of Renne Russo and subtitles that was cut too. 

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anyone was curious about what the extended news report was from the Phase 2 boxset, this is it. Exciting stuff.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Here's a go at putting Loki’s Corenation back in the film. I've replaced the unfinished shots of Asgard with some from the first Thor, as well as redoing the soundtrack and crowd work to try and transition back into the film. There was some placeholder footage of Renne Russo and subtitles that was cut too. 

That’s even better than what I pictured in my head, great job

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've now rendered out another revision, as this one includes 3 more deleted scenes than the last, along with various fixes and tweaks.

Theatrical - 1:52:08
Revised - 2:03:09

I'll preview it one last time to see if any fixes need to be done before the specific technical issues need to be addressed. 3 blue screen shots need to be finalised as well as some colours in the alternate ending. The Movies Anywhere scenes could use some general upscaling too, so I do need to look into fixing that.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
hbenthow said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:

For anyone who may be wondering how this fits in with the OTS rule, we have discussed as a staff and agree that as long as the following conditions are met, an editor may use these means to obtain bonus features.
  1. An editor must own the digital version of the film
  2. The bonus feature(s) must be digital exclusive features and not available on any official release
Again, this adjustment ONLY applies to bonus features. Screen captures of whole movies are not permitted. Please PM a staff member with any questions regarding the OTS rule. Thanks everyone!

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been tinkering away and working on the edit, fixing things here and there. I've worked out how to use Ebsynth to fix some reference tape on the steps in Loki's Corination, which was a tad distracting. I've yet to fully understand it, but it works for this 2.21 second shot.

S8AxUkZ.png

F9CR7Wh.png

General audio fixes have been done as well as working on upscaling those MoviesAnywhere scenes. The "Janes Wakes" scene is proving to be a tough bitch though, not responding to looking good in the slightest and also feeling strange in the film as it doesn't have the best transitional footage to work with. I'm thinking about just using the Endgame footage without the Raccoon as that was simply transitional footage from the Odin exposition to Thor/Jane. And it was of much higher quality.

The Loki-in-chains has been moved back to right after the opening title after watching a workprint, as I feel it works best there at the moment due to the lack of pre-reshoot footage.

A few lines need to be cut from the alternate convo with Jane/Thor in the Hall of Science as some of the dialogue was repeated in the Odin exposition scene.

Blue screen in the alternate ending needs to be finalised, as I dont know if i can even pull it off. I tried just using a still background colour plate, but it's looking dodgy.

1KwAhep.png

The edit is on the horizion though, I'm sure of it!

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've also gone in and fixed a few of the effects shots in the Odin/Malekith encounter, and basically redone the lightning strike on Malekith's face from scratch.

pWwS0Xm.png

VWHSRv8.png

Work is still progressing as it always is...

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
I've also gone in and fixed a few of the effects shots in the Odin/Malekith encounter, and basically redone the lightning strike on Malekith's face from scratch.

Isn't there a fully completed version of that shot in the theatrical cut?

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:

Isn't there a fully completed version of that shot in the theatrical cut?

Yes and no. Beacuse the theatrical scene has Odin cut out, a bunch of the shots have been moved around, so the lightning strike shot has been preceeded by a different shot and then also shortened. Since this new shot doesn't work when placed in the original context, the unfinished extended shot has been finished by me using After Effects among other things

Basically, the theatrical has the same shot, but shortened. 

Here's a video showing this visually.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoa! Your finished version is seamless. I never would have realized that it had ever been unfinished. Did you use Ebsynth to remove the tracking dots on his face?

On a different note, in the shot in which you removed red tracking tape, were the bit left near Volstagg's leg and the one under his foot too difficult to remove?

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The process was taking the 3 small shots that make up the entire shot, and fixing them up. 

First, I needed a new background plate, so I stole one from later on and erased Malekith and corrected for the shot position.

POpg7M8.png

Then, I just took the unfinished frame into Photoshop, painted out the dots, coloured his face and costume to match the rest of the scene, and add the new background.

XSrzOBo.png

There are two other shots that flash quickly as the lightning strikes Malekith. The first is just a flash of light on the actor and costume, to simulate Thor's lightning, as it would be added later by the VFX guys, and also myself.

ezhzFZT.png

The last shot is one of a slightly awkward facial expression as he is finally hit by the lightning, with the on-set lightning being turned up. I had to paint out the original lightning so I could add my own. This only lasts a single frame in the film so it's barely seen.

aWgAO2z.png

Now I just took the shots into After Effects and added a bit of lightning. Took some work to have the 4 frames to look like the final film, as the lightning core wasn't quite white and the glow wasn't blue nor white. I had to use a few layers to get it all looking right, but it looks alright to me.

2yLqCvN.png

The shot isn't perfect but for something that lasts 7 frames, its not too shabby. It's basically just animation at this point, not something too complex.

Top Bottom