• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The War of the Stars II - The Future in Motion

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent stuff TMBTM, it delivered and more.
TMBTM thinks outside the box once more and gives us a new fresh take on the Star Wars saga.
You the man! (behind the mask).:)

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching this SUPERB edit. I can say this without any exaggeration: this edit moved me. I really love it.

Biggest laugh:
Stormtroopers opening cell 1138 then covering it up as Vader shows up

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If i had to describe this edit with one word, id have to use the word 'Beautiful'. So much cool stuff going on here, tons and tons of fresh ideas, pretty much all the effects are seamless to me. There is some somewhat jarring cuts audio-wise, but TMBTM warned us of this, and for me it honestly doesn't ruin the experience. The use of the deleted and added footage is both logical and creative, defenately one of the most creative slices of fanediting put together so far. TMBTM rose to the occasion and went above and beyond what this rogue could have expected. I was smiling and laughing almost the whole time i watched this. Thank you for making this edit, TMBTM.

9.5/10

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guyz!

lpd reported that there is some little audio sync problem during the last part of the edit in the AVI version.
I re checked, and indeed maybe there is. But I can't really see that problem in the DVD version so maybe it was an encoding issue of he Xvid. It's minor though, it does not put you out of the edit IMO, but I prefer to warn you about it.

EDIT: there might be some little sync troubles even in the DVD version, but they might be amplified in the AVI version.
Anyway, this does not look like a big issue regarding the positive feedback for now. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WARNING -- There may be mild SPOILERS in the following...

BOLD. INNOVATIVE. REFRESHING.

These were the first words that popped into my mind after watching TMBTM's The War of The Stars Part 2. It takes what you think you know about The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and twists and contorts them into something completely fresh. Which brings me to the next word that describes this edit...

SMART.

The new storyline is so damn smart. In many ways, smarter than the originals they are based on.
--Han's attack on the Endor base seems more realistic.
--Lando leading the assault on the Deathstar with a full crew.
--Luke's training to become a Jedi.
--even all the new footage of lesser video quality is never a distraction because everything used is there for a purpose and drives/supports the story!
And much more, in particular the last act, but I don't want to give too much away.

TMBTM has also created I believe over 90 new special effect shots for this movie, which I must admit made me very nervous upon hearing. If one is going to attempt something that massive, you hope they are going to work or you will lose your audience really quickly. But it turns out I had nothing to fear. I watched the edit on my 60inch Plasma and I would say 95% of the new F/X look amazing and flawless. Very impressive!

There is so much more to say about this edit, not certain where to stop and start as I can not remember being this invigorated after watching a fan edit in a long time.

I loved opening titles, and how TMBTM brings Vader back after killing him in his previous edit.
Boba Fett is used brilliantly and has never seemed more menacing.
R2D2's subtitle zingers had me laughing throughout (though I did spot a couple of typos).
The Wampas subplot is great and very funny, who knew C3PO could be so clever!
The introduction of Yoda is inspiring.
Luke's vision--exceptionally clever.
The new music fits perfectly.

And again, so much more. Every scene has something new in it, making it almost a completely fresh viewing experience.

Now as much as I love this edit (I do plan on giving it a Perfect 10 for entertainment alone) not everything quite worked for me.

Humor is of course very subjective, so some of it works better than others. Not all the shifted around/new dialogue fits perfectly with the lip movement or with character reactions. The Han/Leia Hoth hallway scene did not work for me. But these are tiny quibbles.

The overall tone of the movie is a bit perplexing at times for me... not quite a grindhouse movie, not quite a full out comedy or parody, and not quite a dark drama....

...and it is this darkness I want to address.

First off, I loved it! It was a BOLD direction to go in. I actually wish there was even more of it.

But at times, it felt at conflict with the other material. As Luke's journey becomes darker (the sibling subplot is deliciously taboo and perfectly exploited!) sometimes the humor is a welcome tension relief (ie. R2D2) while at other times it felt weirdly forced, my main example would be Vader. In the first movie, his outbursts of dialogue from other movies was hilarious, but here, in this much darker story, he comes across as less funny and more as a schizo-lunatic. But maybe that is intentional, after all he goes through in the Opening Titles, I would be a wee bit cuckoo too.

I think I just found the final act so dark, unflinching and refreshing, part of me wished the entire movie was like this right from the beginning. But then that would be a completely different movie, wouldn't it?

As for this movie, I was immediately engaged and thoroughly enjoyed the ride! TMBTM has delivered a masterpiece of entertainment! In my opinion, it is even better than Part One.
I highly recommend it.
Thumbs (and toes) way UP!!!

Thanks TMBTM!:)

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE WAR OF THE STARS PART II by THE MAN BEHIND THE MASK

Excellence.

TMBTM has achieved something truly special here. Every second of this edit is endlessly interesting and wholly original. Never before have I seen anything like this, and it’s hard to believe I will ever see anything like this again. TMBTM has managed to take the films that we all by heart and make them feel new again. I was constantly asking myself “what next?” In a good way of course. Partly because I really had no idea at any given moment what would be changed, added, reworked, etc.; and because I kept wondering how TMBTM was able to make refreshingly new cuts in every scene.

Sure some of the audio/visual differences are jarring, but they are very easily overlooked. Honestly, my attention was on the story and the characters the whole time. Which are very different. Special note must go to the new music which greatly changes the tone of some scenes, and, well, it’s brilliant.

The new plot is insanely intriguing. And awesome. My favorite parts must be the opening, the cave sequence, the Vader/Emperor hologram conversation (the funniest part, I think), the hilarious fact that even though Boba Fett is extra bad-ass in this he still goes out like a punk, the sandstorm scene (perfect use of the War Horse soundtrack), and the killer ending (did NOT see that coming).

I was originally disappointed that this wouldn’t be a grindhouse edit, but my reservations were cast away fairly early. It might not be as fun as the first, but that doesn’t mean it’s not fun, because it’s definitely fun. And really funny too. In the end, even though it’s not grindhouse, it still feels like a sequel to the War of the Stars.

In closing, I want to say it’s been a true pleasure to watch this edit (and I’m sure I’ll see it many more times to come). Thank you The Man Behind the Mask. You have given us the greatest fan edit of all time. Because of that, I give THE WAR OF THE STARS PART II 10/10.

ghouldetail

Reaction score
Trophy Points
when word of this gets out you'll be on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. The first rock star faneditor :p
I found it really inspiring how TMBTM can find that much freshness and creativity in something as familiar as Star Wars. It's like Star Wars directed by Anthony M Dawson http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0546672/ I loved it.

yads

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great, great edit.
One thing I was expecting and sadly didn't happen: when the ewok (Paploo?) is on the speeder bike being chased, I was just waiting for a laser blast to reduce him to a blurry pile of fur and gore. Man that would have been sweet.

Other than that it was close to perfect.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guyz!

And Yads, lol, I (strangely) did not thought about doing that! :D

I guess I thought the purpose of the scene was about the Ewok to succeed, so there is no stormtroopers coming later to trap our heroes.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember asking about using ep III footage and you said "you smartass." Really liked this though, there was just so much that worked and I feel it's the perfect compliment to War of the Stars.

Favourite moments,
luke losing his concentration and poor michael sheard.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the review I posted on the edit page.

***SPOILERS***

TMBTM, you’re a genius. A genius. This was probably the most brilliant edit I’ve ever seen. Personally, I thought it was a ton better than the first WOTS, which I only gave 7/10 (maybe it was just not for me). I was wowed the whole time I watched this.

Technical quality – 10/10 – it was a tad fuzzy and some added scenes had worse quality than others, but given the type of edit this was it did not affect the viewing experience at all.

Editing – 10/10 – that rotoscoping and 90 new SFX shots… WOW. Just wow. I don’t know HOW you did the stuff you did, but it turned out wonderfully. My jaw was dropped the entire time I watched the before and after video – some of it was stuff that I didn’t even notice when I was watching because it was so seamless.

Presentation - 10/10 - cool cover art. The menu was nice and creative. The before and after montage was really interesting. Good job overall here.

Entertainment – 10/10 – as I said, this is probably the cleverest edit ever. The new opening explaining Vader’s survival is just beautiful. Then there’s a marathon of one jaw-dropper after another: the new snow creatures on Hoth, Yoda’s new entrance, the wonderfully color-corrected deleted scenes, the indescribable new sequences with Boba Fett, the revised Tatooine rescue, Boba’s explosive new death, and the ending… oh, the ending… I’ve already given a couple things away in this review, but I don’t want to give this away… all I can say is that it was beyond splendid – the rotoscoping was perfect, and it was just a brilliant idea in general… WOW. Wow, wow, wow. There were plenty of other things that amazed me, so many that I can’t even remember them all to list them. There were only a couple issues I saw: one, sometimes the new footage looked too obviously animated, but that’s ok. And sometimes the new lines did not go along right with the lip movements. There were only 4-5 times where this really stood out. As long as you were doing that much rotoscoping, maybe you could have just modified their lip movements a little bit. But it’s ok. Overall, this is still a stunning edit, two hours of pure joy. Thank you, TMBTM, for this fabulous fanedit experience. It was crazy insane AWESOME.

Overall – 10/10

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*Nothing in this review is meant as a personal attack on the editor. This is just one viewer's opinions on this fanedit*

****** WARNING SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW *********

As usual I've avoided reading any reviews for this edit. I followed the In-the-Works thread but didnt know much more going in then that there were going to be deleted scenes reincorporated and special effects added by TMBTM.

So I went in with War of the Stars: A New Hope Grindhoused not fresh in my mind at all! (having watched it only once quite a while back). It was nice to have a brief recap at the beginning. And then bam right away, this is not your average Star Wars movie! Awesome effects work and using old anakins face instead of Hayden Christensan!

All the Dagobah scenes were probably my favorite part of the edit. Changing Han and the Millenium Falcon to having light speed (instead of the "no light speed" and cloaking device talk) was very cool.

Effects work: I can only imagine how much time and effort went into all these effects so all I can say is great work. I did feel that some worked better than others. I was most blown away by old anakin on the operating table and Boba Fett in the dining room at Bespin (with the removal of Darth Vader from the scene). Also really liked the effect with Darth Vader eyes and the warped screen effect when Darth Vader was doing force chokes. And nice to see Ian McDiarmid in the hologram in place of the other actor who they used as the Emperor in ESB.

Voice/Dialogue replacement: For me this was hit or miss. There was some great Yoda stuff. i.e. the change in where "that is why you fail" comes in. And there were some that luckily enough matched perfectly (or you did effects work with the lip movements). Other places I understand dialogue replacement was necessary to the story you were setting out to tell, but it did take me out of the experience a bit but I commend you at trying out changing the lip movements with effects.

Music: The 80s style guitar rock stuff was kinda cool, and definitely gave a different feel to the Hoth scene with Luke riding the Taun Taun. But part of me didn't like the jumping around of the music from Star Wars themes to rock to Gustav Holst (although they all worked well).

Deleted Scenes: I know that the original source/conditions of most of the scenes were not that great and TMBTM did the best he could so I can't fault him on the quality of the scene. For the most part I liked the inclusion of the deleted scenes.

Some effects and/or deleted scenes that didnt work for me were a few in Jabba's Palace. Although having Luke and Leia (disguised in bounty hunter geat) did look really great. But mostly the thermal detonator rolling on the ground and Boba Fett appearing to look out of a door way at Leia and Luke, these shots just didn't look that great to me.

Entertainment wise this edit was a blast to watch. Maybe the most fun I've had watching a fanedit just seeing how TMBTM changed the storyline of Star Wars so cleverly and creatively!

So rating this is rather tricky. I rarely give 10s (I've only rated two edits 10s). But again as mentioned above in my review, some of the voice replacement didn't work for me, some of the new effects and added shots didn't work for me. And while there's no rule that says the tone has to be consistent in any movie, in my personal opinion the edit would have benefited from being a bit more consistent in tone. It felt sort of all over the place, and maybe that's what TMBTM was going for.

I give this a 9/10 A very entertaining edit and very very creative from an editing and storytelling standpoint.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
*Nothing in this review is meant as a personal attack on the editor. This is just one viewer's opinions on this fanedit*
I always think it's funny to see a statement like this and then see a 9/10 rating.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I always think it's funny to see a statement like this and then see a 9/10 rating.

Yes, I think its funny you always make this comment after one of my reviews :p

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Yes, I think its funny you always make this comment after one of my reviews :p
:oops:

DriggyDriggs

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Downloading the first War of the Stars right now. It's taking a while since it's "Rapid" Share (capped at 30 kbps and only 1 file at a time), but whatever. Going to watch them both this week! :)

Top Bottom