• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

There and Back Again - The Bodrick Cut

Bodrick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Are you sick of Hobbit fan edits yet?

Well here's another one!

This is a fan edit of The Hobbit Trilogy that cuts it down to a single film. I'm not really prioritizing book accuracy in this edit (although due to how much Jackson original material is being removed it is much closer to the book than the original films), but am more aiming to just tell a more focused tale of Bilbo Baggins and his adventure.

At the moment, I am in the polishing stage. I have a lot of scenes done, and am just focusing on making sure every edit is as smooth as possible.

The list of major changes I've made are:
- Removed Dol Guldur subplot
- Removed Tauriel and Kili romance
- Legolas is reduced to a cameo
- Thorin's dragon sickness is toned down
- The Azog story line has been toned down dramatically. Azog now just attacks the dwarves outside of Goblin Town, and then returns in the Battle of the Five Armies. His reasoning for attacking the dwarves in the first place has been changed to tie in with the Goblins
- Alfrid has been pretty much completely removed. All his lines are removed and he only appears in the background of some scenes
- Most of the scenes of Bilbo being seduced by the ring have been removed
- A lot of action scenes have either been removed or edited down. This is to remove overly goofy moments and to improve the pacing of the edit

Currently the plan is to release the film as an "Extended Edition" when it is done, but I would like to revisit it and make a Theatrical cut sometime in the future.

Here are some clips:

Last edited:
Welcome!
I think you’re in good hands here.
The Hobbit Edits are popular and there’s always room for one more.
And If you get stuck, here is plenty of talented editors who can help you out.

Really appreciate that you got that correct font and size for the redone subtitles, well done. I'm also surprised how well Thorin's acting still fits in this spot, even though he was originally reacting in disgust/shock that Azog had survived. Now, in your cut, it seems now played off as if Thorin is in disbelief of what he's getting himself into (of course he probably doesn't understand black speech), but you get the idea that Thorin didn't want anything to do with the goblins, and now this random Orc seems to want him dead more than anything. I'm curious if you kept Gandalf killing the goblin king as well, it works either way but if you did keep it, then I think it adds even more to Thorin's reaction of shock when he's now being called out by Azog (since Thorin didn't even kill him).

Really appreciate that you got that correct font and size for the redone subtitles, well done. I'm also surprised how well Thorin's acting still fits in this spot, even though he was originally reacting in disgust/shock that Azog had survived. Now, in your cut, it seems now played off as if Thorin is in disbelief of what he's getting himself into (of course he probably doesn't understand black speech), but you get the idea that Thorin didn't want anything to do with the goblins, and now this random Orc seems to want him dead more than anything. I'm curious if you kept Gandalf killing the goblin king as well, it works either way but if you did keep it, then I think it adds even more to Thorin's reaction of shock when he's now being called out by Azog (since Thorin didn't even kill him).
I didn't really think about Thorin understanding the black speech, perhaps he took Orcish101 at uni or something :LOL:

I didn't include Gandalf killing the Great Goblin, mainly because I cut out that entire chase scene. Now Thorin killing the Goblin King is the event that kickstarts his troubles with Azog, and by changing Azog's motivation I feel that it gives the goblins more significance to the overall story.

The Battle of the Five Armies is probably the hardest part of the Hobbit Trilogy to edit and keep coherent, so in the process of making my edit it has gone through many changes. Here's a snippet of the final action scene of the current version of the battle, feedback would be very much appreciated. :)

The Battle of the Five Armies is probably the hardest part of the Hobbit Trilogy to edit and keep coherent, so in the process of making my edit it has gone through many changes. Here's a snippet of the final action scene of the current version of the battle, feedback would be very much appreciated. :)

It's on the right track, but I think it still needs some work, especially at the beginning of the fight. I had a hard time distinguishing who was who and which orc was which (although that could be the fault of the movie. My memories of the Hobbit trilogy are hazy. Still, any extra ways to fix it just a little more are always a good thing).

I think the second half of the clip is stronger than the first, although I think Bilbo's "The eagles are coming" line still suffers from being laughable. Maybe that moment is better off dialogue-free?🤔

It's on the right track, but I think it still needs some work, especially at the beginning of the fight. I had a hard time distinguishing who was who and which orc was which (although that could be the fault of the movie. My memories of the Hobbit trilogy are hazy. Still, any extra ways to fix it just a little more are always a good thing).

I think the second half of the clip is stronger than the first, although I think Bilbo's "The eagles are coming" line still suffers from being laughable. Maybe that moment is better off dialogue-free?🤔
Thanks for the feedback man!

In regards to your first point I think it helps to see the earlier battle stuff to be able to tell who is who, although I do get that it is a bit hard to tell as well, I'm gonna blame Jackson for that one XD

Were there any specific cuts that you felt needed improving?

Thanks for the feedback man!

In regards to your first point I think it helps to see the earlier battle stuff to be able to tell who is who, although I do get that it is a bit hard to tell as well, I'm gonna blame Jackson for that one XD

Were there any specific cuts that you felt needed improving?

It's tough to pinpoint the cuts of an action sequence. I think what confused me the most is that I didn't know that there were two orcs, so when Thorin slices at one of them, and it cuts to the reaction of the other one, it leaves you in a "wait, what?" kind of situation. You could be right in that the earlier battle stuff may explain this. However, it's been a long time since I watched the Hobbit movies, so I'm not familiar with the way those films were edited.

I've submitted the edit for approval, so in the meantime I worked on some Blu Ray/DVD menus for the edit. Thought I'd share them here:

I also made a DVD cover and disc covers. The edit is finished, so if anyone wants to watch it feel free to send me a message :)

BEm4Zgfl.jpeg
I4famdTl.jpg
View media item 826

Last edited:
A new poster suggestion place holder.

Last edited:
As someone who is slowly getting into Middle Earth, I can safely say… we are never going to get sick of these, are we?

Ah, it's coming up now.

Though it's just Kerr's artwork for his Arkenstone Edition edit of AUJ with the contrast boosted up.

Last edited:
Another Hobbit edit approved. After a few corrections to an edit that was almost flawless, we consider this edit approved. Congratulations, Bodrick!

Back
Top Bottom