• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Thor : Love plus Thunder minus Comedy

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
COMPLETE : Please contact me if you wish to watch, please ensure you own the official release of Thor: Love and Thunder.

Thor Love and Thunder was not very well received by moviegoers. The intense level of childish comedy completely undermined the movie and it seemed like this movie was without merit. Given time though, it seemed that there might be a chance to save it, so I took on the challenge. The intention is of course to remove the vast majority of the comedy. second to that, I wanted to try and focus the story on Thor and his journey to find a purpose. I also wanted to take the disliked characters and make them more likeable. For Korg it meant giving him a powerful emotional moment in that he dies for real. For Valkyrie, it meant trying to give her space so that her loneliness can be more easily seen, I also wanted to try to accentuate Thor's feelings by having us learn about Jane's condition at the same time he does.

Summary of edit list:
  • New intro music that continues throughout Thor's history montage
  • No Korg story time, no Korg narration
  • Baby Thor replaced with kid Thor from first film
  • Pirate girl and wolf girl removed
  • replaced Jane slap with Jane Aether
  • replaced Frigga funeral with Odin finding her dead
  • inserted Mjolnir destroyed
  • replaced multiple Loki death with just the one
  • inserted clip of Thor's emotional scene with Rocket from infinity war
  • colour graded entire intro
  • removed Thor riding Stormbreaker like a broom
  • removed 'split kick' between the two bikes and kicking larger vehicle
  • removed temple collapsing
  • removed Jane MRI, Jane chemo, Jane lab, intro to New Asgard, Jane at New Asgard. (we will first see Jane as Mighty Thor)
  • removed goat introduction scene outside ship, and goats inside ship
  • cut out portions of Quill and Thor's conversation where Thor mentions being dumped and the handshake bit and Thor gazing at Quill like an idiot
  • removed goat screams from bifrost (and most bits henceforth)
  • cut everything about Sif's arm.
  • removed Thor desperately trying to grab Mjolnir in New Asgard attack.
  • removed Thor making his helmet 'grow'.
  • removed entire Thor x Jane flashback
  • removed the aftermath of Gorr's attack which consists of Thor and Jane bickering
  • removed actors from town hall scene, references to Jodie Foster, Thor trying to summon Mjolnir, Stormbreaker having sentience
  • removed Thor's speech that essentially undermines Valkyrie, Miek using chalkboard, Thor crashing through roof into monument
  • removed all references to Axl's name change
  • removed Axl dismissing Thor, and Thor's 'team' obsession
  • removed rambling dialogue "are you thinking", Thor's obsession with 'a team', Stormbreaker 'rebelling' and being 'janky'
  • removed Thor trash talking Mjolnir outside on the barrel, Stormbreaker turning up on it's own after Jane leaves
  • replaced Jane's mom's sick scene with flashback of Jane examining blood and Eric Selvig giving his condolences, colour graded to accentuate the red
  • removed hand grenade speaker
  • reduced Thor's speech to remove the cringe
  • removed reference to Thor rollerblading
  • removed god of dumplings, head and feet god, Thor chanting Zeus and fanboying.
  • removed Zeus' reference to 'orgies'. Thor's struggle to get to the stage, Zeus talking about orgies.
  • removed Girls fainting at Thor's nudity, shot of tattoos on Thor's back, his friends objectifying him
  • replaced Zeus whispering to Thor with deleted scene of Zeus teaching Thor how to use Thunderbolt, framed as a psychic projection
  • removed the 'disappointment' when Zeus restores Thor's clothing
  • removed a lot of Zeus doing tricks with Thunderbolt
  • removed Zeus saying they know where omnipotent city is so they can't leave
  • removed Thor's quip "that is the sound of lightning" and jubilant fanfare, added November Rain by Guns N Roses, no Sweet Child of Mine
  • complex edit of : Korg is dead, does not whistle for goats, goats do not come to rescue, it is no longer clear where boat is when they land on it
  • removed all references to Valkyrie tickling Thor's nose
  • vigorous edit of boat scene to remove Korg's dialogue and 'jealous Stormbreaker'
  • removed Thor talking to Stormbreaker and pouring beer on it. Jane follows him out immediately
  • removed Korg singing and chatting with Val
  • Cut down final shots of Val inside boat and froze Korg's face with SFX work
  • removed all Thor's childish quips from the confrontation with Gorr.
  • removed shot of boat plus Korg plus goats during the battle with the shadows.
  • reduced Thor fighting with vending machine and his flippant remarks "pick up the kids"
  • removed Thor making light of Val's injuries
  • removed Gorr allowing statue to fall onto kids repurposed some shots to instead show Gorr sneering at Thor arriving, using a point of view shot
  • removed Thor saying "they're behind me aren't they"
  • altered Thor giving kids power, used a line from Zeus teaching Thor how Thunderbolt can be imbued into anything, downplaying any suggestion that Thor is on the level of Odin yet
  • reframed Jane sitting up in the hospital bed so that Mjolnir is not visible because Mjolnir is not a person
  • removed Thor talking to Stormbreaker like it's a person
  • removed outro scene narrated by Korg and showing Thor being domestic, film ends on The death of Jane and Gorr and the meeting of Thor and Love
  • replaced Sweet Child of Mine with Remember me by Journey
  • completely remade animated end credits to make the lettering more consistent and easier to read
  • edits to credits roll to add special thanks and change music credits.

------------------------------------

Original post :

This is a really straight forward job. Having been released on Disney plus, this was available to study. I've realised there is a lot of quality in here, it was just severely undermined by the pathetic jokes. I've ordered this and will be working on it. I already have some strong plans. For example, Thor's 'inspiring speech' starts off by undermining Valkyrie and then turns into a pathetic display of incompetence... Cut. The intro, Korg just talking stupid and making a joke of traumatic events... new music and a more sensitive edit of these emotional scenes.
Thor doing overdramatic punches and kicks against the birds in vehicles... cut. Taking the piss out of Lady Sif, cut. Korg being still alive after Zeus shatters him, cut. Korg remains dead.

Obviously, there's a lot more that I will be doing, but it's mostly straight cuts and a couple minor effects. The trick is finding the right point to make the cuts work. I'm confident I can find those sweet spots.

Last edited:

WhatTheActualMark

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds great, but is it possible to remove all of the narration from Korg? It seems to me that it was supposed to be Chris Hemsworth narrating the movie since the teaser had him narrating the intro and in Ragnarok it actually had him narrating the intro the same as the trailer. It was then made as Korg telling a story to the kids on that planet invaded by space bikers, but as the movie was over, it was never brought back at the end. It makes more sense if it was Thor telling the story from start to finish.
I'm not sure what deleted scenes are there that are useful because the majority of them are simply unfunny or went through reshoots in the final product.
Either way, I certainly hope this edit will make it at least tolerable for me to watch since it was the first MCU movie to leave me bored.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes! I will be attempting to remove all of Korg's narration because it brings down the whole movie.
I think it would have been nice to have Thor narrate his own story It's something like 3 lines though isn't it? I'm not sure if that would work.

There is a deleted scene where Zeus told Thor that Thunderbolt can be anything. I think that may be really useful.
See, the end part where Thor is somehow able to give 'the Power of Thor' to all the kids is just really stupid. Also, since I'm taking out the part where Thor essentially gives Mjolnir to Jane... there will be no foreshadow for that anyway. Also, the kids don't have blue lightning, they are using gold energy just like Thunderbolt. So I want to imply that this whole quest to 'raise an army' is in fact going to get thunderbolt from Zeus and raising the kids into an army.
This wil introduce far more logical consistency into the narrative, if I can craft it well.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The scene on the boat where Thor gives his beer to his axe, so so not funny

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that will definitely be going, along with all the other bits of inanimate objects behaving like puppets.

The interesting thing about this deleted scene, is that Zeus is behaving completely at odds with how he behaves in other scenes. It's like he has a split personality or something. I decided what I'll do is, lean into that concept. When Zeus steps down off his platform to whisper in Thor's ear, I will superimpose some kind of dream effect, showing some parts of this deleted scene. In this way, part of Zeus is secretly helping Thor, and at the same time, seeding the idea that Thunderbolt can give portions of it's power to the children in the finale.

WhatTheActualMark

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds great. Anything on the screaming goats? Trimmed or cut out completely and replaced with real goat screams?

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds great. Anything on the screaming goats? Trimmed or cut out completely and replaced with real goat screams?
Oh yes! Of course!
Where I can, I will totally remove them... But there is a lot. It may be impossible to remove all completely but I'm definitely going to try my best. You're right on the button with the real goat sounds. That may be necessary for some bits. Like when they first get given the goats.
I do think though... There is something to be said for a bit of comedy at the right moments. Who knows, perhaps I will retain a tiny bit of the screaming... Its unlikely, but I'm not going to completely rule it out.

Edit... Maybe I'll lean into that moment when thor says 'meat' and they shut up, and then cut the screaming out completely after that?

Edit 2... I wonder if it's possible to delete the goats completely? That's probably too far.

Last edited:

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds intriguing! Hope you still keep the "Jodie Foster" joke though :D

flaminio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I presume anything regarding the jealousy between Mjolnir and Stormbreaker will be removed as well. That stuff was just so stupid.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I presume anything regarding the jealousy between Mjolnir and Stormbreaker will be removed as well. That stuff was just so stupid.
absolutely. There will be no inanimate objects treated like characters. :)

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The less G&R the better. Also would it be possible to remove/reduce the Asgardian ragnorok play. It was nice seeing Sam Neil & Matt Damon in that film, but here it just felt like "yup, we're doing this bit again" moment.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The less G&R the better. Also would it be possible to remove/reduce the Asgardian ragnorok play. It was nice seeing Sam Neil & Matt Damon in that film, but here it just felt like "yup, we're doing this bit again" moment.
I did consider this, but up til now it didn't seem like the worst thing in the world. I appreciate you bringing it up though, the play could possibly go and it may very well improve that whole sequence? The thing about the intro to New Asgard, is it seems like the movie is poking fun at Disney and their business practices. With this in mind, the play seemed like a suitable part of that whole scene.

G&R, I agree with you that there is too much Guns and Roses and I'd like to reduce that. The end sequence with the kids, November rain guitar solo, I think that works really well. the escaping omnipotent city moment, sweet child of mine is no good, I will be taking that out, but replacing with November rain, verse and chorus.
Paradise city could go, but I'm not sure what could replace it. Welcom to the Jungle could be replaced with part of the score from the original Thor movie. I don't think there's any more is there?

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's some interesting music indeed! it could be suitable.
Maybe a good tune to introduce New Asgard?
I'd have to cut the dumb publicity shots of old spice and the infinity conez and probably the play as well. Might make the place feel somewhat more respectable.

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's some interesting music indeed! it could be suitable.
Maybe a good tune to introduce New Asgard?
I'd have to cut the dumb publicity shots of old spice and the infinity conez and probably the play as well. Might make the place feel somewhat more respectable.
Maybe, though he's done a ton of other Viking songs besides that one (heck, just released an album of them recently: https://ffm.to/npamnzm).

WhatTheActualMark

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you have plans, you can change the font in the main titles. The overuse of different looks in each name feels jarring to me. But the fact there is a textless version of this means you can do some work with it, if you have something in mind about it.

Top Bottom