• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Unofficial Official Newbie Welcome Thread

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1stBILLED said:
Hi all!

Brand new to all of this and am very excited to be part of this growing community. :)

Welcome to the community 1stBILLED. If you have any questions about the site please don't hesitate to reach out to staff. Again welcome! :)

pulp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi

Obviously I am new to this community, just wanted to say I'm a huge fan of movies of course. I've only seen a handful as i'm  very new, so i'm open if anyone has recommendations of fanedits, or extended editons i should check out.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome @"pulp" to the community!
A good place to start finding great edits to watch would be to use the Top Rated and Award Winners filters on IFDb.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I ought to introduce myself here. So here's the obligatory hello post. ;)

I had no idea there was such a community for fan edits until recently. I've spent a while digitizing my movie collection for putting it on a Plex server. I've just completed that project--finally--and while looking around for correct posters for the releases I own I stumbled across mention of spicediver's Dune Alternative Edition and Harmy's Despecialized Edition edits. Now I have a whole new rabbit hole to fall into.

I do some video editing of stuff I film for local dancers (I use a nice PC rig & Pinnacle Studio), and have been doing photography since I was a teen, so I have an idea of the effort put into these edits. My hat is off to the faneditors, you guys are amazing.

SanfordMorgan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello!
Just when you thought there is not much interesting left on the web.  :D I hope you're all doing well, pleasure to join this forum.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome and belated welcome to @"SanfordMorgan" & @"Racerx1969"!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Astaram" 

ieCejGtvc6S.gif

MrNemo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Howdy! Been lurking for a minute, and talking to folk one-on-one, but I figured it was time to introduce myself to the community at large. Used to work in the industry as a grip/LED technician before the world paused, and now I'm an overnight truck driver, looking to get that creative fix where I can. New to the editing community, and this forum has been very welcoming and friendly. I have a few ideas for some edits of my own, just need the time and a better rig to turn them into a reality. In the meanwhile, I'll keep digging y'all's edits. Keep doing the lord's work, and thanks for having me!

GBeditsmovies

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone! I'm GB, looking forward to watching all of your edits and showing a few of mine. Working on the final touches for one now, actually! Which edits should I seek out first?

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome to the forum GB. As to what edits to check out you might like to start with the Fan Edits of the Month. Here's a list of last year's winners. Personally I'd recommend starting with either @TM2YC's Blade Runner Penultimate Cut or @15MaF's Dune: Deluxe Edition both are absolute triumphs and, given their classic status, you probably already own the source too.

Last edited:

ClarkWayne

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello Faneditors and Fanedit enthusiasts! I’m new to fanedit.org, but not new to editing film. Many years ago, I grabbed a Bachelor's degree in visual effects and motion graphics - but editing has always been my passion. After college, I worked on a few dead end projects that were mostly pro-bono or "for exposure." I'm actually credited on IMDB, but I'd rather not share my name. And for the record, those projects aren't anything I like admitting to have worked on. After a short trek in the industry, I realized that the lifestyle wasn't for me and I took my career in a different direction. In my downtime I try to keep up the craft and make sure my skills are still pointed.

I'm a bit of a cinephile and I've argued with many friends that a great editor can make a bad film a watchable one. Long story a little less long, I was dared to make a fanedit. I put some things down on a timeline and what started as a dare over the course of the last several months has actually ballooned into something I'm quite proud to have put together. I currently have a cut of Batman v Superman that I'll be creating a WIP page for shortly. I'm taking up the pseudonym Clark Wayne. While it may be corny to some, especially given that my first edit is a Batman/Superman film, the name has a deeper meaning for me than just the alter egos of some caped comic book heroes.

A quick warning about me - I write books. My posts are always long, my emails longer, and my texts to friends always trigger the "media" text due to their length. It's not in my nature to be short with words.

I'm excited to share with this community.

FutureCapsule

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm fairly new to this fan edit site but I love movies have done all my life so how does this work
Hey John, I'm brand new to the site too. Welcome! I kinda fell into fan editing by accident when I was practicing color correction and then I discovered how big a community it was.

Volplane

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi! I am a total noob to the forums, but have been doing fan edits and special effects for darn near 20 years. I have watched FanEdits (Hal5000 rules) before but never really participated in the forums.

One of the reasons I am here is I have scenes I would love to get people's input on because the hive ind here is incredible. My approach to FanEdits is overly-ambitious for my skillset most of the time, but has driven learning special effects over the years too. So a lot of the scenes I make feature altered backgrounds and new effects, not always pulled off expertly but I enjoy trying to add things to FanEdits rather than just excise stuff (which is a wonderful art unto itself, but I like the process of making stuff.)

If anyone has tips on where's a good forum to seek input on those things, etc, I'd appreciate being pointed there! Otherwise excited just to be here and learn from this insanely advanced community.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome @Volplane and all of our newer community members!

Volplane, the best places and ways to get feedback would be to either start an Ideas thread or if you are actively working on a project to create an In The Works (ITW) thread. As an unapproved editor you're limited to two active ITW projects. If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to one of the staff. Again Welcome! :)

Volplane

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome @Volplane and all of our newer community members!

Volplane, the best places and ways to get feedback would be to either start an Ideas thread or if you are actively working on a project to create an In The Works (ITW) thread. As an unapproved editor you're limited to two active ITW projects. If you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to one of the staff. Again Welcome! :)
thank you so much!! I will check out those threads and get a feel for how to set one up properly!

Top Bottom