• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The War of the Stars II - The Future in Motion

If you are about to tweak the DVD, is it much asking to take out R2's lines from the optional English subtitles? As it plays now, one sees two text versions of the same line, one over another.

Dwight Fry said:
If you are about to tweak the DVD, is it much asking to take out R2's lines from the optional English subtitles? As it plays now, one sees two text versions of the same line, one over another.

Problem is that, I think, sometime when R2 speaks with someone else, removing his lines could cause the lines of the other characters to cover the hardcoded R2 lines.
I'll see what I can do. (the english subs are also overly long cause I used the movies scripts as a base and not actual subtitles...)

Neglify said:
Two words.

Dennis. Lawson.

Why? There was a typo in the original movie, that's it?

Speaking of him there is a little continuity problem in my edit for the Star Wars geek:
When a pilot says: Luke! meet you at the rendez-vous!

It's Dennis Lawson speaking (while in my edit he can't be there). but since we can't really see his face it's "okay".

TMBTM said:
Problem is that, I think, sometime when R2 speaks with someone else, removing his lines could cause the lines of the other characters to cover the hardcoded R2 lines.
I'll see what I can do. (the english subs are also overly long cause I used the movies scripts as a base and not actual subtitles...)

Have you tried putting a space as a placeholder for the R2 line in the subtitle?

Dwight Fry said:
Have you tried putting a space as a placeholder for the R2 line in the subtitle?

Thing is that I'm don't think the font size of subtitle workshop are the same than the ones used in DVD Lab Pro.
I basicaly "create" the text in Subs Workshop, then choose a size only once in DVD Lab Pro.
But maybe adding spaces could work. Just not sure of it.

TMBTM said:
Why? There was a typo in the original movie, that's it?

Yeah, Denis Lawson was credited as Dennis Lawson in the credits for Episode IV. My point was that if Ian McDiarmid's credit was the only mistake you could have said it was an homage to that.

bionicbob said:
I think I just found the final act so dark, unflinching and refreshing, part of me wished the entire movie was like this right from the beginning.

The way that TMBTM combined ESB and ROTJ worked so well that it made me wish for a serious fanedit that does the same. By "serious" I of course mean one that is intended to be a sequel to SW itself rather than to TWOTS. For a long time, I have found it hard to watch ESB through because I dislike the big revelation at the end intensely, and I have similar feelings about the revelation of "the other" in ROTJ (and share most of the other common misgivings about that film). ESB can obviously be edited relatively easily, but ROTJ has always presented a problem: combining the two might be the perfect solution -- one I had never thought of until watching TWOTS II. I wonder if TMBTM would consider attempting that sort of edit.

Captain Khajiit said:
The way that TMBTM combined ESB and ROTJ worked so well that it made me wish for a serious fanedit that does the same. By "serious" I of course mean one that is intended to be a sequel to SW itself rather than to TWOTS. For a long time, I have found it hard to watch ESB through because I dislike the big revelation at the end intensely, and I have similar feelings about the revelation of "the other" in ROTJ (and share most of the other common misgivings about that film). ESB can obviously be edited relatively easily, but ROTJ has always presented a problem: combining the two might be the perfect solution -- one I had never thought of until watching TWOTS II. I wonder if TMBTM would consider attempting that sort of edit.

In fact, while I watched, and despite a lot of this edit being comedic in nature, I kept thinking how well it played like an almost straight serious film, and in some aspects darker than the originals. I have no problem with the "big reveals", dunno if because I'm so used to them, but I'd love to see a serious take on this one some day.

Dwight Fry said:
In fact, while I watched, and despite a lot of this edit being comedic in nature, I kept thinking how well it played like an almost straight serious film, and in some aspects darker than the originals. I have no problem with the "big reveals", dunno if because I'm so used to them, but I'd love to see a serious take on this one some day.

+1, totally agree

Dwight Fry said:

I absolutely 110% agree. Whether intentionally or not, I think TMBTM may have hit upon the perfect blue print for creating a darker, more sinister, more dramatic alternate sequel to A NEW HOPE by combining TESB and ROJ into a singular film. ;-)

I had the same reaction as well, that this would make a great 'straight' edit.

(spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen the edit)

I haven't seen the first War of the Stars yet, but I watched this because of this month's contest. So while I can't compare it to the other edit, this was a very clever and entertaining work in its own right.

This edit seems to exist in its own little subgenre. The funny scenes lean towards calling this a parody, but it's not an outright (deliberately) silly movie like The Ridiculous Menace. For most of its running, it plays completely straight as an utterly fascinating alternate take on the Star Wars sequels.

Ingenious use of footage from RotS in a number of places, including the lava scene with Vader, and the "Nooooo!" scene from RotS turned into the dialogue between Vader and the Emperor about Luke from the middle of "Empire" (If you think about it, the conversation makes more sense there anyway). Also enjoyed Yoda landing on Dagobah.

Laugh-out-loud moments included Vader's "Noooo!" in the ship, and Han unexpectedly gunning Vader's ship down (both probably from WotS I, I'm guessing); the added dialogue from the snow troopers after one of them gets pulled into the doorway with the Wampa ("Nothing here"); Vader making Admiral Piett's head explode; Vader dropping everything to get a message from the Emperor, who tells Vader what he already knows about Luke, and then says, "Your work here is finished, my friend"; Boba Fett shooting Luke's hand off; Luke slicing the Emperor's throat; etc.

Loved the inclusion of the deleted scenes, including Threepio pulling the sign off of the door with the Wampa behind it.

Terrific new effects shots, many of which were so seamless that I found myself questioning whether or not they had even been added. Loved the addition of Sebastian Shaw in the Vader suit! Also enjoyed the cameo by the snow creatures from Star Trek '09. The effects shots were so good, this practically qualifies as a fan film rather than a fan edit!

Having Leia still turn out to be Luke's brother, but not having Vader be Luke's father, was a masterstroke. With careful editing, the story still made sense, and with the plot unfolding in a different fashion, I started to pay more attention, no longer knowing exactly how the story would end up.

And what a finale! Using the missing footage from the beginning of RotJ to imply that Luke fell to the dark side of the Force at the end . . . Wow! Didn't see that coming! It made me also wonder if it's possible to cobble together a WotS III with the remaining footage, with the Alliance going up against Luke. (Probably not, but it's fun to think about.)

To be honest, there were a few points where it dragged a bit. For instance, seeing Luke go into Cloud City twice (even if the results were different outside of the vision), and having Luke go to Dagobah twice in the same movie - it just seemed a tiny bit too repetitive and drawn out. (A tiny bit.)

I think the issue is simply combining two films with such great structure already. Of course, the emphasis is going to be slightly more on dialogue scenes than on action sequences. For example, it turns out that RotJ works just fine without the sail barge rescue or the speeder bike chase. But those were both great scenes, and the movie seems slower without them.

Of course, the alternative would have been to make this cut 20 minutes longer, which wouldn't have helped the overall pacing of the edit. I don't have a solution, just explaining my reaction.

Mind you, I realize that TMBTM's editing skills far outweigh mine by a considerable margin. The integration of the footage from the two movies, plus the deleted scenes, the special effects, and the music - masterful. My complaint is a very tiny one.

In conclusion, two thumbs up for TMBTM's seamless, professional-looking edit!

Thanks a lot :)

I agree that the pace slows a bit during the rebels briefing and them going to Endor + Vader and Palpy talking.
The Bike chase could have added action during that part, but I found that it would have looked too much like the original ROTJ and it means it also would need Leia being found by the Ewok, then the rebels group meeting her back at the Ewok village etc... = Too much Ewoks, IMO..
The little added blaster fight in the bunker is the moment when action is back on track.

TomH1138 said:
Having Leia still turn out to be Luke's brother

A lot of people's sexualities are confused right now.

TomH1138 said:

:lol: Now THAT would be an edit. ;-)

TomH1138 said:

Dwight Fry said:

Star-Wars-Male-Princess-Leia-Bikini-Costume.jpg

Thanks a lot :)

I agree that the pace slows a bit during the rebels briefing and them going to Endor + Vader and Palpy talking.
The Bike chase could have added action during that part, but I found that it would have looked too much like the original ROTJ and it means it also would need Leia being found by the Ewok, then the rebels group meeting her back at the Ewok village etc... = Too much Ewoks, IMO..
The little added blaster fight in the bunker is the moment when action is back on track

I'm glad you liked my feedback, TM!

Admittedly, it's a tough call. I honestly don't know if I have a better solution to what you did.

ROTFL!!!! Oh, man. As Anakin would say, "Oops!" :)

It's a shame that Frink isn't planning on doing a Ridiculous OT edit. The possibilities are endless!

TomH1138 said:
It's a shame that Frink isn't planning on doing a Ridiculous OT edit.
I never said that, I just said don't hold your breath ;)

Here's my review of the film.

Personally, I didn't enjoy the first War of the Star all too much. It was a great editing achievement but the overall experience just wasn't my cup of tea. At first I had no real interest in watching this film as already mentioned, the first left me quite unmoved and my DVR is so full of movies I didn't know if I'd have the time.

Boy, am I glad I watched this. The editing was fantastically done and I really enjoyed the film. Using the deleted scenes really helped give a different experience to the whole thing and made me feel as if I was watching Star Wars for the first time. While there was still a few nagging problems that I had with the first edit (the jarring styles of music and their quality used throughout, R2's humor being forced most of the time) I can't say that any of them really detracted from my enjoyment. If you had been able to degrade the new films' footage so it could have matched the OT better I think this film would have been perfect.

The ending itself was great, from the ROTJ deleted scenes which I'm glad were cut (made it clear the ending was just a big and better version of A New Hope) to the way the lightsaber battle was cut and lead to the whole new conclusion, everything just made me smile. I agree with what others had said, that I wish that there was more footage that could be used to create a third film as I really would love to see dark Luke. Initially I thought maybe you could use TPM and act if Luke was Maul but it just wouldn't be the same experience without the OT.

Overall, these two film were a nice different look at the OT and definitely helped me see the films in a whole new light. My earliest memory in my life is of Han Solo running away from the bunker on Endor before it explodes so now being able to see it in a whole new context will be quite fulfilling.

Thanks Hymie.
Glad you'll like this one better than the first one.

I did degrade the prequels footages (blur, grain, tint, etc..) but it's true they still look a bit different and too "clean".

Back
Top Bottom