• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Warriors - Theatrical Cut Reconstruction (HD) V2 Finished

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started a new project file and so far (Touch wood) it's crash free :). Just fixed this shot which is the most heavily cropped shot on the Blu-Ray so far...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
metalfingersinmybody said:
Anymore updates?.

Having some more problems with Vegas crashing :cry: so not much more completed as yet.

Possibly my system is struggling with editing two full-frame full-HD video streams (With masks and animation) at the same time, or maybe something else is wrong? Shame as I was really enjoying working on this. I might have to look at editing this in 720p (My usual resolution) in my timeline and then just switching to 1080p before I render. But that makes lining up the two layers perfectly harder, as you've got less pixels and less detail to compare.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please don't give up on this project, when you say something else is wrong, do you mean with Vegas or your actual pc?.(maybe its time to buy yourself that all new powerful pc that you always promised yourself lol?.)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maybe its time to buy yourself that all new powerful pc that you always promised yourself lol?

I've thought about it more and more this year, believe me but I still don't want to part with the cash.

Update: I've re-ripped the Blu-Ray with a different program, as I figure the old source-file must have been glitchy in some way? If that's the problem solved, I'm hoping to spend all weekend working on this.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New source seems to be error free (So far... hopefully... fingers crossed).

I'm now thinking at least 50% of the footage in the Director's has been altered in someway. There are whole minutes where every shot has been reframed and cropped. Here is a short example of how things differ, how I'm putting them back the way they were and the finished result...

(Password: fanedit.org)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Thanks.

My meagre skills have improved a lot in the two years since I first made this project. Now instead of replacing whole shots, I'm able to just replace the relevant pixels and leave the rest of the shot unchanged and in HD. I'll be doing this for all the wipes...

...where a digital-looking comic-book style line was added over them in the DC for some reason?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks amazing, how far into the project are you now?.

25 or so minutes.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SilverWook said:

Interesting, thanks. I'll check this out. Maybe this project isn't worth doing? Depends on how much compression this streaming file has.

EDIT: I've just checked and this stream doing the rounds on Netflix, iTunes, Amazon etc isn't the true theatrical cut.

It is some kind of mix of TC and DC footage. Either it's the DC with the major changes reversed, or a stream of an earlier version before Hill apllied further changes. Not sure how much it differs without closer analysis but it does differ.

Still might be a good thing to have as a possible secondary source.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That sounds a little ominous. You don't think Hill did something really dumb like cut the negatives to make the DC?

A couple 16mm prints have popped up on Ebay in the past 18 months, (both open matte) but I wasn't in any shape to put in a serious bid at the time.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SilverWook said:
That sounds a little ominous. You don't think Hill did something really dumb like cut the negatives to make the DC?

This might be very, very, very close to the Theatrical Cut but not exactly the same. Right away I spotted this shot because it's one of the most obvious visual changes...

(Click ^ to see full res)

...and the cut overall is 8 frames longer. If this one shot is altered then it's possible many other are, or it could be a single lone error. I don't know and I couldn't say why it's 8 frames longer, without some time to look at it very closely. It's certainly a huge improvement on the DC and good that this is how the film is going out on the various streaming sites.

Edit: The shot right after this one is the "nuclear-fire-bright" ;-) Director's Cut version too.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
EDIT: I've just checked and this stream doing the rounds on Netflix, iTunes, Amazon etc isn't the true theatrical cut.

It is some kind of mix of TC and DC footage. Either it's the DC with the major changes reversed, or a stream of an earlier version before Hill apllied further changes. Not sure how much it differs without closer analysis but it does differ.

Fascinating! If you have the time, you should compile a list of the changes: it would be as valuable as your reconstruction itself. Quite a few ilms have histories on home video that are more complicated than is generally understood.

EDIT: Don't be put off if people don't like your pointing out that what they think is the theatrical cut might be something else. I've had the same experience in respect of The Last of the Mohicans, a film that might never have been released in its true theatrical form.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will this new source be helpful with your restoration?.

In a way no :-D because before I was just conforming half of the shots to the DVD (Which was relatively simple), now I've got a third source which has shots that may or may not be unchanged, but may or may not be in better quality. I'm still trying to get my head around how to juggle the three sources.

Captain Khajiit said:
If you have the time, you should compile a list of the changes

It would be nice but would be long and boring to read in the extreme. If there are 1000 shots in the movie (?), the cutlist would just be "reversed crop" written 500 times next to some timecodes. I'd like to but it would test even my patience for writing cutlists and anybody who read it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
It would be nice but would be long and boring to read in the extreme. If there are 1000 shots in the movie (?), the cutlist would just be "reversed crop" written 500 times next to some timecodes. I'd like to but it would test even my patience for writing cutlists and anybody who read it.

Understood! I don't think you should record every instance of reversing cropping though, just the bigger changes like the one that you posted with the lights. The result might be a bit like schnittberichte.

Top Bottom