• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Warriors - Theatrical Cut Reconstruction (HD) V2 Finished

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been working on this bit by bit since the last post and the first pass of the project is done. I'm now going back to perfect a few things...

1. Compare all shots to the DVD for differences in brightness. Mostly the film is unaltered in this respect. But some scenes and shots have been, so I want to be sure.

2. Regrade all the "DJ" scenes. The DC versions have a very noticeable pink hue (highlights especially) and are often much darker.

3. Double check colour grade across the whole film to the DVD and make any minor tweaks where needed. All shots/scenes with obvious differences have been corrected already.

4. Go back and possibly replace parts that were wholly DVD material, with iTunes shots. There is a trade off between edge sharpness and overall detail and I want to see which sources work best.

5. Redo the first 10 minutes. Obviously I worked on this first and quite a while ago. So I want to make sure it's up to the same standard as my recent efforts.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I'm now going back to perfect a few things...

1. Compare all shots to the DVD for differences in brightness.

2. Regrade all the "DJ" scenes.

1 & 2 are done, plus I've finally got the last few tricky shots in the beach finale graded correctly.

I'm now into swapping out some DVD material, for iTunes shots. I'll probably only use it for semi-static and brightly-lit shots, as due to the streaming compression the DVD actually looks better IMO when there is much movement. I've also just noticed that the Wipes in the iTunes version are not the original ones in at least one case (It occurrs at a different time by a couple of frames).

@"SilverWook" has kindly provided a recording of the original VHS audio, which will make a nice alternate audio option.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm working on the last few minutes and trying out some cover/poster ideas...

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it just me, or does Mercy look like she's not wearing a blouse? Yikes! :blush:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SilverWook said:
Is it just me, or does Mercy look like she's not wearing a blouse? Yikes! :blush:

She barely is anyway :D ...

9735fac1da090e4eedc9d859177e2e44.jpg

I'll tweak the contrast or something to make the t-shirt read a little darker. Thanks.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
True! Funny to think there really isn't any nudity in the entire film.

Speaking of poster ideas, something that looks like it's been hanging on a wall in a subway station too long might fit the 70's New York vibe.
warriorsbg3.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd seen that top Wonder Wheel one before. It's very nice!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the first 4 minutes, finally fully completed with restored shots, corrected framing, corrected brightness/contrast and original colour grade... plus for the first time this clip has the original VHS audio synched-in. A recording of which was kindly provided by @"SilverWook" (Which I think sounds amazing!)

(Password: fanedit.org)

I've got the other 89 minutes left to go over with a final grading-tweaks pass.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad you're happy with it! Synching it up didn't give you any major headaches?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SilverWook said:
Synching it up didn't give you any major headaches?

There were about 14 edit points across the whole movie, where I added a "frame" of audio, or lost a "frame" of audio to keep it perfectly in sync. I'm guessing this was down to tiny differences in sources from the DVD to the VHS. It was pretty straightforward.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good to know. The other audio preservation projects I've done recently were fraught with unique problems. VHS Hi Fi ended up saving the day again. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With my 'Star Trek Into Darkness' edit released I'm probably going to go back to finishing this project off. There is only really the last fine-tuning pass to do on the grade for about 80% of the movie. It's fairly tedious work, which is why I've put it off. However with no audio-editing to do, I can get some music albums listened to :cool: .

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first 50 minutes are 100% done, the other 43 minutes left still to do the final grading tweaks on. It's still going to take some time to go through every shot.

Here is a short 47 second clip showing the regrading (DC-Blu-Ray on the left (what there is of it) and the TC reconstruction/regrade on the right)...

(Password: fanedit.org)

Some scenes/shots in the movie are very different, some are quite similar. The above scene is about medium in terms of grading difference. Overall the Director's Cut is slightly colder and duller looking than the Theatrical original.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't understand why they did that. It just takes a little life off the screen but doesn't add anything or help another aspect for me.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As the theatrical is being discussed on another forum, I was wondering if the Netflix version is 99% theatrical except for the lighting shot? You didn't find any other DC crap sneaking in? Just want to get my facts straight. :)

Top Bottom