• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Unofficial Official Newbie Welcome Thread

OpulentOne

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey there! Just wanted to pop in to say I wish I'd known about this community earlier. I love this entire concept and the people have been so kind and so talented. Have a great day everyone!

Jbuck

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi. I'm new to the fan edit world. I was recently introduced to it by someone who recut the Hobbit trilogy into one movie. I really liked his cut, but not 100%. So I watched another fan edit of the same thing. I also liked it, but not 100%. So I decided to do it myself. I've now made 2 Hobbit recuts. I know they're not perfect, but I like them and I'm proud of them. I look forward to what I can learn here. Speaking of which, I'm looking for a way to edit what is displayed on a screen. Does anyone have a resource?

I am also looking for a Star Wars episode 1 edit. Nothing crazy, just something with a little less Jar Jar and a sleeker storyline. I heard there was one like that. I'd do it myself, but if someone has already done it, I'd like to see it.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello and welcome to my buddy @uz000 who has been a long-time proponent of the merits of fanedits :)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi. I'm new to the fan edit world. I was recently introduced to it by someone who recut the Hobbit trilogy into one movie. I really liked his cut, but not 100%. So I watched another fan edit of the same thing. I also liked it, but not 100%. So I decided to do it myself. I've now made 2 Hobbit recuts. I know they're not perfect, but I like them and I'm proud of them. I look forward to what I can learn here. Speaking of which, I'm looking for a way to edit what is displayed on a screen. Does anyone have a resource?

I am also looking for a Star Wars episode 1 edit. Nothing crazy, just something with a little less Jar Jar and a sleeker storyline. I heard there was one like that. I'd do it myself, but if someone has already done it, I'd like to see it.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Welcome! Plenty of prequel edits to choose from, and you'll even find a discussion thread on it here. My personal pick would be L8wrtr's cut for Episode I.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I AM NEW. Hello. As an editor I go by INIGHTMARES. I've been reading up on the site, the FAQ, etc. I am glad things are taken so seriously, in terms of the submission process. I have something I'll be showing off soon, but in the meantime I want to say hello. I'll be around.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I AM NEW. Hello. As an editor I go by INIGHTMARES. I've been reading up on the site, the FAQ, etc. I am glad things are taken so seriously, in terms of the submission process. I have something I'll be showing off soon, but in the meantime I want to say hello. I'll be around.
Welcome! I’m sure you’ll find no shortage of people wanting to check out your edits. I’ve gotten some amazing feedback from all the friendly, knowledgeable people on this forum.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This alone should equate to 1000 likes! :) Glad to have you in the community!
haha I appreciate it. There is a lot to unpack and read about and learn. I will be lurking in that sense. But when I can I want to watch/help review. I am wondering if I am out of my depth here. Regardless this place is full of creativity.

Jof

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all,

finally decided to join in, after far too much time spent on this excellent forum.

To be honest I do have a couple of projects I'm thinking of submitting. Like a lot of people I got into this after watching many great Hobbit fanedits, not finding the one that 100% matched my sensibility and deciding I’d give it a shot myself. Spent way longer on it than planned, had tons of fun and learned a lot in the process, ending up with my own cut clocking in at about 3h30. As with many 1-movie Hobbit cuts, the resulting pacing felt a bit off so I thought I would try cutting it down into a 5 episode miniseries, and was very pleased with the result.

Following this, I’ve given the same treatment to the Lord of the Rings movies, resulting in a 13 episodes miniseries. Nowhere near as many cuts, mostly cutting it down into episodes with individual titles, cutting/switching orders of some sequences for improving the episodes’ flow and removing some things that bugged me in the original movies. The result works way beyond my expectations and I find leads to a quite different experience of the story, with more time to breath and are a lot more digestible than the original movies which, although I do love them, are quite an undertaking meaning I had not watched them in years.

Although this was very much done for my own enjoyment, I’m quite keen on sharing with others who may enjoy it too and hopefully get some feedback in the process.

So i'd like to know, has the Hobbit/LOTR been done to death already, or is this sufficiently different to get some interest?
In any case, I'm in now so talk to you guys soon.

Cheers

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome @Jof !

So i'd like to know, has the Hobbit/LOTR been done to death already, or is this sufficiently different to get some interest?
In any case, I'm in now so talk to you guys soon.

Cheers

The hobbit and the ST prequel trilogies have seen a lot of action, but that doesn't mean they've been done to death. Your contributions are just as welcome as anyone else's. I'm sure there are many in the community that would be interessted in your format :)

Kreeep

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heey :) New to the forums myself. I've got a couple of fan edits floating around online myself and thought it would be nice to join in on the discussion here too.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heey :) New to the forums myself. I've got a couple of fan edits floating around online myself and thought it would be nice to join in on the discussion here too.
whatcha got floating around? welcome. i'm quite new as well.

Murikamir

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly this site and the rules are a bit intimidating. I have lurked around, but never contributed (as is my fashion). But now that I am creating something I would like to share, after watching so many fine creation over the past year, I see all the rules about needing to be an active member in the community and have a 30 day old account with the website. While I have lurked around, I never made an account. I usually use reddit as my forum tool, there are just more people on it and it's more active. But now I fear my non-social behavior may result in I not being able to share my project with anyone. I just hope these facts don't weigh to heavily on the Academy Member judging my work, and that it can succeed more on it's own merit rather than based on the interpersonal relationships I haven't made online.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly this site and the rules are a bit intimidating. I have lurked around, but never contributed (as is my fashion). But now that I am creating something I would like to share, after watching so many fine creation over the past year, I see all the rules about needing to be an active member in the community and have a 30 day old account with the website. While I have lurked around, I never made an account... now I fear my non-social behavior may result in I not being able to share my project with anyone. I just hope these facts don't weigh to heavily on the Academy Member judging my work, and that it can succeed more on it's own merit rather than based on the interpersonal relationships I haven't made online.
I certainly hope the board isn't experiencing favoritism. I don't think it is. That is why I joined. Like you, I am very intimidated. I am working on my first edit to submit as well. I love that there is a higher standard for acceptance though. The work needs to be well executed. I haven't spoken to anyone high up. I'm sure they stay quiet until their review process finishes.

Top Bottom