• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Unofficial Official Newbie Welcome Thread

bifurcation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey all,

I guess I'm the newest noob at the moment. I love the work you all are doing and hoping to contribute to it someday. I've been thinking about a simple fanfix to get started, (maybe of Breakfast at Tiffany's to remove the stuff that makes the film *ahem* unwatchable, at least for me.)

I just realized something that I'm curious about. Having just watched The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix, I could totally see doing an edit of that, but does having a Netflix subscription count as owning it? If they never release a DVD of it, will it always be a no-fly-zone?

Anyway, glad to be here!  :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome @"bifurcation" ,

bifurcation said:
I've been thinking about a simple fanfix to get started, (maybe of Breakfast at Tiffany's to remove the stuff that makes the film *ahem* unwatchable, at least for me.)

That would be a very welcome fanedit. It's regarded as a classic and I own it (as part of Hepburn boxset) but have never watched it because of the parts you refer to looking alarming.

bifurcation said:
I just realized something that I'm curious about. Having just watched The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix, I could totally see doing an edit of that, but does having a Netflix subscription count as owning it? If they never release a DVD of it, will it always be a no-fly-zone?

Thanks for asking. A Netflix subscription does not count as owning the source, neither does an Amazon subscription. Purchasing digital content from Amazon does count. The key word is "subscription", you are paying to have access to their content but you don't actually own it. You'll have to wait and see if they release it to DVD/blu-ray at some point. They usually do for the more popular shows.

bifurcation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Welcome @"bifurcation" ,

bifurcation said:
I've been thinking about a simple fanfix to get started, (maybe of Breakfast at Tiffany's to remove the stuff that makes the film *ahem* unwatchable, at least for me.)

That would be a very welcome fanedit. It's regarded as a classic and own it (as part of Hepburn boxset) but have never watched it because of the parts you refer to looking alarming.

bifurcation said:

Thanks for asking. A Netflix subscription does not count as owning the source, neither does an Amazon subscription. Purchasing digital content from Amazon does count. They key word is "subscription", you are paying to have access to their content but you don't actually own it. You'll have to wait and see if they release it to DVD/blu-ray at some point. They usually do for the more popular shows.

Thanks!

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I were to do a fan edit of say Netflix's Mute, would I be allowed to post it here?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Only if you don't source it from Netflix. If there's a DVD or blu-ray release ,you have to use that. If it's only on Netflix, then no. Or at the very least, I hear that iTunes releases are usable.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wrong thread.  And PM staff with future questions about the rules.

https://www.fanedit.org/rules/

If you have any questions with specific examples, please PM an Administrator or Moderator.

But since it was asked, the answer provided is correct.  You can use any legally bought source.  A streaming subscription (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.) does not count as buying the source, therefore it is not allowed.  Purchasing a show from Itunes is allowed.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1) Doesn't matter.  If you can't buy it, you cant use it, and a streaming subscription doesn't count.
2) Which part of "wrong thread" did you not understand?
3) Which part of "PM a staff member" did you not understand?

Consider this a warning.

AlphAnalysis

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everybody. I'm AlphAnalysis and I'm really just here to appreciate all the hard work faneditors in general do. I've always felt like so many bad movies are painfully close to being good movies, and the fanedit has proven this assessment right time and time again. It's a hell of a good public service that just doesn't get the appreciation it deserves. Seeing that edits still get regularly posted here warms my heart. Keep up the good work!

Ronock

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hey, I'm Ronock and I'm a freshman in college, I'm majoring in filmmaking with a focus on editing. I've always loved editing existing movies I love to make them better or experiment with them. I was recommended this forum by @"Masirimso17" who is staying at the same dorm hall as I am. I make movies in my spare time and love watching them. (that's pretty obvisous tho) Basically I love editing and really want to check out different people's interpretations of established movies and TV shows.

Dreamsnake

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone, 

My name is Brandon but I go by the production name of Dreamsnake Productions. I recently completed a final-ish cut of what I am calling, It - The Losers Only Cut. My intent with this edit is to combine It Chapter One and It Chapter Two and re-arrange the scenes so that the structure more closely resembles Stephen Kings original Novel. The current run time of this cut is just a hair over 4.5 hours. I understand there is a significant vetting process for getting new fan edits admitted into the IFDB, what I'm looking for currently is some help to get ready for that process. I'm not sure where I should be posting to look for folks willing to give some advice/notes, and I never want to be that newbie who's first post is a new thread asking for advice.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome Brandon, @"Dreamsnake" . Never a bad thing to ask for advice :)

If you head over to the In-The-Works section new editors are allowed 2 active project threads. There you can create a project thread to share examples and seek feedback.

Once your edit is 100% completed you'll want to reach out to staff to submit your edit to the academy for review. You'd then wait for an academy member to contact you to begin the review process. You'll receive feedback and support to finish any parts that might need polishing. Once it meets all the quality requirements your edit will be added to the ifdb database and you'll receive your faneditor badge.

You might want to take a look at the message at the top of the page with links to rules and guidelines. They might help answer any questions you may have. If they don't you can always PM a staff member.

Again, welcome! :)

zombiejim

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm so excited, I'd only ever heard of a supposed Topher Grace cut of Star Wars. I had no idea there was a whole hobby for doing this sort of thing!

Celestian

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone, I joined a couple of weeks ago but only getting round to introduce myself now. I've been messing around with my own fan edits for awhile now. None at all ready to be released as I'm still very much a learner. Never really knew how great the fan editing world was until I found this site. Some very exciting and interesting projects. I have seen a few fan edit movies, mainly batman redbook, superman redeemed and man of tomorrow. I would love to really watch some more edits but I find the fan edit world a bit of an ocean to navigate as there seems to be so many and so many starwars edits. ( I would insert a scream emoji here if I could )So I decided why not ask you fine folks on what your opinion is on the best fanedit movies out there to watch. It doesn't matter what genre. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks a mill

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome @"Celestian"! There certainly are a lot of projects here and it can be pretty overwhelming at the beginning. Malthus' link will help you get some ideas based on things you might be interested in. Also, reading some reviews of edits can help, although they might spoil edits a bit.

Trez75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello all,

Newbie to the forum. Generation X. Fan of 80s movies and cinematography. 

Works in the subtitling entrainment industry and longtime skate rat.

Thx for having me.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome @"Trez75"! Glad to have you :)

1stBILLED

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all!

Brand new to all of this and am very excited to be part of this growing community. :)

Top Bottom