• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Warriors - Theatrical Cut Reconstruction (HD) V2 Finished

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has dark jedi's version of The Warriors ever been released anywhere or has this original hd version been uploaded to a site by someone else?.

harrybowls

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PM me if you need HD elements for this project.

From skimming through here it looks like the person upscaled DVD footage.

I actually already made a Theatrical version with the HD elements I have for myself, but if you want them to do a new version of this project I can send them.

zanesimon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got my hands on this, and really enjoyed it. Since I've only ever seen the directors cut of the film, it was exactly what I'd hoped for (in that it removed all the worst elements and replaced them with reasonably seamless content original to the film.

Just a question however, I can't seem to find a way to leave a review for this in IFDB, is that by design or is there something obvious I'm missing?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zanesimon said:
Just got my hands on this, and really enjoyed it. Since I've only ever seen the directors cut of the film, it was exactly what I'd hoped for (in that it removed all the worst elements and replaced them with reasonably seamless content original to the film.

Just a question however, I can't seem to find a way to leave a review for this in IFDB, is that by design or is there something obvious I'm missing?

Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll restart on the updated version of this one day. I was concerned about a possible official release making this obsolete but so far there has been nothing announced.

You should be able to see a blue button under the "reviews" tab on th ifb listing called "Add new review". Do you see it?

zanesimon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll restart on the updated version of this one day. I was concerned about a possible official release making this obsolete but so far there has been nothing announced.

You should be able to see a blue button under the "reviews" tab on th ifb listing called "Add new review". Do you see it?

I'm thinking the trouble may be with login. I clicked Login over on IFDB and entered my forum creds, but it just sends me an "invalid login" error message. So I need to get that sorted, then I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zanesimon said:
I'm thinking the trouble may be with login. I clicked Login over on IFDB and entered my forum creds, but it just sends me an "invalid login" error message. So I need to get that sorted, then I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out.

You've given yourself a different username on ifdb, which is probably causing the confusion. We'll look into this.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wait, are reviews allowed on preservations? I didn't know that.

zanesimon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
You've given yourself a different username on ifdb, which is probably causing the confusion. We'll look into this.

Strange. Maybe stemming from an old account I forgot about, because I've never signed in with IFDB since I created this new one and tried to sign in just 20 minutes ago.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zanesimon said:

Try now. You had a different username on IFDB. Because the email address was shared the system was getting confused. I changed the username you had on IFDB to match what you use here so the problem should now be fixed. If the problem persists PM me directly.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've restarted work on this over the weekend, while recording Babylon 5 VHS tapes in the background. With my new much more powerful PC and 43" 4K screen, I can now edit this at full HD quality with no lagging problems and it's soooo much easier to visually align the elements with the increased screen resolution :) .

Here is a shot of the current timeline. The third track shows every time a piece of DVD footage has been blended in. It's a lot of shots...

(^ Click image to see full res screenshot)

With the increased processing power I can now create a bonus 5.1 mix, after the video editing is complete.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got half of the film complete now (45 minutes).

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would you have any use for the original mono uncompressed? I've been meaning to capture the VHS Hi Fi I have.

I ran afoul of the copy protection on that tape before, so I'll have to pipe something else into the video input of my DVD recorder to fake it out. ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SilverWook said:
Would you have any use for the original mono uncompressed? I've been meaning to capture the VHS Hi Fi I have.

I've got the dolby-digital original mono mix (No more info on it than that) from the DVD but another mix would be very welcome if you can spare the time.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is a short video showing the "anti-cropping" work on a couple of scenes...

(Password: fanedit.org)

The white areas represent the areas/footage of the film that are missing on the Blu-Ray. I've sped the video up by a factor of 4, so the changes are easier to read (Plus added some music). This was originally 3 minutes of the movie and virtually the whole 90 minutes is cropped like this, so needs carefully restored.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hill really went all Lucas on this.

Saw this on Ebay, and had a good chuckle. It's actually a 1975 girl gang movie. Gotta' love unscrupulous European film distributors!
3050104.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SilverWook said:
Hill really went all Lucas on this.

Indeed. Only today I'm starting to notice he also heavily altered the brightness in some scenes (Most are unaltered)...

(^ Click image to see full res)

I've hit the hour mark and will be checking brightness as I go from now on. I'll have to go back later and check the first hour for any changes.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd say he went further than Lucas. Lucas mostly just added random CG bits and caused a variety of errors. Basically, a hack job.

At least Hill seemed to know what he was doing with very specific reframing throughout the film (not just small scattershot changes). He went whole hog director's cut and you have to sort of admire that (especially when lots of director's cut's a just extended editions). 

Still, that the theatrical is not available in HD is unforgivable.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Too bad he didn't reinstate the footage added to the tv version. At least that would be in HD quality now. Last time I saw that version on tv, I had no idea it was a rare bird I should have popped a tape in the VCR for.

I've captured the VHS Hi Fi mono, and it was less of a headache than the last two VHS audio captures I've done. Best of all, no audible dropouts at all! It sounds pretty good to me. There's some slight background hiss, which is probably in the video master, but that's preferable to a soundtrack that's been equalized and scrubbed to death any day of the week.

Let me know where to send it, and I'll get it out to you after the big holiday weekend is over.  :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I'd love to have those TV scenes in better quality.

A few updates...

- The first pass is nearly done but the project is still a long way off completion.

- The beach finale has been given a very different colour timing in the DC... or more probably they didn't digitally re-apply the original photo-chemical grade. It's supposed to have a golden sun-drenched hue. Here is a comparison...

(^ Click image to see larger comparison)

It was quite tricky to work out the exact settings that would create the same look (Or reverse the look of the DC?)

The iTunes version of Warriors has the same timing as the Blu-Ray. I had wondered if it was a partially "despecialized" version (As it does have differences) but I think this clenches it. It must have been sourced from some sort of pre-DC preliminary colour-grade, as even non-DC shots have the DC timing.

Top Bottom