• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Thor: Ragnarok - Sakaaran Edition

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
9NwujSY.png

This is a different project to The Grandmaster's Workprint, as this uses only the legally avalible to own, and finished VFX scenes. The main change here is still the alternate Odin death, as well as some new material with the Grandmaster. 

CHANGELIST
- 3D Blu-Ray is used as the source for the IMAX sequences. Liberties have been taken to transition in and out of these scenes in a somewhat more seemless way
- Cut Dr Strange's appearence and the Norway visit, as the film goes from straight from Asgard to the NY alley with Odin
- Added extra intro with the Grandmaster
- Added Skurge seeing Heimdall helping Asgardian Refugees, and choosing not to intervene
- Added Grandmaster talking with Topaz about universal symbols
- Moved Grandmaster post-credits scene to after the Revengers take out Topaz
- Trimmed some minor material with the travel to Asgard within the Devil's Anus to accommodate...
- Added Thor and Banner talking about loss on the way to Asgard

Theatrical - 2:10:03
Sakaaran - 2:09:03

SOURCES
- 3D Blu-Ray
- Standard 2D Blu-Ray "Thor Meets the Grandmaster, Skurge Sees Heimdall and Grandmaster and Topaz"
- The Infinity Saga Bonus Disc "Odin in the Alley"
- Promotional Material "Travel to Asgard"

4ulki2R.png

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you have an example of a reworked IMAX transition?

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Do you have an example of a reworked IMAX transition?

Sure, here's one showing the receeding black bars at the top and bottom of the frame. Different scenes do this differently, but it was mostly if the IMAX sequence was in the middle of a scene that I used this, but not if it cut to a new scene and it was opened up. 

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I personally prefer the hard cut to the IMAX scenes in movies that have the different formats. I remember TRON Legacy and the Dark Knight having that wow factor when it kicks in. The filling out feels a bit distracting, though the slimming back in didn't to my eyes.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the IMAx format really makes that window scene pop....er shatter :)
There is a slight jarring feeling when it returns. I think it's like flavoring. When you add more you love it, but when it takes the flavor back you know you are missing something. Perhaps a hybrid of jump straight to IMAX and then fade into the black bars.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Its a fine balance depending on the scene, if its action packed and fast then the cuts don't matter too much, but just a regular scene like this can feel strange.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The work you've done is interesting, but honestly I just wish movies would stick with a single aspect ratio all the way through. I'm not trying to tell you what to do in your edit, and I think you've accomplished what you were going for.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can make a version with and without the IMAX scenes if its desired as there is only maybe 7 or 8 scenes. Standouts are the opening with Surtur, the Norway Odin death, Gladiator Fight, Anus Chasing and the Asgard finale. The rest is just small bits here and there that aren't too consequential.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Its a fine balance depending on the scene, if its action packed and fast then the cuts don't matter too much, but just a regular scene like this can feel strange.

I vote for this type of approach. The slow transition back to bars really helps to bring it back while the jump in gives you that feeling of huge/epic/*insert adjective here*

Top Bottom