• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Warriors - Theatrical Cut Reconstruction (HD) V2 Finished

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The easiest place to check the playback issue may be the end scene where the remaining Warriors are walking along the beach, on my machine the audio plays perfect but the video playback is staggered. Like is said this issue only seems to happen with the dvd upscaled footage that replaces the horrible Directors Cut footage. The lip sync issue seems very clear at the start of the movie when Cleon is talking to The Warriors.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just checked multiple scenes and the good (?) news is that the edit is fine. The audio was synced fine. It appears there might be something up with your player. Maybe the burning though I'm not sure. I'd take that disc to someone else and see the results. That'll tell you for sure.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I just checked multiple scenes and the good (?) news is that the edit is fine. The audio was synced fine. It appears there might be something up with your player. Maybe the burning though I'm not sure. I'd take that disc to someone else and see the results. That'll tell you for sure.
Thanks for checking your version, can i ask what blu ray player you have?.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sony BDPS5100, which is older but I've never had a single problem playing anything on it.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the best way to describe my playback problems is when the blu ray player is playing the upscaled DVD footage its missing every other frame, leaving the playback unsmooth, jumpy. Any ideas if it would be the actual settings on the blu ray player causing this problem?.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not really sure and we're in danger of hijacking a thread. Why don't you redownload it as try that disc, if it's the same problem start a thread in the tech forums?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I made this edit when I was a "Noob" to fanediting :-D so it's possible there could be an error I guess? Although, it's not one I've noticed, or anybody else has pointed out (If I recall).

I always regretted never making a nice HD-MP4 version of this project, so I'm quite tempted to remake this for that reason (and to make doubly sure it's 100% problem free). Also, I almost certainly didn't create the original fanedit with lossless files/editing, so I should be able to boost the image quality now.

Watch this space

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started messing about with this again :).

First time, I just went by this movie-censorship.com comparison report. This time I'll be going through it frame-by-frame, like I've done with my other more recent "restoration" projects. Six minutes in and I've already found four altered shots not listing in that link and corrected them. Where Walter Hill has added digital zooms and pans (For no obvious important reason).

I'll probably add a little extra grain to the BR footage this time, as there is clearly less than the original DVD cut. I might slightly boost the saturation and add a little warmth to the colour palette too. Nothing drastic, as the BR colour grade is pretty consistent with the DVD... if the DVD is even anything to go by of course.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmmm :|. I've gotten about 11 minutes in and Walter Hill has really messed around with this film more than I'd realised. During the famous Cyrus "Can you dig it!?" speech, fully 50% of the footage has digital pans, zooms and crops applied to it. So this leaves 3 options...

1. Replace all this HD footage with the unaltered SD footage.
2. Somehow create a seemless blend of the two sources. Preserving as much HD footage as possible.
3. Just leave the HD footage as it is. The footage is the same, we just see less of the frame.

I really don't fancy 3, as what would be the point of calling this a reconstruction if I knowingly leave half the film wrong. 1 has the problem that it will leave half the film in SD quality, when the idea is to create and HD version. Option 2 is the best but being able to animate every HD shot to exactly match the original camera movement would be bloody hard (And possibly impossible for my skill level).

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm fairly sure that I had the theatrical cut in HD at one point. (I don't recall clicking on this thread before: I thought you were making a superior version to what was already available.) If I can find it, I'll send you a PM.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Interesting!

I had a go at blending the sources. This shows the cropping of the original shot...

...and this is that same shot with the missing parts filled in with SD footage from the DVD...

(Password: fanedit.org)

...for that shot at least I think it's seemless.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I honestly didn't notice any difference in quality in that video, it looks very good. I agree that your second option is probably the best option for the edit but if it becomes too difficult or time consuming, go for option three, at least its still mostly the original movie.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Totally seamless to me. I would prefer a mix of option 2 and 1 honestly, 3 seems like the option that is least true to the edit's intentions.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks y'all.

Update: I got hold of what porports to be an "HD" rip of a streaming version of 'The Warriors: Theatrical Cut' but it due to heavy streaming compression, it's actually lower quality than the DVD (It's also slightly cropped and the colours are washed out). So it won't be used as a source for this HD project. Even for the brief sections where I need replace whole shots, the DVD looks superior to my eye (And that's before any sharpening is applied etc). It's a nice comparison refrence to have though.

For those interested here is a frame comparison...

(^ Click image to see full res comparison)

It looks like I should be able to "reconstruct" every shot using a blend of the Blu-Ray and DVD. Like I did in post#33 ^. Because the additional zooms/pans are digital, it's relatively easy to reverse them in most cases. e.g. If I line up frame No.1 of a shot, and I line up the last frame of the shot, all the other frames fall prefectly and mathematically into sync. Some shots where both zooms and pans have been aplied are little more tricky, involving animating the shot frame-by-frame, but still doable (So far). I've got the first 10 minutes completed :).

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brilliant news about having ten minutes completed already. Such a pity about the HD stream being such poor quality. I always thought the PAL DVD looked very good, especially when its upscaled on a blu ray player.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmmm :x my project file is now crashing almost instantly for some reason. I've got the first 10 minutes rendered off losslessly, so nothing is lost but doing further work will be difficult until I find out what is up.

Top Bottom