• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Witcher: Sword of Destiny

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

This is a sequel to "The Last Wish" edit. It continues the story of Geralt of Rivia, omitting big part of plotlines that were not based on the books. It is based on the whole Ciri plotline as well as Geralt and Yennefer plotlines from episodes 6-8. Unlike "The Last Wish" edit, there was no way to base this edit only on book material because more than half of the second book, "Sword of Destiny" was omitted in the show. For that reason, this edit uses some of the non-book material to complete the story and presents it in chronological order.

- Edit opens with Geralt & Yen plotline from episode 6 with a few little cuts
- then material from episode 1 and 7 is combined to present the story of Ciri and the fall of Cintra in chronological order
- Ciri on the run plotline is significanlty shortened. The character Dara does not appear.
- The final part of the edit is episode 8 with some omissions
- additional mages are introduced during their meeting scene
- Tissaia's and Fringilla's roles in the battle are reduced as they have no backstory here
- "Who is Yennefer?" line at the end is cut.
- Re-scored audio tracks in english and polish were created with music from Witcher games soundtracks and polish "Hexer" TV show music by Grzegorz Ciechowski, but for all those who enjoyed Sonya Belousova and Giona Ostinelli's work, there's original audio track too.
- New title card added

Running time: 139 minutes

I was unable to do this edit exactly the way I would like it to be, because available material doesn't allow it. Some of the crucial, significant parts of the books do not exist in the show, and some unnecessary parts are problematic and can't be easily excluded (their omission would cause the story to feel incomplete). Frankly, I was way more pleased with "The Last Wish" edit. This one was made just to have the complete story, but without a real conviction. This show is frustrating as hell, especially for fans of the source material, and it only becomes worse and worse as the story continues.

Last edited:
I'm about 40 minutes in and, yeah, I can definitely see how this was more of a struggle for you to wrangle into something as satisfying as your first Witcher is (which was fantastic).

I'll keep watching and let you know what I think once I am finished.

Solid work though and I appreciate your efforts to salvage what appears to be an adaptation that was ill-concieved on multiple levels

I am not sure it should be so visible in first 40 minutes (that are basically the ep.6 Dragon story with really minimal changes). The real problems come later.

I am not sure it should be so visible in first 40 minutes (that are basically the ep.6 Dragon story with really minimal changes). The real problems come later.
40 minutes was a guess. I finished the dragon story and now I'm at the start of something else that I'm having a hard time being invested in.

The dragon hunt was good fun.

Ok, that's more like it.

What comes after the dragon story is Netflix' writers attempt to show the events that were never described by Sapkowski in other way than brief flashbacks or talked about. Then, the most important thing that were present in Sword of Destiny is... missing (and that part was the first meeting of Geralt and Ciri when she was a little girl). And that makes the whole Geralt's search for Ciri rather unengaging. They try to put parts of that story later, but they're missing the point completely. So we have Brokilon part that makes no sense geographically (they even show a book accurate map at some point and Brokilon is far north from Cintra on it) and doesn't really move the plot in any significant way. I've decided to left it in, just because it plays some role in later books, so I didn't want to discard it entirely even if the way it was used in the show doesn't really make sense. That is one of the reasons this doesn't work as good as most of previous edit does - there are some unncessary thing still in it, and even when unnecessary things are removed, what is left still painfully limps.

I was really hoping the story will be back on track with season 2 as it should be easier to adapt (since it was supposed to be based on actual novel and not a collection of short stories), instead, the show went completely off rails,a as they've replaced 75% of it with some made up story about some demon-witch that doesn't have anything to do with the books and once again, omitted most of the actual book events, or deformed them the way, they don't make any sense once again (as the whole "fast travel" thing in last two episodes).

I was even talking to one of the producers through facebook and after pointing out some serious flaws, he admitted that "in the perfect world, this should be done another way but it is, what it is".

oh, and btw, I was there at Ogrodzieniec castle when the filming was taking place - namely, the scene where the sorceressess (Triss and Tissaia) are coming out from the castle and making a spell. I was lurking by the castle wall to get some footage of the filming in that exact moment :)

And here's the footage:

I thought I've lost that with my lost vimeo account, but it seems somebody saved it and put on youtube.

I wouldn't have been so happy in that picture If I had known how this show will end up... This edit is just an attempt to get at least something bearable out of it...
These are hard and sad times to witcher fans (which I am for 23 years as of right now).

Last edited:
Just finished it. I agree with you that your first Witcher edit was more satisfying but this one holds up pretty well despite your struggles with the inadequate material you were working with. It really does feel like they're some key pieces missing.

That said, it certainly works as a conclusion to the story. Given what I've heard about how far the Netflix show is straying from the books in the next season, I sincerely doubt I'll be continuing with the show.

Thank you, though, for making my second attempt at getting into The Witcher a more successful one!

Good to hear that :)

I may still try to do something with season 2, but if I do, then probably something like 80% of it will be cut.
It still depends on how season 3 turn out, because if third one is as removed from the books as 2nd was, then it would be rather pointless.

can you add a subtitle .It is hard for an nonnative English speaker to watch this show

Sorry, no can do. Too much work, too little time.

So I just watched "The Last Wish" edit and I must say this is the best way to watch this show. I watched the original version through the fingers of my facepalm. There were some redeeming qualities (some costumes, some cgi, Geralt etc) but most of it is garbage. So the biggest gripe was how little of Geralt there was in the show. He was only in 1/3 of his own story and Yennefer and Ciri had some horrible threds added by Hissrich because of her misguided feminism. With your cut Yen and Ciri actually appear when the should and how they should. It makes sense storywise and what is even better it makes the show more interesting in the long run as we are gradually introduced to new characters: Jaskier, Yen, Ciri. Also you got rid of these stupid and distracting story elements that are misinterpreted by producers or simply forced on the show with "Hogwars", "Fringilla", "Cahir" and "Vilgefortz", "dark elves" and so on. Your version not only brings the show so much closer to the books but by doing so it makes the flow of the entire thing so much smoother. I love how you used the soundtrack of all 3 games but also the score from original Polish Witcher movie/tv show. These scores are so distinct and add so much kind of slavic "pagan" atmosphere it's criminal the score of the Netflix show was nothing like that. However it's also good that you did not got rid of the entire Netflix score as parts of it are actualy good.

Of course it's not perfect but some things you can't change with edit. Casting, simplified moral of the stories, lack of subtelty, unnecesary changes to the characters. But even so your cut makes it so much better. However I feel there are some things you could improve on your end. The intermissions between the stories could be longer to let the ending sink in and to let the audience know that we are in a different place and time now. I think there was one I liked when after the ending it went to black before starting new story but the rest would immediately jump to a new story. The other thing I would leave is the main intro saying Witcher or ever better Wiedźmin as this is a Polish "superhero" of sorts. The opening animation is nice and fits the rest of the show. You could add the title of the book underneath it.

Overall I think you did a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the rest of the show as it gets gradually more butchered by Netflix. Later especially in season 2 they not only added new story elements. They rewrote the story and dropped entire chapters crucial to the original story. I think the first episode of season 2 should be a good watch with your cut as they at least followed the short story (even though Ciri should not be in it). As for the rest...Well even if you have to leave 90% of the show on the cutting floor I would still want to watch this distilled version of the show. This is the version I would show to Henry Cavill if I could. ;)

PS. As a Polish person I appreciate your version has Polish voiceovers. They are not perfect but every little helps to bring it closer to the source material. ;)

Last edited:
And that is exactly the kind of review I was waiting for :)

I think the first episode of season 2 should be a good watch

Yes, majority of what is good in second season is the first episode, even with Ciri in it. But I don't know if there is enough worthy material in this season for one movie...

Last edited:
So I watched "Sword of destiny" cut as well and most of my pros still stand. This is so much better then the original. It has better pace, leaves out unnecessary filler, it is much more like the books. However it is not as good as part one simply because the further the show goes the further they distance themselves from the source material. As Geralt, Yen's and Cirilla stories become more and more intertwined the harder it gets to cut the stupid Netflix's elements and still keep the story consistent. Also Netflix is starting to bleed their own "ideas" into the main plot. Because this cut is much better than Netflix's I was more willing to overlook this show's flaws. Until the Sodden. The Battle of Sodden is a joke. It literally looks like a parody. It can't be saved. I haven't watched it in a while and seeing it again I think it is worse then I remembered. It is supposed to be a massive battle and a grand finale. Instead it is a mixture of bad fanfilm shot in a forest (classic!), cheap CGI, bad acting, mobs of goons from Power Rangers, insulting strategy and HORRIBLE dialog (I laughed out loud when in the middle of duel with Cahir "Vilgefortz" asked him what did he want). The most baffling is that they did not had to shot that at all. In the books we learn of what happened afterwords from the flashbacks. If you don't have the budget or skill don't do it.

To summarize. This is another great cut and it makes the show watchable. When they follow the books more or less like in a story with golden dragon it is at times a good watch. However there are some things even a great cut won't save. This two part Witcher cut is definetly a version I am gonna recommend to all that want to get into the Witcher through the movies. Im looking forward to seeing what you can do with season 2 and 3. It is only going to get harder.

Also I think it would be great if you could do the same with the original Polish tv show/movie! Just think of it. There is more material shot, it is more like a book in terms of vistas and casting. I always thought that the original Wiedźmin suffered greatly due to bad editing (of course it is not the only downside but a big one). I think it is at least worth considering. After watching Netflix's version many people actually stated that by comparsion Polish version was not that bad after all. ;)

Also I think it would be great if you could do the same with the original Polish tv show/movie! Just think of it.

I thought of it but:
1) there is an official movie version already (it could be better even being made from existing material though)
2) unfortunately I am unable to buy the source with good enough quality (it wasnt released in Poland, not counting few episodes on VCD which is useless). The only edition I am aware of is russian DVD which is out of my range so to speak.

After watching Netflix's version many people actually stated that by comparsion Polish version was not that bad after all.
Yeah, I see it that way too.

As Geralt, Yen's and Cirilla stories become more and more intertwined the harder it gets to cut the stupid Netflix's elements and still keep the story consistent.
True. That's why I lost almost all of hope that I can fix season 2. But I may still try.

The most baffling is that they did not had to shot that at all. In the books we learn of what happened afterwords from the flashbacks.
Yeah, Marnadal battle isn't that bad, but Sodden... oh, well.

I have been looking for a decent source as well but all I can find is bad 480p version with english subtitles "burned" on the actual video. Buying the show on disc is near impossible. Apart from the movie that is actually easy to find on olx or allegro the show is only available on TVP VOD. However if they ever release a decent HD version it would be worth trying. Maybe petition to TVP? They keep releasing old shows on BD. Recently they released Janosik, before they had "Trylogia". Who knows. I think with the HD source and some careful editing that could be a hidden gem of sorts. Erasing all the made up content, putting everything in the right order. Additional music from the games. One can only wonder.

For now I will be eager to see what you can do with the rest of Witcher by Netflix. I imagine right now it is hard to make a cut out of season 2 because you don't know which made up threads (and season 2 is like 80% made up) will be continued and what can be dropped until you see season 3.

EDIT: Actually what they have on VOD is not that bad. I just checked.

Last edited:
They keep releasing old shows on BD. Recently they released Janosik

The one recently released has messed up aspect ratio as far as I know (cut from 4:3 to 16:9). The only edition of Janosik worth buying is the one released couple of years ago for foreign markets.
I would buy polish Witcher series on blu-ray but I do not expect it will happen.

Last edited:
One can only hope. In the meantime we will see what Netflix will torture us with. ;)

The third season is here and the reviews aren't great (among Polish reviewers), but are quite good among English-speakers websites. I'm stll hopeful you can create some at least watchable movies out of Seasons 2-3 @Gieferg. I know they don't follow the books closely, but maybe you can craft something good and alternative.

I've just visited Ogrodzieniec castle again yesterday (the place where some material for S01E08 was shot which I've witnessed back in 2019) wearing my custom made Witcher 2 t-shirt :D so I'm in the right Witcher mood, but mountain hiking plans for tomorrow makes me postpone watching S03 for couple of days. I guess I will check it out this weekend & hoping for something that will give me at least some motivation for future edits.

Last edited:
Good luck in your journey and I wish you TONS of motivation and interesting ideas for The Witcher edits ;).

Just re-watched three episodes of S02 and made some notes for inevitable "Blood of Elves" edit. Looks like it will happen after all, but it will be heavily re-edited.

As fot third season - it was way better than the second, but still nowhere close to how I'd like it to be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom