• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Walking Dead - Comic Edition by MikeDrew87

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is about Rick Grimes trying to find his wife and son. This is an edited down feature length film from 8 episodes ( 6 from the first season and 2 from the second season). The movie is in chronological order using the flashbacks to set up the story from the beginning. I wanted to create a live action Walking Dead comic. This edit isn't about the whole show, it is about a man that is looking for his wife and son. Walking Dead is one of my favorite shows and I love the comics. So I thought I could maybe create a feature length film with it. Black and white sketch effect to create a that feel of the original comic.

Cut list/Changes

Re-arranged all the flashback scenes to fit the timeline
Added in new opening credits
Shortened up scenes with Rick, Morgan, and Duane
Cut out pretty much all the camp scenes
Cut out the tank scene with Rick and Glen (now he just falls of his horse and starts shooting)
Cut out scenes with Merle (doesn't exist in this edit)
Trimmed up the scene with Glen and Rick use guts to blend in
Cut out rooftop scenes watching Rick and Glen walk through the walkers
Cut out T-Dogs interactions with Merle
Cut out Glen mentioning Merle when he got back to camp
Added end credits with Creedance Clearwater Revival's "Who'll Stop the Rain"

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen it yet and I don't mean to nitpick/break down your edit before having had the chance to view it (obviously), but the first thought that hits me is this: If you're using flashbacks and it's in chronological order, won't that kind of disturb the narrative flow if you're jumping from flashback to flashback (forward in time)?

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wish AMC kept re-airing the older episodes in Black and White. The pilot episode included on the Blu-Ray in B&W was awesome and had a very creepy eerie feel to it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mikedrew87 said:
Black and white sketch effect to create a that feel of the original comic.

pugheadtilt.jpg

You lost me here. Could you post a sample clip to show what the effect looks like? My gut reaction is that regular B&W might work better.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Something in between these two is most likely what he means [MENTION=11366]addiesin[/MENTION]

pencil.gif

logcabin-after-clone_pencils.jpg

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used the flashbacks to help show what has happened. Like the opening scene is of Rick and Shane talking in the police car and they get the call to help with the high speed chase. Then Rick gets shot and the scene moves to Shane showing up at the school and telling Lori what happened. Then it goes to the hospital being evacuated, then to Shane, Lori, Carol, Carl, and Sofia on the interstate where Atlanta gets napalmed. Then Rick wakes up. Kinda just fills in some holes while Rick is still in a coma. I'll get some screen snaps of the edit and put them on here.
PS: How do I had a pic to my post??? Never done it before,Thanks.
Mike

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great to see you back MikeDrew. Since I have done cover for most of your releases I thought I would give this one a shot. I made 2 of them with different front images.
2v8ic9h.jpg

20pa3ad.jpg

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hey JJE-187,
Sorry i have been on a small hiatus. I have several edits I've been working on here and there, this was the first one done. I also have a Demons 1 & 2 edit I have finished that was requested by scrapesky. I have a few more double feature italian horror flicks too. Thanks for the covers, you always do excellent work on these. I'll PM you the other edits that I should be completed here in the near future as well. Again thanks for your great work and keep up your awesome covers. Thanks man,
Mike

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
JJE-187 FANTASTIC cover art, as usual, I must say :) Might I suggest coloring the WD font of the first cover with the blood red of the second cover? I don't know if there's a WD font out there, but I would also suggest putting the 'comic edition' at the bottom of the cover, over his legs. But even if it stayed as it was, I'd still use 'em :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mikedrew87 said:
PS: How do I had a pic to my post??? Never done it before,Thanks.
Mike

You need to upload to an image sharing site like imgur.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hmmm, this sounds interesting. i've looked around but haven't found any video clips. would be good to see what this concept looks like in action, particularly with this release being a front-page item.

Kuakuatsheu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Its Was good man ..Not to sound like a critic but the effect in some spots did not translate to well..at some point the editing towards the end of the shopping center scene i seen a few random quick cuts that dint look like they were supposed to be there..but i realy enjoyed it ...Video.8 Audio.9

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Waiting for this to hit info so I can check it out :D

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I made a small preview clip for you guys to check it out. Also PM me if you need a link for the full edit.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that's what I thought it'd look like based on the original post. I definitely feel like regular black and white would have worked better. Or some kind of Sin-City stylized color bleed-through on top of black and white.

As is, some shots have pretty decent composition but in motion the effect has little black squiggly lines and dots all over the picture, which pulls my eye away from the focus. Then some shots aren't clear so it makes the outline/drawing not work, like when Rick pulls his gun at 1:48.

If this were mine and I wanted to use that type of effect, I would probably try to sharpen the picture as much as possible before the effect, maybe even over-sharpen. Maybe since it's black and white tweak the brightness and contrast at this point. Then apply the effect, then add a smoothing effect on top to clear up the black splotches if possible, then maybe a very slight sharpener to bring it back to clear and avoid a blurry image. I have no idea if that would improve the picture, but that's what I would try.

And JJE-187 please don't use Comic Sans! :p There are so many alternatives and they're all better than Comic Sans.

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Addiesin, I did that as a lol thing because it was a "comic book" edit. I have been downloading other fonts to use and might do an alternate

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will look into that Cpr, I did a quick switch over to Dead Font Walking and am pretty happy with it

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It would have been a nice concept for a short but I don't think this would work for a feature edit. Something Sin City-ish or high contrast Black and White like Tears in the Rain would perhaps be better suited indeed :)

Top Bottom