• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor: Love and Thunder

Watched this morning on Disney Plus...

Awful. Absolutely awful.

Director Taiki Waititi's interpretation of THOR AS A MORON was amusingly bearable in RAGNAROK, but with this newest chapter, LOVE & THUNDER, it is grating, annoying and tiresome.

One of the reasons the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been so successful for more than decade is it maintains a plausible tonal reality by treating it's characters and source material with respect. But this movie pretty much flushes those tenets down the toilet.

The original comic book story of Jane Foster as Thor and the Godkiller Arc is epically mythic and deeply heartbreaking. This onscreen version treats it like a Zucker Brothers' Parody. I kept expecting Leslie Nielsen to return from the grave for a cameo.

Visually, this movie is glorious but it is continually undermined by it's idiotic tone. The movie tries to pivot into darker, more serious territory in its third act, but by then it is just too late as any potential character/story investment/connection had been completely destroyed for me.

Thoroughly disappointing. :cry: (n)

Just finished this.......I loathed the first 2/3 of this movie. This was parody at the level of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but without the premise so it just felt annoying. The last 1/3 where the conflicts and resolutions occur were intensely powerful. Taiki Waititi explores death, grief, and living in his movies and I do connect deeply with these themes. The issue I have with his story telling is that he prefaces all of the depth of his wonders with juvenile idiocracy as to render the fullness of his productions hard to return to, let alone make it through an initial viewing. I also struggled with the gods scene as it made light of many cultures and did so in a way as to render traditions as jokes. That's fine if a person thinks that personally, but to make such a blatant mockery of culture was hard to take in, especially when this movie was so rich with Island culture. It just came off as tasteless. This was easily the worst Thor movie, but also the most introspectively powerful. I'm conflicted and don't know if I have a desire to return to this movie or think that it can be salvaged.

Also, I was shocked with the amount of gore in this movie. Gold blood is still gold blood. That was a splatterhouse romp fest in Omnipotence City. That whole scene was just utter trash......

As a person with a... particular stance on religion, and who sometimes reflects on how religious leaders worldwide have suppressed the free expression of agnostics and freethinkers throughout history, not to mention many parts of the globe today, I for one appreciated the hell out of every moment this movie dunked on its deities. :D

(That weird moment of Jane damaging her own book for no reason, though, should never have made it into any cut.)

As a person with a... particular stance on religion, and who sometimes reflects on how religious leaders worldwide have suppressed the free expression of agnostics and freethinkers throughout history, not to mention many parts of the globe today, I for one appreciated the hell out of every moment this movie dunked on its deities. :D
I think it was the buffoonery nature that it was done in that rubbed me wrong, that and the entire plot line was ridiculous. The subtitle of the movie could have been religion, life, death, and love according to Taiki Waititi.

^ Sure, and the silliness of the Thor series is the perfect place for an auteur like Waititi to make such a statement, IMO. (Nazi Germany, though... not so much.)

Back
Top Bottom